LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75213 - 10/04/02 03:32 PM How do you spell team?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Beaverton
My buddy and I always say there is no "I" in team. We have hunted together for 3 years and have put 5 bulls on the ground between us. There is nothing like a great partner! Neither of us would have gotten our elk this year without each others help. There are still a few good elk roaming these Oregon hills!

Crayfin

#75214 - 10/04/02 05:53 PM Re: How do you spell team?
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar Wa
To crayfin. That is just absolutely awesome!! You've got to tell the story of how it all went down. Congratulations!!

#75215 - 10/04/02 08:54 PM Re: How do you spell team?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey Woody, I am thinking about writing a story and sending it into Eastmans Bowhunting-it was an awesome trip.We hunted our a**es off! I did not see an elk until the 6th day when I got mine and my buddy shot the big one on the 7th day. He is a great motivator and the hunt is not done until everyone has had their oportunity! He actually backed me up this year with a great follow-up shot and I did the same for him 2 years ago! Thanks for the kind words and I wil give a more detailed story when I have time to sit down and type it out.

Crayfin

#75216 - 10/04/02 09:32 PM Re: How do you spell team?
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
Crayfin

Way to go! Looking forward to the story but I think you should tell us on the board about it first and then tell the others. laugh It's a fact that partners are a big plus. Not for backup so much as for motivation. I love the part about not seeing elk for several days then bingo. Thats the way it works for me too. If they aren't there at the moment, they will be if you just keep motivated and hunt your buns off.

#75217 - 10/05/02 12:55 AM Re: How do you spell team?
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
One word sums that up. Freakin' great! Nice job! Gotta love hunting in that type of country.

Now the work begins.

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#75218 - 10/14/02 06:04 PM Re: How do you spell team?
Crayfin Offline
Juvenille at Sea

OK BigShark, a short version of the story!

105 degrees Ladies and Gentleman when we rolled into camp. After grilling the first forester we ran into we learned of a few spots where he had seen some elk in the last week or so. This year as everyone has experienced was a really dry summer and many of the local water holes as well as major creeks had all but dried up and there was definitely a shortage of available water. The country that we hunt is really pretty diverse in the fact that there is big timber available but lots and lots of sagebrush pockets with timbered draws and the like-no real mountains for the most part but more or less scattered hills with a few monster canyons to choose from. According to this forester there were some elk using a few aspen patches that were located within about a mile from where we usually camp. Awesome so we thought to ourselves-we'll let that one sit for a few days and hunt our usual spots and then we'll go in there and take our pick of the litter!

Well...................after 3 days of hunting in the extreme heat and not finding much in our usuall haunts, we decide to go into town and talk to the forestry department, pick up some different maps ect and see what the word was. After negotiating a deal of 1 backstrap if we killed an elk, we learned of another area that had been worked over pretty hard with elk and decided to let me Dad hunt over there because the ground was not so steep and he could get around. Bingo!! He was into elk in the first 20 minutes of hunting! After a small and fruitless bugling match they decided to look the country over and decided that this was probably the only elk in that whole canyon!

Out come the maps and anybodies idea of where to go. We are pretty new to the area and this was our second year for most of the party (we got a 6x6 and spike last year) so it was decided that everyone would go different routes and see what they saw. My partner and I got into a cow (which I never saw) and he decided to pass (day 5 boys and girls) and that was the extend of our luck. My brother saw 0, Dad saw 0, Dave saw 0---things were looking pretty grim indeed. Joel and i come up with a plan to dive into the deepest canyon available and hope for the best. At 4am in the morning we set out on our quest! Going at brekneck speed in the dark to beat the sun we take the wrong road and end up on the edge of sagebrush country @ the mouth of the canyon we were going to dive into--well S**T, lets just bugle here and see what happens-you guessed it BINGO! 3 bulls answer and so we go after them. Problem was we were on a rim that ran for about a mile and could not get down! At daylight we watched several bulls running cows around and bugling (my first elk sighting in 6 days) and worked our way across the rim to stay with them. As we're talking about how to get down CRACK comes from below us, I look straight down and here comes a 4x4 that we hadnt seen coming right along the rim below us. I hit the ground kneeling-come to full draw and decide to nick the limb in front of where the bull has stopped and hit him a little farther back than perfect-I was shooting almost stright down and just hit the top of it-I look over to my buddy and give him the signal that the bullis walking his direction with an arrow in him-as I step out to drill him again (he never even knew he was shot) I watch my buddy Joel drill him and we watch him fall. High fives and life just got a little bit better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooops, more later!

#75219 - 10/14/02 10:06 PM Re: How do you spell team?
Big Woody Offline
Parr

Loc: Gold Bar Wa
Crayfin, This year in the early hunt, It seemed as if Murphy followed us around wherever we went. Hunted the Nile unit in Eastern Washington. My legs are'nt as good as they used to be ; so I always look for real wide lines on the contour map. Well, the third day I had a chance at a cow but she hid her vitals for a long time. At least 2 pull backs of my bow. My buddy had 2 different opportunities but never a broadside or good kill shot, so he passed.
Thanks for telling the story. But more important is the fact that you have a good partner!. Mines like that as well, He's always thinking of getting me into game first. He usually gets his first though. My partners like Gold, a real motivator!
I can't wait to hear the rest of your story.
Oh Ya! My partner Bernie got the 16th largest bow killed mule deer in Alberta. He is in Eastmans Journal. You should write the story and submit it!

#75220 - 10/15/02 01:53 AM Re: How do you spell team?
BigShark Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: PDX
I love these stories. Keep it coming!

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Schmidtm, schmidty, Spinhead
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 398 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |