THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#843634 - 06/13/13 01:19 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: Dan S.]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

All great in their own rites. I don't listen to much by any of them at home anymore, but I can appreciate them all while hearing them out and about. AC/DC flat out rocks. You can say you don't like 'em, but there's no denying that Angus Young's tone defines rock to the letter, and Bon Scott's voice was much the same.

Rush is probably the best rock band ever from a technical perspective, but aside from a few songs I really like, I think the overall product tends to suffer from too much technicality, rendering many songs somewhat disjointed. They do get bonus points for keeping the original lineup intact for so long; that really is impressive.

As for Van Halen, we all know Eddie is a guitar legend. Diamond Dave, despite being a freak, is a great rock singer. Wait... On second thought, I guess being a freak makes him a better rocker. I think Alex is a very good drummer, but I dislike the way his playing gets produced on record (hi-hat is always over the top in the mix). The main thing that annoys me after listening to a lot of Van Halen is the background vocals. They always sound the same, and not good at that. Their cover of "Dancing in the Streets" is horrible, in my opinion. Maybe I just don't like that silly song....

Anyway, all three bands boast some of rock's finest musicians/vocalists, and they are all worthy of "great" status in my mind. That said, as good as all those guys are, none of them rank among the tip top of musicians in general. For example, as good a drummer as Neil Peart is, he doesn't touch some of the jazz guys from the 60s and 70s. The popularity of rock music versus other styles probably has a lot to do with the acclaim some of these guys get as masters of their instruments.

They're all better than me. That's for damned sure.

#843662 - 06/13/13 04:09 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Anyone have Nate's #?, he needs a wake up call. laugh

- Albert Einstein.

#843664 - 06/13/13 04:17 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: Sol Duc]
Natron
Unregistered

im right here, i have to run to town so its gonna have to wait... ill be back...

FF good points...

#843675 - 06/13/13 05:13 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
I pulled this tidbit from Wikipedia.

" Rush's sales statistics place them third behind The Beatles and The Rolling Stones for the most consecutive gold or platinum studio albums by a rock band.[120]"

not a bad group to be lumped in with.

#843704 - 06/13/13 07:31 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: Dan S.]
RobertF
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
AC/DC - High Voltage

Great album

#843788 - 06/14/13 02:05 AM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
Magicfly Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Pasco Bulldog country
Recently ACfuckingDC has been my listening preference....but vintage RUSH never gets tiresome.

Mf

"Go hard, today Can't worry the past, coz that yesterday". GO COUGS!!!

#843948 - 06/15/13 02:51 AM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
RobertF
Unregistered

Bon was the real fuckin deal man

#843961 - 06/15/13 10:54 AM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Bon is a f'n legend. He was as good a front man as you'll ever see in rock and roll.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#843977 - 06/15/13 03:42 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: Dan S.]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Back in Black will stir any party or gathering from the dead, if that doesn't get your groove on...your probably dead. thumbs

- Albert Einstein.

#844035 - 06/15/13 09:22 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Ok, I saw Rush in the title so I gotta chime in.

To re-affirm what was said 47 times above, all 3 bands kicked ass at different points in their careers. And, for different reasons. I own music from all 3 but you'll see more Rush on the iPod than the other 2.

AC/DC.......Never been a fan of Brian Johnson's voice yet Bck n blk
is one of my fav's musically. Go figure. You guys think
Geddy's voice sounds like he got permanently kicked in t
nuts yet Johnson's voice is so thrashed you can't even
understand what he's saying. I'd hate to be that poor
bastard trying to grind out an entire tour. Bon was in a
league of his own. High Voltage (the import) was a fav.

Van Halen...The albums up through Diver Down were the best.
Van Hagar doesn't count. The boys could rock but even
being the guitar god he is, I actually think a lot of
Eddie's playing sounds the same after a few songs. The
same guitar acrobatics song after song only goes so far
for me.

Rush.........3rd best selling rock band of all time. There's a reason for
that guys. Some fans appreciate the flash and thrash of
our first 2 bands, others are drawn to the technical
precision and song writing of Rush. I guess that's where I
fall. And, as mentioned above, the same trio sticking it
out together pushing 40 years is nothing to blink at
either. But more than anything, There fans love how
they pretty much told the world and critics to stick it
where the sun don't shine during those 40 years and did
exactly what they wanted to without selling their souls
to the industry.

Sorry, didn't mean to type a thesis.......just a fun topic.

#844036 - 06/15/13 09:30 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: Eric]
RobertF
Unregistered

Brian Johnson seems like a cool guy,but he could never replace Bon Scott,and his voice sounds like hamburger now.

Hate to break the news to ya but all three of these bands have been around 40 years. Ya,they are OLD.

Love all of them . There's a lot of other music out there and thats a good thing because I need a change from time to time.

#844039 - 06/15/13 09:43 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Any other Judas Priest fans? God, I love their music. My second all time fave, never did see them live.. frown Halford voice is badass!

What's some of your favorite bands?

Edited by Sol Duc (06/15/13 09:59 PM)

- Albert Einstein.

#844041 - 06/15/13 10:37 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: Sol Duc]
Natron
Unregistered

what about Aerosmith?

i think Rush is actually 4th behind them in record sales....

#844042 - 06/15/13 10:43 PM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Hankster
Originally Posted By: Dan S.
Bon is a f'n legend. He was as good a front man as you'll ever see in rock and roll.

As good as Jagger?

Sure, why not? Depends on what flavor of music you like.

#844057 - 06/16/13 01:32 AM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: Sol Duc]
RobertF
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
Any other Judas Priest fans? God, I love their music. My second all time fave, never did see them live.. frown Halford voice is badass!

What's some of your favorite bands?

Saw em when I was 18 at the Oakland Coliseum. I was lit lol. Saw them 4 times after that. Back when they were on top of their game few bands could touch them.

#844058 - 06/16/13 01:39 AM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
RobertF
Unregistered

Remember those guys?

#844059 - 06/16/13 01:56 AM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

That was a blast from the past, I don't think they were around very long?

- Albert Einstein.

#844060 - 06/16/13 02:09 AM Re: Who's betta? Rush....AC/DC.....Van Halen ? [Re: Sol Duc]
Natron
Unregistered

i like rock, but... well yea...

grin

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Cam, FisherJoe, Gettin-It-Wet, Krijack, Steelheadstalker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
5 registered (SpoonFed, Carcassman, 20 Gage, snit, steely slammer), 1397 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |