Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#825732 - 02/27/13 07:29 PM Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Ahhhhh, damn dog!
Rising federal spending and huge deficits are pushing the nation toward a financial and economic crisis. Policymakers should find and eliminate wasteful, damaging, and unneeded programs in the federal budget. One good way to save money would be to cut subsidies to businesses. Corporate welfare in the federal budget costs taxpayers almost $100 billion a year.

http://www.cato.org/doc-download/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/pdf/PA703.pdf

Interesting read.

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

I think name-calling is the right way to handle this one/Dan S

We're here from the WDFW and we're here to help--Uhh Ohh!

#825741 - 02/27/13 08:05 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Since right wingers hate welfare, and love the free market, it's amazing how hard they fight to give away tax dollars to market participants who give them the most donations.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#825746 - 02/27/13 08:19 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Todd
Since right wingers hate welfare, and love the free market, it's amazing how hard they fight to give away tax dollars to market participants who give them the most donations.

Fish on...

Todd

Like half a billion dollars tax return Facebook?

Oil and Gas Tax Breaks:
$2.4 billion a year

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Corporate_Welfare/Oil_Tax_Breaks.html

Fishy

The idea of a middle class life is slowly drifting away as each and every day we realize that our nation is becoming more of a corporatacracy.

#825748 - 02/27/13 08:25 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

Tax breaks for billionaires. Loophole for hedge fund managers costs billions in tax revenue

This policy memo focuses on the privileged tax treatment given to hedge fund managers that results in a conservative estimate of over $6 billion in forgone tax revenue.

http://www.epi.org/publication/pm120/

Fishy

#825749 - 02/27/13 08:29 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

So who do they blame for the budget deficit?
People on public assistance.
JFC wake up you dumb fuks and smell the coffee.

#825751 - 02/27/13 08:33 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Illahee]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Cut it ALL

No more free passes for anyone or anything, except welfare and unemployment for 6 months MAX with mandatory drug testing.

Cut it ALL

#825756 - 02/27/13 08:47 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: ]
IrishRogue Offline
Poon it! Poon it! Poon it!

Loc: Yarrow Point
Remember everyone, they're not corporations they're job-creators. You can't be against them or you're a job killer. F corporate welfare. I believe their primary impact is to enrich shareholders. And I don't fault the companies for taking the tax breaks offered to them to relocate, or invest, whatever. That's just good business.

The problem is that tax credits/rebates are never counted like spending when all the "Pay as you go" crowd is in the room.

Now the facebook one is interesting-- I'm definitely not an accountant, and Hank asks:
Like half a billion dollars tax return Facebook?

I raise this point because I believe the corporate tax rate that facebook would pay on this $$ is *lower* than the individuals paying ordinary income (for typical FB employees). So since these were stock option grants -- in the 100's of millions of $$ -- I believe having this stuff taxed on the individuals (and not on the corporate return) is actually a net positive for revenues. Unless you're arguing for doubly taxing it?

B

#825772 - 02/27/13 09:25 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Closing loopholes is necessary...and is a drop in the bucket compared the the real coporate welfare...subsidies to multi-billion multi-nationals.

That's the real corporate welfare...not tax loopholes.

Fish on...

Todd

#825779 - 02/27/13 09:45 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: ]
IrishRogue Offline

Hank,

In my experience, it's not a capital gain on a stock option, it's ordinary income. You have an option at $10... The day you exercise that share is a taxable event -- say the market price is $20 that day, incur $10 in ordinary income regardless of how long you held the option.

After that, you own the share, future earnings are st/lt capital gains based on how long you hold from that point.

So I think the whole enchilada in this case is ordinary income.

#825780 - 02/27/13 09:46 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: ]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

If "free markets" were anyone's cup of tea we wouldn't be talking about corporate welfare and multi-billion dollar subsidies.

Fish on...

Todd

#825787 - 02/27/13 10:09 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: ]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
They should have crashed the jet into both houses of Congress, not the Pentagon. Osama might have picked up a few fans.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#825788 - 02/27/13 10:19 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Dogfish]
IrishRogue Offline

WOW! I'd only ever been around NQSO's versus these ISO/Statutory Stock Options. Is this a relatively new thing? Seems like a MEGA loophole that your exercise (which is instantaneous--and realizes income of the difference between your basis and the current FMV) isn't a taxable event.

I read a bit on this because it's new to me... Sounds like the AMT may/does apply though -- but the AMT and its application anywhere confuses the crap out of me so I'll just be happy that I learned some new stuff to go read up on.

#825789 - 02/27/13 10:20 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Dogfish]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Corporate welfare in the federal budget cost tax payers $100 billion annually.
So why are you anusbrains saying we need to cut entitlements?
You can't honestly be that stupid, can you?

#825792 - 02/27/13 10:31 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Illahee]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I'm saying cut it all. Loopholes, corp. welfare, tax breaks for wall street, entitlements...the whole shebang. We are OUT of money. It'll never happen, but it sure as s.hit needs to...

#825794 - 02/27/13 10:35 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

If we're talking about the $100B in Fishy's link, you should pop that open and see where that money is and how it got there. I don't think Fishy actually read it and I doubt very seriously he'd be interested in an institution like Cato anyway. They're a think tank dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, limited government, free markets and peace.

I could go along with him liking individual liberty and peace, but somehow I don't really think limited government and free markets are his cup of tea. grin

Sure Hank and I just threw a dart at the board and hit it. Go copy and paste some more cartoons.

Fishy

#825797 - 02/27/13 10:41 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: NickD90
Cut it ALL

No more free passes for anyone or anything, except welfare and unemployment for 6 months MAX with mandatory drug testing.

Cut it ALL

Drug testing is silly...but if we're going to do it, then everyone making over 100K for a company that receives any subsidies or exercises any tax loopholes gets drug tested, too.

Fish on...

Todd

#825809 - 02/27/13 11:06 PM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: ]
Somethingsmellsf Offline
River Nutrients

New Study: Offshore Tax Dodging Blows $40 Billion Hole in State Budgets

Washington, February 5th – With states across the country facing dire fiscal crunches and lawmakers in Washington gearing up for more budget showdowns, U.S. PIRG Education Fund released a new study revealing that state budgets were hit collectively with $40 billion in lost revenue from offshore tax dodging last year. Many of America’s wealthiest individuals and largest corporations use tax loopholes to shift profits made in America to offshore tax havens, where they pay little to no taxes. U.S. PIRG Education Fund was joined at the event by Congressman Lloyd Doggett, the Main Street Alliance, the American Sustainable Business Council, and a small business owner.

At the national level, offshore tax loopholes cost federal taxpayers $150 billion each year, which would be more than enough to cover the scheduled spending cuts that are set to take effect in just a few weeks.

http://www.uspirgedfund.org/news/usf/new...e-state-budgets

Fishy

Edited by Somethingsmellsf (02/27/13 11:08 PM)

#825834 - 02/28/13 12:53 AM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Somethingsmellsf]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

ssf, why do you hate 'Merica so much?

Fish on...

Todd

#825849 - 02/28/13 08:34 AM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Todd]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
As everybody should know corporations don't pay taxes from that big bucket of money they are hiding, they increase the cost of goods or services to cover the taxes. As far as corporate "welfare" goes, the corporations can keep prices lower by moderating their tax liablity. Take the "welfare" away and prices will rise.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#825857 - 02/28/13 10:12 AM Re: Corporate Welfare in the Federal Budget [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: Jerry Garcia
As everybody should know corporations don't pay taxes from that big bucket of money they are hiding, they increase the cost of goods or services to cover the taxes. As far as corporate "welfare" goes, the corporations can keep prices lower by moderating their tax liablity. Take the "welfare" away and prices will rise.

Yeah, just like they'll be "Job Creators" when they get the big tax cuts, right?

That's what's called the vaunted "free market", JG...if you can't beat your competitor's pricing, then down you go. If you can't produce your product at a profit and make decent sales, then down you go.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cameron D., FlyingFish, NEfishLdo, shinnecock1
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1004 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645421 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |