Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#871075 - 11/21/13 10:43 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: milt roe]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Don't be confused however by the real thing in which said fish actually spawn and have ten times as many fish show up ten years down the road.

#871076 - 11/21/13 10:48 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Salman]
_Nate_
Unregistered

yes there is, but not on a scale like this... its an organic source, not a chemical source, so over fertilization would be impossible...

and it does fertilize the enitre river, on a small scale... everything goes up and sh!ts that fish crap out, then here in Wa we have this thing called rain, and it rains on hilltops where everything just sh!t on, and that washes down cuz theres another thing called gravity wink ... not all of it washes down obviously, because its consumed by every organism in the soil, BUT, some does...

leaving the fish on the bank like that im afraid to say, is far better nutrient dispersion wise than letting birds and such eat it, or putting it into a compost pile....

but im still not for it, or feel good when i see it....

#871077 - 11/21/13 10:51 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: RB3]
YB3
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: RBD
Originally Posted By: _Nate_
seagulls and other birds eat the fish, fly up into the woods, and sh!t, and when they do, the nutrients from the fish (NPK in fertilizer speak Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus) get dispersed into the soil and end up as nutrients for plants...

same thing with bears, raccoons, opossums, and any other animal that eats them, then sh!ts in the woods...

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Gallectica

I just made a little jingle about those three very important things for a coworker yesterday. Strange. Solid reference by the way.

Michael!!!!!!!!!!!

#871083 - 11/22/13 12:35 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: ]
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Renton, WA
Why do I feel like I'm sitting in an eighth grade biology class in Chimacum? Just sayin'.... carry on.

#871084 - 11/22/13 12:57 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Audball]
cruzn99 Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Audball
Why do I feel like I'm sitting in an eighth grade biology class in Chimacum? Just sayin'.... carry on.

maybe cause it was the highest grade you completed?

everhook

#871086 - 11/22/13 01:18 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: cruzn99]
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

Yeah, that must be it.

#871087 - 11/22/13 01:23 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Audball]
YB3
Unregistered

Because you are watching the WWF on TV and it reminded you of the strong feelings you had for Bill Nye the science guy as a blossoming young boy?

#871089 - 11/22/13 01:49 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: ]
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

No wait, yeah..THAT must be it.

#871090 - 11/22/13 02:25 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Audball]
YB3
Unregistered

smile Notice how Audball handled that, Nate?

Edited by YB3 (11/22/13 02:26 AM)

#871093 - 11/22/13 04:02 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Audball]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone

are you implying you have your grade 8 ?

/

#871094 - 11/22/13 08:22 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Brewer]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
I really like the "I don't believe it so it can't be true" style of thinking.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/f06-029?journalCode=cjfas#.Uo9aY9qA21s

Some big words in this article.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#871098 - 11/22/13 10:52 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Brewer]
Audball Offline
Returning Adult

Originally posted by: Brewer
are you implying you have your grade 8 ?

I would never imply such a thing. Boasting of one's scholastic achievements is unnecessary and of poor form. I was simply making an observation. Good question though, Skippy.

Edited by Audball (11/22/13 01:57 PM)

#871106 - 11/22/13 11:35 AM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: ]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: _Nate_
if you cant tell if a fish is a male or female, without cutting it open, you are and idiot and shouldnt be allowed to fish... ever...

Wrong. Talkin out your arse again.

I have worked and helped sort fish in hatcheries and even the seasoned gurus of 30+ years can be confused. Sex is obvious in some fish and not so much in others.

You do realize that you have way less of a diverse life experience than everyone here and you come up with stuff based on your limited experience? Time to enter the real world.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#871120 - 11/22/13 12:33 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Dave Vedder]
tshawytscha Offline
Egg

Typical, somebody posts a picture, adds some conjecture, and everybody piles on adding their lack of knowledge to the mix.

I wonder if there's a "rest of the story", or if this picture really is the story....

http://nwifc.org/2005/05/skokomish-fishermen-net-award-for-hood-canal-chum-carcass-project/

#871147 - 11/22/13 01:30 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: tshawytscha]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: tshawytscha
Typical, somebody posts a picture, adds some conjecture, and everybody piles on adding their lack of knowledge to the mix.

I wonder if there's a "rest of the story", or if this picture really is the story....

http://nwifc.org/2005/05/skokomish-fishermen-net-award-for-hood-canal-chum-carcass-project/

Interesting article in their own publication; especially the part about how a glut of farm raised Atlantic salmon has depressed salmon prices therefore justifying the switch to eggs as a saleable product. Is that somehow intended to justify what the picture has now captured?

Now, if the Tribe and/or the NWIFC wants to set the record straight (thereby avoiding all of the unsubstantiated conjecture) they could/should (or already should have) be issuing an explanatory news release as to what their accepted practice is, how the picture represents a violation of that practice/Tribal regulation, and what is being done to punish the perps to include a later after action summary - chances of that are zip/zero as we know.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#871166 - 11/22/13 03:12 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: tshawytscha]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
Originally Posted By: tshawytscha

notice the date on the report.

May 17th, 2005

#871176 - 11/22/13 03:41 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: Larry B]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

It's been interesting (and in many ways frustrating) to see the developments that have occurred in what has been a record year of salmon returns in many basins around the state. Taken at face value, the images presented in this thread instill a sense of anger in anyone who has been concerned about the overall trend of declining stocks over the past several decades. Without question, such mass wasting is a nauseating sight to any sport fisherman whose opportunity to catch salmon has been severely limited by commercial fisheries through the years.

In reality, what we are seeing is likely the gruesome result of the same policies the Tribe has been applying to their fisheries for years being applied in a year of abnormally large returns.

I absolutely agree that this is a shameful, wasteful practice, but as has been said, the economics are sound, and the ecological benefit will likely be substantial (assuming we do get a high water event before too much decay occurs in the current location). From a fisheries management perspective, this scenario, sickening as it is to a sportsman, is probably viewed as a win-win.

Is anybody else concerned that this year's anomaly will lead to increased commercial effort that may or may not be sustainable in the next few years?

#871178 - 11/22/13 03:49 PM Re: Welcome to the Skokomish... [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
What is really interesting is how the state and tribes will describe the amount of carcasses. Research has shown that up to 2 kilogrammes of carcass per square metre of stream (as measured at summer low flow) is the point at which the direct benefits to rearing juvenile salmon has a inflection from a steeply rising line to a flatter one. Represents a good target.

So, if it their position that the amount of carcasses provides an ecological benefit then why not let actual fish go upstream, spawn, and then provide the carcasses. Seems to me that it will be hard to say that what is seen in the picture is ecologically beneficial but allowing 1% of that number as the optimum number of spawners would seem to be a disconnect.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Swifty27
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (wolverine), 1173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63781 Topics
645406 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |