Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77552 - 03/26/04 05:05 PM Puppy training birds
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
I've got a 6 month old male black lab that I'd like to get out for some field work. Can anyone recommend a decent game bird preserve that they've had good experiences with?

Thanks for the help.

#77553 - 03/26/04 05:54 PM Re: Puppy training birds
cast and blast Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
I don't know you or your pup but I do know a little about introduction of pups to birds and the thresholds of their capabilities. This is not intended to minimize your pups capailities but rather a general idea of what alot of 6 mo old dogs are capapble of.

Get some pigeons and find a park where you can dizzy them up and plant them. At six months you can build a ton of confidence in your pup by a few sessions on easy pigeions rather pheasants or chukars that will only run like crazy right now.

Finding the game bird is not what is terribly important right now, confidence on scent and turning the lights on and creating general birdiness is where you should focus at this point.

A few sessions of pigeon work and your dog will be so wound up on scent that when you introduct him to those sneaky gambirds, they wount be confidence killers on the youngster.

#77554 - 04/01/04 11:37 AM Re: Puppy training birds
Blackjaw Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Buckley, WA
Cast & Blast is right about introducing your pup to pigeons first. You can sometimes get pigeons at livestock auctions, or you can trap them if you have access to a good trapping area.

#77555 - 04/01/04 07:35 PM Re: Puppy training birds
Kramer Offline
Spawner

Loc: GH & PA, WA
Thanks for the help guys but my dog is pretty far along already for a dog that's almost 7 months. I'm not going to go into detail but I've spent quite a bit of training time with him and believe he is ready a bigger distraction level. I don't mean to sound ungrateful for the comments and input but this isn't my first dog, and I'm not here to tell anyone how to train their dog.

I just wanted other people's input on the areas game preserves. Good or bad, anyone have any experiences to share?

#77556 - 04/02/04 10:25 AM Re: Puppy training birds
Blackjaw Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Buckley, WA
I have been to Pitts in Coulee City and Reecer Creek in Ellensburg, both are O.K. I have also heard good things about Busters bird farm, which I believe is somewhere near Centralia.

#77557 - 04/02/04 02:56 PM Re: Puppy training birds
CWUgirl Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've had puppies on pheasant at less than 7 months. As long has they've had significant bird exposure and are retrieving pigeons/quail well, there's not really an issue.

Personally, I've used Cooke Canyon and Reecer Creek for dog training in the past. Cooke Canyon, IMO, is a much better set up. They have very realistic ground cover, unlike Reecer Creek. Bird prices are about the same for either, although it's a little cheaper if you buy the membership at Cooke Canyon. http://www.cookecanyon.com/

#77558 - 11/11/04 09:59 PM Re: Puppy training birds
don savary Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: yelm wa.98597
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:
I've got a 6 month old male black lab that I'd like to get out for some field work. Can anyone recommend a decent game bird preserve that they've had good experiences with?

Thanks for the help.

#77559 - 11/11/04 10:09 PM Re: Puppy training birds
don savary Offline
Eyed Egg

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

Thanks for the help.

#77560 - 11/11/04 10:23 PM Re: Puppy training birds
don savary Offline
Eyed Egg

Hi,
This is Don Savary with Buster's Bird Farm. The gentleman is right, we can help you with your dog training and get your dog on some birds without going to eastern WA. Our farm is located in Yelm but we do our private hunts and dog training assistance just outside of Oakville. If you're interested, give us a call at (360) 894-5877. Also, we have a website under construction at www.bustersbirdfarm.com

#77561 - 11/11/04 10:24 PM Re: Puppy training birds
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma
Try this number....Buster's Bird Farm 360-894-5877.

Don't even know if they are up and running or even where they are located but you can give the number a shot.

You could also ask around here.... http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/

Alot of trial people here and they use birds all the time.

I haven't used training birds for awile so I've been out of the loop for awile.

Hpe this helps.

#77562 - 11/11/04 10:28 PM Re: Puppy training birds
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Oh. Don of Buster's posted right as I was writing my last reply. Guess your in business.

I'll be getting a new pup soon too. Glad to know there is a bird farm closer to me.

If you kindly would Don, list off some of the more common birds you have and prices. Thanks.

#77563 - 11/11/04 10:48 PM Re: Puppy training birds
don savary Offline
Eyed Egg

Hi Benny,
Your right. We're up and running. Please spread the word. Things are starting to pick up again. Right now we have pheasants only but we are looking for quail and chukar. As for prices, I'll be posting our price scale on our web site (tonight). As I mentioned, it is still under construction. (www.bustersbirdfarm.com). I put a picture of myself and my buddy Dan with a couple of my roosters in the photo and video gallery. I haven't figured out how to put one with the reply yet. Maybe you can help.
Thanks,
Don

#77564 - 11/11/04 11:13 PM Re: Puppy training birds
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Don, sorry, can't help you with the picture thing. I'm a computer dumbarse.

Yeah you should get quail and chuckars. Get some pigeons too. May as well. They breed like rats and I know for a fact you could make money off them selling them to hunt test clubs for events, maybe field trials, and me. smile I would have some but don't have the space.

That would pretty much cover the size spectrum for all ages and breeds of dogs. Just a suggestion. I'll be out your way when I get a new pup for sure. I do recommend a more diverse supply of birds though.

Also, will pass on your business to those who are in need of birds. Your the only one I know of around these parts

#77565 - 11/12/04 04:03 PM Re: Puppy training birds
don savary Offline
Eyed Egg

[Thanks Benny
The hunters that call me most of them want phansants. We do get some peple that want quil and chuckar. note many.
Thanks
Don

#77566 - 11/12/04 04:51 PM Re: Puppy training birds
seastrike Offline
Hey Man....It's cool...

Loc: seattle
You can also buy a Western WA pheas lic. and shoot at a number of sites over here. I did it when training my dog but was soured on the experience by all the yahoos. I got pounded with shot twice (my fault I guess for not smarting up the first time).
I've trapped pigeon here in Seattle (U district,Shilshole,etc) with salmon nets and wonder bread many times. I love the look on the tree huggers faces when I do that!
If you do the pigeon thing you can take them to the pheas release sites like Stillwater and Cherry Creek and release them.
I do agree with your first responder.
Dave

#77567 - 11/12/04 09:24 PM Re: Puppy training birds
BennyBlack Offline
Returning Adult

Western pheasant? Not for me seastrike.

I quit doing that when I saw a guy's face all bloodied from someone swinging on him.

Too many people for me.

#77568 - 12/09/04 09:37 PM Re: Puppy training birds
redsharks Offline
Fry

Loc: Puyallup.wa
beathead dead dog
I've seen some bad shooting there the last three times I went there. And I don't want to get my dog killed. I met Don at Buster's Bird Farm and he did a really good job with helping me train Tiburon (Shark) I'd put pictures up but have not been able to get any put up on this site. Buster's Bird Farm is prety reasonable, private hunts and it is close to home. When the rain stops I will be going after more pheasant and he also does chuckers. And they taste good too. thumbs

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1458 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |