Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#893389 - 04/28/14 06:55 PM Re: I Support it [Re: 5 * General Evo]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: Evo
we have already closed down rivers to try to help wild Steelhead, and on each one, they are worse off than they were before closing, with the exception of the Nisqually, but i dont know much about that system, only from what ive heard from the older folks... so it may not be an exception at all, just covering my ass on that one..

the Cedar, used to house 30 pound fish, its now WAY worse than it was when it closed, i think they saw like 2-10 redds last year...

the Puyallup used to be the number 2 river in the state for winter runs, they get about 550-600 fish back as of last count, and that goes up, and down, each year.. it also hasnt had plants since 2008, and closes on Dec 31, well before the large nates come in April...

killing off hatchery plants will do nothing, its already been proven... killing off fishing opportunities and closing rivers will do nothing, its already been proven... lowering limits, will do nothing, its already been proven...

you know the whole saying, when things need to get done you need to "grab the bull by the horns"? well, in this case, they are grabbing the bull by the tail, and are gonna get kicked for doing so...

Personally I think they made the right decision to stop stocking the Puyallup. I hate saying that because that is my home river. I caught my first steelhead there in 1968 and had many great days on it my friends.
The hatchery returns were beyond pathetic, especially the last 10 years or so. Sure the river was open later in the season, but what good is angling opportunity without fish?
I see lots of folks post that more fish need to be planted. That may work on some systems but it doesn't guarantee more fish will return.
If they planted four times as many fish on the Puyallup and got back 36 fish or so instead of 9, would anglers be happy?

I wish I had the answers to all that ails PS steelhead, but I don't. It is a damn shame it has come to this.
SF

Edited by stonefish (04/28/14 10:39 PM)

#893391 - 04/28/14 06:58 PM Re: I Support it [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
A wild broodstock program will kill far more wild steelhead than a catch and release fishery would...and closing a catch and release fishery wouldn't do anything to help the stock, either.

Of all the things in Puget Sound that have bad effects on wild steelhead the thing that is amongst those that have the least effect are hatchery fish, and hatchery programs as they are now are being closed will also have the least beneficial effect of all the things we can do to help wild steelhead.

I'd wager that WDFW/NOAA-F will get their collective schit together and the permits will be forthcoming, and the programs will continue on just as they have the last several years.

I'd also wager that you will see at least one CnR season on a Puget Sound stream by the spring of 2016...if it's not held the spring of 2015 first wink

I find that the oft-used accusation by many that WDFW's steelhead "management" is just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic are vociferously supporting a course of action that does exactly the same thing.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#893395 - 04/28/14 09:09 PM Re: I Support it [Re: Todd]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

That'l be fun.....a combat C&R season.........

Just kidding. Hope it happens.

#893398 - 04/28/14 10:03 PM Re: I Support it [Re: Keta]
Salman Offline
Spawner

C&R sucks! Get real the damn fish don't need to be abused for the sake of 20,000 STS fans! Wild fish aren't making the comeback everyone wanted or anticipated because it got f'd up over many years. Just because mother nature doesn't want to award your dumb @ss doesn't mean you should be able to just throw 55 million to the pound smolts out there so your tackle shop can get cleaned out every day!

#893410 - 04/29/14 12:10 AM Re: I Support it [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA

#893416 - 04/29/14 01:04 AM Re: I Support it [Re: NickD90]
Daniel Offline
Smolt

Kill the predators, improve habitat, then worry about hatchery fish. It's really really really really really simple.

#893422 - 04/29/14 01:35 AM Re: I Support it [Re: Daniel]
NickD90 Offline

It's probably harder to kill the predators because of the Greenie blow back than it is to fight this fight. As much as some want it, they ain't gonna let whole sale Pinniped slaughter happen. EVER. Commorants? Hell, lets grab a box of shells!

Edited by NickD90 (04/29/14 01:36 AM)

#893424 - 04/29/14 01:46 AM Re: I Support it [Re: ]
TastySalmon Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Samish
Originally Posted By: Chuck S.
The state is not above the law. If a permit is required, get the stupid permit and move on. The so called threat from the state not to dump fish because they choose not to be compliant is a bigger joke than any lawsuit.

Originally Posted By: Todd
I'd wager that WDFW/NOAA-F will get their collective schit together and the permits will be forthcoming, and the programs will continue on just as they have the last several years.

Todd

I agree and with pressure comes results.

In the end the injunction had nothing to do with DFW being in compliance. The state did what was requested in the same manner every hatchery program in the PNW has done.

Keep in mind there will still be a hatchery steelhead program operating under the same, but revised, HGMP which has not been approved by NOAA and has not been issued NEPA coverage.

Are you aware how many hatchery programs in Washington, Oregon and Idaho are fully covered? How about separate permits require for fishing over listed stocks? The options are either do what is requested while managing in a responsible and defensible manner and continue operation (or fishing); or, voluntarily cancel all hatchery programs because the feds don't have the ability to do what is required to protect the states and tribes.

#893429 - 04/29/14 08:22 AM Re: I Support it [Re: TastySalmon]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
As far as CNR over wild stocks there is a large difference between a stock healthy enough to have a harvest season and a stock that is healthy enough to have a CNR season.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#893430 - 04/29/14 09:36 AM Re: I Support it [Re: Jerry Garcia]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

So if it is deemed that there is enough wild steelhead to catch and keep like on the OP then that should meet your criteria of strong enough to have a harvest season?

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#893460 - 04/29/14 02:13 PM Re: I Support it [Re: Salman]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salman
C&R sucks! Get real the damn fish don't need to be abused for the sake of 20,000 STS fans! Wild fish aren't making the comeback everyone wanted or anticipated because it got f'd up over many years. Just because mother nature doesn't want to award your dumb @ss doesn't mean you should be able to just throw 55 million to the pound smolts out there so your tackle shop can get cleaned out every day!

Was that post directed at me or just had my name in the RE order?

#893468 - 04/29/14 03:05 PM Re: I Support it [Re: Lucky Louie]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie
So if it is deemed that there is enough wild steelhead to catch and keep like on the OP then that should meet your criteria of strong enough to have a harvest season?

The state has deemed that there are enough wild steelhead on some OP rivers for a harvest. I myself would like to see the returning numbers higher before harvest.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#893481 - 04/29/14 05:07 PM Re: I Support it [Re: TastySalmon]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: TastySalmon

In the end the injunction had nothing to do with DFW being in compliance.

What injunction are you talking about? The consent decree? That has everything to do with the WDFW *not* being in compliance, and being called to account.

#893485 - 04/29/14 05:55 PM Re: I Support it [Re: MPM]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
A C&R fishery offers significantly more time on the water (opportunity) than a catch and kill. If a run can sustain 100 fish killed that is equal to 100 killed (duh) for 2,000 C&R'd at 5% release mortality. For better or for worse, recreational fishery managers rate a fishery based on opportunity, the chance to be on the water fishing and the C&R fishery maximizes the number of days folks can be fishing.

I remember back in the early 80s when it was necessary to close the blackmouth fishery in PS because of allocation imbalances. What was interesting is that fishing wasn't closed. Salmon fishing was open (coho kill, blackmouth C&R) but folks treated it like a closure. Despite waht anglers say when interviewed (I fish to be on the water, outdoors, with my buddies) there are a lot who go fishing to kill something and if they can't kill it they won't go. This mindset needs to be clearly pointed out to managers, who still think more in terms of time on the water than fish in the boat.

#893494 - 04/29/14 07:14 PM Re: I Support it [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline

Until I moved to Washington state, everything outside of stocker lakes was CnR in Colorado. I killed and ate maybe 1 outta every 100 fish caught and that was always while back-packing into under-pressured lakes and streams (less food to carry). CnR was never a problem for the general population because "a fish is too valuable of a resource to catch only once" or something like that and everyone understood its a finite resource.

Only until I moved to Washington, did I learn that "whack and stack" was a birth right competition as to who was the manliest man of the day. This is part of the reason why the fly crowds often "look down upon" gear fisherman out here. Now the situation is different out here with ocean going fish; fish that die during spawning; Commericals and Tribes all vying for sellable harvest. Colorado does not face the same gauntlet, so CnR and the mindset that follows easier to accomplish there. Fair is fair. I have been guilty of the same "whack and stack" thinking since moving here and to tell you the truth, it was learned behavior for at least me. I was shocked when the "Priests" came out at first, but then when in Rome. Now after 8 years here, I place value on what I can bring home when I never did before. This has to change...for us all.

However, back to my point about "a fish is too valuable of a resource to catch only once", that thinking has yet to fully ingrain itself in Washington. There's still too much pride and ego / sense of worth to come home empty handed. As an outsider to the state, ya'll need to stop placing so much value on your manliness by how many fish you kill. I need to as well. Very few Sporties are in the financial situation that they must kill fish to eat (those folks are the exception and should be allowed to harvest via tax return status). For the rest of us, its our "Washington Ego" that's getting in the way. Sorry, I just call it like I see it. Flame away Gents - I have nukes waiting for you but at least I'm honest.

Edited by NickD90 (04/29/14 09:54 PM)

#893497 - 04/29/14 07:22 PM Re: I Support it [Re: NickD90]
TastySalmon Offline
Smolt

Loc: Lake Samish
Originally Posted By: NickD90
Until I moved to Washington state, everything outside of stocker lakes was CnR in Colorado. I killed and ate maybe 1 outta every 100 fish caught and that was always while back-packing into under-pressured lakes and streams (less food to carry). CnR was never a problem for the general population because "a fish is too valuable of a resource to catch only once" or something like that and everyone understood its a finite resource.

Only until I moved to Washington, did I learn that "whack and stack" was a birth right competition as to who was the manliest man of the day. This is part of the reason why the fly crowds often "look down upon" gear fisherman out here. Now the situation is different out here with ocean going fish; fish that die during spawning; Commericals and Tribes all vying for sellable harvest. Colorado does not face the same gauntlet, so CnR and the mindset that follows easier to accomplish there. Fair is fair. I have been guilty of the same "whack and stack" thinking since moving here and to tell you the truth, it was learned behavior for at least me. I was shocked when the "Priests" came out at first, but then when in Rome. Now after 8 years here, I place value on what I can bring home when I never did before. This has to change...for us all.

However, back to my point about "a fish is too valuable of a resource to catch only once", that thinking has yet to fully ingrain itself in Washington. There's still too much pride and ego / sense of worth to come home empty handed. As an outsider to the state, ya'll need to stop placing so much value on your manliness by how many fish you kill. I need to as well. Very few Sporties are in the financial situation that they must kill fish to eat (those folks are the exception and should be allowed to harvest via tax return status). For the rest of us, its our "Washington Ego" that's getting in the way. Sorry, I just call it like I see it. Flame away Gents - I have nukes waiting for you but at least I'm honest.

Another transplant telling locals how to live their lives...

#893501 - 04/29/14 07:30 PM Re: I Support it [Re: TastySalmon]
NickD90 Offline

Nope. You do want you want to and live your life how you want to live it bruddah. I know I can do better myself and that I'm only in control of myself and can only ask that others join in. That call is on you. Just don't ever be surprised when there are negative outcomes and consequences to any action. Just don't ever be surprised when repeated actions don't provide different results. Its called "reaping what you sow". I call it like I see it. If that upsets you or anyone else, its on you for helping it get to this point...not on me for pointing it out. The message is harsh, but I'm still just the messenger. Deal with it or don't. I don't care.

Edited by NickD90 (04/29/14 07:39 PM)

#893506 - 04/29/14 08:22 PM Re: I Support it [Re: NickD90]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Nick,

Outsider or not, when it comes to trout and steelhead (and steelhead are trout), you get it. The numbers of naturally produced fish are too few to support traditional catch and kill fisheries since about 1968 (when WA human population was about 2.8 million). The reason is too damn many people and too damn much habitat degradation resulting from too damn many people. Worse yet, most PS rivers can no longer produce enough wild steelhead to even support CNR fishing, although a handful might if marine survival increases enough. Anybody who thinks the outcome has to include wild steelhead kill fishing or none at all is just setting themselves up for disappointment. Or maybe they're just at the end of an evolutionary change, incapable of adapting to changing conditions.

Under current conditions I can't think of any hatchery steelhead program in PS that makes sense, biologically or economically. When you cannot even get enough hatchery adults back to the rack to meet broodstock needs, it's not possible to call the program viable. And most PS hatchery winter run programs are hovering around that value lately. Just to make sure I'm not being misunderstood, I'm not opposed to hatchery steelhead programs. I just want to support programs that achieve acceptable biological and economic results.

Meanwhile, I'm going to focus my efforts on perfecting bull trout streamer flies. They will probably look like chinook and steelhead smolts.

Sg

#893511 - 04/29/14 08:39 PM Re: I Support it [Re: Todd]
Bob Offline

Dazed and Confused

Loc: Forks, WA & Soldotna, AK
Originally Posted By: Todd
A wild broodstock program will kill far more wild steelhead than a catch and release fishery would..

Todd

Just an FYI Todd, ALL fish that utilized in the Bogachiel program's first year were live spawned and returned to the river ... with ZERO mortality of those we got to the holding facility.

"You CANNOT fix stupid!"

#893513 - 04/29/14 09:12 PM Re: I Support it [Re: Bob]
NickD90 Offline

Thanks Salmo. I'm trying my best to understand, learn and be as respectful as I can be. I believe I have some of it understood in basic theory, but it’s awfully daunting for a new fella to pick up. Broodstock - what's that? Impacts - what are those? Escapements huh? Fishing politics – really? These are things I've never had to consider before in my previous life. I just went fishing and put more back than I took. It was simple then and it’s easy for me to come on here now and say that’s its simple. It’s simple right?

Then I get out here and it’s like...whoa!...I know nothing! I still think I know nothing except the part of "putting back more than you take". Doc tells me that all hatchery fish must die…so dag gummit they’re gonna get the wood if it’s the right thing to do. I'm trying to be a good, conscience new neighbor and I understand that I will never be considered a local (just like I'd never consider a Californian to be a local back in CO). I hope that the few board experts I’ve have had the pleasure of fishing with will tell you that I’m trying to be respectful of not only the resource, but of their knowledge, friendship and willingness to take in a newbie. It’s appreciated far more than I can ever repay or show. We are all transplants in some form or another aren't we? I just want to be a good neighbor; respect those that have come before me and to do the right thing. BUT, I still don't know what that right thing is in this situation? I want to be able to kill a brat for the table and I want to be able to release a wild fish. I just want to fish as do most here. But If that means getting off your rivers, then so be it and I just won’t fish here. That’s not sour grapes – that’s respect for the local's “waves” man. I don't want to, but I would. I'll just save up and go wet my line elsewhere like Todd, Sky-Guy, Stam, Vedder, BU and Fastwater style. Fastwater style particularly (that man IS the plan). So to TastySalmon's point I probably shouldn't lecture huh?

That being said, can a brother get a crib sheet on this chit? I didn’t know I had to go back to fishing school, but I will if it’s the right thing to do to be a better sportsman and ambassador to our sport. crazy

Edited by NickD90 (04/29/14 10:09 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
FISH'N BRASS, jomat, Rollo, Venga, Warlock49766
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 193 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645447 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |