Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#867547 - 11/06/13 11:12 PM New to NW Washington
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Hey all,
I just recently moved here in May from Connecticut and so far have had an extremely difficult time adjusting to the fishing style of Washington. I have read everything I can and spoke to a local fishing guide for any tips possible. Nothing. I am in the Navy but have plenty of free time to fish and currently live is Silverdale, WA. I have fished Point no Point, Salisbury Park, Humptulips River and about as many places in between as i can find with only 2 coho and one chum to show for it. I have been looking for someone to invite me to fish with them and show me the way of the great NW. I have a Kayak and basically all the gear I would need. Is there anyone that just wants another person to go fishing with? That also wouldn't mind teaching me a few things? I'm in my early 20's with nearly 5 years in the Navy as a Diver and love fishing. Let me know.. I am a sponge! grin

email me or post here THANKS!
crisco14@hotmail.com

CJ

#867551 - 11/06/13 11:29 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: cjjohnston14]
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

Loc: Oahu, HI /Olympia, WA
well first off your view of success is skewed because i imagine you were a good fisherman over there....you've caught a few fish here. thats pretty good on average. you could talk to more people that have done worse and fished longer. you got a long road unfortunetly for fishing on your own and having banner success. Your doing the right thing trying to find someone to fish with....and i may concede to take you because i know how frustrating it can be. the key is to just get out there...keep pounding and watching. check run timings on hatchery's. HELL call them up and ask how many they have gotten back and their projection...thats the end point for most salmon. rain will bring em up..dropping water levels after a rain make for easy aggresive fishing...jeebus..you can and their are novels of this stuff and theres a lot of info for even one species. keep at it. if i get a spot...ill let you know on here. keep watching other people who do well. remember where they caught fish and how. both are equally important.

i'll PM you a start.

#867552 - 11/06/13 11:40 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: Mergantroider]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Well first off I have to say I did quite well in CT fished 300 days last year. My freezer was always stocked. But this area is a whole new monster and I would love to master it. I haven't met an area that I haven't been efficient at in my opinion. Your right I would love to find someone with experience that I don't have to pay seeing as I am on a military budget. Any information I can find or get whether reading or in the field I'm all about it my friend. My wife has delt with this fishing mistress for years and doesn't stop me. Haha

CJ

#867554 - 11/07/13 12:17 AM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: cjjohnston14]
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

i sent you a private message...envelope thing on the top of this screen by your profile. good luck hoss

#867577 - 11/07/13 07:29 AM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: Mergantroider]
Nicknasty999 Offline
Parr

welcome... lots of time and knowledge on this site and im sure soneone might let

#867583 - 11/07/13 09:10 AM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: Nicknasty999]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Yea so far I have talked with some great people. I am on the Washington Lakes forum as well but people have been much more generous here

CJ

#867617 - 11/07/13 01:15 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: cjjohnston14]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
All I have to say is welcome to the NW and enjoy the process man! The best times I have ever had fishing are when I was figuring things out for myself. When you put a piece of the puzzle together and it finally works for you that is one of the sweetest feelings. Eventually it all becomes 2nd nature, and while it is still fun the joy that comes with each success stars to fade.

Keep learning, keep reading, keep watching and the next thing you know it all starts to work out.

Just last year I had grown bored with steelhead fishing the way I had been doing it, so I committed myself to a new style of fishing (plunking in this case) and it really rejuvenated the sense of discovery and made last winter really enjoyable. Now I can't wait to build on the things I learned last winter.

#867632 - 11/07/13 01:51 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: Rocket Red]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Welcome.....keep @ it and it will all come together.Good luck,
SZ

Pay close attention to water levels this winter for some winter steelhead fishing.

#867636 - 11/07/13 02:08 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

@Rocket Red
Thanks man, I have been doing all the possible research I can and part of that is finding sites such as this to learn from the wisest and "saltest" to be come effective as quickly as possible.

CJ

#867638 - 11/07/13 02:17 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: ]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Do I? No... Do I look like someone?

CJ

#867651 - 11/07/13 02:49 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: ]
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

bahahah

#867652 - 11/07/13 02:50 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: Mergantroider]
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

FP...you checking the graphs ( rubbing hands together) im literally getting a Foner just thinking about all them 'hos in that river

#867665 - 11/07/13 03:29 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: ]
Mergantroider Offline
Professional Tveecher

No its an Acronym for Fish-boner....Foner...

#867669 - 11/07/13 03:43 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: Mergantroider]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I never realized that they could pop an actual boner.

#867688 - 11/07/13 05:13 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: cjjohnston14]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Washington Lakes is contaminated buddy! There's not a worse site on the internet. I've seen more beat up, boot ass, presmoked pieces of sh!t that most of the knuckleheads on that site catch and kill. The bonehead (no need to name him) that runs that thing is a poor example of the true fishermen in this state. If you want to learn how to floss, eat decaying fish, poach and litter up the rivers it's the site for you. If you want to learn to fish this is the place. That site couldn't compare with this one. As Merg said it's just staying at it. You will meet people that will be happy to show you things and of course there are those who won't show you anything. You seem to hitting all of the right places. And since you are already a fisherman you know that fishing with confidence makes all the difference. By the way...I thank you for your service in the Navy. I really appreciate it and I'm sure everyone on this site does. This will help you monitor the river levels.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/current/?type=flow

Edited by gooybob (11/07/13 05:13 PM)

#867704 - 11/07/13 07:12 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: gooybob]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: gooybob
Washington Lakes is contaminated buddy! There's not a worse site on the internet. I've seen more beat up, boot ass, presmoked pieces of sh!t that most of the knuckleheads on that site catch and kill. The bonehead (no need to name him) that runs that thing is a poor example of the true fishermen in this state. If you want to learn how to floss, eat decaying fish, poach and litter up the rivers it's the site for you. If you want to learn to fish this is the place. That site couldn't compare with this one. As Merg said it's just staying at it. You will meet people that will be happy to show you things and of course there are those who won't show you anything. You seem to hitting all of the right places. And since you are already a fisherman you know that fishing with confidence makes all the difference. By the way...I thank you for your service in the Navy. I really appreciate it and I'm sure everyone on this site does. This will help you monitor the river levels.
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/wa/nwis/current/?type=flow

Yea I talked to a guy that works at Sportsmans here in Silverdale and he told me about this site and basically said the same thing about the Washington Lakes site. I am an overly obsessed fisherman (as my wife would say) and love mastering new areas anywhere I can. Finding people this helpful is a blessing for a rookie Salmon fisher such as myself. I really enjoy meeting new people everywhere and finding new fishing buddies. Honestly, I have more guys I hang out with and fish than anything else.

Your Welcome, being a Navy Diver is a demanding stressful job for a young guy like me but I really enjoy it and having people Thank me for that is such a rewarding feeling.

Edited by cjjohnston14 (11/07/13 07:13 PM)

CJ

#867716 - 11/07/13 07:52 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: cjjohnston14]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Do you know Cuba Gooding Jr.?

#867737 - 11/07/13 09:28 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: RB3]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

HAHA no I do not and he portrayed the first African American Navy Diver Carl Brasheer. (Sp?) and my old Master Diver at my last command worked for him at one point and said he was a huge @$$ and always had a chip on his shoulder. Haha

CJ

#867738 - 11/07/13 09:29 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: RB3]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Buy Rain Gear - the best you can afford. And Hoodies too....lots and lots of Hoodies.

#867741 - 11/07/13 09:40 PM Re: New to NW Washington [Re: NickD90]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I have some good stuff. That the Navy gave me I'll stay dry smile

CJ

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Jordan, UncleChris
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1151 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645410 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |