LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74997 - 06/28/02 01:09 AM BOOM.........
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Tacoma Wa,
Ok so I have a bird dog now. 18 week old lab pup. I have been working with her since 12 weeks.
she is learning.

I got a trainning book for bird dogs but she will not read it. laugh No just kidding she already knows more that me.

The problem is.
She does not like fireworks. I am thinking she may not like gun fire. I have not taken her into the field yet. Should I do something about the fourth of July, or just let her figure it out on her own. I don't want to scar her for life.

I was thinking of going to a park near a gun range, so she can hear the gun shots from a far then work her closer and closer over time.
Any thoughts on what I should do.

#74998 - 06/28/02 03:11 AM Re: BOOM.........
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
Be VERY careful! If your dog becomes gunshy it's usually extremely difficult to rid them of their fear of loud noises. When I trained my labs I started off with a cap gun and went to a starter pisol as the grew accustomed to the noise. I made sure they were doing something enjoyable when I fired the gun.That way they associate the noise with pleasure. The easiest way I found was to do it during their feeding time. I would set out their dish,when they got to eating I would go across the yard and fire a shot. I started with the gun down near the ground to kind of muffle the shot. As they grew more confident I got closer and closer until I could touch it off above their heads. Then I went to the starter pistol and repeated the steps.

Luckily, my neighbor is a bird hunter also so he was very tolerant of all the noise coming from my backyard. laugh Good luck...there's alot of satisfaction hunting over a dog thats listens well and that you trained. cool

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#74999 - 06/29/02 10:59 PM Re: BOOM.........
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
Basser
I sure would keep any dog away from fireworks of any kind. They are not the same as a shotgun report and are not associated with a fun thing to ddo or the natural urge to retreave. When those things are going off I would keep the dog inside with me and lots of staying close by. I am not a good trainer but I will ask an fellow board member to address the subject. He is very savy but he's gone fishing for a few days.

#75000 - 06/30/02 01:41 AM Re: BOOM.........
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks HBP & BigShark

#75001 - 07/08/02 10:30 AM Re: BOOM.........
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Basser, when you are out training you pup when it is a little older. You should try and fire a few rounds off when he is doing a retrive. Your pup will then associate gun fire with fun stuff and it will no longer be a problem. The club I train with always makes sure to do this with our springers and gun shyness is never a problem.

#75002 - 07/11/02 01:19 PM Re: BOOM.........
BERKLEY BOY75 Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN
touch a round off near there heads? thats aweful, do you think a dogs ears would not ring after that, does yours after you touch off a shot, man, thats cruel..

#75003 - 07/11/02 02:26 PM Re: BOOM.........
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Who said anything about touching a round of near thier heads.... confused

#75004 - 07/11/02 03:25 PM Re: BOOM.........
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
BB75...You'd better reread my post,It says above their head,not near their head, not in their ear or anything else. Do you hunt ducks? Does anybody you know hunt ducks? If a retreiver is properly trained,they are at heel near your side. Unless you are one of the JACKASSES out there that has no control of your dog,and they run all over the place,A dog is gonna have a shotgun touched off over their head.

My lab is 7yrs old and can hear just fine thank you,and she's hunted over 25-30 days per year.
Add all those shots up and she should be deaf right?
Ringing in the ears is a sign of subtle,but permanent loss of hearing. In other words if your ears are ringing after a shot you have lost a small amount of hearing,every time your ears ring you lose a little bit more.

You wanna talk cruel...take up your case with all the other dog owners that never walk them,and keep em' locked in the house all day.How bout the guys that leave em' in the car on days like today. mad

I'm sure my dog thinks I'm horrible cause I take her hunting and she has to listen to gunfire,swim in freezing water and retreive all those nasty birds...YUK! rolleyes I can't even put on any camo without her going apesh!t because she want's to go SOOOOOO bad! cool

Your not a member of PETA are you? wink

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#75005 - 07/16/02 08:05 PM Re: BOOM.........
lobo Offline
Fry

Loc: Buckley,WA
I had a dog that was exposed to a bad experience with an M-80 (damn kids!!). In fact we nearly lost her. When we did find her, I gradually began training her to be more comfortable around gunfire by using a gunfire CD program available in Cabelas. She responded well and had no problems in the field after about six weeks in front of the stereo. I don't know if they still sell that CD though.

#75006 - 07/17/02 11:47 PM Re: BOOM.........
BASSER Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hmmmmm
Sounds like an Idea. along with the cap gun deal.

We made it thru the forth pretty good.
I live by a baseball stadium. that has fireworks every other friday night. So she should get used to it. Sooner or later, and she is.

Thanks for the help.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Tug 3, Carcassman), 184 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |