Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#721983 - 11/30/11 03:38 PM TFO Rods
Fish Guru Offline
Alevin

Since Loomis seems to be continually goin g downhill I was thinking about trying TFO rods out. Anyone have any experience with them ?

#721987 - 11/30/11 03:44 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: Fish Guru]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I only have one purchase of an eight weight. The components and construction are top notch. thumbs

#721997 - 11/30/11 04:09 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: slabhunter]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Like any other manufacturer, they have their fans and their critics.

I have a TFO 12'6" 6-wt. two-hander that I like a lot. Fun rod to fish. Strung up with an Airflo 450gr. Scandi head, it's a rocket launcher.

At a similar price point, you might also consider Echo rods. No matter what you buy, cast it first.

#722002 - 11/30/11 04:27 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: FleaFlickr02]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Like any other manufacturer, they have their fans and their critics.

I have a TFO 12'6" 6-wt. two-hander that I like a lot. Fun rod to fish. Strung up with an Airflo 450gr. Scandi head, it's a rocket launcher.

At a similar price point, you might also consider Echo rods. No matter what you buy, cast it first.

I agree. Since ths is a first post with no history; cast it first. Everybody is different. Find what is comfortable for you.

#722014 - 11/30/11 04:51 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: slabhunter]
RogueFanatic Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap Co.
I have a baitcaster from a few years back and I really like it. Not sure if they still make them but I'd buy another in a heartbeat. As mentioned above, hard to beat for the price point...

#722027 - 11/30/11 05:29 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: Fish Guru]
Fish Guru Offline
Alevin

Thanks guys, I guess I could have been more specific. I'm looking for a new baitcaster to try without dropping a bunch of money. I have Loomis' and St Croixs now but kind of just want to try something else. Being stuck here in Suckramento I don't really have the option of playing with one first, it's almost always a roll of the dice when i order a rod. I'm looking at the 9' 8-12 model right now, if comparing to a Loomis action wise( when they were good) what series are these rods the most comparable too?

#722029 - 11/30/11 05:35 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: Fish Guru]
Drifterman1 Offline
Smolt

Loc: Gods country
One word...1082IMX. Not that much has changed from what I read. Otherwise try NFC. If moneys not a problem, the worlds your oyster.

Edited by Drifterman1 (11/30/11 05:37 PM)

#722032 - 11/30/11 05:46 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: Drifterman1]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
I have one of the Loomis designed TFO spinning rods: 9 ' 8-17. It's a decent rod, but significantly less power for the line rating than any Loomis or Lami I've fished with. I actually had my hands full with the 7 lb wild steelhead I caught on it the only time I've fished it. It's also a moderate action rod, so the casting stroke is slower than most current Lami's and Loomis. Not a bad hardware rod though. For the money, it's ok, but I think there are better rods out there. Mine's going to serve as a spare rods for guests I don't trust with my favorites.

#722048 - 11/30/11 06:06 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: Wild Chrome]
Fish Guru Offline
Alevin

Drifterman I am currently using the 1082IMX spinner and 1084 casting, love them but not in the position to spring for another. I like to carry two rods, one for spoons and one for roe and just want to add more weapons to the mix. I don't need a new rod just saw these and was interested.
Sounds like these rods are underpowered and that won't work for me, i like faster rods over slower actions.
Thanks again for the input guys

Edited by Fish Guru (11/30/11 06:12 PM)

#722107 - 11/30/11 08:54 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: Fish Guru]
{IDAHO}SHKID Offline
Fry

I have the 9' 8-12lb model, great stick for the price!

#722144 - 11/30/11 10:49 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: {IDAHO}SHKID]
Divers Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I have and use Loomis and Sage gear/Fly rods but the TFO 9' 6-12 4 pc did fine.

I was in the market for a 4pc gear rod and somebody on here gave me some info about TFO at Ted's.
Not a bad rod for $89 and it 's a 4 piece. I can't find any other brand who makes a 9' + gear rod in 4pc.

Definitely worth the money. I just don't care for the blue blanks so i repainted mine Black but no complaints.

#722179 - 12/01/11 12:27 AM Re: TFO Rods [Re: Divers]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Originally Posted By: Divers

Not a bad rod for $89 and it 's a 4 piece. I can't find any other brand who makes a 9' + gear rod in 4pc.

Wright McGill makes a couple. They are pretty nice as well.

http://www.wright-mcgill.com/trevor-storlie/sportsmans-traveler-series-rods

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#722185 - 12/01/11 12:50 AM Re: TFO Rods [Re: {IDAHO}SHKID]
Mingo Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kona, Hawaii
I have a garage full of rods and I've had quite a few Loomis and Lamiglas rods over the years, Sage too.... I think TFO offers some excellent value for the money. I have 8 TFO flyrods, 3 spinning and 1 casting rod, all multi-piece travel models. They base their products on old-school but reliable IM6 graphite with some "sweeteners" in the formulas of certain models to make them tougher, cuter, less filling or more breakage-resistant, like the TicrX coatings.

Personally, I like the actions but they are very different from one model to the next. For example, the 8-17 lb 7' Loomis 3 pc travel spinning rod (which I have and like) is a different animal entirely from the 8'6" 4 pc 8-17 lb rod (which I also have and like). I'd compare the action of the longer rods more to GL3 Loomis sticks....maybe not as sexy as super brittle higher-modulus sticks, but tough and light enough to be fun to use all day.

I have a couple of the Loomis - designed TFO rods (and spent a fun hour or so with Gary at the Puyallup show in the TFO booth hearing about the new stuff ) plus their Pro, Axiom, Clouser, Ticr, TicrX and Bluewater flyrods from 5 wt through 14 wt. I plan to keep them, and I'm not easy on my gear. I guess my days of blowing $600 on one rod are over.....I'd rather spend money on more trips to warm places smile

#722220 - 12/01/11 03:58 AM Re: TFO Rods [Re: {IDAHO}SHKID]
superfly Offline
The Renegade White Man

Loc: The Coast or the Keys !!!
one word................loomis suck goat ass ! buy a Lamiglas or Rainshadow !!!!!!

Peace
Fly

360-888-7772

Stay Tuned for upcoming Hunts & Fishing info...........

New website & Channel Dropping soon !

Stay tuned for Turkey, Bear & Deer Hunts Along with Guided Sport Fishing.

Book Release Prior to Christmas 2021

#722222 - 12/01/11 04:10 AM Re: TFO Rods [Re: superfly]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
Your a poet Fly

#722225 - 12/01/11 07:44 AM Re: TFO Rods [Re: superfly]
TJN Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tulalip, Wa
Originally Posted By: superfly
one word................loomis suck goat ass ! buy a Lamiglas or Rainshadow !!!!!!

Peace
Fly

Dude! Whaddya got against goats.??? rofl

#722253 - 12/01/11 11:45 AM Re: TFO Rods [Re: TJN]
SkykomishSunrise Offline
Juvenile at Sea

The typical complaint that I hear about TFO rods is regarding the quality of the cork they use. Other than that, I have heard from quite a few guys who are happy with whatever TFO rod they purchased. Speaking from my own experience, I pretty satisfied with my TFO 13'6" 8/9 Deer Creek spey rod.

Bill McMillan

#722283 - 12/01/11 01:51 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: SkykomishSunrise]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
TFO sticks are decent. The quality, fit and finish aren't the best, but continue to improve.
They do offer a great value and their customer service is top notch if you ever need it. I own a couple of TFO's and don't regret buying any of them.

#722294 - 12/01/11 02:21 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: stonefish]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I have Loomis, Sage, Scott, Orvis and one TFO. All fly rods. I bought a 6 weight 10 Foot TFO to use in salt water and for chucking and ducking. It's held up well and for the money it’s hard to beat. I have to say that overall the GLX Loomis and Sage are great sticks but they were all over 600 bucks which was well worth it when you could snap the rod in your car door and get a replacement cheap. Since I haven't broken a rod for a few years I haven't had the need for a replacement and I’ve heard Loomis now wants an explanation and they give no guarantee that they will replace them as in the past. Car door snaps may not be a good excuse anymore!

#722296 - 12/01/11 02:26 PM Re: TFO Rods [Re: gooybob]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
I forgot to say that I used my TFO to smack down Stonefish and it held up well. It left really cool looking lacerations. But the best part was when I did a double reverse rod but slam on his hard head. The cork held up well too!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1180 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |