Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#725768 - 12/15/11 05:13 PM Jerky thread #2
big moby Offline
Carcass

Loc: varies
Ok, Tried the yoshidas and it was great. that got the ball rolling for me this year. I am going to do a couple of batches over the next few weeks. I am hoping we could discuss some recipes and or good things to add to already existing recipes..

Last year horror story. Made a large batch from a nice Muley I shot last year. followed one of the recipes from the big chief smoker book. Turned out like dog $hit! If fact, given the choice between eating dog $hit and that jerky I would have had to think about it... way too salty! wouldn't give it to my lab for fear of hypertesnion.

I'll start with another one I did recently that turned out good.
Rolled meat directly in some sodium nitrate (1/2 cup for a large batch) I got from the butcher and also used brown sugar. let sit for awhile then added about a cup of yoshidas, 4 cups of apple juice and some red pepper flakes. soaked overnight, smoked with 3 pans of alder, cooked in oven at 180 for another 2 hours. Even my wife grubbed on it and she is super picky...

#726598 - 12/19/11 04:52 AM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: big moby]
Achewter Offline

Loc: N of Seattle
waiting for a good one here

#726650 - 12/19/11 01:27 PM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: Achewter]
big moby Offline
Carcass

me too!

#726990 - 12/20/11 06:19 PM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: big moby]
stlhdr42 Offline
Spawner

Loc: where the fish swim
I've done 20lbs or so lately. Elk jerky. Its come out great. I use Hi Mountain Seasonings jerky cure and seasoning. I start with a 8-10 lbs roast, slice jerky sized pieces and sprinkle the seasoning on it. It soaks for 24hrs and then is put into a traeger bbq/smoker and set on low heat/ hi smoke for 4- 6 hrs depending on outside temp, thickness of pieces, and load size. I like mine meaty and a little chewier, but put some into the oven after smoking to toughen it up and make it more jerky like. Pretty easy jerky. Only problem I have is after a week and half to 2 weeks the jerky will start to get moldy spots in the fridge. Doesnt matter how long its smokes or in the oven it all molds the same. Normally it gets eaten within a few days so its no big deal but last batch sat around and had to be throw out a few lbs that were left. Anyone else have mold issues?

#726994 - 12/20/11 06:36 PM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: stlhdr42]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
vac pack and freeze.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#727329 - 12/21/11 07:42 PM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: stlhdr42]
big moby Offline
Carcass

yes. my guess is water content and not enough nitrate/salt. like dogfish said, a vacuum pack program will prevent. most jerky's suggest freezing after 2 weeks. it would be cool to figure out a process that would result in a product that would not require cooling...

#727655 - 12/23/11 01:53 AM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: Dogfish]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Dogfish
vac pack and freeze.

That's the key, but have the vacpac ready when it's hot off the grill and start stuffing bags and seal hot.... Savors the flavors and moisture... Plus it will pull in more flavor as it thaws so add some sort of flavor prior to sealing, personally I like a sweet/spicy bbq sauce in light amounts with some tapatio sauce for some extra kick oh and don't forget about a couple good shakes of cracked black pepper...

Keith

#727672 - 12/23/11 11:18 AM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: stlhdr1]
big moby Offline
Carcass

how do you add the liquid and not fu.k up the seal?

#727723 - 12/23/11 02:15 PM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: big moby]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Push over ride and seal before the juice comes out. Or freeze first then seal while frozen.Good luck,
SZ

#727823 - 12/23/11 07:24 PM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
hybridcx Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: sequim, Wa
I have been using the same recipe for years now, I use yoshitas, honey, hot sauce, and a little water. slice meat(elk, deer, beef) and put into zip loc bag for a day or two in fridge flipping once or twice a day.. then I rack it on cabalas oven jerky racks these things are killer. crack oven at 185 degrees till done, when we lived in Monroe and were on natural gas it would be 6-8 hours. now in Sequim and on electric about 4 hours. keeps in a zip loc counter top for 3-4 weeks even big batches doesn’t make it longer than this.. everyone that tries it likes it, although I will say with deer it is just good... but everything else is great...

#727828 - 12/23/11 07:38 PM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: big moby]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: big moby
how do you add the liquid and not fu.k up the seal?

You add just enough and it's more of a sauce than a liquid anyhow so it doesn't screw up the sealing process...

Just do this:
6 pounds meat
1.5 cups soy sauce
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup Yoshidas regular
Teaspoon cracked black pepper
Teaspoon Sriracha (rooster sauce)
1/2 cup garlic powder
3 caps liquid hickory smoke

Cut meat to 1"x1"x length of want, Mix all together, soak meat at fridge temp for 24 hours mixing every 8 hours or so... Pull out wet put on smoker, sprinkle cracked black pepper on, smoke/dry for 4-6 hours to desired doneness, then follow the steps I mentioned above for the sealing process...

Dynomite!! Matter of fact, you won't look back... It's taken me years to dial this one in...

Keith

#728028 - 12/24/11 10:58 AM Re: Jerky thread #2 [Re: stlhdr1]
big moby Offline
Carcass

thanks Keith, will use next week!

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (seabeckraised), 829 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |