Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#870778 - 11/20/13 05:45 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: The Moderator]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: parker
Why is this wrong or disgusting?

The tribes are allotted a percentage of the fish on the Skokomish and what they chose to do with them is not up to you. How is stripping a chum of it's eggs for resale and putting the carcass back in the system a bad thing? Is that worse than commercially harvesting a chum then having it turned it to cat food, or some other animal food product?

Are these even wild chums, or are they hatchery raised chums?

Rotting fish on the bank will eventually turn in to nutrients for the surrounding river and ecology. Trees will grow, the ground will be fertile and the baby fish will get fed.

If you think there's an over harvest issue, take it up with state and tribal fish managers. They obviously do not think that this is an issue.

Not saying I totally disagree, but there's ways they could go about this and not leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth who drives by and sees it. This kind of visible mess is what gives everyone a bad perception about them. Well, that and the video that one of us had up on FB showing the kid snagging from the side of the road at Purdy Ck, then pounding the fish's head in with a stick and throwing it in the ditch. I guess in a way that is using their 50% and putting nutrients back in the system too.....

#870780 - 11/20/13 05:50 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: fish4brains]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Who's counting this towards their 50% ? I'll go on a limb and say there isn't accountability when it comes to the two instances mentioned.

#870784 - 11/20/13 06:13 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: RB3]
Timber Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Stumpy Acres
Not all of those were hens so apparently the bucks just get discarded dead on the bank...
My guess is not one of these were counted as part of the 50%!

#870785 - 11/20/13 06:18 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Timber]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
In the first decade or so of the Boldt Decision the State tried many times to argue "wise use" to support a NI fishery or to oppose a tribal one. The Courts held that each side determines the wise use of their share.

Many tribes oppose fisheries that "play" with fish (ie sporties) as to them fish are a commodity. The picture at the start of this thread shows a scene many here are opposed to. As Parker said, if it is their share and the fish are accounted for then we have nothing to say.

#870788 - 11/20/13 06:47 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: ]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
Kinda rude any way ya look @ it.Legal or not.Good luck,
SZ

#870791 - 11/20/13 06:54 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: STRIKE ZONE]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Ugly situation.
Hopefully one of the news channels will run with it and bring some public pressure to bear on the fuggers.

#870797 - 11/20/13 07:06 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Direct-Drive]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Salmon are not the cash cow everyone seems to think they are. If Meth was legalized I am positive this BS wouldn't be happening.

#870799 - 11/20/13 07:12 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Salman]
bota2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Allyn
If caught, they will lose all hunting and fishing privileges.

#870801 - 11/20/13 07:20 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: kingdog]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
When I was in High School, skipping class every chance I got to go fish... I got lost on the Skok Rez... saw a pile of stripped, wasted Chums and it made me sick to my stomach. Too bad a mainstream news story on this would be construed as racist, they won't touch it.

#870804 - 11/20/13 07:40 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Sky-Guy]
Mooch Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Kingston, WA
Where nutrient enhancement becomes eutrophication and greed turns to putrefication.
Matt. 8:27   The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

#870820 - 11/20/13 08:39 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: NOFISH]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: NOFISH
I received this pic from a fishing pard a couple of weeks ago....taken Oct. 29th in front of Seabeck...117,000 lbs of chum in 4 sets......wonder how many species of bycatch? It ain't just "them" boyz.

Very little bycatch but a lot of wasted Chum sold for a penny a pound or less.

#870823 - 11/20/13 08:47 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Mooch]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Is there ANY difference between this and Shark Finning? I would submit no - there is not. Waste is waste. I don't care who the user group happens to be. If this was a licensed sportie, they'd get major tickets, fines, seized property and jail time for deliberate waste of game (check your regs). But based off of what I'm reading here, we could argue that its our right as its our 50% share to waste as we see fit. Right? RIGHT???

These fish could have been given to the needy. They could have been smoked up and given to food banks.

[Bleeeeep!]. Our species is doomed - but not after all others first.

#870824 - 11/20/13 08:51 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Mooch]
JPbarbless Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Seattle
Tried to fish the skok yesterday with my son. Blown out so we were not able to fish, walked in to one of the bar areas. roadway was flooded by a foot or so .We saw allot of fish stranded in the shallows thinking they were in the river. We pushed some back into the deeper water. Pretty cool to see their struggle up so close.
Some guy was chasing the fish down the road with a landing net. Did not think this was a native custom. We watched him net quite a few fish, When he noticed us he walked off into the woods. Left the fish in a pile on the side of the road . We left I was worried that they may mess with our car. okbye JP

#870825 - 11/20/13 08:54 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

J..F..C is censored now? Did I miss a memo or something? What is this 1938 Germany? C'mon man!

Self Edit to avoid the ban hammer.

Edited by NickD90 (11/20/13 08:54 PM)

#870827 - 11/20/13 09:07 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Sky-Guy]
teamster Offline
Diamond Cutter

Loc: Seattle
Ryley, I have witnessed this many times, being that we have a place on the canal--I have mixed emotions about it but, reread M Parkers post and think about it.
Makes sense.........................doesn't it?
Chuck

#870830 - 11/20/13 09:10 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: ]
RobertF
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: 2MANY

No wonder chicks from Shelton smell like old fish.

rofl

Stripping eggs off those fish and leaving them to rot is a waste when I am sure much of that wasted fish could be used to feed people . I know certain soup kitchens around my area would accept fresh salmon why not donate some of that? Just my 2 cents.

#870835 - 11/20/13 09:31 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: teamster]
NickD90 Offline

Teamster & Parker - no offense personally for your views - but BS. See Mooch's post. I don't care about the reason or justification - those are just words. Who's share; where they came from (hatchery or not) or where they are supposedly going (nutrients) is moot. Waste is waste in all forms. Tribe, Indian, Sportie - it doesn't matter. Those were living creatures that deserve respect and proper consumption. Period. To suggest otherwise means you also prescribe to shark finning, elephant and rhino, black bear gall bladder and all of the other nasty "partial takes" around the world. Shall I start posting ol' timey pictures of white guys standing on towers of buffalo skulls? 80 lb. Columbian Kings?

The point isn't no take at all, but take responsibly and use every last bit of the animal that you possibly can. If its your Tribal or Cowboy share, great! Just use all of it.

#870842 - 11/20/13 09:41 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: ]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
While visually ugly and wasteful on the surface, from a purely fish management perspective I have to agree with Parker. Figure there are equal attrocities going on out in front of the river fisheries by non tribal fisheries, just not as in your face. River chum have no value as table fare, as many on this board have attested. There is value in the eggs, apparently worth the effort to go after. The excess biomass goes back to the river. So other than a potential loss of recruitment, it is just a big pile of biomass going back to the river after they extract the economic value. Not pretty, but there are many other resource extraction industries that have similar approaches.

Edited by milt roe (11/20/13 09:47 PM)

#870846 - 11/20/13 09:52 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: milt roe]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Normal-timed Hood Canal chum are managed for hatchery production, so no one really cares if there is any loss of natural recruitment.

#870849 - 11/20/13 09:55 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: milt roe]
NickD90 Offline

Disagree. Like I said, waste is waste regardless of where it comes from. Saying that user group #1's waste also means that user group #2's waste is wholly justified leaves everyone blind. Just stop wasting.

That level of biomass in one small area results in putrification and soil contamination. It semi-sterilizes said spot for some time. Naturally spawning (and dying) salmon are spread out throughout the river (in current) balancing the PH, bacteria, micro-organisms and other actors naturally. This immediate area will be nothing but a bacteria and fungal mat for some time. It's is not a natural event and Mother Nature does not accept it as so, regardless of how you feel about it.

Edited by NickD90 (11/20/13 10:21 PM)

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FishTickler, LadyZehe, MADWIZERD
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 542 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13395
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63789 Topics
645469 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |