THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#895306 - 05/15/14 10:41 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: Eric]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The original US/Canada treaty in late 80s specifically said that the benefits of increasing escapement, restoring habitat, and such were to accrue to the area of origin in order to encourage improving fish abundance.

#895307 - 05/15/14 10:42 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: Eric]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

"Begs the question if we should just stop those activities if there's no return on the investment."

Someday that question is going to be asked and answered by people in a position to make the decision.

#895311 - 05/15/14 10:50 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: Salmo g.]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
I can only hope that when that time comes to pass, that the arbiters of the decision realize the gravity of the situation.

Oh, I suppose that is highly unlikely.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#895347 - 05/16/14 11:01 AM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: eyeFISH]
willametteriveroutlaw Offline
Spawner

Loc: Idaho
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

Missed that one, did notice that freespool was still a fukkin tool in 2011 though..

#895350 - 05/16/14 11:25 AM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: blackmouth]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

One of the things I was trying to suggest in my post was that I don't think the LOCAL return on investment is important to WDFW or any Washington politician. If it were, one has to think they would have stopped investing in these programs a long time ago. My suspicion is that the decisions to go ahead with these projects are made at a higher pay grade than Phil Anderson's, by people who profit from "campaign contributions" made to maintain the status quo.

Bear in mind that many of the commercial fishers in Alaska are from Washington....

The only explanation my corruption-minded brain can muster when I see injustice supported by government entities is that the unjust are out-spending the just. I suppose it's only Capitalism doing what it does when practiced to extremes, but it doesn't make it any easier for me to stomach.

On the other hand, I like the idea of terminal fisheries, but I propose a new way of running hatcheries to support said fisheries (as long as we're discussing pipe dreams). Instead of planting hatchery fish in rivers with reasonably stable wild stocks, find isolated locations (near saltwater) where there are no meaningful wild runs and locate hatcheries there. Operate them at the expense of the commercial processors who will profit from them, and allow them to terminally harvest everything that returns (minus the egg take for the next generation, of course). In other words, turn the fishermen into farmers. Meanwhile, operate a few State-owned hatcheries in places where wild runs need a little "supplementation," and limit the fisheries in such areas (also terminal) to Tribes and sporties. "Terminal," in such a scenario, would allow for fishing in areas immediately surrounding estuaries, to give Tribal gillnetters and sporties with seaworthy boats a reasonable shot at fish in the salt.

Are there problems with this idea? Sure, but I doubt the sum of those issues would be as large as that associated with the status quo (with regard to equity, fairness, and other horse$hit nobody that matters cares about).

Happy Friday, all you dreamers.

#895365 - 05/16/14 01:54 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: FleaFlickr02]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

That was called Ocean Ranching and was tried in the 70s/early 80s. Kinda being done in AK by the enhancement groups there. Among the many problems is that the fish are not "your" property. I am sure that BC and AK would not respect a "Those are my Chinook" argument from an Ocean Rancher any more than they accept it from CA, OR, WA, and ID.

If I can catch it, it's mine.

#895372 - 05/16/14 03:32 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

I believe this bears additional emphasis…

Quote:
The all-gear Chinook salmon quota is allocated among commercial and sport fisheries according to management plans established in regulation by the Alaska Board of Fisheries [5 AAC 29.060(b) and 47. 055]. Most Chinook salmon produced from Alaska hatcheries are not factored into the AI and may be harvested in addition to the treaty limit.

So based on the ginormous run-size forecasts fueled largely by the 1.6 million kings of CR origin, Alaska is set to increase their take on PNW stocks by a factor of 250%. And that's over and above the exploitation their local stocks.

I don't have data as to what the Canadians have in mind, but I'm sure they're planning on ramping up their exploitation rates on this forecasted MEGA run in similar fashion.

I guess we're all guilty of licking our chops at the prospect of a MAJOR windfall of kings, me included. Everyone mentally has these fish all but caught, processed, and served before a single one has returned home. Counting our chickens before they're hatched? Ryan may well be right. By the time AK/BC have unleashed their full fishing power on these critters, who knows how many will actually make it back to Astoria.

I think I like it better when they screw up and lowball the forecast. Everyone goes in with more modest expectations, only to be pleasantly surprised by the sheer abundance of the actual return. YEE HAW!

When they forecast BIG, expectations are unrealistically inflated, the meat-market whack/stack juices get flowing… only to set us up for a major letdown when the fish fail to materialize as predicted.

Maybe everyone should just cancel their Buoy 10 reservations NOW to avoid certain disappointment? wink

One thing we can all agree on, gettin' low-holed sucks.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#895375 - 05/16/14 04:04 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: eyeFISH]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

Wouldn't this ramped-up exploitation put additional harvest pressure on ESA listed fish? I'm sure there is tag data in existence that could be used to calculate the affect.

Anyone know?

#895377 - 05/16/14 04:21 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: Salmo g.]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
"Begs the question if we should just stop those activities if there's no return on the investment."

Someday that question is going to be asked and answered by people in a position to make the decision.

It seems to me stopping investing in higher returns is attacking the problem from the wrong end. The more logical solution ,which I know is very difficult if not imposable for the people in positions of power to grasp, is to regulate the catch of the endangered and expensive to recover fish by freeloading distant fisheries. Even as cynical and PO'ed about the state of our salmon as I have become over the years, I'm not ready to call it quits on recovery because of short sighted fishing regulations that are one of the easiest......ummm.....or should be the one of easiest pieces of the recovery picture to change.

#895378 - 05/16/14 04:29 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: wsu]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: wsu
Wouldn't this ramped-up exploitation put additional harvest pressure on ESA listed fish? I'm sure there is tag data in existence that could be used to calculate the affect.

Anyone know?

I bet a google search would turn up some interesting info. I would do it but can't right now,maybe latter. I'm sure there has been studies documenting ESA fish and I think the rational is the numbers are not high enough in the Alaskan and Canadin fisheries to justify restrictions.

#895397 - 05/16/14 06:54 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: Keta]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

And yet, the ESA fish end up dead and dead fish don't spawn. It is an argument against conservation that has been around as long as I have been in management. There simply aren't enough of (fill in the stock here) to justify protecting them.

So, pump out those hatchery fish, overwhelm the wilds, and fish away because the wilds are too rare to protect.

Works with in a species (hatchery Chinook and steelhead) and between species (hatchery chum and steelhead).

#895398 - 05/16/14 06:56 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: Carcassman]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

As anyone who has worked in water quality knows, the solution to pollution is dilution. Works for fish, too.

#895402 - 05/16/14 07:36 PM Re: Prepare to be underwhelmed this year at B-10 [Re: Carcassman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Yep… the justification goes something like this:

"There's so few of those wild ESA fish in the mix that the odds of actually encountering one are so infinitesimally small that it's inconsequential.

Now let's see what another opener looks like in the model"

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
free time, greenlayoid, Kokanee Kids, Lisa Tyree, SpinyRay
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1001 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645426 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |