Page 13 of 202 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 201 202 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#857528 - 09/16/13 12:27 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET *** [Re: Smalma]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Curt:

What you perceive "North of Falcon" to be, and what it is, in my opinion, at least in Region 6....doesn't/isn't working.

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#857532 - 09/16/13 12:44 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: DrifterWA]
Happy Birthday Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
While this looks like a fight among the non-Indian users, consider that the Tribes would look bad to the public (remember that they are The First Conservationists) if they were the only non-selective fishery or the only ones fishing, period (close the Straits to rockfish, for example).

Recreational fisheries can be very targeted, release non-target fish, be off the water if conservation so demands it.

Consider how many problems would be caused in the rest of the State if Willapa had sport only, no wild retention, no chum retention unless there actually were harvestable fish. Sets a really bad precedent.

#857557 - 09/16/13 01:57 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Smalma]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Smalma
Drifter -
I agree given the current situation the best option to get serious discussion on priority changes for the two bay recreational fisheries is via the Commission's North of Falcon policies.

Curt

Commissioners are well aware of the contentious fisheries in GH and WB.

They stepped up this past spring.... only to be trumped by the latest CR-103.

They have been duly notified of the latest development.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#857577 - 09/16/13 03:10 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
" The principal reason for adopting the changes is that they are responsive to comments provided by commercial industry representatives during the last comment period associated with the rule making process, while maintaining appropriate conservation and harvest opportunity allocation objectives."

That statement was the most ridiculous one in the CES. The hearing was to comment on the proposed CR 102 Supplemental and only that. Ron Warren at the March 29th meeting said Phil approved 14 days at 14.7 %release mortality all done no more input. Then at the following Advisers meeting came with 7 days at 25% release mortality and stated all done and will / did file CR 102 Supplemental. So everyone at the hearing testified as to the proposed CR 102 Supplemental commercial season. Here is the process on WDF&W's website. http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/how_to_participate.html This is HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/glossary.html

The APA process is rather straight ahead in most government agencies other than WDF&W. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=34.05 One thing about it WDF&W R 6 it is innovative at the least but rather doubtful that they are in compliance with the APA guidelines but that never seems to bother them much. Following the law that is.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/16/13 03:23 PM)

#857600 - 09/16/13 04:11 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Drifter -
Please note I said NOF policies - not NOF.

Every year the Commission asks for comments on that policy (C-3608).

The current version for Chinook and coho states -

"•The Puget Sound harvest management objectives for chinook and coho stocks, in priority order, are to: (1) provide meaningful recreational fishing opportunities; and (2) identify and provide opportunities for commercial harvest. When managing sport fisheries in this region, recreational opportunities will be distributed equitably across fishing areas, considering factors such as: the uniqueness of each area; the availability of opportunities for various species in each area throughout the season; the desire to provide high levels of total recreational opportunity; and the biological impacts.

•Grays Harbor harvest management objectives shall include opportunities for both the recreational and commercial fisheries.

•The Fish and Wildlife Commission’s policy on Columbia River Salmon Management (POL-C3620) shall guide pre-season and in-season planning of Columbia River salmon fisheries. Columbia River harvest management regimes shall be developed in cooperation with Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife representatives.

•Willapa Bay harvest management shall be consistent with Willapa Bay Framework management objectives. The following general intent shall apply: Willapa Bay harvest management objectives shall include meaningful opportunities for both recreational and commercial fisheries.

•Pacific Ocean harvest shall be managed consistent with the Pacific Fishery Management Council’s Framework Salmon Management Plan and the National Standards that provide for fair and equitable allocation of fishing privileges among various fishers."

It seems to me a good strategy would be to try to get the "Willapa Bay Framework and the Grays Harbor harvest objectives on the table for discussion and potential modification. If indeed as eyeFISh suggest the commission is aware of the situation and the late modification in the CR-103 that was something other than what was thought to be agreed to we might be able to argue that more detail direction needs to be provide in policy C-3608.

Something more along the Policy guidance for Puget Sound where recreational fishing (and the economic value that produces) is the first priority would be a great start. That obviously would be a tough sell but that is the process that I see has the best chance of developing meaningful changes (from the recreational perspective).

Curt

Edited by Smalma (09/16/13 04:11 PM)

#857735 - 09/16/13 11:49 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Smalma]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

http://209.206.175.157/Fishing%20Regs/chehalis%20commercial.pdf The link is to the QIN schedule for the Chehalis and Hump.

Chehalis only:

Wk 40 2 days
Wk 41 3 days
Wk 42 4 days
Wk 43 2 days
Wk 46 3 days
Wk 47 5 days

Now the ugly part. The QIN exercised their right to half across the bar but good ole WDF&W tried to stack in the Chehalis rather than pick up the slack on the Hump. ( numbers only now not if is a good or bad thing ) This resulted in 1987 Chinook to the minus for escapement with only 10,377 adults to the gravel. For those not familiar the Chinook goal is 12,364.

Straight talk time. The QIN have rights by treaty and confirmed by the courts. Done deal, period. The problem is not the QIN but rather WDF&W's absolute refusal to recognize that the QIN and Chehalis Tribe ARE the GH commercial fisheries. This thing that WDF&W R-6 is determined to maintain the " non Indian " commonly know as the ' White Boy Commercial " at all cost has gone way past ridiculous the last two years. If ever there was a doubt as to the total lack of any management of the resource by R-6 it should be gone gone gone. These guys could not manage writing instructions on how to use toilet paper without screwing it up.

If anyone wants the Fall Planning Model with the QIN dates in just PM me and I will send it to you.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/17/13 12:00 AM)

#857748 - 09/17/13 01:45 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
http://209.206.175.157/Fishing%20Regs/chehalis%20commercial.pdf The link is to the QIN schedule for the Chehalis and Hump.

Chehalis only:

Wk 40 2 days
Wk 41 3 days
Wk 42 4 days
Wk 43 2 days
Wk 46 3 days
Wk 47 5 days

Not quite.... since QIN puts in and takes out at noon, in terms of calendar days....

2 = 3
3 = 4
4 = 5
and 5 = 6

So it boils down to this....

beginning Sunday Sept 30, Q = QIN nets and W = WA State nets

9/30 = Q
10/1 = Q
2 = Q
6 = Q
7 = Q
8 = Q
9 = Q
11 = W
13 = Q
14 = Q
15 = Q
16 = Q
17 = Q
20 = Q
21 = Q
22 = Q
24 = W
25 = W
28 = W
11/1
4 = W
5 = W
6 = W
10 = W
11 = W
12 = W
13 = Q
14 = Q
15 = Q
16 = Q
17 = Q
18 = Q
19 = Q
20 = Q
21 = Q
22 = Q

13 net-free days in all of Oct, and 5 net-free days in Nov thru the 22nd

Time your Chehalis adventures accordingly.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#857760 - 09/17/13 08:35 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: eyeFISH]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

yikes, thanks doc I forget and use 24 hours from modeling.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/17/13 08:43 AM)

#857761 - 09/17/13 08:45 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
'nookblood Offline
Alevin

I don't see anything on 2-c of the Hump updated on either the link or on the State's site. Anybody have any info on that? Am I just missing it somewhere?

#857770 - 09/17/13 09:41 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: 'nookblood]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

nookblood:

Here ya go......from QIN web site

http://209.206.175.157/Fishing%20Regs/Quinault%20Nation%20Fishing%20Regulations.mht

Every thing people wanted to know, about scheduling.....when and where!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (09/17/13 09:43 AM)

#857772 - 09/17/13 09:52 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: 'nookblood]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Hump for the state it is in the CR 103P http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/permanent.html#13-01-064 and is four days November 1 & 2, 6, and the 14th.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/17/13 11:07 AM)

#857777 - 09/17/13 10:34 AM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Not absolutely sure, but I think this is actually better than what we had in October last year. November, however, when those nice, big coho are running strong, looks like an absolute slaughter. The NT nets will be done after their last day in November, but the QIN will be in 6 days per week the rest of the way for their "winter steelhead fishery."

I agree that the Tribe is only doing what the law allows in the fall salmon fishery, but I will NEVER be convinced that nets in the water 6 days a week amounts to 50% of the available catch in what is, despite being labeled a steelhead fishery, none other than the rape of the highest quality component of the coho run. This, in my mind, is where they should be challenged about their supposed commitment to sustaining salmon.

As for the NT gillnetters, well, Rivrguy has it pegged. They are legally entitled nothing, but their fishery is the one that cuts into our opportunity the rest of the season. Sickening.

#857792 - 09/17/13 12:28 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: FleaFlickr02]
banki Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Montesano, WA

#857839 - 09/17/13 03:50 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: banki]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Back out so no fishing but I did input the QIN seasons for the Hump into the model. Sooooooooooooooooo starting late in the game with the tangle net fiasco the state was running behind on window's of opportunity so they leave 905 paper Chum unharvested. Not to fear though as the QIN will harvest 8465 on paper to a deficient of 3607 but the states screw up let the paper fish 905 come off the impact for a total of 2702 or 12.9% BELOW minimum Grays Harbor Chum escapement. As the actual preseason forecast is not accurate due to counting hatchery Chum and naturally spawning Chum as the same fish one can assume the tributary stocks above the Satsop are just going to get nailed. Another year, another disaster, another dollar as Region 6 ambles down the path of destruction.

#857844 - 09/17/13 04:45 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

banki:

I knew there was a reason I stopped my home delivery of the Daily World.......so I wouldn't have to read bull xhit "letters to the editor", like that one.

Thanks for posting.......

#857891 - 09/17/13 08:53 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: ]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Well, all this good news just caps off an already $hitty day.

thumbs

#857900 - 09/17/13 09:36 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Eric]
gregsalmon Offline
Spawner

Loc: alaska and washington
Do they count the fish sold behind Walmart?

#857916 - 09/17/13 11:13 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: gregsalmon]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Gregsalmon:

QIN fishermen, can sell up to 3 salmon or steelhead a day......all other fish are suppose to go to the fish buyer.

I don't like it but 3 is better than 100.....

Edited by DrifterWA (09/17/13 11:13 PM)

#858342 - 09/20/13 08:10 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: DrifterWA]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Up in both threads:

September 20, 2013
Grays Harbor anglers required to release chinook Sept. 22;
fishery to close for nearly a week Sept. 23
OLYMPIA - To help ensure spawning goals and management objectives are met for wild chinook salmon, anglers will be required to release all chinook beginning Sept. 22 in Grays Harbor Area 2-2 (east of the buoy 13 line) where the fishery will close for nearly a week the following day (Sept. 23).
The salmon fishery will reopen Sept. 29 with a daily limit of three salmon, but anglers will be required to release all chinook.
Ron Warren, regional fish program manager for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), said the changes were necessary to help meet spawning goals for wild chinook salmon returning to the Grays Harbor basin.
"Angler effort and catch have been much higher than we anticipated since the fishery opened Sept. 16," Warren said. "With those increases, it was necessary that we take these steps to ensure enough wild chinook salmon make it back to the spawning grounds."
Warren reminds anglers that Grays Harbor Area 2-2 (west of the buoy 13 line) is already closed to salmon fishing.
For more information, check the emergency rule change at https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/erule.jsp?id=1363 .

#858344 - 09/20/13 08:39 PM Re: FISHINGTHECHEHALIS.NET [Re: Rivrguy]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

now its only 2-2.. next it will be basin wide!!!

I thought they didn't do in season adjustments???

mainly region 6

Page 13 of 202 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 201 202 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 865 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |