Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#730351 - 01/04/12 02:59 PM 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper

A young Oklahoma mother shot and killed an intruder to protect her 3-month-old baby on New Year's Eve, less than a week after the baby's father died of cancer.
Sarah McKinley says that a week earlier a man named Justin Martin dropped by on the day of her husband's funeral, claiming that he was a neighbor who wanted to say hello. The 18-year-old Oklahoma City area woman did not let him into her home that day.

On New Year's Eve Martin returned with another man, Dustin Stewart, and this time was armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. The two soon began trying to break into McKinley's home.

As one of the men was going from door to door outside her home trying to gain entry, McKinley called 911 and grabbed her 12-gauge shotgun.

McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO that she quickly got her 12 gauge, went into her bedroom and got a pistol, put the bottle in the baby's mouth and called 911.

"I've got two guns in my hand -- is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" the young mother asked the 911 dispatcher. "I'm here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?"

The 911 dispatcher confirmed with McKinley that the doors to her home were locked as she asked again if it was okay to shoot the intruder if he were to come through her door.

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told her. McKinley was on the phone with 911 for a total of 21 minutes.

When Martin kicked in the door and came after her with the knife, the teen mom shot and killed the 24-year-old. Police are calling the shooting justified.

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Det. Dan Huff of the Blanchard police said.

Stewart soon turned himself in to police.

McKinley said that she was at home alone with her newborn that night because her husband just died of cancer on Christmas Day.

"I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO. "It's not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn't going to be my son. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."

#730352 - 01/04/12 03:04 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: fish4brains]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Tally one up for the good guys. Brave woman.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#730353 - 01/04/12 03:09 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: ColeyG]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
I'd like to tally up two for the good guys. Too bad she didn't shoot both of them.

#730358 - 01/04/12 03:28 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: CedarR]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Another example of justice being an individual thing and not an institutional thing. The young mother asked the dispatcher if she could shoot the intruder.

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told her.

Why the hell didn't the dispatcher say what the Detective said?

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Det. Dan Huff of the Blanchard police said.

Too bad she wasn't able to shoot the second guy who is obviously a waste of oxygen.

Sg

#730381 - 01/04/12 04:30 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: Salmo g.]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
If there coming in shoot.If there leaving shoot then drag back in.Good luck,
SZ

#730382 - 01/04/12 04:40 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
docspud Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Silverdale Wa
Bet that little SOB thought O's--t when he saw that twelve guage. Likely made the knife seem not so significant.

#730385 - 01/04/12 04:54 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: docspud]
Waterboy Offline
Returning Adult

Must be more to the story.......

#730414 - 01/04/12 05:38 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: Waterboy]
GutZ Offline
The Original Boat Ho

Loc: Bellevue
Yeah, I bet there is. I would like to know if she used lead or steel shot and what size.

#730424 - 01/04/12 05:48 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: ]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Good for her .. .. also curious what shot she used, probably a varmint load. .. . since that is what she used it on. .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#730433 - 01/04/12 06:00 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: FishRanger]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
From the news it appears to be a double barrel, not sure if he got both barrels.

#730442 - 01/04/12 06:22 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: Salmo g.]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Why the hell didn't the dispatcher say what the Detective said?

For a bunch of good reasons, I suspect

* Dispatcher is a 911 dispatcher, not a trained law/law enforcement person. She may not know the law, or even if she does, feel comfortable dispensing legal advice.
* Dispatcher was in the moment, the detective was answering a reporters question in the aftermath
* Dispatcher is in a position where incorrect advice could land the caller and possibly a mistaken dispatcher in a pile of trouble. Detective can say just about anything to a reporter with little risk professionally or legally.

While I understand I represent the minority on this topic -- the best data I've seen shows the net effect of having guns in the house is to be LESS safe, not more. While it's a complex issue, I think cheering individual success stories (like this one) and dismissing the failures (accidents, etc) can lead to evaluate the costs vs. benefits incorrectly.

#730447 - 01/04/12 06:30 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: IrishRogue]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
to bad she'll go to prison for man slaughter.

just sayen.

#730449 - 01/04/12 06:40 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: Brewer]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
No she won't.

I have 20 bones that says so.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#730450 - 01/04/12 06:42 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: Brewer]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
Originally Posted By: Brewer
to bad she'll go to prison for man slaughter.

just sayen.

A "what" slaughter?.......Not a man, for sure.
This whole thing is too surreal.

#730452 - 01/04/12 06:59 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: ParaLeaks]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Good summary on the dispatcher issue IR.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#730466 - 01/04/12 07:37 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: ColeyG]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
ask the old timer who found a guy thiefen his motor several months back. he shot the guy dead, for thiefen right? isn't he being prosecuted?

all i'm saying is this, in this pussywhipped liberal country we all live in. thieves, pedophiles, rapists and goat molestors can't be killed while thier doing thier favorite activities. you kill anyone of these jackholes, your going to prison. the irony is that prison is stuffed to the sh!thouse sanitary vent, with the exact people she just killed.

#730470 - 01/04/12 07:48 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: Brewer]
FishRanger Offline
Carcass

Loc: Where ever Dogfish tells me to...
Brewer, big difference between getting shot stealin a motor in the backyard VS coming into a bedroom with a large knife, after breaking in the exterior door and the victim being on the phone with the police. . .. . .She walks away clean, unless there is a lot more to the story. . .
And she doesn't live in WA. . . .

Decisions are made by those who show up.

"Shallow men believe in luck. Strong men believe in cause and effect." Ralph Waldo Emerson

#730474 - 01/04/12 07:52 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: FishRanger]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Two entirely different situations, which is obvious unless you're a complete goat.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#730481 - 01/04/12 08:13 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: Dan S.]
gvbest Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Pretty sure the Detective explained it as self-defense/justified. Interesting what you see when you look at the entire article.

#730482 - 01/04/12 08:19 PM Re: 18 yr old woman kills intruder to protect baby [Re: gvbest]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Most states have what is typically called a Castle Doctrine that says the application of deadly force is reasonable (thus no civil liability) when protecting your place of dwelling (and occupants) from violent intrusion.

This case would seem to be a perfect example of the doctrines intent.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Bucktail, Richard E.
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |