LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73945 - 10/02/06 06:04 PM Lake Whatcom kokanee?
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Does anyone fish kokanee in Lake Whatcom? If so, what part of the lake do you fish? Depth?

Thanks,
Kaiser D.

#73946 - 10/04/06 09:39 AM Re: Lake Whatcom kokanee?
Mike C Offline

Loc: Redmond
There was a recent report for Whatcom, report was the water level is down. Be aware of changing rules regardign motor use on this lake (sorry, I don't have the specifics).

#73947 - 10/06/06 07:19 PM Re: Lake Whatcom kokanee?
Hippie

Thanks Mike. I live next to the lake and I have to say the water is low but that is normal for this time of year. I know they try to lower it in anticipation of the rain that will eventually show up. I believe they also use the Middle Fork (Nooksack) diversion to control input and use the Whatcom Creek dam to control outflows.

I'm not totally clear on the new motor use restrictions but I'm a 4-stroker anyway. I think they may have just banned 2 strokes in the "Bellingham" portion of the lake (Basin 1). I don't think the county followed suit. Based on the loud voices in the last couple years, I feel like I'm one of the few boaters that supports the restrictions. I suppose that is especially easy to say since I got rid of my 2 stroke but I supported the restrictions even back then.

-Kaiser D.

#73948 - 10/06/06 09:44 PM Re: Lake Whatcom kokanee?
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
Kaiser D., I have several really informative article on the kokanee fishery in other lakes. I believe the same tactics should work in any impoundment that has good #'s of fish. You are right, temp. has a lot to do with it. But remember that they feed year round so you need a good fish finder to locate the schools and once you determine the proper depth you begin the process of elimination as to what they prefer to strike. It is almost impossible to "match the hatch" so keep changing out your offering until you find what works best for that body of water. I know that sounds time consuming, but the rewards are great. I have fish them in several lakes and have done best in late spring, summer(at night) and into the fall when the temp. stays up like now. I have never trolled for them, just still fished with bait once we located the school. I don't know how to post the articles (STS) but would be willing to copy them and send you if you would like. Send me a PM and let me know.

#73949 - 10/12/06 05:55 PM Re: Lake Whatcom kokanee?
Hippie

Laterun,

I appreciate the offer for copying and sending the articles but, at this point, I think I've probably read enough by doing "google" research. Now, I just need to give it another go! I certainly think you are right about still fishing. It seems like this would at least help figure out the depth/temperature issue and help get me in the game. I'll post some pics if I can get out and try it again. Thanks again for your suggestions.

-Kaiser D.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (NOFISH, Tug 3), 1134 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |