Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77325 - 12/14/03 09:58 PM Muzzleloaders
brassonbrass Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Poulsbo
Can anyone tell me about a good quality 50 cal Muzzleloader that is modern, in-line, shoots far (200 yards if it had to), and is accurate, that falls under the allowed regs in Washinton state? I see many of these very hot, high muzzle-velocity guns that look to me to be illegal in our state because the cap is covered inside the breech of the gun. Any info would be great. Also, can anyone describe the ballistics for me of an old fashion 50 cal, shooting 80-100 grains of black powder and a round ball on a typical blacktail or whitetail? Do the round balls penetrate all the way through typically? Do they open up very fast and cut a nice swath? Are they powerful enough to take shoulder and neck shots or should a guy using round ball go for the double lungs and let the deer run a little and then track em' like a bowhunter? Thanks in advance for any advice.

#77326 - 12/14/03 11:14 PM Re: Muzzleloaders
HBP Offline
Spawner

Loc: Everett,Wa
The round balls aren't very aerodynamic,and lose velocity and energy far faster than a conical. They don't weigh as much either,so they won't "thump" an animal as a conical will. I don't think I'd ever take a 200yd shot unless I was shooting a sabot. Finding an in-line that will meet our requirements is easy. Cabelas has more than a few that will work fine. I have a CVA .54cal. that I've had for a few years. I haven't killed anything with it yet,but I have no doubt it would punch thru an animal. With 110gr. of Pyrodex and a 425gr. conical,it will punch over 12" into a round of Ponderosa Pine.

- no boss, no clock, no stress, no dress code...no shoes,no shirts, no problems. - Kenny Chesney -

#77327 - 12/15/03 12:18 AM Re: Muzzleloaders
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Auburn, Wa, USA
Amen to what HBP said. Round balls are STRICTLY for close range shots. They simply don't pack enough energy down range (that comment ought to get some remarks, but I'll stick with it).

I personally like the T/C Black Diamond ER. It will shoot 200 yards - although I can't say that from personal experience. I'm just not good enough with iron sights at 200 yards to take a shot no metter what. But my T/C has done very well for me. I've also heard good things about Knights. Just make sure that what ever you get uses original stye percussion caps and that they are exposed to the elements. Then don't put a scope on (but fiber optics are legal). (HINT: I love musket caps. They burn wayyyyyyy hotter than standard percussion caps.

Then, most important of all, PRACTICE. I hate to lecture, but I've done a lot of muzzleloading, and I don't know but one or two guys who should consider a 200 yard shot with an open sighted muzzleloader.

BTW, I also like this bullet: It's called a Harvester, and I've whacked lots of elk with it. Never had a problem with them. You can order at : WWW.claybusterwads.com

Good luck!!!

Fisherdan

#77328 - 12/15/03 10:17 PM Re: Muzzleloaders
Little Fish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, Washington
So much info, so little time. All I can suggest is start reading...here are a few websites I found helpful.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/index.php

http://www.huntamerica.com/

#77329 - 12/16/03 11:44 PM Re: Muzzleloaders
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Tumwater Wa
If I were to buy a new muzzelloaer, I would get teh T/C black diamond extended range. Cabela's carries them. They come with thre ignition systems so it will comply with WA laws. I am not sure about making 200 yard shots, with iron sights?? But also remember that you have to use a non jacketed bullet. Those harvester bullets are jacketed so won't work in Wa. Just my .02.
Buck

#77330 - 12/17/03 12:30 AM Re: Muzzleloaders
BigTULE Offline
Parr

Loc: Hockinson, WA
I have a knight bighorn. It is of the magnum variety, 26 inch stainless barrell, it is very accurate and at the range on a bench i will shoot 200 yards but my max that i will shoot is 150 in the field. I took a nice bull this year at 140 yards with a neck shot. I use the sabboted bullets and pyrodex pellets witht he german musket caps (they burn hotter and that are also water proof, we tried it. we let them sit in water for 5 minutes submerged and then fired just the cap and they work...) But my choice would be the Knight.

#77331 - 12/17/03 01:15 AM Re: Muzzleloaders
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey Buck,

I probably wasn't clear about which Harvester bullet I use. I understand they have a jacketed bullet. I use the solid lead (hard cast, no jacket) 400 grain bullet. It does great work on elk .

Shoot straight!

D

Fisherdan

#77332 - 12/17/03 10:36 PM Re: Muzzleloaders
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Hey fisher dan

I just did a quick look at the web page you posted. All I saw was the jacketd bullets. I just thought I wold throw that out as a reminder is all. smile Although if somone wants to use a muzzleloader during firame season then they can put a scope on it and use any typ of bullet you want. That is what I did during deer season this year. Although I wound up using my 7mm in the end frown But it was worth it. Any w that sounds like a good load you use for elk.
Buck

#77333 - 12/18/03 01:10 AM Re: Muzzleloaders
Fisherdan Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Hey Buck,

I just checked the www.claybusterwads.com website and they totally re-did it. It really highlights their jacketed bullets now. Kind of scared me. The hard cast lead bullets I use used to be their primary bullet. Now thy're buried 3/4 down their web page. scared me for a minute. I don't know what I'd do without my favorite M/L bullet!! Those things give me such great performance on elk it's unreal.

Anyway, good exchanging info with you.

It's got to be time to go bonk some steelhead somewhere....

Fisherdan

#77334 - 12/18/03 01:31 PM Re: Muzzleloaders
Buck Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Fisher dan,

Yeah that can be a real pisser when a company quits making what you like to use. Luckily for you they didn't. I use Precision Rifle X-tended range sabot. in 300gr. I like the way they shoot. They are maybe a littel light for elk, but I am sure they will do great on deer. That is the main thing I use my muzzleloader for. Any how yes it's time to bonk some steelies. I have already gotten a few this winter. I just hope the brat runs aren't over yet?? Good talking with you. and good luck.
Buck

#77335 - 12/18/03 09:08 PM Re: Muzzleloaders
BigTULE Offline
Parr

Loc: Hockinson, WA
I use a 310 grain sabboted knight bullet... It is deffinatly not to light for elk...

#77336 - 12/27/03 10:09 PM Re: Muzzleloaders
glowball Offline
Spawner

Loc: bullcanyon
Just got the winter cabelas sale catelog and they have the t/c black diamond xr stainless/ synthetic for $259. Thats a darn good price for a good quality gun.

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |