THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77280 - 12/04/03 12:26 AM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
Jason Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA
I think I've decided what I want to get. And the winner is..

A BRITTANY!

Well.. maybe..

It's got the right size, temperament, intelligence, and the dang thing will point if I train it right. It was neck-and-neck with the English springer and the Brittany, with the pointing pushing the Brittany out in front by a nose (heh.. punny, eh?) at the finish line. So how do I go about getting a dog that will be a good hunter (assuming I do my job) without paying a fortune? I don't care much about pedigrees and field trial champ bloodlines. I just want a good hunter and pet. smile

#77281 - 12/04/03 06:22 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
jimh Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Area 8-1 to 13, WA

#77282 - 12/05/03 12:47 AM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Mill Creek, WA
No, no, no, laugh Brits are generally hyper....(my experience)
CWU -- Where did you get your dog intelligence scale information?

I've had 3 labs, 2 beagles, 2 airdales, 1 GWP.
The Labs and Airdales were H.S. grads at best. The Beagles 8th grade dropouts. :p
The GWP a Rhodes Scholar!! smile

What H-Ape said.. There is a breeder, trainer, waterfoul guide in Acme.. He uses his curly haired GWP's on the duck hunts..

Doesn't sound like you are going to hunt the zero temp. weather.. wink

#77283 - 12/05/03 10:35 AM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
I might agree about the Brittany being hyper.
My friend has a 2 yr old Brit,and he just about bounces off the walls when he's inside. I don't know if its because he's still young,a Brit,or both. Maybe verify with a vet,before you commit.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#77284 - 12/05/03 05:43 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
yukon Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Anchorage
Price has only been mentioned a few times here and it was just for a quality dog, or at least quality bloodlines.
The initial cost is so minor compared to the money you will spend over that dogs lifetime. Wait until your dog runs into a fence, or sticks a stick into its chest, you will then find out what it costs to have a dog. I don't mind saying I am well over 12,000 in the last two years and lookling at 5,000 more in the next month for a new hip for my dog.
Even without anything major happening, vet bills for regular care and the occasional accident will add up. And for proper care of a companion these things are a must.

#77285 - 12/08/03 02:16 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Periwinkle:
No, no, no, laugh Brits are generally hyper....(my experience)
CWU -- Where did you get your dog intelligence scale information?

I've had 3 labs, 2 beagles, 2 airdales, 1 GWP.
The Labs and Airdales were H.S. grads at best. The Beagles 8th grade dropouts. :p
The GWP a Rhodes Scholar!! smile

What H-Ape said.. There is a breeder, trainer, waterfoul guide in Acme.. He uses his curly haired GWP's on the duck hunts..

Doesn't sound like you are going to hunt the zero temp. weather.. wink
The intelligence scale is from the book Intelligence of Dogs. The list is available online- http://www.petrix.com/dogint/intelligence.html

GWP's are definately not for everyone. They're one person dogs and, IMO, not the best family dogs since most do not get along with cats or any other small animals. And, although not in my experience, I've read in Gun Dog and the Pointing Dog Journal that aggression can be a major problem.

A brittany would be my pick for a pointing breed who is also outstanding in the home. I've liked all the brits I've ever hunted with and will probably get one myself in a few years.

#77286 - 12/11/03 10:23 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
steeliematt Offline
Parr

Go with a Field style lab, Not the Bulky english style show dog, There indurance is much lower. I have a son out of Rebel the top running Yellow male the last three years until forced to retire from an njury. When he was bred to a field champ daughter of Mr. Independance. She also carries a Master Pointing Retriever title, Mine does not point but has the energy of a pointer but coupled with the labs ability to turn it off and be very calm in the Duck blind or livingroom. This is a good al around style to look for, And I have had a few good running field dogs. I also just got on the breeding list for a Wiem pup out of the two top wiems running in the country for the last two years. For class and a truely outstanding upland dog, They can't be beat. But you must do your research. And there are still good wiems out there, But they don't come cheap. But either does a trip to the Dakots's or Havre Mt or Eastern Wa for that matter. So why skimp on the workhorse that will be beating the bush for the next 10 years, 500-1000 bird trips sure beat almost saw enough to get a limit. All around = Lab

#77287 - 12/11/03 10:33 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
Jason Offline
Smolt

I'm pretty set on a Brittany now, and I'm not really interested in getting a dog from top field trial stock. Not at all, as a matter of fact. I want a pointing dog, and one that hunts at the leisurely pace that I do. I'm not in a race when I'm bird hunting, and don't intend to act like I am.

#77288 - 12/12/03 10:45 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
steeliematt Offline
Parr

It's not about a race it's about having the avail to have your dog hunt hard all day long, or having the stamina to hunt multiple days, You will find that brit's are great lower cover dogs, But after the opener and the roostie's hit the catails or heavy brush. The brush pounders get the birds, My lab has followed a brace of brits after I watched them skurt the catails. And there owners pronounce that there are no birds in there, My reply was I didn't see them hit the brush, they responded with if there where birds in it they would have. Then as they sat and ate lunch and watched we went on to bag five and miss three, My buddies are poor shots. haha, Get a dog that will pound the brush after the opener. Brits are snippy little dogs, some with large attitudes. P.S. you will have your hands full with brits. Forget the books and ask someone that has been around multiple breeds for sometime. Go with a larger bodied pointer if it's a pointer you want, you will be rewarded for your choice for the next ten years or so..

#77289 - 12/13/03 01:22 AM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
Jason Offline
Smolt

This is going to be a family dog, as well as my hunting dog. I don't want a big dog in my house, either lab or big pointer. The choice ended up between a Brittany and an English springer. I want a pointer more than a flusher so the Brittany won.

#77290 - 12/13/03 09:00 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
gsiegel Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Graham
After having owned Brittanies I can say a couple of things:
1. A good one will bust brush and will do anything it can to find birds. Great upland dogs.
2. I wouldn't even try to make one water retrieve ducks...I'm sure there are exceptions...
3. Field bred Brits and Springers too can range from "on the active side" to "ready to burst out of their own skin" interms of hyperness.
4. They are extremely sensitive, and you can blow their attitude by overly excessive punishment or even loud yelling.
5. If you condition them from an early age to being around kids and in the house most will do ok. Plan on lots of attention and training. (and brushing and clipping!)Every Brit I've know develops a pretty strong "one man attitude" as they mature.

You should be able to find one that will hunt for a reasonable price. East of the mountains seems to be a place to look for dogs that are hunted more than on the West side. Every one will say you are taking a chance by going through a private party...and they're right. But as long as you find a dog that's got good instincts and then train, train, train, I'm sure it will work out for you. Whatever you do, train the dog on live birds and in real cover as soon as it can handle it. A birdy Brit will want to run...you may need to seek training help, or at least a good manual. I wouldn't put a shock collar on a good Brit ever.

"I fish, therefore someone else must tend the cooler!"

#77291 - 12/13/03 09:50 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
Jason Offline
Smolt

What kind of prices are you talking about here? I want a puppy, as young as can leave its mom so it will imprint with me and my family. I want a good hunting/family dog, and don't care all that much about generations of pedigrees and field trial champ parents. I do want a pup from proven hunters, though.

#77292 - 12/14/03 01:55 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
FYI Jason, for puppy age, it is fairly widely accepted that ~ 49 days old is the right time to go home with their new family.

Good luck.

PD

#77293 - 12/14/03 09:21 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

I got out of the 'loop' here. My P/C went 'teets' up, and I didn't get to rebut Cwee Cee gals assertions. My GWP is hard on small animals, ie., she terminates possums, rats, skunks, house cats that come in her yard. That's a plus not a minus. laugh

#77294 - 12/14/03 09:32 PM Re: Best all-around bird/waterfowl dog?
Periwinkle Offline
Returning Adult

Jason...... I don't know what happened but I didn't finish my post.. My wife tutors grade 1-6 kids and Emma (GWP) 'loves em". She's 66 pounds and a 'house dog'. Mt Lk. Terrace isn't very far from Martha Lake. If you want to meet Emma drop me (no that won't work my mail box is screwed up). post your phone #, or name and I can look in phone book. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 914 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |