LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#84353 - 01/04/00 01:35 AM Chums in Nisqaully YET?!!
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
what is the deal with the Nisqaully run of chums this year? does anybody have an update? I was really looking forward to fishing them and nothing has happened! They are the only chums I like to fish. thanx for any info.

dcrzfitter

#84354 - 01/04/00 03:27 AM Re: Chums in Nisqaully YET?!!
IntenseGK Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia, WA
I know what you are saying. I would really like the chance to head down there and catch some of those chrome bright chums. They are being netted as aggressively as ever. It sort of makes me wonder if these fish are effectively being fished out. This sort of thing has happened before with the once large run of wild steelhead that was nearly diminished. It's coming back because of the end of January closure we have been seeing to both nets and sporties. But the gauntlet of nets these Chums and Kings have to make it past is outrageous. Counted over 30 nets one day when I floated it to the salt. How does a fish make it past all of this?

#84355 - 01/04/00 10:16 AM Re: Chums in Nisqaully YET?!!
salmon Offline
Fry

Loc: Rainier, WA
You're both right on the dog run this year. From when it first began in mid December until the end of the month it has been extremely slow. Yes, there are those who have caught fish and overall have been successful, the run is nothing compared to previously years; along with last year. The Nisqually nets has always been a factor in not only the chum run but with the kings and the steelhead runs as well that used to grace this river. Other factors have been netting/trolling in local waters (sound and sea) and especially the 20-40 mile long drift nets utilized by other nations at sea. The blame does not lie with just the Indian greed (the greed we gave them decades ago when they saw the wealth to be had) but the greed of many; including several sport- fishers I have seen! I'll continue to enjoy my favorite pastime and will do a little bottom bouncing tomorrow (after the nets come out)just below the tank crossing bridge but more importantly, I will continue to voice my opinion and force myself to become more politically active in restoring this wonderful natural resource that is being decimated...decimated by nets.
Tom the salmonMan.

#84356 - 01/04/00 10:33 AM Re: Chums in Nisqaully YET?!!
Steelheader boy Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Olympia Wa.
Been down several times in thelast week or two real slow the fish that are being caught are crome and hogs but far and few in between theres a big sea lion hanging around below the mounts bridge, I got 1 last thursday ,went down yesterday natta!!
tight lines ......
I'll be back today

#84357 - 01/05/00 12:20 AM Re: Chums in Nisqaully YET?!!
CRAVEN MOOREHEAD Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: TACOMA,WA
I remember the days in the early 80's when it was automatic 2 fish days for steelhead in March and April on the Nisqually. I got my very first one there March 13, 1983...a date which will live in imfamy. Now the steelhead are almost gone from the Nisqually. I remember saying in recent years that the Nisqually is an automatic limit on Chums in December and January.....someone remind me to quit saying that!
AND, that Sea Lion is HUGE!

#84358 - 01/05/00 07:17 PM Re: Chums in Nisqaully YET?!!
spinnerman Offline
Alevin

Loc: Kent WA
Just got back from muck creek area. The fishing was dead only seen two caught. It looks as if the Indians gave up no sign of nets anywhere, must be over for them this year. Was hoping to have some fun with them before the winter runs show up, looks as if even they will be bad this year except for the nates hopefuly.

#84359 - 01/06/00 07:10 PM Re: Chums in Nisqaully YET?!!
Kevin Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: seattle,wa
Just read that they're closing it on Sat.
Tight lines
Kevin

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, Carcassman), 1459 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |