Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#905644 - 09/11/14 12:59 AM WEIGHTED FLY OR SINK TIP
CAPT.BOB'S FISHING Offline
Alevin

Loc: Union, WA.
Curious to know the opinions of Steelhead fly fishers on the following topic: Which setup presents the fly the deepest for the longest period of time---sink tip or floating line, long leader and weighted fly.
(www.captainbobsfishingtackle.com)

#905664 - 09/11/14 11:53 AM Re: WEIGHTED FLY OR SINK TIP [Re: CAPT.BOB'S FISHING]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

You'll love this answer: it depends.

It depends on the water being fished. It depends on the length and density of the sink tip. It depends on how long the leader is. It depends on the diameter of the leader. It depends whether the leader is nylon or flourocarbon. It depends on the weight and density of the fly. And it depends in either case how the cast is made and fished.

Sg

#905849 - 09/13/14 12:34 AM Re: WEIGHTED FLY OR SINK TIP [Re: Salmo g.]
floatinghat Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: West of Seattle
Agree with SG, also you don't always need to be deep. I would rather get a good swim of the fly than a poor swim on the bottom

#905881 - 09/13/14 02:32 PM Re: WEIGHTED FLY OR SINK TIP [Re: floatinghat]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: floatinghat
Agree with SG, also you don't always need to be deep. I would rather get a good swim of the fly than a poor swim on the bottom

Agree 100%

In heavy deep water, a heavier fly gets down yet retains action because of the turbulence. Example: a fast riffle flowing over a ledge into a deep pocket. You have to drop into the zone fast.

In soft deep water, a heavier fly sinks like a stone but doesn't have any action because there isn't enough turbulence to swim it. Example: further down the run in the previous example where the depth is still there but it is slowing and approaching the tail out. You have more time to get the fly down and a slower swing.

Another rule of thumb I use is that I don't want a sink tip that sinks faster there my fly. So for that deep soft water I would probably run a longer medium sink tip like T8 with a medium weighted fly.

Yet another rule of thumb is pay attention to how long your fly fishes and use that to decide how fast of a tip, fly, leader length et cetera. There is always a sweep spot for each little piece of water where you can throw it out there and just let it fish. The hard part is keeping a fly fishing well all day without messing around with knots, leaders, and tips. This is why I feel experience with the particular water you are fishing and what is needed to fish it effectively is more valuable than any advice out there.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#907042 - 09/23/14 01:04 PM Re: WEIGHTED FLY OR SINK TIP [Re: Jason Beezuz]
CAPT.BOB'S FISHING Offline
Alevin

Loc: Union, WA.
Good, intelligent replies. Thank you.
(www.captainbobsfishingtackle.com)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
4 registered (stonefish, eddie, 20 Gage, 1 invisible), 1069 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |