THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#868734 - 11/11/13 08:49 PM Boeing contract....
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Loc: Snohomish
Here's an image that describes how most of us IAM 751 union members are feeling about the contract.

Edit: I did not create this photo. It's just something circulating around.

That is our CEO. If he were to retire today he would collect over $260,000 per month from his pension!!! Yet they want to freeze our pensions and make it so it takes over 20 years for all new hires to max out on the pay scale!!!? When I say new hires I mean anyone who were to hire on after the vote on Wednesday.

I just came back from the Union rally at the local union lodge in Everett and I'm pretty fired up. Some of you may have seen it on the news. there's far too much I could write about here but here it is in short...

If we bend over and accept this "ultimatum" then we lose everything we have gained over 75 years! the union fought for my rights long before I was born and I'm currently fighting for my rights, as well as my current and future brothers and sisters! The company wants to give us all a $10,000 signing bonus if we vote yes. I could give a sh!t about $10k if it means losing all we have fought for. There are MANY who feel the same as me. I think that should speak for how bullsh!t the proposed contract is, because lets face it folks...$10,000 is a lot of money to most anybody!

Here's a link to a website that was created to help educate people on what is actually going on.

www.751voteno.com

Edited by steeliedrew (11/11/13 08:53 PM)

"Dude...where's your boat!?" Team runaway drift boat prostaff.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#868741 - 11/11/13 09:05 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

our current contract is supposed to be in place until 2016. This all just came out of nowhere last week. It is a contract ratification. We cannot strike this year. Only on years when the contract is up for discussion.

Big Stick 2012: "EVERY thought of my being, is in regards to being a Hi-Tech Predator and I relish the role."

#868748 - 11/11/13 09:14 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: steeliedrew]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Boeing threatens to move the new 777X production to another state if we do not vote Yes. It feels like a gun is being held to my head and they're gonna have to pull the trigger because I'm gonna keep standing up for our rights. I will not budge on this.

one of the other carrots they're dangling is they are offering a "golden handshake" to those who would like to retire at age 58 without penalty. that could sway the vote huge in my opinion because there are quite a few people around that age bracket that are ready to retire. I just hope they remember what they fought for during all the strikes through the years.

#868752 - 11/11/13 09:22 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: steeliedrew]
Jet Offline
Parr

There are a lot more people affected than just the machinists if this goes sideways. If the triple 7 goes, the rest of Boeing manufacturing probably follows, and I think Boeing wants it that way. Try to keep that in mind when you vote

#868762 - 11/11/13 09:44 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: ]
Us and Them Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Seattle
Ask the UAW or the steelworkers unions who thought they could fight progress. Go visit Detroit and Pittsburg to see the aftermath.

#868767 - 11/11/13 09:49 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Steelidrew....don't drink all the koolaid the union sells! I believe you are a new Boeing employee if I remember right. If there's a semi long strke you will be one of the first to go when they lay people off. Been there done that. It's all about seniority. imo

- Albert Einstein.

#868769 - 11/11/13 09:56 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: Sol Duc]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

I'm aware of how it all works. I've been there three years now. Just cause I'm new and they'll give me $10,000 is no reason to vote yes. this is a "take it or leave it" kind of deal. feels like communism. just saying.

#868777 - 11/11/13 10:19 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: ]
Big_Daddy
Unregistered

Chuck S for the WIN.....

#868781 - 11/11/13 10:25 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: steeliedrew]
Drew Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Puyallup
This is a hard lesson that I try and relay to a lot of my friends in the trades. They are always bragging about how they got a raise this or 5% that. What they don't see is that the very union that pretends to look out for them is also pricing them out of steady work. That raise is for jackshit when they're sitting home on unenjoyment in the slow months.

Unions tend to serve no one but themselves.

#868785 - 11/11/13 10:32 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: Drew]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Does Boeing have the leverage to force union concessions?
Looks like they just scored billions in state tax breaks.

http://www.bing.com/news/search?q=boeing...k&FORM=EWRE

#868788 - 11/11/13 10:34 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: steeliedrew]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
I'm aware of how it all works. I've been there three years now. Just cause I'm new and they'll give me $10,000 is no reason to vote yes. this is a "take it or leave it" kind of deal. feels like communism. just saying.

Good, some just get sucked into their hyperbole,and come out in the end in the unemployment office.

- Albert Einstein.

#868790 - 11/11/13 10:35 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: Drew]
BGR Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Marysville, WA
I don't blame you for being upset about the contract restructure. There are a lot of take aways. SPEEA supports you guys. Chicago has succeeded in putting you in a tough position.

#868804 - 11/11/13 10:54 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: BGR]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I think Boeing put both the Machinests and Leg into a real hard spot. If either side says "no" then they are free to move. The Leg, by passing the bills, have put the turd in the Union pocket. Well played.

#868815 - 11/11/13 11:14 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: Carcassman]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Hostess workers complained about mangement's unfair cut also. You should search that thread here and read how it played out over time.

The gun to your head is inflation, health care costs and competing markets but it so much easier to paint one guy as a scapegoat- it just isn't fair he makes THAT much... Blah blah blah. North Carolina wouldn't mind taking your job at all and state tax breaks might not be enough on its own to justify staying. The fact is, we ALL would lose if the move production... Your vote and the unions demands affect us all, long term.

There is some responsibility there.

Edited by JTD (11/11/13 11:15 PM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#868831 - 11/11/13 11:36 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: JTD]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

I kinda figured I'd get this reaction posting this. I do not feel like we are selfish for wanting to fight for our hard earned benefits and wanting to fight for the future worker. I would like nothing more than for the 777X to stay in Washington. I've never been in a situation like this before. It's extremely stressful. I really enjoy working there. I want my children and grand children to be able to make a career out of Boeing if they so please but it's hard to want that if it would take them 20 years to max out on a pay scale that it takes us 6 years now to max out on currently!

I think a lot of the anguish is coming from the fact that it's such a take it or leave it proposal. it's supposed to be collective bargaining agreement where hopefully everyone kicks a goal. I want Boeing to continue doing well as I intend to continue my career there. I just truly feel that something has to give with the proposal. This is coming down from a political level too which I believe is different than the normal contract negotiations.

We will see what happens on Wednesday.

#868833 - 11/11/13 11:43 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: steeliedrew]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Also, I should add that the website I posted a link to was not directly created by the union. There are two sides to all this guys. it might be hard to see from the outside looking in?

#868834 - 11/11/13 11:44 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

When I first started working for B..old timers would get pissed off because I was working too fast...they would seriously get bent. For any of you that have never worked for a Union, you would not phugging believe some of the most worthless workers there are...not all of course. I work with this old Asain Man (really salt of the earth) that absolutely does ZERO work. He spends the first hour at the start and the end of the day bringing these trinkets in to surround his work area. He's a pack rat and his van is full to the brim with his treasures, I don't work at the main plants, but a place with about 200 people. Mngmnt does nothing....I could go on and on with stories that would blow your mind. rofl

- Albert Einstein.

#868840 - 11/11/13 11:50 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: Sol Duc]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Where I work, we work very hard. I build 737 stobins. We build 42 737's per month now and rates are going up to 47 737's per month. where I work we do not have time to work slow or milk things.

Solduc,

I agree there are a few here and there that work the system but you'll find that anywhere.

#868841 - 11/11/13 11:51 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: ]
steeliedrew Offline
SRC Poser

Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
You cant have all give .... without some take.

Trains run both ways.

Chuck,

The key word in your statement is "some".

Think about that.

#868848 - 11/11/13 11:55 PM Re: Boeing contract.... [Re: steeliedrew]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: steeliedrew
Where I work, we work very hard. I build 737 stobins. We build 42 737's per month now and rates are going up to 47 737's per month. where I work we do not have time to work slow or milk things.

Solduc,

I agree there are a few here and there that work the system but you'll find that anywhere.

I know the culture is different in Everett....nothing like here.

- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645402 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |