THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#740740 - 02/14/12 10:47 PM pink worms under a float...?
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
What's your favorite way to fish a pink worm under a float? A couple weeks ago I rigged one up on a leader like you would for drift fishing and just tied it to the business end of my 1/2 ounce inline weight. I also added a couple #7 split shots spaced out evenly on my leader. I ended up hooking my fish that day on jigs but when I was fishing the worm like this I liked the action it had as opposed to fishing a worm on a jig head. I'm talking bank fishing here as I've already found out they work great when bobber dogged from a boat. thanks for any input.

Drew

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#740750 - 02/14/12 11:36 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: steeliedrew]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
My favorite way to fish them under a float...is to not use a float.

smile

But...I have been known to put one under a float on my centerpin rod on occasion, and I rig them the same way as for driftfishing, I just slide a Dedfish or small bullet sinker down on top of it.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#740757 - 02/14/12 11:49 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Todd]
Tackle Man Offline
Alevin

Loc: Redmond, WA
I fish mine with a in line slinky,5-8 balls of .300 shot with 18-24 in of 15 lb leader to a 2/0. Almost forgot fixed floats only.

#740765 - 02/15/12 12:26 AM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Tackle Man]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Drew,

Bobber dog em!

#740796 - 02/15/12 07:39 AM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Timber]
Nemesis Offline
Fry

Loc: Mass.
rig it wacky style. hook it right in the middle. Jig it to give it some action like the bass guys. Its the shiznit!

#740799 - 02/15/12 08:59 AM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Tackle Man]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: Tackle Man
I fish mine with a in line slinky,5-8 balls of .300 shot with 18-24 in of 15 lb leader to a 2/0. Almost forgot fixed floats only.

That's pretty much the only way I saw them fished in Canada - where the worm for steelhead came here from- for the first 10 years I saw them fished there. -1983- 93. It's how I still fish them most of the time.

Rig them anyway you like. Not sure it matters much as long as the worm is down there dancing.

#740827 - 02/15/12 12:03 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Dave Vedder]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
As Dave said, the important part is making sure it is at the right depth and has good action.

I typically fish mine on a 3/8th's jig head, on a leader, below an inline keel sinker and sliding float.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#740832 - 02/15/12 12:24 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
I alway keep my leader short and add splits to the leader to keep it in the zone I want to fish.
All the worms I have are floating. Does anyone make a sinking worm that has the same wiggle action a floating worm has?
I found some Yamamoto Bubblegum senkos that I was thinking of rigging wacky. I like the fact they sink but I'm just not they'll give the great action the floaters offer.
Anyone tied senkos or simiar sinking type worms for steelies?

#740833 - 02/15/12 12:25 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: ColeyG]
OnTheDrop Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Western WA
Cut the hook off a bass jighead that will hold the worm head good, then tie a short leader from the eye to a siwash hook inserted a little father down the worm body.

#740837 - 02/15/12 12:46 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: ColeyG]
Driftfishnw Offline
Steelhead Hitman

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
As Dave said, the important part is making sure it is at the right depth and has good action.

I typically fish mine on a 3/8th's jig head, on a leader, below an inline keel sinker and sliding float.

+100

#740910 - 02/15/12 04:43 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Driftfishnw]
OPfisher Offline
The Golden Boy

Loc: wa/ak
jig head, bait weight, bobber dog, they all work great, the biggest thing is where the hook is in your worm

http://www.olympicpeninsulaoutfitters.net/
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Olympic-Peninsula-Outfitters/

#740930 - 02/15/12 06:47 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: stonefish]
redhook
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: stonefish
I alway keep my leader short and add splits to the leader to keep it in the zone I want to fish.
All the worms I have are floating. Does anyone make a sinking worm that has the same wiggle action a floating worm has?
I found some Yamamoto Bubblegum senkos that I was thinking of rigging wacky. I like the fact they sink but I'm just not they'll give the great action the floaters offer.
Anyone tied senkos or simiar sinking type worms for steelies?

Stone,

Outlaw worms dont float, and have excellent action.. i havent gotten to use them on Steelhead yet, but this last fall the Chum and Silvers hammered the hell out of them, so i assume they would work just as well... the worm on the far right (light bubblegum pink) also sinks, but i dont remember the name of the brand... but you can use it as reference... also, as you know, make sure you pay attention to the packaging, as some of them are salted/scented, and cant be used on Selective Gear Fisheries...

personally, i like mine to float a bit, i run a small #14 corkie on top of the worm, as i found when i didnt, i hung up on the bottom quite a bit... i use larger hooks than most do tho,( mainly 1/0 but some 2/0) so that could be why they kept getting hung up... with the corkie tho, i eliminated that..

#740933 - 02/15/12 07:22 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: steeliedrew]
Steel Slayer Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Olympia
I usually rig them with the worm weight or on a jig head, check out this way of doing it. http://www.csnnw.com/pages/video?PID=I9suvpiSB_1u61wbcarRqmNL87cdrOOB

#740989 - 02/15/12 11:21 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Steel Slayer]
chrome/22 Offline
Captain C/22 - Team Stay Up Right!

Loc: Hurricane Ridge , Wa.
General Zog speaks !!

c/22

#740994 - 02/15/12 11:36 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Steel Slayer]
MikeH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Washington
Originally Posted By: Steel Slayer
I usually rig them with the worm weight or on a jig head, check out this way of doing it. http://www.csnnw.com/pages/video?PID=I9suvpiSB_1u61wbcarRqmNL87cdrOOB

Thats a pretty good looking presentation. Nates would eat it up for sure.

#741004 - 02/15/12 11:50 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: chrome/22]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Thats a cool way to rig em for sure. I run 40lb. power pro to a 10 ft. section of 15lb mono before my inline weight. I use a double uni-knot to attach the mono to the braid.

I add on that section of mono for two reasons. 1.) I don't like any of that high vis braid under the water in-line with my offering below the float. 2.) The mono acts as a nice shock absorber since braid doesn't stretch. I have a lot of confidence in the double uni-knot and have put a number of fish on my knots before I'll re-tie them just to freshen things up.

I often think about how unsightly an inline weight or a slinky is when float fishing, especially in clearer water conditions and I like the way Herzog rigs that setup in the video with the split shot.

I normally run 10lb. flouro leaders when I fish float and jig. That video got me thinking...Maybe instead of tying my usual 1/2 oz inline weight onto the length of 15lb. mono I could eliminate the inline weight and double uni-knot my flouro leader to the mono, and use the split shot to balance my float. That just seems like a way more stealthy approach than a 1/2oz of lead hanging only a few feet from my offering. My only concern is if the double uni knot would be as strong when using it to join flouro to mono as it is when I use it to join mono to braid?

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#741009 - 02/15/12 11:55 PM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: steeliedrew]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I bet if you painted the inline weight pink, and put a hook on it, about every third fish you catch would be on that hook. Steelhead aren't exactly selective wink

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. Skip the braid...it's for halibut and salmon fishing in the salt...lingcod, too.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#741014 - 02/16/12 12:04 AM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Todd]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

I got a smolt on a rvrfshr worm. 75 percent off at the sportsman show.

#741016 - 02/16/12 12:11 AM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: Todd]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: Todd

P.S. Skip the braid...it's for halibut and salmon fishing in the salt...lingcod, too.

Since I started out float fishing with mono and then switched to braid and found out how beautifully it mends I see no reason to switch. I'm not center pinning...yet...til then I'll keep using braid. wink

#741018 - 02/16/12 12:19 AM Re: pink worms under a float...? [Re: steeliedrew]
kwikfiks Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Poundtown
+1

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 318 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13524
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645390 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |