THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#904182 - 08/28/14 01:15 AM Re: Seine netter menaces sport boats and orcas (video) [Re: gooybob]
Chasin' Baitman Offline
Returning Adult

10 40 ouncers...hahahaha

So yeah, turns out (and as Larry B mentioned)...commercial boats (tribal or not) who are actively fishing are exempt from the normal rules that apply to orcas.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.740

#904206 - 08/28/14 11:51 AM Re: Seine netter menaces sport boats and orcas (video) [Re: Chasin' Baitman]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

RCW 77.15.740
I agree that the law is aimed at recreational vessel owners.

Intent -- 2008 c 225: "The legislature encourages the state's law enforcement agencies to utilize existing statutes and regulations to protect southern resident orca whales from impacts from vessels, including the vessel operation and enforcement standards contained in chapter 79A.60 RCW." [2008 c 225 § 3.]

RCW 79A.60 heading reads REGULATION OF RECREATIONAL VESSELS.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#904211 - 08/28/14 12:41 PM Re: Seine netter menaces sport boats and orcas (video) [Re: Lucky Louie]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Let us all keep in mind that one of the emerging talking points is that orcas need to eat and that boating activity may interfere with their feeding.

The non-sequitor aspect of the exemption for the commercial fishers is that their commercial operations have a much greater potential for adversely affecting feeding behavior than recreational boaters as evidenced by the video clip.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#904267 - 08/28/14 05:35 PM Re: Seine netter menaces sport boats and orcas (video) [Re: Larry B]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
And what do they eat among other things? Salmon. And if the salmon are gone what impact will it have on the Orca population? I guess it doesn't matter as long as the Indians get theirs. So they can have ancient rituals ceremonies like making cedar baked salmon, drinking 40 ounce cans of beer, litter piling, egg stripping and basic techniques on how to poach and place nets where they aren't supposed to be. They also have ancient rituals like shooting multiple elk in the same day illegally. Don't forget the episode where they pulled assault rifles on two men with a two year old hunting legally. The incredibly intelligent tribal police were off the reservation but thought they were on the reservation. That is enough to scare the crap out of me.

#904433 - 08/29/14 03:31 PM Re: Seine netter menaces sport boats and orcas (video) [Re: gooybob]
truant Offline
Eyed Egg

I fished on a seine boat for five seasons. Without commenting on the bearing down by this seiner, I would say that if you are ever around a seine boat again just get on their stern on the outside corner as the net is under tow. They tow for about 20-30 minutes once the net is completely off the deck. They are spilling fish at the stern. You can catch them. They are not fish that the seiner could catch because they already spilled them. I told my father this and he did it and caught fish on a day when no one else was.

I can see why this was upsetting as they set right in the crowded area that you were fishing. The reason that the seiners weren't fishing at night is because traditionally the gillnetters are working at night. I'm not saying that any of this is right but I can say that this is how seining is done whether it is tribal or non-tribal.

The thing that bothers me about seining in Puget Sound is the fact that so much of the catch is by-catch that all of us sport fishermen would love to catch. To the seine crew it is not much money if any. It is just a way to keep the gear working and put a few fish in the freezer. They should not be allowed to fish in Puget Sound.

Edited by truant (08/29/14 03:50 PM)

#904463 - 08/29/14 05:57 PM Re: Seine netter menaces sport boats and orcas (video) [Re: truant]
Coho Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Muk
Originally Posted By: truant
They should not be allowed to fish in Puget Sound.

agree

good info too

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1012 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |