Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#775790 - 07/31/12 07:21 PM its TIME!! (Puy) ***
redhook
Unregistered

lets keep the stupidity away perhaps?

tommorows the opener, anyone else gonna give it a shot? gonna be tough the first few weeks, but should be a few fish around, seen a couple rollers when i was down a few days ago... had to buy some eggs to start off the year as i used everything up, no biggy, but 1 pound for 15 bucks eek2

ive also been buying jigs every time i go to the store, to start a decent collection of them, i will try a little harder this year than in past years trying to fish them...ive only got a couple Beau Mac floats and 1 Thill float tho, so i will have to start buying them too... i think these look pretty cool, but looking cool and catching fish are 2 different things...

they should work OK for silvers tho, which is what im going to try them on to get the hang of it, as well as more time with spoons... i was buying them too, but i lost the last 3 i bought so i havent bought any more, i have 4 or 5 more tho so im not completely tanked...

hopefully i can get a few skeins to do myself for the Sept Oct Nov time frame when i do really good on the Silvers... should be a fun year yet again...

anyone else going? or gonna wait for the river to get more fish?

#775798 - 07/31/12 07:48 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Never done the Puyallup. Nice looking jigs for fishing under a bobber. When I twitch jigs for silvers I'm partial to 1/4 oz., and some of the locals around here prefer 3/8.

#775806 - 07/31/12 08:01 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: Salmo g.]
redhook
Unregistered

im fairly new to jig fishing, ive only messed with it a few times, so i dont even know really what im buying... i figured i would buy the 1/8ths of the ones that i like, in colors i use and am successfull with in other lures, and then to 3/8ths, and 1/4.... im also not sure even what brands to buy, these are around 2.75 a pop, and more expensive isnt always better, so im just going to continue down the store isle, buying different brands and colors i like....

still have a couple of the old Fish Doctor Jigs, but they are small (1/8th) so i will likely save them for trips to the Coast this winter and such... figure with how many days i fish, and end up at the store, i should have 50+ jigs in no time... i would like to buy spoons too, but the Cleos are getting spendy (5 bucks a crack) and the other brands are even more spendy... gotta pay to play tho...

i mostly use eggs for salmon, but sometimes, you need to switch it up, since i cant drop 500 bucks on a bunch of crap now, 10-20 bucks a trip each time i end up there should get me enough to fool around with when i get bored...

Salmo, this might sound dumb, but if you want to try the river when it clears up in October/November for silvers, let me know, i dont fish with the jackwagon crowd, and i know a few spots many dont know about, your more than welcome to come...

#775813 - 07/31/12 08:43 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
TedR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: South Sound
Uh, save the jigs until like, October. The Puyallup is running about 0.7" visibility right now. I could be wrong, but in jig school I was taught you need at least 1.5 inches.

#775817 - 07/31/12 08:57 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: TedR]
redhook
Unregistered

most deffinately Ted, wont be running the jigs till there is infinite visibility... October/November time frame... once the freezing level gets below 8k feet, and the water clears, then i will start using jigs and spoons, till then, its eggs eggs and more eggs...

the water is also pretty fast right now, so a float would scream down river, i do really well drifting eggs tho, if it aint broke, dont fix it wink

i wanted to last year, but it just didnt seem appealing to me, but this year, i think i might have a video done of the snaggers up river a$$ snagging chum, paying no mind to me catching chrome silvers 100 yards down river of them... its down right comedy... last year i had some moron tell me that he caught a ton of fish, and that i wasnt doing it right, as i was leaving with a 13 pound silver, and a 4 pound silver, because he "hooked" 25 fish (all milting egg shooting chum) in the same time frame... those 2 fish came on back to back casts in a 30 minute time of fishing...

there are idiots all over the river, but you can distance yourself from them in the upper reaches, which is where i enjoy... plus it clears up way faster than down river areas such as Main and 5th ect...

should be a good year, they are expecting something like 28k hatch silvers this year, and boy do they love eggs....

#775819 - 07/31/12 09:01 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

alot of the people that i talk to on the rivers that pull the "i hate flossers" card, use leaders longer than i do... which is comedy in itself...

4 feet MAX, game on... or dont listen, and burn through a bunch of gear wink

#775821 - 07/31/12 09:08 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
4 feet? Sounds like you're flossing... Using eggs is a good way to cover it up though, nice work!

#775822 - 07/31/12 09:13 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: mreyns_tgl]
ParaLeaks Offline
WINNER

Loc: Olypen
whazzamatta Mark? Work getting in the way of fishing? You are not usually so surly. smile

#775826 - 07/31/12 09:20 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ParaLeaks]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Calls it how's I see it

#775827 - 07/31/12 09:22 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: mreyns_tgl]
redhook
Unregistered

LMAO

4 feet is flossing? should i just clip the hook to the swivel and screw the leader?

my leaders never extend the tip of my rod, call it what you want, i really could care less...

#775829 - 07/31/12 09:26 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

In a foot of viz all you need is a foot of leader. You can easily floss with 4 feet of leader, I see it allll the time.

#775831 - 07/31/12 09:32 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: mreyns_tgl]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: mreyns_tgl
Calls it how's I see it

+1

4 foot leaders are no necessito in water that has less than 1 foot of vis, unless you are a flosser.

I like this "im gonna try and start a legit fishing thread" side I'm seeing Redhook, you go boy!

#775832 - 07/31/12 09:33 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: mreyns_tgl]
redhook
Unregistered

thats horsesh!t and you know it... if i said i was running 4 foot leaders on the Duc it would be OK, but since i fish a river that attracts a bunch of morons, you put me in that group, even tho i mainly fish bait....

i aint ODH alright, so i would appreciate if you kept me out of conversations with crowds like that... i like my leaders 3-4 feet on this river, it works for me... if you cant catch fish on the Puyallup, maybe your leader is too short? and it has nothing to do with flossing either...

10 foot leaders, with one single plastic bead or corkie YES, but 2 small, or med corkies or even one, with a nice big glob of eggs will work great...

oh, and before you say "your eggs fall off then you are flossing" or something else stupid like that, i re bait every 3 or so casts... theres always fresh eggs on the end of my hooks....

#775846 - 07/31/12 10:06 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
Originally Posted By: redhook
since i fish a river that attracts a bunch of morons, you put me in that group

We put you in that group because that is where you belong.

yah sorry dude but........ +1

#775848 - 07/31/12 10:07 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
redhook
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
Originally Posted By: mreyns_tgl
Calls it how's I see it

+1

4 foot leaders are no necessito in water that has less than 1 foot of vis, unless you are a flosser.

I like this "im gonna try and start a legit fishing thread" side I'm seeing Redhook, you go boy!

in Oct and November when the freezing level gets below 8k, like i said, there is 30 feet of vis, its like fishing in a clean a$$ swimming pool....

bait guys are flossers now? or is it just because im Nate?

and yes, i wanted to start a legit fishing thread, even on a river that isnt known for legit fisherman, all of them arent the same... your more than welcome to come with me too SG... and no, im not even needing anyone to fish with, just saying, i will show you how productive the Puyallup can be, we can go to the spots where theres maybe 1 or 2 other people in a quarter mile of river...

#775852 - 07/31/12 10:16 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Started off well, but appears that the wheels are starting to come off.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#775857 - 07/31/12 10:27 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: Dogfish]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
lol

Flossing is not about leader length.............it's about the flosser's presentation. You can do it with a couple feet, you can do it with 10 feet. The only difference is how wide a swath you can cut with each cast.

Still no reason to use a 4-foot leader in water you could plant potatoes in.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#775858 - 07/31/12 10:31 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: Dan S.]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Clear water - longer leader
Dirty water - shorter leader

Ted,
One mans 1.5 inch is another mans 6 inch

#775861 - 07/31/12 10:33 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: Dan S.]
redhook
Unregistered

funny you said that Dan, because i hit the same 12 inches off the far bank that i always do, as close as i can get it.. so close, sometimes it stops on the rocks and i plop it in.... i cut no swath, im not a flosser...

i also said, 4 feet max, not that i always use 4 foot leaders... i generally never go below 2 feet tho, i like them 3-4 the best tho...

i know why this is going this way, its because of who i am... because of opinions that have been formed, so im just another snagger fvck...

so, lets see who does more for fisherys in this state this year...

i start tommorow, lets see how many tickets you get wrote and calls you make to the WDFW about illegal fishing... NOTE, you WILL lose this, read the last part of my sig line wink oh, and knowing the gamewarden isnt so bad either...

edit, not directed towards you Dan, its to everyone that wants to talk smack....

Edited by redhook (07/31/12 10:34 PM)

#775862 - 07/31/12 10:35 PM Re: its TIME!! (Puy) [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: rh
i cut no swath, im not a flosser...

Well, there you go, then. No need for further commentary.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |