WABOWMAN Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Lynnwood,WA
Stripper up tip down

#860699 - 10/02/13 10:04 PM Re: Sprial wrap for downrigger rods [Re: WABOWMAN]
WABOWMAN Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I wouldn't go with a trigger seat. It will cause problems coming out of a rod holder.
At this time I can't upload a pic of my rods but if you want it or if someone can do it for me I can email or text it to them. Just pm me and I will do it.

#860859 - 10/03/13 05:24 PM Re: Sprial wrap for downrigger rods [Re: WABOWMAN]
SideDriftin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Edmonds
Here you go Mike. Nice rods. Like the the aluminum reel seats with double locking rings.

#860873 - 10/03/13 06:07 PM Re: Sprial wrap for downrigger rods [Re: SideDriftin']
WABOWMAN Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Thanks Jason! I feel that I get a better action from the rod with the guides set in a continues spiral than with only 3 guides and less lateral stress on those guides.

#860883 - 10/03/13 08:01 PM Re: Sprial wrap for downrigger rods [Re: WABOWMAN]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
Is that an ALPS seat?? NICE!

#860896 - 10/03/13 09:17 PM Re: Sprial wrap for downrigger rods [Re: Terry Roth]
WABOWMAN Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Yes it is. It will be a few days(moving this weekend) but I will post the part#. I do know that in this color combo it comes in one size.

#864874 - 10/26/13 01:52 AM Re: Sprial wrap for downrigger rods [Re: Ofishal Bizness]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Originally Posted By: Ofishal Bizness
Fishbadger, ,for the info. I had been toying with using the Forhan Revolver style spiral but then I read some things that indicated there was no difference in performance between the two styles. Seems like the simple spiral would be easiey to lay out.

I'd love to see some pix of your builds.

Sorry it took me so long. . .you've probably wrapped three rods by now! Clay built the red one and I built the Michigan rod.

Anyhow, I'm a big fan of the carbon fiber rear grip (indestructo as needed if you load your rods in the clip like I do), yes on the trigger reel seat, and this is one application where I think a quality reel seat matters (these are Alps, who makes some good ones with double locking rings). The x-flock foregrip is easy and just for grins. Mine is a simple spiral (0-90-180), which works just fine, and there's nothing even close to line contact at any blank flexion.

Anyways, have fun, and let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to share my recipe for guide sizing and spacing on this blank. In my opinion, many of the published recipes use way too many guides, especially for these rods. Share some pix when you're done!

fb

Edited by fishbadger (10/26/13 02:12 AM)

#890034 - 03/26/14 06:27 PM Re: Sprial wrap for downrigger rods [Re: fishbadger]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
price??? LOVE that Alps reel seat....

#890115 - 03/27/14 12:29 PM Re: Sprial wrap for downrigger rods [Re: Terry Roth]
N W Panhandler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Bremerton, Wa.
Nice work on the Rod, if you make it to the Banquet say hi, Clay should be there also........chuck

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
cfinlip, Fishbait, gkohler
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 659 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |