Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84148 - 12/29/99 10:07 PM Fenwick Techna AV / Shimano Calais Questions
Stadle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle Area
Has anybody tried either of these. Was in the store recently and both caught my attention. Would like to know how the new Fenwick stacks up v loomis. I am considering purchasing a new 9'6" rod.
The Shimano Calais has a magnesium spool and I was curious if this makes a big difference.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

#84149 - 12/30/99 01:58 AM Re: Fenwick Techna AV / Shimano Calais Questions
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
I got a Fenwick AVC96MF2 a couple months ago. I can't tell you how different it is from my Lamiglass rods. It's the most sensitive rod I've ever fished, and super light. I keep my shorter, heavier rods on hand when I'm fishing but hate to use them. I'm convinced there's not a better rod available, I just wish they'd make one 10'. haven't tried the calais, don't want to...I might like it. by the way, I paid less than $100 for my rod

#84150 - 12/30/99 02:24 AM Re: Fenwick Techna AV / Shimano Calais Questions
JEB Offline
Parr

Loc: Lewiston, Idaho
Erik, by chance could you compare the Techna AV to Fenwick's HMX line? One of my drift partners has an HMX T86ML and I really like the feel of it -- especially for the price tag. If the Techna AVs are superior in feel and similar in cost, I'd probably pick one up.

#84151 - 12/30/99 02:35 AM Re: Fenwick Techna AV / Shimano Calais Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't used the Calais, but in Japan Shimano sells a lookalike reel with the magnesium spool called the 'Metannium Scorpion' (no, I am not making up this name!). In Singapore a couple of the tackle shops have brought in the Scorpion, and I bought one two months ago after doing a comparison with the Calais and deciding they were more or less identical.

The Scorpion sells for roughly 75% more than a Chronarch does (but still 20% less than a Calais). The Scorpion looks identical to the Chronarch with the exception that it's a gunmetal grey color (and quite a bit heavier), all metal, loaded with ball bearings, and has that alluring free spinning magnesium hub that purrs when you flick it.

So how does it fish? Well, the magnesium spool is smoooth (indeed), and for casting light shot-weighted flies on light line, it's the only baitcaster I own that can do the trick w/o backlashing. (Of course, you could find a quality spinning reel for $50 that does the same thing, but that's a different issue.)

And truth be told, even a gear junkie like me can't really justify shelling out the extra cash for this reel. I certainly appreciate the difference between a Calcutta 200 and a Chronarch and willingly pay the $30 more. But I'd rather have one Calcutta and one Chronarch EACH than only one Scorpion (or not even one Calais).

If you're determined to drop some serious money, the new Daiwa Millionaires have an even smoother spool than the Calais (I've done side-by-side comparisons in the tackle shops, too), and more line capacity. The drags are also excellent (so I've read). I'd want to practice cast this one up against a Calais before I made up my mind. About the same price, too, I believe.

#84152 - 12/30/99 10:35 AM Re: Fenwick Techna AV / Shimano Calais Questions
Stadle Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Seattle Area
Eric,

Where did you get a Fenwick Techna AV for $100? I have seen them in the store for around $300.

Thanks

#84153 - 12/30/99 08:47 PM Re: Fenwick Techna AV / Shimano Calais Questions
Erik Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: North of Seattle/ South of For...
this is the first and only Fenwick I've ever fished. I would have a hard time paying $340 for a rod too. see if you can take them out in the lot and cast both of them. You'll be amazed at how "crisp" the TechnaAV feels. considering the materials used to make the AV you won't find a more sensitive rod until other manufs. catch on. depending on what you are used to, I'm sure that the HMX will be a step up. good luck!

#84154 - 12/30/99 10:49 PM Re: Fenwick Techna AV / Shimano Calais Questions
Rick Mueller Offline
Alevin

Loc: Granite Falls,WA
The wife bought me a Calais for Christmas .I've yet to try it out, but will be fishing it on Sunday. Just remember, steelhead fishing is a premiere sport, you get what you pay for- You Loomis guys know what I'm talking about.

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |