Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#821864 - 02/10/13 03:03 PM Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch
Local Offline
Returning Adult

Is it possible to have so much pressure on a river that it get cleaned out ? I know there are always new fishing moving up river but with the pressure on the Nooch is it possible ?

Edited by Local (02/10/13 03:04 PM)

#821867 - 02/10/13 03:22 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Local]
bankbum Offline
Spawner

I don't think so. There is so much water and the fish are constantly moving up and down in the system that it could seem fished out though, if you are only fishing a stretch like crossover to black creek and the bulk of the fish are sitting in the upper stretch

#821870 - 02/10/13 03:32 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: bankbum]
Bigtrout15
Unregistered

If you include netting as fishing then yes.

#821871 - 02/10/13 03:36 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: ]
Seemefishin Offline
Smolt

Loc: LAKE FOREST PARK, WA
I definitely think fishing and netting could make it seem like a river is fished out! I have been on rivers on days they were netting it and fishing was very slow! Then, hit it again a day or two after netting has stopped and it was a night and day difference!

But, I have also had crappy days when there were no nets and not many people... Either way, a day on the river beats working! LOL

#821872 - 02/10/13 03:55 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Seemefishin]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

The highest stock handle percentage I know of is 20% on Tillamook Basin fall chinook, and this is hook and line, not commercial.
And the commercial exploitation is 40%.

#821881 - 02/10/13 05:23 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Illahee]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Well I can tell you the following:

This is from the trap Report 2/9/13.....

The trap was "emptied on 2/7/2013"...In the trap was:

Silvers ...... 4, hauled above trap

Hatchery steelhead... 91, of those, 62 went above the trap and 29 were taken to the hatchery.

Wild steelhead to the trap........ for the season..... 2...these 2 wild were taken to the hatchery.

Note..... above trap can mean either of the following:

1. Placed between trap and the dam

2. Placed above the dam, in the lake

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#821926 - 02/10/13 11:14 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: DrifterWA]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
This Nooch sounds like a good place...lots of people talking about it...............

#821927 - 02/10/13 11:46 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: snit]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
Sure it is if you drift gillnets!!!

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#821928 - 02/10/13 11:56 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Misguided]
puyallopfisherman Offline
Eyed Egg

how do you get dere from tacoma? sound like good place

#821955 - 02/11/13 08:19 AM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: puyallopfisherman]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: puyallopfisherman
how do you get dere from tacoma? sound like good place

Why are you using a false proxy?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#821963 - 02/11/13 09:51 AM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

DrifterWa, Those totals seem low for season counts, Are both the Hatchery and wild season totals, I know of one day in Jan that they had many Silvers, and 61 Seelhead, and was told it was aout 50% hachery 50% wild on the Steelhead. By the person that runs Satsop camp and helps empty the trap at times... I was suprised to see so many silvers for that late stage, and so many Wilds for that early stage. I also wonder if the Wilds are spawning in the lower system and not going to the trap. My boats touch rate is 42% Wild and 58% hatchery with 13% of the wild being spawners, And our touch rate is on pace with last years for this time frame. even with the lower waters.... But it does worry me on this river is that out touch rate for Wilds over hatchery on other rivers within the system, Favors the Wild almost 2 to 1. With comparable catche numbers. Maybe with all the pressure and repeated handling of the Wilds on the Nooch over the last 10 years, The handling/hook mortality are taking there toll. They need to bring the Cowlitz numbers back up to where they were 20 years ago, to help take pressure off the other rivers, like it use to.

#821972 - 02/11/13 11:08 AM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
On some of the Puget Sound rivers during the 1980s when there were creel surveys there is some pretty good info on what portion of the hatchery run the sport anglers caught.

Of the fish that got by the "nets" the recreational fishery over a season often caught 2/3 of the fish in the river(at times as high as 90%). While an individual angler is not all the effective in catch the fish as group it can be pretty shocking on effective we can be.

Can the river be fished out? No but we can signficantly reduce the overall abundance but more importantly fishing pressure can quickly remove a high percentage of the population of the best biters and most accessible fish.

BTW -For a variety of reason on the whole in-river steelhead fisheries are much more effective than in-river salmon fisheries.

Curt

#822025 - 02/11/13 04:49 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Met'lheadMatt]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Met'lheadMatt :):

Trap report Total, as of 2/9/2013......Tacoma Public Power, does the reports...This year the 1st trip was done on 10/24/2012.

There have been 24 trips....the total fish removed from the trap are as follows:

Coho.........849
Jacks......... 11
Kings......... 17

SH Hatchery 95.......65 above trap and 30 to hatchery
SH Wild 2.......taken to hatchery.

Wild numbers on this fine river, have continued to decline. Winter Steelhead numbers are down. The problems are many, more pressure on this river, gill netting 3 - 5 days a week December thru March/April, mitigation monies not being spent for Coho and Steelhead.

Region 6 spends 1000's of hours on Salmon things.....hatchery, North of Falcon, divide the pie between tribes, Non tribal, and sports.

No meetings, that I'm aware of, between WDFW and the general public to talk about steelhead......That is a problem !!!!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#822027 - 02/11/13 05:22 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: DrifterWA]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
The nooch has had it's momments this year......but way to much pressure on the fish.Good luck,
SZ

#822046 - 02/11/13 06:44 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
I don't think it is possible to fish-out a river, but the easy to catch fish (my favorite ones) get scooped up pretty quickly.

I will always be confounded by steelhead movements. At least in my neck of the woods, every time you think you have something dialed, it doesn't pan out, and then you take some off chance 3 hour trip when conditions are poor: Every rock has a steelhead hiding on it that can't wait to chase your crappy eggs across the river while you try to get your beer open.

#822075 - 02/11/13 08:18 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Rocket Red]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Quote:
They need to bring the Cowlitz numbers back up to where they were 20 years ago, to help take pressure off the other rivers, like it use to.

While that would certainly help, the overcrowding issues on the Nooch range well beyond the Cowlitz. You've also got most of the traditional PS winter steelhead rivers now closed months earlier than they used to be so all those fish-starved guys need a quick, easy place to access. Having a major freeway going right up to the doorstep of the river makes it a no-brainer for many.

Until many of those PS rivers re-open(and how soon do you honestly believe THAT'S going to happen) the Nooch crowding problem will continue as is....maybe worse in the years ahead if you can envision that.

A final thought....I think some of the crowding problem can also be blamed on HSRG reforms years ago. That re-structured, reduced or outright did away with plants in many smaller, "local" fisheries. When the scheme was proposed, I recall the media and other groups saying "this isn't gonna be good for opportunity".

Seems they were right.

#822102 - 02/11/13 09:36 PM Re: Can you "fish out" a river ? Nooch [Re: Eric]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Originally Posted By: Eric
Quote:
They need to bring the Cowlitz numbers back up to where they were 20 years ago, to help take pressure off the other rivers, like it use to.

While that would certainly help, the overcrowding issues on the Nooch range well beyond the Cowlitz. You've also got most of the traditional PS winter steelhead rivers now closed months earlier than they used to be so all those fish-starved guys need a quick, easy place to access. Having a major freeway going right up to the doorstep of the river makes it a no-brainer for many.

Until many of those PS rivers re-open(and how soon do you honestly believe THAT'S going to happen) the Nooch crowding problem will continue as is....maybe worse in the years ahead if you can envision that.

A final thought....I think some of the crowding problem can also be blamed on HSRG reforms years ago. That re-structured, reduced or outright did away with plants in many smaller, "local" fisheries. When the scheme was proposed, I recall the media and other groups saying "this isn't gonna be good for opportunity".

Seems they were right.

I have very little to add to this, well said. The drift boat masses congregate on the Nooch because of a lack of opportunity elsewhere closer to the Metro area. It is the Chehalis Basin's beloved steelhead river, there's a freeway, plenty of media on it, an easy row...it'll get busy.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |