Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#858531 - 09/21/13 09:34 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Castingpearls]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Saturday 9/21/13

Quite a few bankies fishing "jacks", I was the only boater......not as many biters as in the recent few days.

I had 5, was looking for 6..........wham......fish hits and takes off "up river"....line screaming off reel, pull anchor, get motor started, have to get line off a branch, fish still there but BUT BUT, my 75 yards of braid is about gone.......can see backing.......fish runs more......line completely gone.....1st time in my life I've been spooled.

Never really had a chance....10.5' rod, rated 4-8 #.......but it was fun!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#858546 - 09/21/13 11:23 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: fish4brains]
Jaydee Offline
2010 SRC Champion!

Loc: Paradise City!
Originally Posted By: fish4brains
The season should have never opened for king retention. I can't remember how many times at NOF when there was a "surplus" of a couple hundred paper fish, that the sport reps would ask for no king retention and RW would find every way to justify it.

This!

#858731 - 09/23/13 09:34 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Jaydee]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Sunday 9/22/2013

21 bankies, 1 boat.....lot's of small silver jacks, barbless hooks help return to the river. I fished for about 3 hours, rain drove me out. Did see more guides, don't think they did any good. Rain and river closure below 101 Bridge, has got to help....move more Coho up river.....I'm in a twitching mood.

Silver jacks smoke up very nice, can vaccum seal so they'll last. Caught with the right fishing gear, can be fun.

Edited by DrifterWA (09/23/13 09:35 AM)

#858733 - 09/23/13 10:54 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

No high jack of thread but.....

Breakfast......Had onions, mushrooms, smoked Coho jacks, eggs...

Some butter, cut up the onion, in the pan.....cooked for a few minutes, throw in the mushrooms, add some pepper.....throw in 1/2 of a smoked jack.......add 1 egg.....cook until done!!!!

Good eating!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy your day...where ever you are.....just better not be fishing, West of the 101 Bridge in Aberdeen!!!!!!

#858741 - 09/23/13 12:04 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Jaydee]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Jaydee
Originally Posted By: fish4brains
The season should have never opened for king retention. I can't remember how many times at NOF when there was a "surplus" of a couple hundred paper fish, that the sport reps would ask for no king retention and RW would find every way to justify it.

This!

Yup. They wouldn't be able to justify an unnecessary non-tribal commercial gillnet fishery, though, if they didn't have paper fish for sporties to fish for...so they'll gladly tell us it's all good and don't care that we'll fish right past the paper limit of the paper fish. They'd get even more crucified than they are getting now if they closed it to sport retention and then went ahead and opened up the gillnet fleet.

In a world of overharvested and poorly managed fish runs the Grays Harbor management regime is the worst...and that, my friends, is saying something.

There is no "here's what fish we have, how are we going to catch them?" going on...it's "here's the fisheries we are going to have, how are we going to justify them on paper?".

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#858766 - 09/23/13 03:20 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Todd]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
" There is no "here's what fish we have, how are we going to catch them?" going on...it's "here's the fisheries we are going to have, how are we going to justify them on paper?". " I think your right on with that one Todd.

Bad visibility in mid reach at times as a tainted water about 2 1/2 miles long is running up and down the river. Water temp is down to 62.2 and that is good. Never seen a fish other than the one the Osprey flew by with and Sturgeon. That said one a hit bent the wire in my #6 at a 90 degree angle and about removed the rod from my hand. Oh almost forgot ( not likely ) it was gone before I could get my lips off the deck.

Little more:

After a little jiggle R6 has the Willapa commercial harvest up. http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/commercial/salmon/landings.html 15551 commercial Chinook caught so far and the model showed 13512 total sport & commercial harvest. Now there could be more fish or they were early, or they really had a lot of commercial effort or ............... well you can pick.

Now compare to GH and wella sports bay running ahead / shut it down. Strange how that double standard works.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/23/13 06:19 PM)

#858822 - 09/23/13 09:20 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Crap! This is what I came home to? I planned my summer/fall fishing around fishing Gray's Harbor coho during the last week of September. I know it's before the peak of the coho run, but Oct. has the harbor full of gillnets most days, so I don't fish it in Oct.

I missed B-10 this year because I got that week of good tides in the Dean R draw, but thought I'd make it up with GH coho. So went back to BC last week to fish for steelhead figuring I'll get my salmon fix with GH coho later this week. I got the message Friday about the chinook closure, but no big deal, we'll be fishing for coho anyway. WTF? Closed to all fishing Sept. 23-28? So I get to fish GH Sunday the 29th, only. Thanks WDFW, from those of us who have to schedule our fishing vacation time in advance. Also great timing for us small boat guys who depend on the soft tide days to fish that are happening this week. A perfect fvck up.

Sg

#858881 - 09/24/13 01:17 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Salmo g.]
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
How was steelhead fishing?

#858966 - 09/24/13 02:34 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Double Haul]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Steelhead fishing was fine, but now I'd like to fish for salmon just a bit.

#859016 - 09/24/13 09:36 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Salmo g.]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Without giving locations out I can say I received a report that they have been getting Coho between Cosi and Fuller Hill. That is good news and means they have started to show even if they are not hanging out down low.

#859028 - 09/24/13 10:21 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I believe the run will not be as large as the preseason prediction. Much like the CR it appears.

Edit: IMHO Staff will downsize the coho after the cowboy days. beathead

Edited by slabhunter (09/24/13 10:26 PM)

#859196 - 09/25/13 09:10 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: slabhunter]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Really quite out there guys. Anyway back at it today and one coho hen and that was it. I did not see much of anything showing and same with a couple of other guys. Water temp is way down and very clear soooooooooooo ................ no idea where the fish are.

#859272 - 09/26/13 11:08 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rivrguy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Yesterday was an interesting day. I started out at Porter. There were fish around, but no biters, save for one merciful jack. Moved to the Satsop, thinking the dropping flows after the recent rain might mean good things. Fishing for jacks was excellent, and I did manage to find a couple adult chromers (only one to hand). There were fish moving for sure; must have been the fish Rivrguy reported between Cosi and Fuller on Tues. noticed there wasn't much catching of adults going on....

I had planned to take out at Fuller, but the incoming tide hadn't reached the Satsop yet, so there was to be no rowing up there. Opted to go to the pump houses and have a friend pick me up, thinking there might be fresh fish coming with the tide. I saw what Rivrguy saw... Not much. The fleet below Fuller all said it had been tough. Mostly jacks, and not tons of those. I was ready to get off the river, so I didn't fish hard, but the casts I did throw produced only one jack bite. About 200 yards below the mouth of the Satsop, I hit the tidewater. The rest of the "float" was a long, hard row to the takeout. Didn't see much in the way of fish rolling, etc. along the way. It does beg the question of where the fish went, but I guess it just works that way sometimes.

Looks like we're in for a blowout this weekend, so I'm glad I got out yesterday. Between the jacks and the few big ones I did find, it was a fun day of fishing. Hopefully, the rain will send enough wood down the rivers to keep the nets out for a few days and get a bunch of fish upriver before the gang rape begins... I suppose that's asking too much....

#859285 - 09/26/13 11:59 AM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: FleaFlickr02]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

I don't normally like to "talk rain" but for the next few months....some brown water with lot's of trees, logs, sticks would be OK.

Tides all wrong for me......but guess I'll do the "jack" bit again.....wish they would raise the limit and have no punching.

#859295 - 09/26/13 12:27 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: DrifterWA]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Back when netting was a 3 day a week thing. I hated October rain. I could count on at least steady fishing every day as long as I could get on the river.

Now, with the every-day netting for us upriver guys we have to get lots of rain if we want to catch anything in October. Last year October was turrible until we got that blowout at the end of the 3rd week.

Nice report FF02.

#859301 - 09/26/13 12:51 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Rocket Red]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
RR,
Looks like you are going to get the rain this weekend, three weeks earlier then last year. Friday thru Sunday look a bit wet.
I hope some fish get upstream so we can have some good October fishing.
SF

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

#859308 - 09/26/13 02:19 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: stonefish]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
SF,

Yes, I am urgently trying to button up my office right now so I can get some more fish by the time it starts to rise. Hopefully we got mud and whole trees working in our favor next week. If the predictilator is right, that just might happen.

#859338 - 09/26/13 05:27 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: ]
Castingpearls Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: The Rock
Originally Posted By: 2MANY

Mother nature throw trees at nets.

Amen!

#859343 - 09/26/13 05:49 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Castingpearls]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
There can be too much of a good thing - the Skagit at Concrete is forecasted to reach flood stage by the end of the weekend.

Not a good thing for the Chinook and humpy eggs in the gravel.

Curt

#859392 - 09/26/13 09:24 PM Re: Chehalis Fishing Reports [Re: Smalma]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Thursday 9/26/2013

Tide was good for jack fishing, took some time but got'um. Bankies were there again, only 7 and they caught fish, 1 other boat, parked, and fishing adults. Weather was perfect.

Stopped at Monty boat launch, on way home. Parking lot was full, can't give a report on fish caught, cause of the boats going home...no fish!!!

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Al Gore, czer, Robb92, wallyw
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |