Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77299 - 12/06/03 06:14 PM Male Weimaraner Wanted
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: wa
Looking for a male to breed with my female. She is a beautiful gray with a good temperment. I have 3 kids and I could not ask for a better family dog. Stud will get pick of the litter or I am willing to pay.

#77300 - 12/08/03 02:18 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
Why not just get another puppy from the breeder you got your female from? Its hard to say if she'll throw the attributes you're looking for, especially since you're not line breeding.

Please be sure to get the health clearances before you breed, OFA'd hips at a minimum.

#77301 - 12/08/03 03:07 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

The breeder I got my female from no longer breeds them. Besides whats wrong with wanting to breed her? I seem to get the same reaction from a lot of different people. People say that they are so hard to raise and are way to hyper. She was probobly one to the easiest dogs to train that I have ever had. She is not any more hyper than any other purebread dog.

#77302 - 12/08/03 04:08 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

There's nothing wrong with wanting to breed her. It just gets disheartening to see people trying to breed their dogs who obviously have little knowledge or forthought to what they're doing. There is (or should be) a little more consideration to breeding your female than the fact she's a nice dog... And certainly there should be FAR more research in to finding a stud dog than posting a "single grey female" ad!

There are plenty of weims that end up homeless. What are you adding to the breed? Has your female had her hips OFA'd or her eyes CERF'd? If not, get them done, there's no sense in creating an entire litter that will likely develop hip dysplacia or go blind before age 2. And just because she's not in pain doesn't mean she's ok. Most dogs with mild HD won't show signs until they're into old age.

Are you prepared to take responsibly for a litter that will probably be around 8 puppies? A responsible breeder will take back any dog at anytime if the owner can no longer care or wants the dog. Will you offer a health guarentee? If so, can you provide a home for unsound dogs or pay for surgeries to correct the problem? Surgery for hip dysplacia will run about $2,500 per hip.

Get in contact with established weim breeders with studs with a track record of throwing healthy puppies with a sound temperament. These will be the best bet for creating a litter worth having.

Lastly, consider the problems that can come up. C-sections aren't all that uncommon and run about $800-1000. Females sometimes will reject a litter or develop infections in their milk. Can you afford to take 3 weeks off work to feed puppies every couple hours?

Here are a couple resources to get you started
Eastern Washington Weimaraner Club
Charles Davis
1726 Gaillard Pl.
Richland, WA. 99352
509-943-5843
Lic. Fld. Trls., Hunt Tests, B-OB matches

Western Washington Weimaraner Club
Vicki Revello
3917 240th St. E.
Spanaway, WA 98387
Web: www.weimclub.com
Cynthia Picha, breeder referral contact:
360-871-4233
Lic. Fld. Trls., Hunt Tests, Shows, Obed.

http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/edenweimaraners/Jaeger.html

#77303 - 12/08/03 05:26 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

You make a lot of assumptions. These are all things that I have considered. I would not consider having a litter if I thought I could not handle it. I grew up with this breed of dog and care for them more than you know. I am just tired of all you uptight know it all antibreeding people. I just want to breed my dog and enjoy the experience with my kids without it being such a big deal or hassle.

#77304 - 12/09/03 01:49 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

antibreeding? If I were antibreeding I wouldn't have an unneutered male lab in my house! I have no problem with people breeding dogs and am anti the government telling breeders what they can do, but there has to be a level of responsiblity beyond a singles ad!

With all the dogs being destroyed in shelters, in my opinion, there should be better reasons for creating more dogs than that it would be a fun experience. Parvo, swimming puppy syndrome and the like could make it a pretty horrible experience.

#77305 - 12/10/03 11:03 AM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thank you for all the useless information CWU, but we found a wonderful male for our girl. By the way your so called singles at worked just fine. May your future breeding experiences be plaugued with all the missfortunes you have tried to scare me about!

#77306 - 12/10/03 11:51 AM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
I have been watching this thread for a while and I just can't stay out of it.

First I should say that I am a member of WWESSC (Western Washington English Springer Spainel Club ). I have been involved with training and breading dogs for sometime.
And I know all about the attitude of some people in the trialing world. That being only bread if it will improve the bread. But for most people that is just a little much.

Now I can understand to a certain extent what CPU girl is saying,but. I tell people that if they love thier dogs, and feel you are ready and can handle it, then go a head. It is all part of enjoying your pet. The scare tactics were a little over the top. So good luck and enjoy Cromefish.

And CPU girl, the term for your dog is "whole dog". Meaning he is capable of breading.

#77307 - 12/10/03 01:30 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

BW, it's "breed" or the past tense "bred" not "bread," unless you're in to baking...

Strange, with all the time I've spent involved with clubs, breeders, and getting hunt test titles on my dogs, I've never heard of the term "whole dog."

Hey, I'll do whatever I can to prevent pointless litters which will have a much higher likelihood of ending up in rescues or shelters (low market value). Why add to the already overpopulated pet population?

As for any future breedings for my dog... highly doubtful he'll ever be bred, I don't believe even with titles and clearances that he'll be good enough to be a stud dog. But I like his pedigree and there is a chance he'll excel at upper level hunt tests, so I'm keeping the option open. And, of course since I've done my homework the chances of heriditary complications if he were bred would be much lower than a "singles ad" breeding....

#77308 - 12/10/03 02:04 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
BW Offline
Spawner

You know it never was a problem if someone misspelled a word every now and then. In fact is seems to be a problem with only a few people. I am at work and do not have the time to check everything.

A lot of people don't know this but the term for a male is "dog". This site will not let me say what the a female is known as, but I have little doubt that you know what it is. Too bad some need to use it as a slang word.

When I get home and if I have time I will get you some book titles you can read if you have never heard the term.

As I said I have been involved it the training of more dogs than I can count. Some are nationally know field trialers. If you wish you can see my dog Gordy and myself at our web site.
http://home.comcast.net/~mearle5/

Just go to pictures.

Don't forget if we cannot enjoy having pets then what is the point. If someone wants to breed there dogs. Have the time and desire, then more power to them.

#77309 - 12/10/03 02:17 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
chromefish,

I was in your exact position 10 years ago. I had a yellow lab with some great lines who showed tons of promise in the field. A few of my hunting partners really enjoyed her temperment and abilities and so I decided to 'share' her with them via breeding. I had her hips ofa'd and her eyes cert'd (there is a great vet down in the u district that can do this if you are interested). I also built a welping box which certainly helped keep some sanity before they were big enough to climb out.

After that came the big question you just faced, which male. I got a little lucky in that a friend had bought a nice lab from a breeder up north. I spoke with the breeder and ended up using one of her champ males as the stud.

With labs, the litter size can be a few up to 14+. My gal threw 10 pups. I had their shots started and dew claws removed. With the great lineage, the extra pups were easily placed via the Seattle Times and I seriously doubt I hurt the lab blood lines.

This was a great experience for those that were around it and very enjoyable. It sounds like you have done your homework and are well on your way down the right path. I wish you nothing but success with it, I think you will really enjoy the whole process. I think breeders typically do a nice job but there are plenty of them that run modified puppy mills as well. I believe responsible private party breeders can do every bit as good a job.

CWU, I understand (I think) where you were coming from here but it was a bit much. Having done this myself, I found myself biting my lip while reading. No offense, but wisdom is learned over years, advise is learned in minutes.

#77310 - 12/10/03 02:21 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

BW, I have absolutely no problem with people breeding their dogs and I agree, if someone has the time and desire, they should go for it. But, with bringing an entire litter in to the world comes a heap of responsiblity, at the minimum, doing the research and testing to produce sound puppies... and I just don't see that being taken seriously in this case.

#77311 - 12/10/03 02:30 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
BW Offline
Spawner

I'm with you Predator Dawg

CPUgirl, when you have put the years into this that I have we will talk. There are a few of us it the club that could write a book if we were so inclinded.

#77312 - 12/10/03 03:20 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
chromefish Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks for the positive feedback BW and Predator Dawg. Don't let CWU make you believe that all the proper things are being done prior to breeding. She has no idea what things I have done, only a lot of assumptions and scare tactics. I feel it is none of her business. Its between me and the wonderful person who is willing to help me out. I would never intentionaly do anything to hurt the breed or puppies. The ad was to solicit people who might be interested not to prove to board members my dog is the best thing this side of the mountians. Most people on this board are responsible and CWU is preaching to the wrong people. I am so excited and ready to do this and I am very grateful to the people who are willing to help and for your positive feedback.

#77313 - 12/10/03 04:38 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
Predator Dawg Offline
Spawner

Loc: land of sun
cf,

Growing up, my family did some horse breeding, and, as a little tike, that was about the coolest thing since sliced bread. I am envious of your situation for I now have little kids and look forward to the day when I can show them a little bit about the world through a like experience. When the time comes, I will probably do the whole Lab or GSR breeding thing over again for them, and for some friends that will be wanting a hunting/family companion by then.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again as a private party after following the appropriate steps.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions that I can act like I can answer... laugh

#77314 - 12/10/03 04:45 PM Re: Male Weimaraner Wanted
BW Offline
Spawner

Don't forget puppy pic's.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (OLD FB), 216 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |