THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76725 - 07/27/03 09:07 AM Re: Permit's are out...
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Actually dogfish deer elk goat bear and turkey have the multiplier sytem working for them. Moose and sheep are point for point.
Go to this site and you'll see.

http://www.wa.gov/wdfw/faq/wpsfaq.htm#14

#76726 - 07/27/03 11:40 AM Re: Permit's are out...
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Thanks for the correction! I remember it being different, but hey, we are all wrong once in a while. Anyway, use the points and rules to your advantage.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#76727 - 07/29/03 01:29 PM Re: Permit's are out...
Pmartin Offline
Spawner

my buddy just emailed me. Got a Elk tag for Sequim. 1 of 6..

#76728 - 07/29/03 08:58 PM Re: Permit's are out...
Loomis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

After three yrs of putting in my partner and I got an any bull tag for 336 346 peaches ridge,If only I had this tag last year I could of chosen from several real nice bulls.The only problem with this is the season is still three months away,man I can't wait.

#76729 - 07/30/03 12:09 PM Re: Permit's are out...
KNOPHISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN,WA,USA
Fisher-Dan,
A 9 year old on an elk hunt? What caliber rifle & how well does he shoot? Sorry, I'm not judging but it sounds a little young. Elk hunting is hard work, packing one out is even harder. Maybe he is very mature for his age. I got my 1st deer at 12. I wish I could of bagged an elk at 9.

#76730 - 07/30/03 10:31 PM Re: Permit's are out...
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
KNOPHISH,

How are you doing today? Well, I hope. Dan's boys passed their hunter ed classes two years ago, or was it three. As far as squared away boys, you will not meet better behaved, polite and responsible boys.

I have sat through three hunter ed classes now, and I can't tell you how many illiterate 14-17 year old boys I have seen do poorly in the program and fail. If these two boys can read, comprehend and retain all of the info necessary to pass the test, before they are teenagers, more power to them.

I have had the pleasure of fishing and hunting with Dan's oldest boy, and I have met his youngest boy once when I met Dan to show them my 5x5 mulie I had shot in an area where both boys later got their first deer last year.

The boys both shoot Muzzleloaders, .50 cal I believe, .308 and now a .270. Dan hunts along side his boys, not carrying a gun, so he can act as a guide and safety monitor.

If any 9-12 year-old was to shoot an elk, I'd be happy to help him pack it out, especially Dan's boys. I know they are up to the challenge.

Yes, you are judging, which a lot of folks seem quick to do here, but now you know the facts, Dan's responsibility as a parent and how he is teaching his boys to hunt in a proper manner.

Take care,

Andy

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#76731 - 07/31/03 12:24 AM Re: Permit's are out...
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
KNOPHISH,

I took hunters ed at 9 and shot my first bull (spike) 3 months later at 10 cool . I shot a 30-30 and my range was about 100yds. I guess he made a mistake that day,walking out in front of a 10yr old with a 30-30. rolleyes

Hell yeah it was hard work,I helped as much as I could,but had friends and family that did most of the work. I did have to skin it myself,that was a chore at 10. My dad had to back the truck up to the tree so I could stand in back to reach the hindquarters.

Later that day my brother shot a 3pt. My brother was 13 at the time. it was the same story for him. Help as much as possible,and skin it out back at camp.

I was one of the youngest in the class,but guess what,I had the best score in my class,I didn't fail a single question. I agree with Dogfish,it's not always about how old you are. smile

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#76732 - 07/31/03 02:47 AM Re: Permit's are out...
Fisher-Dan Offline
Fry

Loc: Auburn, Wa.
Hey Knophish,

I have no problem with your question, especially since you asked respectfully. A couple of the other guys already answered, but I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.

First, the boys did pass hunter ed at 7 and 9. However, in my judgment, my then 7 year old wasn't mature enough to hunt so I didn't let him. I did take my 9 year old as soon as he passed. We actually met up with dogfish, and as he referenced, my boy carried a muzzleloader and I was there with him - I could have carried, but wanted to put 100% concentration on helping the boy hunt that year.

As for hunter ed, both boys passed the test with lots of room to spare, although I don't remember exact scores. When we enrolled, the lead instructor told me not to expect my 7 year old to pass. The youngest they'd ever passed was one other 7 year old. My older boy (now 12) is doing the homeowrk to get his Advanced Hunter Certificate (I'm and AHE grad) so he can hunt with me more.

Both boys did get their first deer last year. Each a clean 1-shot kill inside 50 yards. One deer went nowhere but straight down, and one took two big leaps. We probably shoot rifles and muzzleloaders 20 times a year, and the boys shoot pellet guns with similar sights 2 or 3 times a week. Trust me, you don't want to be a deer or elk inside of 100 yards if they have a rest.

As for ethical shooting, they both know that the ONLY acceptable shot results in a humane kill. I was more proud of last years elk hunt than the deer hunt where they both made excellent shots. The boys had cow tags (we shoot muzzleloaders) and I wasn't carrying because I was monitoring my younger boy. We put two cows up at about 30 yards and they ran off just a bit. Two cows stading at 70 yards for over 30 seconds, two boys with cow tags and cows in sight, took us 3 days just to find elk, but neither boy took a shot because they didn't have a good rest, and when the older boy got a rest one cow was looking over her shoulder - not a good shot presentation.

I'll tell you what, I didn't say a word but I stood behind them saying silently: "Don't shoot, Don't shoot, Don't shoot!!!".

the boys don't practice off-hand so they don't take killing shots off hand. I was and am proud (notice that I'm bragging, now;). How many times have we all witnessed adult (most of whom practice way less than my boys) take shots they can't make? I could have grabbed one of their muzzleloaders and dumped a cow for one of them to tag, but that's not the hunting ethic I want to teach my boys. That was the only opportunity at alk that the boys last year.

As for safe gun handling, each boy hunted at least a full season while carrying his pellet gun before he carried a firearm. Pellet gun or firearm, they have NEVER pointed a muzzle at anyone, including swinging thru them. Both boys know my unending rule: Sweep someone with your muzzle - even on accident - and you're done for the year. No exceptions, no excuses, no second chances, no whining. the boys know never to point til they've decided to kill an animal. Bottom line: They are very safe hunting partners (something I can't say for some adults I've hunted with).

As for boys playing a man's game: The boys earn what they get. Even at their age, they've bought their own fisshing and hunting gear for the most part the past two years (the older boy more than the younger).

Both boys knew going into last year that I'd dress and pack their first animal (they helped drag). The also know that this year, they dress while I help..... Should be fun to watch.

As an aside, the older boy really likes trap. He's been breaking 19 birds a round. I'm not sure where he got that because to be truthful I usually break around 12 -13. Ducks should fear him more than me... smile

Wow, I'd better quit bragging.... Have I mentioned that Im proud of them?

Anyway, one board member was good enough to share some Umtanum info with me (thank you _______). If anyone else wants to help me get 9 and 12 year olds into cow elk in the Umtanum, I'd sure appreciate a private E-mail. Not really sure why we applied for Umtanum since I haven't been there in 15 years.... smile

Thanks all, and if you see a tall guy hunting with two good looking boys, be sure to wave.

Dan

#76733 - 07/31/03 03:40 AM Re: Permit's are out...
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
Hey more power to ya Dan! I'm 16 years old right now, started hunting when I was.... ahh I was 8. The instructer told my dad not to put me in the class, that I wouldnt be able to comprehend all the questions. I didnt score as good as HBP, but I did score better then my bro, who was 13 at the time. I missed three total.

I started out duck hunting, and made very few mistakes "safety-wise". A few sharp words from my dad set me strait, and now me and my brother are very selective who we hunt with, with safety being foremost concern... Well, subconciously that is. For the most part we're really just thinking about the birds.

Last year was my first year deer hunting. Many adults told me I would probably shoot the first deer I saw because I'd get jumpy. I was in a 3pt zone at one time, and passed up a 2 pt the first time, as well as many does who followed. Later I was in an "any deer" (because I had my youth tag then), and passed up two does for size.

This year I'm planning to go all out with bear, cougar, deer, and elk, along with my ducks and geese of course! My brother and his father in law are the only ones who big game hunt with me, so I'm new to just about all of it, gathering information from whoever and whatever I can, which has been quite controversial for reasons unknown to me.

Also, I'd like to make this last paragraph a thanks to Dogfish for pointing me into some areas. I haven't checked all of them, but with a few tips you included I've been looking around Enumclaw for bears and cats. No sightings quite yet but I think I'm close! laugh

Curtis

#76734 - 07/31/03 09:58 AM Re: Permit's are out...
KNOPHISH Offline
Spawner

Loc: AUBURN,WA,USA
I see said the blind man as he picked up a hammer & saw. Thanx for the background info guys. I hope the kids fill their tags.

#76735 - 07/31/03 11:06 AM Re: Permit's are out...
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I had so much fun at hunters ed. I must have read the booklets 200 times if I read them once. Sitting in class listening to the stories,going to the range to shoot all the .22s with different actions,I was in heaven! laugh The story that hit home the most was the guy that had a huge scar on his back from a deer. He thought it was dead,and he turned his back to the deer and the deer nailed him with his horns. eek Heck....that scar was probably from his mean ole' wife,but that story sure got our attention!

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#76736 - 07/31/03 03:36 PM Re: Permit's are out...
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy Offline
Spawner

Loc: Enumclaw
lol My hunters ed was in the upper level of some old run down fire station. For us to learn about the different actions, they brought in all styles of guns, which we werent allowed to touch. beathead

Curtis

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Grandpa's Fishin Buddy
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 385 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645430 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |