Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75356 - 11/14/02 10:48 AM WA Waterfowl
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
I have not been out hunting any waterfowl yet this year and was wondering if anyone has any good reports. I am familiar with a number of places in Pierce and Thurston counties as well as a few spots in the Columbia basin so I don't need a place to hunt, just curious if any northerns have moved in yet.

Thanks in advance.

#75357 - 11/14/02 02:24 PM Re: WA Waterfowl
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I havn't been out yet either,the reports are pretty bad. I usually hunt potholes most of the time,but the guide service at Mardon has had lots of tough hunts lately.

If you dont know about Waterfowler.com,give the site a try. It has a regional forum and reports page. Having read the reports recently,it looks like I won't be out for awhile.

Good Luck!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#75358 - 11/14/02 09:00 PM Re: WA Waterfowl
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
I dunno what you mean by northerns.. I know what a northern is, but not whether you mean a large flock or not. I have never seen a large flock of northern mallards.

however, I did happen to miss a perfect shot at three drakes and four hens that HAD to be northerns... those suckers were HUGE.

I live in Enumclaw, so they are in here I guess.

#75359 - 11/15/02 12:25 AM Re: WA Waterfowl
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
BBVD...
The reason you missed the perfect shot was...you didn't concentrate on one bird. When a group of birds comes in try to kill one bird then shoot at the next one.

Were those birds mallards? If they were your lucky you missed. If you'd have hit those birds you'd have been over your limit on the hens,we don't want that now do we? eek

Although it's legal to shoot hens,IMHO it's better to leave the hens alone,they make all the babies. Besides...drakes look better in the pictures. cool

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#75360 - 11/15/02 11:00 AM Re: WA Waterfowl
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Thanks for the update guys. Sounds like I'm not missing much on the eastside. I have heard pretty good reports from friends of mine that hunt the Hood Canal and several places on this side of the hills. Sounds like the cold snap we had a while back moved some birds in and the nasty weather we've been having are moving some birds. And I've seen a couple decent flights of mallards and geese lately in the evenings.
I still think I'll give it another couple weeks.

Thanks again.

#75361 - 11/15/02 08:34 PM Re: WA Waterfowl
powerstrokincowb Offline
Smolt

Loc: Philly via Puyallup
We hunted Crab creek last Sunday and Monday. If you don't know it, it's between Moses Lake and the Potholes.

Sunday was very poor; only 3 birds, with one jump shot from an isolated pond after a hike because we were bored out of our skulls. Monday was great in the early morning. Within two or three hours after shooting time we took 11 birds. Only two hens, three green-wing teal, and the rest drakes. Of course two of us got out of the boat to do something on shore w/o shotguns, and a flock of a dozen or so greenheads came right on in, touched down in our spread, and then high-tailed it out of there! Oh well, it was fun, and missing them means less birds to clean.

Some of the drakes were pretty big, but I am not sure if they were locals or northerns. The way many of the birds responded to our calling and spread makes me think that some of the flocks were northerns. The locals are pretty call and deke shy by now. But I have yet to see many of those huge greenhead flocks flying in yet.

Hope that helps.

#75362 - 12/06/02 08:15 PM Re: WA Waterfowl
Spawner

Yes they were mallards and no I dont TRY to be a lady killer!!! It just happens.

#75363 - 12/09/02 04:59 PM Re: WA Waterfowl
duckruler240 Offline
Egg

Loc: maple valley
Quote:
Originally posted by powerstrokincowboy:
We hunted Crab creek last Sunday and Monday. If you don't know it, it's between Moses Lake and the Potholes.

Sunday was very poor; only 3 birds, with one jump shot from an isolated pond after a hike because we were bored out of our skulls. Monday was great in the early morning. Within two or three hours after shooting time we took 11 birds. Only two hens, three green-wing teal, and the rest drakes. Of course two of us got out of the boat to do something on shore w/o shotguns, and a flock of a dozen or so greenheads came right on in, touched down in our spread, and then high-tailed it out of there! Oh well, it was fun, and missing them means less birds to clean.

Some of the drakes were pretty big, but I am not sure if they were locals or northerns. The way many of the birds responded to our calling and spread makes me think that some of the flocks were northerns. The locals are pretty call and deke shy by now. But I have yet to see many of those huge greenhead flocks flying in yet.

Hope that helps.

#75364 - 12/13/02 12:54 AM Re: WA Waterfowl
5000D Offline
Parr

Loc: South Jetty
Kramer,

It's been spotty. Unless we get at least two weeks of a freeze those redlegs, i.e., northerns/grain feed nothern mallards won't be down our way until January. There's been a few but right now I'm seeing Sprig, Gadwall and Widgeon from the waters of Kitsap, Pierce, Thurston, Lewis, Cowlitz, Clark and Skamania. Pacific is another issue.

Hoping to complete the final mods on my Burdick Scull and have at 'em.

5000D

P.S. Was down on the Shilapoo on Friday, i.e., Lake Vancouver. Saw more geese, swans and sand hills than ducks!

#75365 - 12/13/02 09:05 AM Re: WA Waterfowl
Kramer Offline
Spawner

I've put in for vacation for the last week of the season and plan on hunting every day. Historically (for me anyway) I've shot more ducks in Jan. here in WA than all three other months combined in any given season. It seems like they are always late, at least the bulk of the birds.

I just wish it was open in Feb./March because I see tons of mallards and geese wintering here then (on the westside).

Well, best of luck to the fellow scattergunners out there and thanks for the info/updates.

#75366 - 12/13/02 09:33 AM Re: WA Waterfowl
fishaday Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo,WA.
Hunted yesterday (12/12) with a buddy and we got 11 greenheads, all big northerns, the ducks were huge. Saturday we got 8 (4 greenies, 1 teal , 2 widgeon, 1 pintail). Lots of ducks flying all day , plenty of shooting!!! The nasty weather helped a bunch. smile

#75367 - 12/13/02 10:58 AM Re: WA Waterfowl
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Fishaday, sounds like you've had some decent shooting. Are you hunting on the westside or eastside?

#75368 - 12/13/02 12:29 PM Re: WA Waterfowl
fishaday Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo,WA.
The westside

#75369 - 12/13/02 07:08 PM Re: WA Waterfowl
Spawner

are p-tails in season right now???

#75370 - 12/13/02 08:25 PM Re: WA Waterfowl
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy:
are p-tails in season right now???
Yes, pintails are open through the 17th of December. Limit one per day, two in posession.

#75371 - 12/16/02 10:38 AM Re: WA Waterfowl
JimB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Chehalis
Will try to post a pic but don't usually have the patience....Last week 4 days in a row near Montesano. 3 shooters each day, limits every day on Mallards and Widgeon. If this pic works here is one of our blinds and a 21 duck salute.

Oh well...want to see pics I can email them to you...I know how to do that rolleyes beathead

Jim

#75372 - 12/16/02 10:44 AM Re: WA Waterfowl
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Jim,

That's a great report! I've hunted down there off hwy 12 and have had some of the best shoots of my life. 45 min. limits of greenheads if they get pushed in off the ocean. We are definitely seeing that kind of weather right now.

Congrats!

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 995 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645365 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |