LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75391 - 11/18/02 02:09 PM What Did You See or Take?
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Burien, Wa
First… to all (lead lobbers and stick flingers) that filled their tag so far CONGRAT'S…!

Now … I know that this question could start a volley of hate mail but I am going to ask anyway… I am asking the late modern lead lobbers this question…. what if anything did you see or take? If your brave or kind what unit?

I think that based upon the weather and lack of rain/water that most us were slowed down in the early seasons… so let me know what you saw…. PLEASE…

Thanks God for the Rain!!!

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#75392 - 11/18/02 05:42 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Covington, WA
What did I take?

I took a beautiful 4 pt. DIDDLEY, followed up by a SQUAT just before the end of shoot time!

Hunted Winston Creek (I am just brave, I guess)

Saw three taken. 4x5, 4x4, and 2x2. Myself, saw 2 deer. One doe and one speed demon who showed hind leg and butt, and nothing else.

I was at a major disadvantage for late buck. My 9 yr. old daughter was with me. Made hiking fun, and sneaking in on a deer impossible! But, it was worth every second! We had a great time together and she is learning more and more every year.

Congratulations to the rest of you who nailed them. Guess I will go back to fishing, had better luck!

fishy moose

#75393 - 11/18/02 06:49 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
I fling sticks and I'm still hunting for deer over in the Umtanum unit. saw 68 deer today at least 15 bucks and missed a dandy this morning. probably in the 24-25 inch bracket with 4 strong points on each side. seen a couple bigger bucks but couldn't get on em. going back tomorrow so hopefully I'll remember to hold low on down hill shots.

#75394 - 11/18/02 07:12 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I missed a decent 3x2 mulie buck,on the day after the opener. I had ranged the clearcut earlier,but I thought the RF said 366yds when it was actually 386yds frown . A bit of gravel in a bucks belly after a low shot....man can they haul a$$! laugh Saw numerous smaller bucks and some huge bull elk while deer hunting. Went back the next week,and hunted 5 days before even seeing the first 4 cows. Needless to say elk hunting was a bust this year. beathead

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#75395 - 11/18/02 07:32 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I wanna go play with glowball!!! moose shoot

Go get 'em!! Good luck tomorrow, look forward to a good report and pictures!

#75396 - 11/19/02 12:04 AM Re: What Did You See or Take?
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Wow glowball...!! You must spend a bunch a time a field or just know the spots...

Do you still live out towards Mineral? I thought that used to be your homeport... I have several places that hunt down that way... My huntin buddy and I are kinda bummed though with the WDFW making that area an over lap hunting area with muzzleloader in the late season... makes me nervous...

So we are looking at options... maybe chase some mulies instead of elk?

Good Luck! moose

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Thoreau

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#75397 - 11/19/02 12:57 AM Re: What Did You See or Take?
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Hey glowball... are you hunting tomorrow or just scouting? Don't want to start a controversy but....

The late bow season doesn't open until Wednesday (Nov 20) right confused ?

Anyway... good luck!

Shoot Straight

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#75398 - 11/19/02 10:43 AM Re: What Did You See or Take?
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Giving the benefit of the doubt here for which we are all due, I would say that he is hunting the Umtanum C Archery Permit hunt. That season runs from Nov. 18 - Dec. 8.

I would assume that if he was not hunting ethically, that he would not post about it.

Good catch, though. I think it is our responsibility as sportsmen to make sure we are all doing things correctly and representing our culture in a positive light.

Good Luck!

#75399 - 11/19/02 11:32 AM Re: What Did You See or Take?
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Hey DeKuma... good catch!!! and THANKS

Like I said, I didn't want to start a controversy just trying to make sure a "brother in the hunt" didn't get burned by the ever changing hunting regs...

I didn't even check the permit hunt section because we don't apply to the few that are available...

Again... Glowball Good Luck in your hunt!!!! moose

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#75400 - 11/19/02 11:36 AM Re: What Did You See or Take?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Glowball is hunting in a unit that hasn't had a modern firearm season in about 5yrs. I think the entire unit is permit only,that makes for some great hunting. The unit we hunt is 346,it's across the road from 342 and I can testify that 342 is loaded with deer. It does'nt surprise me at all that he saw that many deer with that many being good bucks.

I saw a buck last year that crossed the road in front of us headed to 342 that was a 5x5 with at least a 27-28" spread.This year we saw 2 real nice 4x4 bucks with spreads in the 24-25" range.

I've put in for the any buck permit in 342 the last two years,I'll get drawn one of these years.It's not a sure thing to get a big buck outta there but it's pretty dang close.

DeKuma...the Umtanum C permit hunt is Nov.18 - Dec.2

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#75401 - 11/19/02 12:03 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Thanks HBP...

I wish all hunter the best of luck!

I guess that we are going to have to start putting in for the permit hunt. That is worth the wait since the animals wouldn't be so jumpy...

It was amazing in the early archery season we went back up to our secret spot in North Central (we hadn't done that in about 3yrs). Since it is 3pt min or antlerless, we saw and walked up on spikes every day and we saw and had several beautiful 2 points with very large racks. They all just stood there or even stayed bedded down as we approached.... No Pressure... No Fear...

Hey, Glowball are driving over White Pass or is Chinook Pass still open? How did it go today?

Shoot Straight

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#75402 - 11/19/02 01:51 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

HBP,

That is exactly what I was talking about, keeping us all on the right side. Thanks for pointing that out. I just took a quick look this morning before rushing out the door, glad you picked up on it so that no one would take my word on it. Though as we have said many times, "READ THE REGS", so hopefully they would do that.

I drove through the 342 during rifle season, we got a little lost....... I left the map back at camp! Anyway we did see quite a few deer, but only one buck. He was a very heavy long horn spike, but he was impressive. Had large palmated spikes about 24" long.

#75403 - 11/19/02 06:25 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
glowball Offline
Spawner

Thanks for helping me not look like a poacher fellas. Well today was just as successful as yesterday. Same results a missed opprtunity. This time it wasn't the angle it was the shooter not believing the rangefinder. This buck would have been taken straight to my buddy here in Mineral the taxidermist. Oh well i'll be back at her tomorrow. It is amazing how many deer are in that unit. I talked to a fella down a manny's around six this morning and he had also missed a 25" buck the day before. I didn't realize that I didn't have to pay a grand or more to go out of state to get this kind of quality deer hunt. Tough to draw but oh well my name will be in the hat again next year.
I'll let ya know how tomorrow goes.

#75404 - 11/19/02 06:57 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
DeKuma Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Thanks for the information Glowball. I am looking forward to your report.

Now, how can I draw that elusive permit next year?? Anyone know who I would have to bribe to get that?

#75405 - 11/19/02 07:04 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Just keep putting your name in the drawing. With the point system in effect,you'll get drawn sooner or later.

#75406 - 11/19/02 07:44 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
wabowhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Go Glowball...

It's fantastic to here your seeing the Big Bucks that we here are out there!

Keep at it... and I'll offer up a good thought for ya!!!

So which pass are you going over? How much if any snow? I saw that the snow level is supposed to go to 9000 feet tonight.

Just don't forget the camera... cause we all are going to want to see it when you fill the tag!!!

South King County - PSA
Save Our Fish - PSA
CCA Sea-Tac

#75407 - 11/20/02 10:25 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
glowball Offline
Spawner

Well I didn't get any shots off today but I did see 76 deer and 15 of them were bucks. Got some on the ol video camera to prove it to my disbelieving buddies. That ol bruiser didn't show himself today so I guess I'll have to wait until thanksgiving to get him. Gotta work. I did see 3 bucks that I will think about towards the end of the season if I see them again. One real nice 3 point that was probably 22" and pretty heavy. The amazing thing is this is considered a bad year over there. I just talked to a buddy who said he counted 300 deer in an hour several years ago. That is unreal. I'll let ya know how Thanksgiving goes and I'll throw some pics up if I get lucky. Snow baby snow!!!!!

#75408 - 11/20/02 10:59 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
HBP Offline
Spawner

A bad year over there? Yea Right. The WDFW did wonders for the deer population when they made it 3pt minimum for mulies. we've hunted the same area for 10yrs and the last 4-5 have been excellent,in terms of sucsess in our group and overall deer sightings. During rifle season it's common for us to see 5-6 bucks per day. When we started hunting over there if our group SAW one buck per year it was considered a good year. You can't shoot all the spikes and 2pts we see but you know the next year they'll be there and will be bigger. cool

#75409 - 11/21/02 08:57 AM Re: What Did You See or Take?
glowball Offline
Spawner

I meant a bad year in terms of weather. From what most of the local guys told me over there it was a bad hunting season. It is still good for me. I'm having a blast.

You think maybe the westside would learn from this three point thing. It is almost like two different states.

#75410 - 11/23/02 01:36 PM Re: What Did You See or Take?
Scott B. Offline
Fry

Loc: Forks
Finally some good chat on mule deer hunting. I like monster muley .com cause of all the deer and elk chat but its never WA State so keep it up . My brother is bowhunting the entiat and manson units this weekend said they are seeing lots of deer and one monster buck maybe 30" he swears to it. I'm waiting for snow and then I'm headed over. Any input on thoose areas for the late bow hunt. Whats better in your opinion full rut or snow and migration. The last week and a half of the season I was thinking the rut will probly be over but should have snow by then. I think the three point or better is great for deer and elk and I hope they go two point or better for black tail too. Go COugs.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (steely slammer, 1 invisible), 1313 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |