Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#907967 - 10/01/14 02:47 PM Re: Nisqually closure [Re: gooybob]
Ohop Joe Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: gooybob
I have a great idea on how to help bring them back (Kings)....tell the tribes to stop raping the resource. I know the Nisqually's say they stopped netting for now but before they start blaming anyone they need to take a good look at themselves. Like with most tribes I've seen them cheat over and over again for 30 years. I've said it a million times nothing devastates the resource more than nets cutting them off at the most strategic points in a RIVER. It's too bad they can't police themselves and they don't!

It is actually the BEST place to manage a specific salmon stock at, much better than in the salt where all stocks (healthy and unhealthy) mingle.

#907969 - 10/01/14 02:52 PM Re: Nisqually closure [Re: OncyT]
Ohop Joe Offline
Fry

Originally Posted By: OncyT
Interesting hypothesis. If they all diverted and got caught, given how comparatively low the PS return is, it should show as a very large increase in the Canadian catch. Wouldn't that catch be limited by treaty?

OncyT- I have not checked the catch records of our canadian friends, yet, eh, but I would imagine their fisheries are regulated by specific temporal and geographic openings, based on years of past data, eh, rather than in-season catch rates. ???

P.s. Good to hear from you OncyT!

#907972 - 10/01/14 03:12 PM Re: Nisqually closure [Re: Ohop Joe]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

I know there was concern about catching Thompson coho mingled in with the "record" sockeye run. I did hear there was a record catch of sockeye in the Johnston Strait area and suspect there was substantial bycatch. I haven't read anything about other salmon species returning down the inside of Vancouver Island in any numbers but If the "bubble" of warm water is causing the sockeye to substantially change their migration route, I have to conclude the "bubble" is not good for the migration of other salmon runs. The warm water brings in predator species that are not normally in these northern waters. I remember el nino years where there were massive schools of mackerel off Neah Bay that were suspected of consuming large numbers of out migrating small salmon for example.

#908284 - 10/03/14 02:05 PM Re: Nisqually closure [Re: Keta]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Mackerel were in large numbers as far north as Nootka Sound in 1997 where they were entertaining to catch with trout gear off the resort's floating dock. But they were hell on outbound smolts to include virtually all released from Barkley Sound hatcheries: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1997/jun/23/mackerel-wreaking-havoc-with-salmon/.

The article also references an El Nino of 1992/1993 with a similar mackerel invasion.

As far as this year I have to believe if there was to have been such an invasion it would have already occurred and in any case outbound smolt have already dispersed.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Dick laxton, Lil Blue Sled, Lil Red Sled, Solash, The Moderator, WeServe
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Tug 3), 1074 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645375 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |