THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#83762 - 12/06/99 03:54 PM Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Extreme Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ridgefield, WA.
What is your favorite all-around hook?
FYI, for me they are:
Drifting bait: "Mustad" 92141 size 1/0 (single hook)
Drifting lures: Same or "Mustad" 92553 (single hook)
Plugs: Gamagatsu Siwashs
Plunking: "Owner" 3/0 single.

Thanks

#83763 - 12/06/99 07:07 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle/port angeles Washingto...
I'd have to say that my favorite ALL AROUND hook would have to be either Mustad's 2/0 (You have to sharpen them, but they are very strong!) And the Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp BRONZE 2/0... Much stronger than the nickel ones, at least the point of the hook... These two hooks seem to work good for me!! =)

Tom

#83764 - 12/06/99 08:53 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
For drift fishing I like VMC hooks, you have to file them but they are good hooks and the price is right 125 for $6.00 I use sizes 6 to 5/0 just depends on what Im fishing for and water conditions . But the one I use most is #1/0
For plugs its Gammies all the way,#30 hot shots get a 1/0 siwashany thing bigger gets a 2/0 and my kwik fish get VMC permasteels all trebles on them.

#83765 - 12/07/99 12:18 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
oscar Offline
Fry

i generally use eagle claw lazer sharps in size 1-2/0. the price is right and i haven't broke or straightened one yet. i do occasionally buy vmc's. also good hooks in my experience.

#83766 - 12/07/99 02:16 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
RPetzold Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett, Wa
I am surprised I there hasnt been any votes for Gamakatsus (Gammas) yet...they are by far the best hook on the market!! They are the most expensive but if you buy them in 25 packs they arent that much more expensive and they are undoubtely worth it.
For winter brats I usually fish a size 2 or 1 in nickel, for the nates I fish a 1/O or 2/O, depending upon the bobber and bait I am fishing. For summer runs, I fish n.s. black from a size four all the way down to a size 8.
I only fish their jig hooks. I fish the heave wire from either a 3/O all the way up to a size 6, all depending on the time of year and the type of jig I am fishing.
I just recently started fishing their hooks for tying bugs and Ill never go back to Teimco, considering they are a whole lot sharper and about the same price.
Tight Lines
Ryan

[This message has been edited by RPetzold (edited 12-06-1999).]

#83767 - 12/07/99 02:33 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
sebastian Offline
Fry

Loc: Federal Way
My favorite drift hooks are mustads octpus. They do have a fine tine though, and you have to keep an eye on them and brush them up with a file every once in a while. I love their short shanks, long tine and "very" offset points, these are three reasons I wont use gamakatsus anymore. I have looked at the eagle claw bronze and will probaly try these to, they also have short shank[almost a complete u]and a healthy point offset from shaft- but with alittle heavier tine than the mustad. Not the short fat tine of a gamakatsu octopus which I dont care for. For plugs I like gamakatsu trebles. Have fun out there! Sebastian out.

#83768 - 12/07/99 03:19 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

The only thing I am impressed with Gamakatsu wise, is how sharp the buggers are when you buy them.. I'm good with a file, and can get that out of ANY hook... Problem with VMC's that I have found are that they bend easy... Only complaint.. I like Gamakatsu treble's though.. Good hooks.. But I like the Lazer Sharp Bronze... SO strong, and have a lot fewer lost fish with them!

Tom

#83769 - 12/07/99 10:55 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Time spent having to check and sharpen soft hooks is a pain in the a** and takes away from fishing time....Gamakatsu's-hands down!

#83770 - 12/07/99 11:57 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
seadeep Offline
Smolt

Loc: Mukilteo, WA
Many of you have mentioned sharpening your hooks. I'd like to ask your opinions on files. I've used several types, but not been pleased. The cheap ones rust, some of the others don't work well. If you'd let me know where to get a good file (and the cost) I'd be very appreciative.

#83771 - 12/07/99 12:07 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Gammies all the way, no sharpen required!!!
Files: in my opinion, Luhr Jensen, yellow handle file is best, about 5 bucks. If you keep it in your "Holditz" with your pliers it wont rust too bad, I usally buy one to two a year. Cheap investment for extra sharp hooks. It can be hard to sharpen the hook if you hold the hook in your hand (too mushy), I like to use my leadmasters to hold the hook firmly. You can feel the file "bite" then!!!

#83772 - 12/07/99 12:07 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Gammies all the way, no sharpen required!!!
Files: in my opinion, Luhr Jensen, yellow handle file is best, about 5 bucks. If you keep it in your "Holditz" with your pliers it wont rust too bad, I usally buy one to two a year. Cheap investment for extra sharp hooks. It can be hard to sharpen the hook if you hold the hook in your hand (too mushy), I like to use my leadmasters to hold the hook firmly. You can feel the file "bite" then!!!

#83773 - 12/07/99 12:20 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
fishrmn Offline
Smolt

Loc: Shelton, WA
For drift fishing, a size 2 "Vision" hook, red being the color of choice. I used VMC's for quite a while - they are a decent hook. The Vision hooks are sharper and a lot stronger!

#83774 - 12/07/99 01:21 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
fp2 Offline
Fry

Loc: Soldotna,AK. USA
HOOKS:Steelhead anywhere from #2 to 3/0 depending on the conditions of the water and the size of drift bobber used. Do not use a big bobber and a small hook. Stick with the Gamakatsu's. Spend the money, they are worth the price.
Now if you are using a hook you have to sharpen do it at home when you are tieing it up and then shove the sharpened point into a felt marking pen tip and it will coat the point and keep it from rusting.
I also use a Luhr Jensens hook file and they last me for years because I never lay it down... NEVER... When a partner borrows it I always tell them not to lay it down. I also have a file pocket sewn into my fishing shirt and always put the file there.

#83775 - 12/07/99 02:09 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Alright, I sharpen all my hooks BEFORE I tie them.. Reduces chances of running your line along the file, and creating a weak spot accidentally. I can get a lazer sharp SHARPER than a gamakatsu in a matter of about 10 seconds.. It's all in the technique... Once you learn it, its easy and fast, about 5-6 swipes in a certain order.. Gamakatsu's are too brittle in my opinion, cause I've broken several of them.. I've tweaked maybe a dozen of Lazer's, but have not once broken one...

Tom

#83776 - 12/07/99 02:33 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I am really surprised. I thought this would be an overwhelming majority for Gamakatsu's, but it isn't. I fish them exclusively from size 4 to 2/0. I find their small diameter, short barb and sharpness allows for deeper penetration above the barb. I have always found the eagle claws to be thicker and harder to get in above the barb, but you are right, the thicker hook will be stronger. I have found the VMC to be excellent for chums. I have had several break on me and dont mind using the cheaper hooks on chums, but would never use them for Steelhead. I will have to take another look at the Eagleclaws to see if they have improved at all....but until then, I will keep the Gamakatsu sticker in my back window.

#83777 - 12/07/99 03:43 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
TH Offline
Spawner

Loc: Coos Bay, OR
gammies all the way... steelies and nookers.

As for a sharpner..... I don't sharpen hooks, I replace them (drift fishing). Gammies are soooo sharp out of the box, I would rather fish a new hook than sharpen one. Just me. yes, I buy a ton of hooks, just ask my better half. ( the flo. pink 1/0 with a pink worm !! WOW I like that.

VMC cone cuts on the Kwikies, "I think they come with them now???? I haven't bought one this year, It's hard to buy new kwikies when you have a box full with lots of scratches on them :-)

What does the,'Really Big One" use???

What a cool board!!! I think I am approaching my 1 year aniversity and I still enjoy checking the board everyday.

Thanks BOB
www.thcustomrods.com
541-260-9991

#83778 - 12/07/99 04:57 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mustad 9263E 3/0 for winter runs. Supply is running low!! Anybody have any in there tackle store? Would sure like to get some and can't find any without a $2500 minimum order. Has to be the E series "stands for extra strong"

#83779 - 12/07/99 06:48 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
headshakes Offline
Parr

Loc: Wales, UK
Tested the "VISION" hooks this weekend (1/0) on the snoqualmie and were they strong, real sharp out of the box plus the price was right. They seem to fish quite a while and remain sharp. Still running GAMI'S on the plugs and jigs though.

#83780 - 12/07/99 09:15 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Mustad 92553. You have to sharpen them, but what hook do you not have to touch up after 10 cast of draggin' them on the bottom? snit

#83781 - 12/07/99 10:06 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Gotta go with Gammies guys. Usually the red anodized in size 2 when fishing from the boat, and 1/0's when drift fishing.

Let's face it, Gammies are damn sharp right out of the package, and hooks simply don't cost enough to screw with too much. Any hook I need to sharpen out of the pack is one I porbably won't use again. And Gammies hold their points a damn sight longer than a hand sharpened Eagle Claw Lazer. The Lazers are OK, but not quite the same point-quality as Gammies.

As for breaking hooks, are we talking about on rocks and stumps here? If so, then so what if a hook breaks, just tie on another. And if we're talking about breaking a hook on a fish, then try backing off your drag.

Hooks are a small part of your fishing budget, but they have EVERYTHING to do with how many fish you hook and land. So I say buy your Gammies in bulk and change your hooks often. Not doing so will only dramatically decrease your odds of sticking that fish nibbling your bait with a hook.

Just my $.02

Fish on.........

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#83782 - 12/07/99 10:18 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Jigman Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
I like OWNERS in the 2/0 for drift fishing. I love that cutting edge for hook penetration. As for plugs I run VMC wide bends in trebles and Gammies in 2/0 siwashes when I run singles. As for jigs............

#83783 - 12/08/99 01:48 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Pete Offline
Alevin

Loc: Portland, OR
Gamakatsu recently started producing florescent painted hooks. I tried some on silvers because of the color, but found they are sharper than anything else I've ever seen. Out of the envelope they are so sharp they stick easily in a finger nail. For drift fishing, they are my clear choice.

#83784 - 12/08/99 02:56 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I'm trying real hard to keep hooks one of the least expenses in my tackle box...I'm able to fish pretty cheap, and am successful at the same time! I almost NEVER have to sharpen a lazer sharp twice... They are a strong hook, and hold one hell of an edge..

Tom

#83785 - 12/08/99 08:11 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Washington USA
Vision hooks all the way around...If you haven't fished this hook made here in Western Washington...then get some you will be surprised!!

Jim

#83786 - 12/08/99 01:37 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
IntenseGK Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia, WA
You can buy Gamakatsu's in 100 count packs and save arond .10 a hook. I am always into looking into another hook. Every hook I have seen that actually competes with Gamakatsu out of the pakcage is actually more expensive. Gammy's have that stickiness right out of the box you need. Even with hooks though it is a confidence thing and you must fish with what you feel best with.

#83787 - 12/08/99 05:43 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
seadeep Offline
Smolt

Loc: Mukilteo, WA
Some folks on this thread seem to be against Gammys simply because of the price. Anyone know what the lowest price is in the Seattle area for either the 25 or 100 pack? And where?

#83788 - 12/08/99 08:59 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
AkBill Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I had some Owners left over from The Keys and tried them for drifting. I would switch to them over Gammies but I haven't found them in Ak.. Like Jigman, I feel they get better penetration.

#83789 - 12/08/99 11:56 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Driftin ... Gammie Octopus...
Plugs ... Gammie Barbless...
Hardware ... Gammie Siwash...

I will be giving the Vision's a peek this winter ... we'll see how they fare ...

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#83790 - 12/09/99 10:21 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
willierower Offline
Spawner

Loc: Albany OR
Ok it doesnt matter what hook you buy, they all can use a little touch up. For gammies ( when I bought them) I used a diamond hone. A file justwont bite the hard steel of a Gamakatsu. For softer hooks I use a Luhr Jensen thumb file, they are about $ 4.95. They work great. To keep them from rusting just give them a squort of WD-40 when you get home.
The biggest thing I see with people whining about dull hooks is that they have no clue how to file them the right way. Its easy, it just takes a little practice to get it right.

p.s. where can I find Vision hhoks?????????

#83791 - 12/09/99 03:04 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
fishrmn Offline
Smolt

Loc: Shelton, WA
Willie-
You can get Vision hooks by calling Tom at "The Fisherman's Den" in Yelm (360)458-9111. He buys direct from the factory in Lacey. He also says the the factory will not sell to individuals - you must go through a retail seller. Tom, who is a part-time guide in the South Sound, says he and his fellow guide buddies use nothing but Vision hooks. I currently get my Vision hooks through a guide, as well, but will be buying my next batch from Tom.
-Mark.

#83792 - 12/09/99 11:58 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
wit45cal Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup WA
Don't have a hook preference yet, as none I have tried have induced more takedowns which seems to be a requirement for hooking and landing more fish. The most effective file/hone I have seen is the EZ-Lap diamond hone. Rustproof and available in varying grit size. "diamonds are forever"

#83793 - 12/15/99 12:38 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
jiggy-wit-it Offline
Eyed Egg

Tried the new 'Vision' hooks last weekend. They seem just as sharp as Gammys' but are they as strong? Anyway, I hooked 10 and only landed 6. Three of the four i lost just came unhooked..hmmmmmmmmm? They are definately cheaper...

#83794 - 12/16/99 10:20 AM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
Extreme Offline
Smolt

Loc: Ridgefield, WA.
Judas Priest guys! 31 posts so far! Next time I'll ask what your favorite Barbie is.
Thanks for the info,
Extreme.

#83795 - 12/16/99 01:25 PM Re: Poll: What's Your Favorite Hook?
DJ wonderkid  Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Definitely Ken Doll... He's such a cutie... *wink*

*LMAO* KIDDING GUYS.... =)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 495 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |