Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#806726 - 12/11/12 09:36 PM Re: what animal made this scrape? [Re: steeliedrew]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

I have killed many a bear and have a couple close to 8ft mounted in the house, Those gouges go both up and down, And show no uniformity of the five claws, they can't just stick one finger out and rip. It is a big ol black tail buck, And have a few mashers of those mouned as well, with alot of knots and masher eye guards. also to close to the ground for a bear. Remember bears pop trees in the spring-early summer, when the cambium is flowing. This is why Ralph Flowers started the feeding program years ago in the spring and stopped when the berries ripened. To keep them off the tree's. The thought at the time, was it was a learned behavior. And if they could be fed and not pop, then that generation of cubs would not learn the popping technique. In areas with a lot of tree damage it showed signs f working. But at great expense. Big Blacktail
P.S boars in our temperate area of the westside do not hibernate long if at all. Prego sows have to, Babies are born hairless and just weigh ounces.

Edited by Met'lheadMatt (12/11/12 09:38 PM)

#806767 - 12/11/12 11:03 PM Re: what animal made this scrape? [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
I might be able to get out after work on Thursday. That would afford me about a 3 hour sitting in view of the rub. I'm thinking I'll sit just inside the timber on the uphill side of the road. That would put me about 30 yards from the rub. Would it be worth it to get some blacktail estrus scent to spray around the tree a bit? Maybe drag a scent pad behind me on the walk in also? and maybe if nothing comes within a half hour of dark should I produce some subtle young buck grunts or a doe bleat?

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#806833 - 12/12/12 01:15 AM Re: what animal made this scrape? [Re: steeliedrew]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

It would be worth it for you to rattle and occasionaly grunt. but stay put for a bit before moving, There is still some rutting activity going on, mostely does that got missed....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1410 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645377 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |