Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#870931 - 11/21/13 10:29 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Carcassman]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Its because of the damn dam. We put a lot of money into that river for recovery and I'm fairly certain that this trend will continue if any of the other species bolster in number. Hell, even if they don't. I'd bet its going on already. I have a friend that saw them selling Wild Steelhead that of course were brooded by WDFW as part of the Hood Canal Steelhead Enhancement plan. I guess it was for "substenance"

#870938 - 11/21/13 10:53 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: RB3]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
Did anyone pic up the phone and call the tribe's harvest management division?

....or are you all just bitching on the internet like school children.

$.02
I want to be a fisherman.

#870941 - 11/21/13 10:57 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: GodLovesUgly]
GodLovesUgly Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: WaRshington
By the way, it IS against the law. Their law.

REGULATION NUMBER: F#13-77
5) NO CARCASSES MAY BE THROWN BACK IN THE WATER.
ALL CARCASSES MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE BEACH
OR THE WATER.

Skokomish Department of Natural Resources
North 541 Tribal Center Road
Skokomish Nation, WA 98584
Hours:
Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Phone:
(360) 877-5213

Edited by GodLovesUgly (11/21/13 10:59 AM)
I want to be a fisherman.

#870943 - 11/21/13 11:03 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: GodLovesUgly]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Nothing to see here, move along, it's all supposed to be composted.....thus giving back to Mother Earth.

Feel better?

Damn bleeding heart 206'ers anyway rofl

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#870947 - 11/21/13 11:35 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: NOFISH]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Links to the Kitsap Sun are not informative as one needs a subscription to this paper to read the article. Not generally enough interesting information there for me to subscribe.

#870949 - 11/21/13 11:42 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: OncyT]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#870966 - 11/21/13 12:27 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Dogfish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Parker makes an excellent point with regard to treaty and non-treaty fish managers deciding how to use (or waste) their respective shares of the resource. A salient point, IMO, is that if the practice of stripping hatchery chum salmon for their eggs is offensive, realize that you pay for it, and WDFW supports it by operating part of the hatchery system to produce chum salmon. It would be reasonable for WA taxpayers to ask why WDFW spends scarce economic resources when funding is allegedly tight, to produce hatchery chum salmon so that they can be wasted like this.

The situation becomes a bit more complex in the case of the Skokomish, where chinook and coho are produced at the George Adams hatchery (which is partially funded by Tacoma Power as Cushman mitigation), and chum salmon are produced at McKernan. I think McKernan was on the block for closure because of state budget issues, and treaty tribes may have picked up part or all of the tab to continue the chum program at McKernan. If that is the case, then really, we don't have much to complain about except that wasted fish are an eyesore.

Sg

#870990 - 11/21/13 01:32 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: ]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Let's just put everyone's "Outrage" into context here....

The carcasses, whether you think they were properly utilized or not, at least still have an ecological function. Since the vast majority, if not all of these chum were produced in the hatchery (McKernan) which, BTW Salmo G., is funded by the Purse Seine Vessels Association, not by the State, and George Adams doesn't release chum, what's the problem. What, you guys would have caught them all?

So now, let's talk about really impacts the salmon resource:

Dams in the State of WA:

Population:

Great record of land Stewardship:

You're probably right though....It's the Indians "wasting" fish.

Edited by JustBecause (11/21/13 02:08 PM)

#870991 - 11/21/13 01:39 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: JustBecause]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

Dumbest post of the year-

Clearly the fish are there and wasted so your ecological impacts all neatly documented with maps, charts and photos are irrelevant.
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#870994 - 11/21/13 01:48 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: JTD]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Wow JTD, thanks for really considering my point and thinking hard on it.

I know my fancy charts and pics don't tell the entire story, unlike the one photo of fish carcasses, devoid of any context does.

You have convinced me that I am wrong, that my post is "dumb" and that I clearly don't think about these types of things thoroughly enough.

Thanks much!

(douche........)

#870995 - 11/21/13 01:52 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: JustBecause]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

I have been called worse.

moose

Do you see an over abundance of fish in that picture? Isn't that the topic here?

Loss of habitat, water quality and total consumption are pressures on stocks. I am not disagreeing.

Do you think those carcasses should be utilized or is the egg stripping program okay as is?
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#870997 - 11/21/13 01:59 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: JTD]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

"I have been called worse." and by better, I'm sure. grin

Actually, I see absolutely no problem with this......these chum cost less than half a cent to raise, it's not state money, sporties get their shot at the chum, so who cares?

Better than putting them in the land fill or the cat food can, as far as I'm concerned.

#870998 - 11/21/13 02:02 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: JustBecause]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Probably a couple million homeless, hungry Phillipeoners that would have eaten them if they were processed timely

#871005 - 11/21/13 02:29 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: kingdog]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
This is the kind of crap that makes me sick. It’s not a matter of their rights it’s a matter of pure and simple greed and an “I don’t give a sh!t and in your face" attitude. I’ve seen this played out so many times over the last 40 years. There is absolutely no reason why they should have any more rights than us. I watched a program years ago when Joe DeLacruz (sp) was the chief of the Quinault tribe at the time and he bragged about how his ancestors were brave warriors and how they fought other tribes to get that land. Well guess what…our tribe beat your tribe. And did they give the tribes they conquered rights? I think not. Why didn’t the dirt bags give those fish to a charity? Granted they are not the best tasting fish but they look bright and people do eat them. But chums are not the only fish they have raped. I saw on the Quinault reservation a pile of chrome bright steelhead about 50 to 70 lying in the middle of a dirt road…what were they doing there…being used as bear bait! I might mention on that same trip I saw more litter than a garbage dump. The indian with the tear in his eye complaining about litter in that commercial is a of crock sh!t. I would like to respect them but it’s hard. They blame the white man for their alcohol problems using the excuse that they have a gene that predisposes them to alcoholism. Guess what that’s a crock of sh!t too. Recently scientists have proved there is no merit to that. We give them tons of money so they can mismanage it and ask for more. They DO bite the hand that feeds them! We are paying a frickin fortune to get licenses, punch cards, parking permits etc. We get very little for our investment. Take some time and figure out what each salmon and steelhead you caught cost. I’m tired of hearing about their customs. Was it their custom to drink a half rack, smoke a couple of dubbies, put a gill net all of the way across the river, throw their litter and beer cans and other garbage on their land? There are a lot of white people that poach and do the wrong thing. If they get caught they pay the price and they should. But when the Indians poach, waste and so on, they have very little to worry about when it comes to punishment. If they are a nation of their own they should have to get passports to come out of the reservation and in to the United States. If someone wants respect they should act respectful.

#871007 - 11/21/13 02:34 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: gooybob]
JustBecause Offline
Juvenile at Sea

and......that's a rap folks, thanks for coming.

#871010 - 11/21/13 03:12 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: OncyT]
NOFISH Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olalla, WA
Originally Posted By: OncyT
Links to the Kitsap Sun are not informative as one needs a subscription to this paper to read the article. Not generally enough interesting information there for me to subscribe.

The Skokomish Tribe is struggling to manage an unprecedented number of chum salmon that have flooded the market, causing tribal fishers to remove the valuable salmon eggs and dispose of the carcasses, officials say.

The tribe has opened a compost facility to take discarded fish that cannot be sold to fish buyers or be used by food banks, said Dave Herrera, a policy manager for the tribe.

It remains a violation of tribal fishing regulations to dispose of fish on the beach or in the woods, Herrera said, but fishers are allowed to deposit their catch at the tribe’s composting facility.

“If people are leaving carcasses on the beach with no intent to remove them, that is an enforcement issue,” Herrera said, adding that people can report violations to the tribe’s Fisheries Office, 360-877-5213.

Hood Canal is experiencing a record run of fall chum salmon, with as many as 1.4 million fish, most of them coming from hatcheries in southern Hood Canal.

Harvestable numbers of salmon are shared equally between state and tribal fishers, as provided by the landmark Boldt decision. So far, tribal members have caught about 450,000 chum, while nontribal fishers have taken about 650,000, Herrera said.

Conditions in which fish buyers and processors cannot keep up with the number of salmon caught in Hood Canal have not been seen for nearly 10 years, Herrera said.

“We are trying to stay on top of this thing, but nobody expected this kind of return,” he said.

Most of the chum are hatchery fish returning to hatcheries in southern Hood Canal, he said. Wild chum, which generally return later, will receive greater protections as fisheries are progressively shut down in most areas of Hood Canal.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2013/nov/20/excess-chum-salmon-to-become-compost/#ixzz2lJSdURKI
Follow us: @KitsapSun on Twitter | KitsapNews on Facebook

Damn Stam!
Remember, Ask yourself "What would Stam do?" smile

#871018 - 11/21/13 03:23 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: ]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Originally Posted By: gooybob
This is the kind of crap that makes me sick. It’s not a matter of their rights it’s a matter of pure and simple greed and an “I don’t give a sh!t and in your face" attitude. I’ve seen this played out so many times over the last 40 years. There is absolutely no reason why they should have any more rights than us. I watched a program years ago when Joe DeLacruz (sp) was the chief of the Quinault tribe at the time and he bragged about how his ancestors were brave warriors and how they fought other tribes to get that land. Well guess what…our tribe beat your tribe. And did they give the tribes they conquered rights? I think not. Why didn’t the dirt bags give those fish to a charity? Granted they are not the best tasting fish but they look bright and people do eat them. But chums are not the only fish they have raped. I saw on the Quinault reservation a pile of chrome bright steelhead about 50 to 70 lying in the middle of a dirt road…what were they doing there…being used as bear bait! I might mention on that same trip I saw more litter than a garbage dump. The indian with the tear in his eye complaining about litter in that commercial is a of crock sh!t. I would like to respect them but it’s hard. They blame the white man for their alcohol problems using the excuse that they have a gene that predisposes them to alcoholism. Guess what that’s a crock of sh!t too. Recently scientists have proved there is no merit to that. We give them tons of money so they can mismanage it and ask for more. They DO bite the hand that feeds them! We are paying a frickin fortune to get licenses, punch cards, parking permits etc. We get very little for our investment. Take some time and figure out what each salmon and steelhead you caught cost. I’m tired of hearing about their customs. Was it their custom to drink a half rack, smoke a couple of dubbies, put a gill net all of the way across the river, throw their litter and beer cans and other garbage on their land? There are a lot of white people that poach and do the wrong thing. If they get caught they pay the price and they should. But when the Indians poach, waste and so on, they have very little to worry about when it comes to punishment. If they are a nation of their own they should have to get passports to come out of the reservation and in to the United States. If someone wants respect they should act respectful.

This is spot on.
American employers by law are forced to not discriminate against natives but when the white man bids against the natives own tribal contractors he has to be 10% LOWER THAN THE TRIBAL CONTRACTOR to get the job!!

NUTS AND BOLDTS......NUTS AND BOLDTS........WE GOT SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You forgot the part where the lowest-bid Tribal Contractor gets the chance to match the winning non-tribal bid and take the job if they want it.

#871026 - 11/21/13 05:58 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Rocket Red]
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

If they cant keep up with the numbers of fish, then stop fishing!

#871029 - 11/21/13 06:50 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: FishDoctor]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: FishDoctor
If they cant keep up with the numbers of fish, then stop fishing!

Ah, but they can keep up with the skeins of eggs, for which there is a market. Just not the carcasses.

#871035 - 11/21/13 07:46 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Salmo g.]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The fishermen, whether tribal or non-tribal and the managers are just reflecting the traditional American values of mazimizing profit while minimizing investment.

Look how well Wall Street and the Bankers made money with no thought for the impact. Fish folk are just following their lead. Isn't that the American Dream?

To manage the fish for the future, for the ecosystem, would require forgoing profit today for an uncertain future.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Krijack), 1218 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |