THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#893868 - 05/03/14 08:46 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: RowVsWade]
Moravec Offline

Loc: Snoqualmie WA/Cordova AK
Probably caught the fishing line in the prop... happens to me all the time smile

#893871 - 05/03/14 09:18 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: Moravec]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Porpoise or orca wouldn't stay down that long over some of the extended fights referenced.

Fought a halibut for 2+ hours in admiralty inlet when I was a kid - finally got it close enough to see it was a halibut as big as our 16' boat (width) and cut it off. But that was on heavy salmon trolling gear.

#893872 - 05/03/14 09:18 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: The Moderator]
teamster Offline
Diamond Cutter

Loc: Seattle
One of Sea Strikes internet sweat hogs............ya think?

#893879 - 05/03/14 11:57 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: The Moderator]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Originally Posted By: parker
This is what happens when you make pot legal.

Correlation is not causation. grin

#893882 - 05/04/14 01:19 AM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: NickD90]
cruzn99 Offline
Returning Adult

salmon sharks in the puget sound? don't you need salmon?

everhook

#893892 - 05/04/14 12:11 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: cruzn99]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Late 80's or early 90's we hooked something on a Point Wilson Dart off Possession. We followed it from there to PNP, half way back and back toward the green can. Had it on for over an hour but it didn't really swim that fast. Maybe 10 kts was the fastest I had to chase it. Would get close to the surface maybe 30-40' down before sounding and heading off another direction. We were jigging 100 fow or so.

I was a bit pissed at my brother because he got tired of playing it and broke off before I could stop him. Was thinking maybe a huge halibut but swam a bit faster than a hali.

To this day, I wish I could have seen it. Felt like head shakes rather than the big, slow throb of a foul hooked fish. Or so I thought.

#893898 - 05/04/14 01:18 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: wntrrn]
GPS Offline
Parr

Imagine a really large specimen of one of our known species, hooked in the tail. Thinking six-gill, other shark, even skate or large 'but. An average sized halibut is pretty tough when foul hooked.

#893911 - 05/04/14 06:01 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: GPS]
mreyns_tgl Offline
Random VaJJ Stalker

Loc: Port Angeles
Castaway Chris can tell ya what it's like to have a 200lb skate snagged in the tail. His story sounds similar

#893912 - 05/04/14 06:05 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: mreyns_tgl]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
I would vote big foul hooked halibut or skate. Both can "gallop" at high speed for long distances, if foul hooked. I have landed 200 lb halibut that were easier to land than 125 pounder foul hooked.

Edited by Dave Vedder (05/04/14 06:07 PM)

#893948 - 05/05/14 12:29 AM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: GPS]
Fishinnut Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe, Washington
It definitely is not a mammal as it never comes up for air. It is big and cruises. I think I have a picture somewhere of an aluminum boat running after it. It came past us and later came by going the other way. These are long runs and not slow. I know of about 4 times minimum that guys have hooked into it. Spud was killing himself trying to figure out how to land it or atleast get to see it. Big skates dont dive back down like halibut do.

It is in rock piles when hooked. My guess is a six gill as it has so much power. A fouled hooked fish is not really possible as its hooked in the same area every year or two. It takes them for a very long run. I think its the same behemoth every time.

Every angler that hooks it is changed forever trying to figure out how to land it and what it is. I dont feel that anyone that hooks it ever has any control of it. They are not working it up to the surface but it stays down and takes off.

What I have for a screenshot, was very very big.. First time I have ever heard it mentioned since I saw it on my screen.

If it was a sturgeon hooked in the mouth it would eventually come up. This doesn't.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.

#893958 - 05/05/14 07:21 AM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: Fishinnut]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
Another "vote" for a large six-gill shark.

Decades ago while salmon fishing I hooked what turned out to be a small (6 /12 foot) six gill shark of the "windmill hole" - west end of Mutiny Bay and got it to the boat at Double bluff. Took an hour to get it to the surface and 4 mile chase.

Consider that the above fish was a small six-gill. The maximum size for the species is thought to be 15 feet with a potential weight of more than 2/3 of a ton. I would think such a fish would be more than a match for any tackle commonly used in Puget Sound fisheries; especially considering it would likely be hooked in or near deep water.

Curt

#893964 - 05/05/14 10:42 AM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: wntrrn]
Hawke Offline
Fry

the late 60's I was a with my Dad and Uncle mooching for Kings off PNP. My uncle tied into something big that pulled us for a bit and then broke the line. He was pissed, he grabbed his bottom fishing rod, and put on a steel leader. He hooked back up to this monster and it started dragging us around the tip of PNP and heading west to the straits. For years and years later my Dad and uncle would speculate whether it was a large skate, a submarine from the base, etc.

This monster mystery fish has been around at least 40+ years. Maybe it's the west cost Nessie?

#893966 - 05/05/14 11:59 AM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: Hawke]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
I'm going this route full speed.

Caddy, the Survivor From The Depths

Long before the arrival of Europeans on the Pacific coasts, enormous sea serpents existed in Native folklore. Rock engravings, or petroglyphs, found in many sites show this to be true.

The Cadborosaurus owes its name to Cadboro Bay, south of Vancouver Island, where there had been many sightings in the 1930’s. On October 5th, 1933, the Victoria Daily Times front page featured an observation of the Cadborosaurus. The tale of this mythical marine monster traveled around the world and became Caddy to its fans.

#893972 - 05/05/14 12:46 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: ondarvr]
Hawke Offline
Fry

I like the Caddy theory, but never heard of it before.

There were 4 of us in the 1960's era wooden boat with twin 35hp Johnson on the back. I think the boat was 18ft. Whatever my Uncle hooked was towing us around PNP and up Admiralty Inlet when Dad and my uncle decided to cut the line. I think my uncle could have reeled in a shark, and it might have had more action than just towing us. They really thought it was a large skate or a submarine.

#893995 - 05/05/14 04:35 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: Hawke]
No More Ice Fishin Offline
Returning Adult

Great thread. My kid just turned two. He recently has become obsessed with fish. Every time we walk on a dock now, he peers into the water and says fish...he keeps looking, and every now and then he'll spot one.

I just realized the mystery still drives most of us. What's down there? What could it be? How big? What type? How could I see it? How could I get it to bite?

Maybe two types of people in the world. Those who wonder what's under the surface and those who don't.

#893996 - 05/05/14 04:37 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: No More Ice Fishin]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
This is a job for River Monsters. I'm sure he can branch out to saltwater.

#893998 - 05/05/14 04:43 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: GPS]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
maybe a Six Gill? this is certainly a big one here and I could see how it could take you for a ride, but for the times described? Up to 1.5 to 2 hours? One would think you could get this fish up to the surface eventually:

However, I want to think it's something unknown to Man.... a prehistoric beast that cant be caught grin

#894001 - 05/05/14 04:52 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: Sky-Guy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

here is a story about an Irish fisherman who caught a massive sixgill, in 35 minutes: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthne...in-Ireland.html

Im not convinced yet.

#894010 - 05/05/14 05:33 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: Sky-Guy]
Jermz Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Everott

#894023 - 05/05/14 06:48 PM Re: Puget Sound mystery monster fish [Re: Jermz]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Did a bit of reading today and apparently Six Gills are slow swimmers, I dont think they are our mystery monster fish...as the fish described can swim very fast, for a long period of time.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 1302 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645376 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |