Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#908504 - 10/06/14 10:28 AM Flossing: It's the California way
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Not only do they floss but they brag about it and the moderators ban anyone who speaking out against it. Pretty shameless.

[url=http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/salmon-steelhead-board/118354-ar.html][/url]

#908513 - 10/06/14 11:23 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Sacramento, CA
You'd better ban anyone on here that's ever fished (i.e . Flossed) Sockeye in AK while your at it.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/06/14 11:29 AM)

#908537 - 10/06/14 01:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Kenmore
I fish with my hooks clipped so that I still get a hit and know I could have caught the fish but I am still superior to anyone that uses hooks!

I am also a vegan who doesn't eat anything that created a shadow.

I also don't support the use of any fossil fuels so if you have a boat with a motor I am better than you. If you can't walk to your fishing hole I think you should be perma banned.

All joking aside if you hate flossing, dont floss. There are a bunch of fly fishermen that think using gear/bait is horrible and should be banned. Where does it end?

#908579 - 10/06/14 05:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: flylikeIdo]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: flylikeIdo
I fish with my hooks clipped so that I still get a hit and know I could have caught the fish but I am still superior to anyone that uses hooks!

I am also a vegan who doesn't eat anything that created a shadow.

I also don't support the use of any fossil fuels so if you have a boat with a motor I am better than you. If you can't walk to your fishing hole I think you should be perma banned.

All joking aside if you hate flossing, dont floss. There are a bunch of fly fishermen that think using gear/bait is horrible and should be banned. Where does it end?

You are missing the point. In California it is illegal and the site is promoting illegal fishing.

From their fishing regulations:

1.05. ANGLING.
To take fish by hook and line with the line held in
the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or
rod held in the hand or closely attended in such
manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or
lure in its mouth

#908591 - 10/06/14 06:37 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Don't want to start an argument because this has been beaten to death elsewhere, but until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fish did not voluntarily take the offering (i.e. bead, corkie, etc.) then the method remains legal. Most are likely flossed as you assert, but there is a small percentage that hit the offering willingly. That being the case, you can't call it illegal. Not arguing one side or the other - just pointing out why the method remains legal in CA along with OR and WA.

#908593 - 10/06/14 06:56 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Nor Cal,

"Beyond a shadow of a doubt" is not a valid legal standard anywhere that I'm aware of. I don't know about California, but attempting to take a fish by a method in which the fish doesn't voluntarily take the hook in its mouth is considered snagging in Washington.

Will there be proof problems if WDFW tries to prosecute? Almost certainly. But that doesn't make trying to floss fish legal.

#908596 - 10/06/14 07:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: MPM

Will there be proof problems if WDFW tries to prosecute? Almost certainly. But that doesn't make trying to floss fish legal.

Actually...it kinda does.

If I am attempting to entice the fish to hit my offering willingly, and I unintentionally floss one, I'm legal all day long.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/06/14 07:14 PM)

#908599 - 10/06/14 07:17 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
Brewer Offline

Loc: in the mass production zone
without a doubt this is a legitimate way to take fish. no game warden anywhere is going to get off his ass! out of his truck and inspect each flossed fish. I know for a fact that a GW is only as good as his binocs or spotting scope. the numbers are just to great to break the phenomenon. flossers are not interested in regulations. as long as the fish comes to shore head first it's a totally legal fish! There's not enough GWs in the state to break this. flossers are about numbers to the bank. not fish legally fished, hooked or caught!

#908601 - 10/06/14 07:23 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter

If I am attempting to entice the fish to hit my offering willingly, and I unintentionally floss one, I'm legal all day long.

Yer delusional.....still.
And apparently you fit right in with the broken fisheries in the over-populated areas.

It's true, ignorance is bliss.

I'm lucky in that I fish in a roadless area where it's one man to a run and the fish attack my offerings.

#908604 - 10/06/14 07:43 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Brewer Offline

icame across a guy 2 weekend's ago. a full blown flosser. I jumped his ass and asked if he was going to set after every cast? he replied back yes! I belittled him and told him he was a [Bleeeeep!] fisherman. he replied with everything it's "how he learned to take salmon" every cast w/10' leader rip!!!!! he set soften that he had broken eyes on his spinning rod hitting rocks!

these guys can not be rehabilitated !!!!!! once a flosser has been taught to floss the sequence is complete. NEVER TO BE BROKEN!!!

#908605 - 10/06/14 07:53 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Brewer]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
A few years ago, when I could still stand on a river gravel bar, I was fishing along side of a flosser that jerked several times during his drift.

Every time he jerked I quickly asked "Ya got one"? He said "no". I'm kinda loud and I think he got tired of me and quit yankin'. fp loved it!

fp

Edited by fp (10/06/14 07:54 PM)

#908607 - 10/06/14 08:02 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

And apparently you fit right in with the broken fisheries in the over-populated areas.

I'm lucky in that I fish in a roadless area where it's one man to a run and the fish attack my offerings.

Never said I flossed DD. I'm not making this personal. You outta do the same.

#908610 - 10/06/14 08:07 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Nor Cal,

By your logic, if I reliably hide the murder weapon, the murder was kinda legal.

Your second point is valid, if you happen to floss a fish accidentally, that's not a violation in Washington. But that's not what we're talking about, right?

#908611 - 10/06/14 08:08 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
ReefSkunk
Unregistered

Nor Cal Flosser is a flosser. Conversation is moot.

#908618 - 10/06/14 09:20 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Healing begins with accountability.

My name is eyeFISH, and I AM a flosser.

Dammmmm... I feel better already.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#908626 - 10/06/14 10:08 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Never said I flossed DD. I'm not making this personal. You outta do the same.

Oh, I thought you said that you were a flosser of the unintentional variety and legal all day long.

One of the steps in the 12 step Flossers Anonymous program ?

The attack...the pickup....that is the thrill.
That magic millisecond.......
There is no substitute.

#908637 - 10/06/14 11:02 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

The conversation is about whether or not flossing is legal. You seem to want to make it about me. I'm not interested. Feel free to continue this conversation with the WDFW - so far flossing still exists all along the west coast so somehow it must still be legal.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/06/14 11:04 PM)

#908641 - 10/06/14 11:09 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Flossing is 100% illegal in WA.

What part of voluntarily taking the offering is so hard to get.

It's all about the angler's intent... Is he fishing in a way intended to allow the fish to chase the gear or is the gear chasing the fish.

END OF STORY!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#908642 - 10/06/14 11:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Flossing is the equivalent of fishing with a single strand gillnet.

J F C... defending flossing as if the fish are "chasing" that 8 ft leader is like saying Humptulips kings and coho are "biting" the gillnets (currently deployed in tidewater as I type this reply).

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#908645 - 10/06/14 11:22 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: eyeFISH]
RobertF
Unregistered

The Fish Sniffer board has always been and always will be a joke. Nothing to see here,move along folks.

BTW flossing,whether it is legal or not,ain't fishin. Just sayin.

#908646 - 10/06/14 11:23 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

The conversation is about whether or not flossing is legal. You seem to want to make it about me. I'm not interested. Feel free to continue this conversation with the WDFW - so far flossing still exists all along the west coast so somehow it must still be legal.

It's about you because you repeatedly defend flossing. Sometimes overt, sometimes covert.
Your posts telegraph how broken your idea of angling is.
We have the vampires at the terminal fisheries, no doubt, but it seems rampant down there.

I get pissed off when the yahoos break the sage plants along the trail.
And the alders in the riparian zone.
I start my pushback there. Flossers don't have a chance.

#908647 - 10/06/14 11:25 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
RobertF
Unregistered

so far flossing still exists all along the west coast so somehow it must still be legal.

Blame that on our inept fisheries management

#908648 - 10/06/14 11:27 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
RobertF
Unregistered

If the dfw would pass a rule that limits leader length it would do away with 90% of the snagger problem. And it ain't just California,I've seen the Lewis River hatchery,the Kalama,the "corkie fishermen " in oregon.

#908703 - 10/07/14 11:56 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
MPM Offline
Spawner

so far flossing still exists all along the west coast so somehow it must still be legal.

Same with murder, rape, the drug trade, etc. They all exist, therefore they must be legal!

Nor Cal, I agree there's no need to make this about you, me, or anyone else in particular. But you are relying on some faulty logic to support your argument here.

#908718 - 10/07/14 01:03 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

I hate snaggers more than seals!!! I always tell em what pieces of human waste they are. Human cormorants. Flossers are barely any better, they just think they are. When the flossers/snaggers come out the banks get covered in litter. They throw over your line and dont care in the least. I say cut the leader length down and impose the stationary gear restriction. I know that wont stop the flossers but it will stop the blatant snagging. (I fish the lewis and the blatant snagging is more their style.) These "people" have respect nothing.

#908733 - 10/07/14 02:31 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
It's the same argument every time...the law clearly forbids it, but since it is impossible to enforce that means it is legal and ethical.

Snagging is snagging even if you can't get busted.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#908753 - 10/07/14 03:45 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Don't want to start an argument because this has been beaten to death elsewhere, but until you can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that the fish did not voluntarily take the offering (i.e. bead, corkie, etc.) then the method remains legal. Most are likely flossed as you assert, but there is a small percentage that hit the offering willingly. That being the case, you can't call it illegal. Not arguing one side or the other - just pointing out why the method remains legal in CA along with OR and WA.

REALLY?????? That's total BS dude. Why is it that some people just can't face reality (TRUTH)? Flossing is flossing and the jerkoffs that do it know they're flossing. It doesn't matter if it's Alaska, Oregon or California. Fishing is supposed to be a sport. Sports are exercised by sportsman and sportsman don't f-ing floss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it was legal is it moral or ethical considering the present condition of our SPORT fisheries? If rape was legal would you condone that? In a way that is exactly what flossers are doing to the fishery. They are f-ing raping it!!!!!!!!!!! WTF happened to etiquette? I'm so sick of the bonehead mentality of this kind of sh!t! I don't pay a f-ing fortune for a license and all of the other fees to fish in this state only to have a bunch of dickheads floss the fish I'm paying for!

#908829 - 10/07/14 10:52 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: gooybob]
FinChaser Offline
Fry

Loc: Wasilla, AK / Bellevue, WA
Interesting you bring up Alaska gooybob, I was just about to ask about it. Up here there are fisheries that are meant for snagging and some that are even opened to snagging by EO (the Resurrection River and Homer Lagoon for example). In these cases where it is completely legal and the specific fisheries are in good shape, would it still be considered unethical?

#908832 - 10/07/14 11:20 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: FinChaser]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
While legal in some places, I would still consider it unsportsmanlike, which used to matter more than it does now. A lot of the questionable behavior is in artificial situations where we make fish easy targets for it, more so than in a natural environment. Maybe we should re think that. Pursuit of the quarry in their own natural environment, with skill and deception, a nimrod is a skillfull angler by the way, is what sport fishing used to be. Meat fishing for groceries by any means takes something away from that. There is a difference between sport fishing and what a lot of people are doing now.

Edited by milt roe (10/07/14 11:22 PM)

#908858 - 10/08/14 02:56 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: milt roe]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
Flossing has an appropriate place in the eyes of many and that seems to be sockeye fisheries. Sure sockeye will eat, but it's way easier to floss em and fill the freezer and that's what 99.9% of sockeye fisherman are after, subsistence.

Sportsmanlike? Depends on how you define the word I suppose. There is a line between subsisting and sport certainly and I firmly believe the resource needs to be treated with respect regardless. I also firmly believe in the fundamental importance of both sport and subsistence, sustainability being the important concept in each case.

I floss sockeye and help others to do the same and am not afraid to admit it. Why in my mind this is ok for one fish but entirely unethical for others? I am not quite sure. Justify it how you will; they don't bite, there are so many, etc.

A few points on fishing vs. flossing.

First, the techniques are entirely different though to the untrained eye they can appear similar. Drift fishing, when done well, should try to mimick a natural (current speed) relatively drag free presentation of something that fish is naturally inclined to chew on.

Flossing, when done well, should try to target fish in a specific position (traveling or holding) with line and leader at strategic depths and angles so as to allow the angler to manipulate terminal tackle to achieve expressed purpose of getting groceries hooked in a "legal" area. What does "in the mouth" mean anyhow? What is on the end of the line, besides a hook of course, is of little importance as long as strategic line and leader depths, speeds, and orientations are met.

The differences are painfully obvious to any fisherman and we all know, or should at least, what it is we are trying to do. Unfortunately many charged with enforcing anti-snagging regulations arent fisherman, at least to the point of being able see the differences between fishing and snagging with a drift rig and/or trying to explain the differences from a "legal" standpoint.

To fisherman, anyone that cant tell the difference between a flossed hook up and a naturally accepted offering I say you are an unskilled and/or inexperienced angler. The differences are so obvious they they really can't be missed if you pay attention to the details, as any fisherman worth his salt does. The devil is in them after all.

Setting angler input or methodology aside for a moment, the way a fish behaves after it is hooked is entirely different from a fish that has taken voluntarily vs. one that has been snagged. One fish has been up to something else entirely (resting or moving) with a fairly focused agenda whilst the other has chosen to bite something and is surprised that this thing has a life of it's own.

Getting to know your quarry, it's moods, mindsets and behaviors is a big part of being successful in fishing and elsewhere. If to you fishing is just chucking a line out there and then now and again something pulls back, there is more to it mate. With greater investment comes greater reward.

Once upon a time I'd would have said there are flosserman and fisherman and that's it, but unfortunately it's not that simple. I now realize there are those that have been shown the wrong way and that know no other other methods. There are those that know and abide by better standards for the most part but comprise for food, clients, friends, and fun. There are purists that hold themselves and others to standards that would draw lines between one form of ethical fishing and another.

My current fishing venue is a perfect example of the culture clash that can exist in the steelheading world. For the last few days I've been kicking around steelhead streams in Alaska rubbing elbows with folks that only know how to catch a fish using the kenai flip and rip with a "coho" fly. Then there are those that will only fish an unweighted fly on a floating fly line. Finally there's a few more of us somewhere in the middle.

In the end who is right? Maybe we are all wrong. How can you love something to death anyhow.

I caught a steelhead today, a few in fact,. They are majestic creatures. It was a good day. They all ate what I showed them and I feel good about that. I hope I have a few more days like today down the road. More that that, I hope others are able to enjoy the same sort of days long after I am gone.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#908863 - 10/08/14 09:27 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Blktailhunter

You are missing the point. In California it is illegal and the site is promoting illegal fishing.

From their fishing regulations:

1.05. ANGLING.
To take fish by hook and line with the line held in
the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or
rod held in the hand or closely attended in such
manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or
lure in its mouth

Easy argument - My shiny line is my lure.

That is like reading something from the bible. One person reads flossing is illegal, another person reads fish prefer fishing line to lures and another reads they need to drive their children into the lake.

#908873 - 10/08/14 12:06 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: flylikeIdo]
MPM Offline
Spawner

That argument is easy, but it is also unbelievable, and it is not true in flossing instances that the fish voluntarily takes the line into its mouth.

#908875 - 10/08/14 12:26 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: ColeyG
Flossing has an appropriate place in the eyes of many and that seems to be sockeye fisheries. Sure sockeye will eat, but it's way easier to floss em and fill the freezer and that's what 99.9% of sockeye fisherman are after, subsistence.

Sportsmanlike? Depends on how you define the word I suppose. There is a line between subsisting and sport certainly and I firmly believe the resource needs to be treated with respect regardless. I also firmly believe in the fundamental importance of both sport and subsistence, sustainability being the important concept in each case.

I floss sockeye and help others to do the same and am not afraid to admit it. Why in my mind this is ok for one fish but entirely unethical for others? I am not quite sure. Justify it how you will; they don't bite, there are so many, etc.

First, the techniques are entirely different though to the untrained eye they can appear similar. Drift fishing, when done well, should try to mimick a natural (current speed) relatively drag free presentation of something that fish is naturally inclined to chew on.

Flossing, when done well, should try to target fish in a specific position (traveling or holding) with line and leader at strategic depths and angles so as to allow the angler to manipulate terminal tackle to achieve expressed purpose of getting groceries hooked in a "legal" area. What does "in the mouth" mean anyhow? What is on the end of the line, besides a hook of course, is of little importance as long as strategic line and leader depths, speeds, and orientations are met.

The differences are painfully obvious to any fisherman and we all know, or should at least, what it is we are trying to do. Unfortunately many charged with enforcing anti-snagging regulations arent fisherman, at least to the point of being able see the differences between fishing and snagging with a drift rig and/or trying to explain the differences from a "legal" standpoint.

To fisherman, anyone that cant tell the difference between a flossed hook up and a naturally accepted offering I say you are an unskilled and/or inexperienced angler. The differences are so obvious they they really can't be missed if you pay attention to the details, as any fisherman worth his salt does. The devil is in them after all.

Setting angler input or methodology aside for a moment, the way a fish behaves after it is hooked is entirely different from a fish that has taken voluntarily vs. one that has been snagged. One fish has been up to something else entirely (resting or moving) with a fairly focused agenda whilst the other has chosen to bite something and is surprised that this thing has a life of it's own.

Getting to know your quarry, it's moods, mindsets and behaviors is a big part of being successful in fishing and elsewhere. If to you fishing is just chucking a line out there and then now and again something pulls back, there is more to it mate. With greater investment comes greater reward.

Once upon a time I'd would have said there are flosserman and fisherman and that's it, but unfortunately it's not that simple. I now realize there are those that have been shown the wrong way and that know no other other methods. There are those that know and abide by better standards for the most part but comprise for food, clients, friends, and fun. There are purists that hold themselves and others to standards that would draw lines between one form of ethical fishing and another.

My current fishing venue is a perfect example of the culture clash that can exist in the steelheading world. For the last few days I've been kicking around steelhead streams in Alaska rubbing elbows with folks that only know how to catch a fish using the kenai flip and rip with a "coho" fly. Then there are those that will only fish an unweighted fly on a floating fly line. Finally there's a few more of us somewhere in the middle.

In the end who is right? Maybe we are all wrong. How can you love something to death anyhow.

I caught a steelhead today, a few in fact,. They are majestic creatures. It was a good day. They all ate what I showed them and I feel good about that. I hope I have a few more days like today down the road. More that that, I hope others are able to enjoy the same sort of days long after I am gone.

Great post Coley.

#908877 - 10/08/14 12:29 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Excellent work Coley. Perspective, like intent, matters. Thanks for posting.

Sg

#908881 - 10/08/14 01:53 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Salmo g.]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

Another thing about the snagging/flossing is i end up catching a good number of fish by their busted off snagging gear. You would think that their 50lb line would hold up but since they don't know what they're doing the knots they tie are crap and they end up busting fish off and leaving a 10 foot leader hanging off the fishes back side.

#908888 - 10/08/14 03:16 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Jason Beezuz Offline
My Waders are Moist

Loc: PNW
How about a law saying float fishing only in terminal hatchery zones (flossing holes)?

They did the suspended lure rule on the Samish River so they can do it anywhere.

I realize that one can still floss with a float, I see it in British Columbia all the time, but at least it is much more difficult and totally ineffective most places.

Maybe it's amphetamines.

#908899 - 10/08/14 04:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Over the years this subject pops up now and then. All the same points over and over again. This post should be the last word on this topic. Probably wouldn't be.

#908902 - 10/08/14 05:00 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Keta]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

You think?

#908909 - 10/08/14 06:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: MPM]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: MPM

That argument is easy, but it is also unbelievable, and it is not true in flossing instances that the fish voluntarily takes the line into its mouth.

Explain why fish are always swimming into nets! Not cause the line is invisible but its irresistible!

#908912 - 10/08/14 06:22 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Jason Beezuz]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezy
How about a law saying float fishing only in terminal hatchery zones (flossing holes)?

They did the suspended lure rule on the Samish River so they can do it anywhere.

I realize that one can still floss with a float, I see it in British Columbia all the time, but at least it is much more difficult and totally ineffective most places.

So you can't fish a spinner, a plug or a fly rod. No bouncing eggs across the bottom. Cant troll anything.

Makes sense to prevent a few people from running a line through a fishes mouth. Its a totally reasonable idea unless your one of the 90% of fishermen who don't float fish!

#908932 - 10/08/14 07:36 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Keta]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Keta

Over the years this subject pops up now and then. All the same points over and over again. This post should be the last word on this topic. Probably wouldn't be.

Flossing turns our sport upside down.
Coley's post was thoughtful and spot on.

"... there are those that have been shown the wrong way and that know no other other methods."

There is no hope for that group.
You could cut their hands off like the Muslims do, but I digress.

#908973 - 10/09/14 12:12 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Brewer Offline

I could have posted nearly the same post as coley's. except I would be flamed for admitting to flossing sockeyes...

rofl whistle

#908975 - 10/09/14 12:22 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Brewer]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: Brewer
I could have posted nearly the same post as coley's.

Bullsh!t.

And everyone except you knows it.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#908982 - 10/09/14 01:49 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Dan S.]
Brewer Offline

Originally Posted By: Dan S.

Bullsh!t.

it's pretty obvious why my point went right over your low head.

#909009 - 10/09/14 11:43 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Dan S.]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Bullsh!t.

Nailed that one tight.

#909033 - 10/09/14 04:38 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Brewer]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Bullsh!t.

it's pretty obvious why my point went right over your low head.

Your only point is the one on your dunce cap, dumbass.

#909037 - 10/09/14 06:02 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Dan S.]
Brewer Offline

no the point is your a dwarf who posts like a tough guy. a short man who calls people names. if dunce cap or dumbass is your A game you have not raised your bar in the least. step it up or just shut up.

Coley your post was well written and a good read.

my experience with flossers is that they cannot be rehabilitated. once the practice is ingrained it can't be forgotten.

#909038 - 10/09/14 06:04 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Dan S.]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I floss regularly and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Its especially best after meals and before bedtime.

#909044 - 10/09/14 06:29 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Brewer]
Dan S. Offline

no the point is your a dwarf who posts like a tough guy. a short man who calls people names. if dunce cap or dumbass is your A game you have not raised your bar in the least. step it up or just shut up.

"Your a dwarf'

lol

What a dumbfuck.

Make me shut up, Sally.

#909062 - 10/09/14 07:54 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Dan S.]
Brewer Offline

dan listen, I never seek out your posts and attack you. if anything I gloss right over your posts always. I never mentioned you in any way in my 1st reply. in fact I never mention you at all in any post I make unless you come after me first. I'm asking you to put a block on my moniker. this not in any a reply attack just making it public.

#909064 - 10/09/14 07:58 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Brewer]
Dan S. Offline

dan listen, I never seek out your posts and attack you. if anything I gloss right over your posts always. I never mentioned you in any way in my 1st reply. in fact I never mention you at all in any post I make unless you come after me first. I'm asking you to put a block on my moniker. this not in any a reply attack just making it public.

Fine.

Deal.

#909066 - 10/09/14 08:04 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Dan S.]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

The solution I think is fairly easy to craft. Implementing it however is likely impossible.

If I was charged with the task of trying to solve the snagging/flossing problem in AK and by some miracle was given unlimited resources to do it, I'd go at it as follows:

Snagging defined: Any method that hooks or attempts to hook a fish that has not willingly taken or that has not tried to take (bite) the anglers lure or bait.

1. Snagging is legal for sockeye only and anglers must retain the first limit of fish landed while snagging. Snagging is not allowed after a limit has been retained.

2. No snagging or attempting to snag allowed for other species.

3. Properly train enforcement agents in what legal vs. illegal fishing looks like.

4. Deploy a sufficient number of enforcement agents so as to regularly monitor high priority areas at key times and to maintain a timely response capability.

5. Provide incentives for those that report snaggers.

The biggest hurdle of course is #4 for most agencies these days.

As for that other note, I'll blame a few of the loosely connected and/or incomplete ramblings on late night IPA fueled philosophizing.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#909067 - 10/09/14 08:11 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I think the best way to stop it is to make fun of snaggers/flossers and shame them into stopping since they aren't stopped by any laws or regulations, and seem to revel in the fact that they are snaggers who can't be stopped.

Fish on...

Todd

#909070 - 10/09/14 08:29 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
FinChaser Offline
Fry

Loc: Wasilla, AK / Bellevue, WA
The solution I think is fairly easy to craft. Implementing it however is likely impossible.

If I was charged with the task of trying to solve the snagging/flossing problem in AK and by some miracle was given unlimited resources to do it, I'd go at it as follows:

Snagging defined: Any method that hooks or attempts to hook a fish that has not willingly taken or that has not tried to take (bite) the anglers lure or bait.

1. Snagging is legal for sockeye only and anglers must retain the first limit of fish landed while snagging. Snagging is not allowed after a limit has been retained.

2. No snagging or attempting to snag allowed for other species.

3. Properly train enforcement agents in what legal vs. illegal fishing looks like.

4. Deploy a sufficient number of enforcement agents so as to regularly monitor high priority areas at key times and to maintain a timely response capability.

5. Provide incentives for those that report snaggers.

The biggest hurdle of course is #4 for most agencies these days.

As for that other note, I'll blame a few of the loosely connected and/or incomplete ramblings on late night IPA fueled philosophizing.

If that went through, my addition would be to try to clearly define snagging gear. Dodging "Seward Flies" out in the open on the Resurrection is one thing. Dodging them in the closer quarters of the Russian would be a little more exciting. Not that the standard Russian flies and hunks of lead currently used are much better.... Perhaps mandatory full face shields would be in order... smile Also, we'd have to be careful with the timing and location of the snagging rules so we avoid areas with strong species crossover, like when second run of Reds and the Coho are thick on the Kenai.

Edited by FinChaser (10/09/14 08:35 PM)

#909071 - 10/09/14 08:31 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Brewer]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham

A little comedy in every PP thread. smile

I agree with Todd. Shame is a powerful weapon for anyone with self awareness. Then, there are others (see above).

#909082 - 10/09/14 09:24 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

1) Mount fighting chair on Jeep
2) Snag flosser in crotch area
3) See how fast flosser can run

smile

#909086 - 10/09/14 10:06 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Seriously? You guys are ok flossing one type of Salmon but not another? That's just plain ludicrous. How in the f do you justify that? "Flexible ethics" is a good description. What a joke...I can hear your platform now - "we hate flossers. Unless you're flossing Sockeye. And you're in AK. And you kill everything you floss. Otherwise we're gonna shame you!"

And I'm not attacking Coley here - I'm referring to all of you on here that "shame" flossers then turn around and floss Sockeye in AK.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/09/14 10:16 PM)

#909087 - 10/09/14 10:23 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Ha, that is ludicrous. It should include sockeye in Canada too. I never go near them but hatchery combat fishing zones are a candidate too. If someone wants to floss a hatchery boot to eat who cares.

#909089 - 10/09/14 10:31 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
Originally Posted By: Banned User
Make flossers read brewers posts....while staked to a pile of chum carcasses

On an anthill.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#909090 - 10/09/14 10:53 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: blackmouth]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Rev. blackmouth

On an anthill.

In the desert, naked.

#909094 - 10/09/14 11:26 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

If it makes the flossers/snaggers feel better, I don't floss sockeyes in Alaska or in British Columbia, either.

Feel better now?

As a very relevant aside, it's not illegal to floss in British Columbia. It is plainly illegal down here, even if it's hard or impossible to enforce, and no amount of justification for it makes it legal.

Fish on...

Todd

#909096 - 10/09/14 11:29 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Sometimes you have to pick battles you can win. Snagging sockeye will never go away, so the task at hand should be managing that fishery in the most responsible and sustainable way possible.

I'm ok with being attacked, constructively or generally Nor Cal. Keeps me on my toes and prompts some thought that might otherwise be easy to forego.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909105 - 10/09/14 11:58 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

Whether or not it's legal shouldn't matter when the majority (all?) of those that "hate flossers" cite ethical reasons, not legal. Interestingly enough, on the rivers I fish down here where flossing is prevalent, they are hatchery supported systems. Wild spawners were wiped out years ago when they built the dams and blocked access to 99% of the spawning gravel. So all the "hatchery turds" and "AHFMD" types outta be happy the flossers are removing those fish from the gene pool..

#909107 - 10/10/14 12:12 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Whether or not it's legal shouldn't matter when the majority (all?) of those that "hate flossers" cite ethical reasons, not legal. Interestingly enough, on the rivers I fish down here where flossing is prevalent, they are hatchery supported systems. Wild spawners were wiped out years ago when they built the dams and blocked access to 99% of the spawning gravel. So all the "hatchery turds" and "AHFMD" types outta be happy the flossers are removing those fish from the gene pool..

Have you considered Ideology?

#909114 - 10/10/14 12:40 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: blackmouth]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Purposely breaking fish and wildlife laws is an ethical issue, defending it makes the lawbreaker look kinda stupid, and doing it with fish and game laws is something no "sportsman" would do.

Fish on...

Todd

#909125 - 10/10/14 01:06 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Todd]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

non se·qui·tur noun
noun: non sequitur; plural noun: non sequiturs; noun: nonsequitur; plural noun: nonsequiturs

a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

#909128 - 10/10/14 01:12 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Todd]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Most of us fish for fun. It really isn't subsistence for 99% of anglers. Especially the ones who buy a license and gear and everything else you need for this stuff.

Flossing is sort of like ordering a steak well-done. It is taking something that can be really good and ruining it. I try not to look down on people who order steak well done, or go a-flossing but it is hard. The best part of fishing is the fishing part, cheating yourself out of that when the fish will attack a lure or bait that you actually are fishing with is a total waste, like a well done steak.

#909129 - 10/10/14 01:39 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: blackmouth]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

non se·qui·tur noun
noun: non sequitur; plural noun: non sequiturs; noun: nonsequitur; plural noun: nonsequiturs

a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

Stay tuned for the "have you ever driven over the speed limit?" comments, followed by "my tax dollars pay for those fish and I can snag them if I want, I'm entitled to them" argument...it's on page four and I'm surprised those haven't been played up yet. Again.

Fish on...

Todd

#909132 - 10/10/14 08:42 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Hopefully this Black Cloud and its revelers will stay down there.
It's a shame, really.

#909153 - 10/10/14 02:08 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

You already have it "up there." It's just as prevalent in WA and OR as it is in CA - the title of this thread is inaccurate.

#909159 - 10/10/14 03:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
You'd better ban anyone on here that's ever fished (i.e . Flossed) Sockeye in AK while your at it.

If I got to ban everyone that made a blatantly half brain-dead stupid comment on this board, there would be no one left here.

Except Redhook. And Stam.

I don't have a problem with anyone flossing fish for meat and not sport. Floss your limit and fish and go home. Not a single fish or cast once you've hooked your limit. Catch and release and flossing do not mix, in my book.

Change the regs so that you MUST retain the fish you hook and land.

See. I should be banning myself now for this blatantly half brain-dead stupid comment.

#909161 - 10/10/14 03:25 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Yes
You should ban yerself...

On general principles....

smile

Good idea.

In my absence, I now bequeath Moderatorship to Todd The Mod.

He's now running the ship boys.

See ya!

#909162 - 10/10/14 03:47 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Keta]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

Seriously flossing/snagging should be illegal everywhere!!! You're cutting the fish up by ripping through em constantly, you're leaving gear hanging off of em because of your inability to tie a freakin knot and it creates an atmosphere of no respect for the fish/other people/and the environment. I know they die any way and Id rather they nourish the river system than have the eggs taken and the corpse put in your trash can! I will pick on these people relentlessly every time i see em. They are human trash! Its so funny to me how much sass mouth they have to give me when I don't open carry my pistol but when they can see it they just listen to me belittle them mercilessly.

#909164 - 10/10/14 04:06 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Barbarosa
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: REV. JER
Its so funny to me how much sass mouth they have to give me when I don't open carry my pistol but when they can see it they just listen to me belittle them mercilessly.

Just shoot them no good varmint cotton pickin sumbitches an quit yer cryin %%$#%%!!!!!!!^%^$#%$%$!!!!!!

#909165 - 10/10/14 04:27 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: REV. JER
Seriously flossing should be illegal everywhere!!!

Not quite everywhere......

#909176 - 10/10/14 05:37 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

That is beautiful. smile Can't complain about that.

#909177 - 10/10/14 05:40 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
RobertF
Unregistered

hello banana agree applause

#909178 - 10/10/14 07:05 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Brewer Offline

On an anthill.

In the desert, naked.

don't forget a bottle iof pa just out of reach too. foul

#909181 - 10/10/14 07:54 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

"Its so funny to me how much sass mouth they have to give me when I don't open carry my pistol but when they can see it they just listen to me belittle them mercilessly."

So you are saying you are a big pussy without your gun and a big dick with your gun?

#909182 - 10/10/14 08:02 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Yep, there are good flossers and bad flossers.
She bad.

#909183 - 10/10/14 08:03 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Keta]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

Nope. I pitch em sh!t every chance i get... gun or no. but I do notice a difference in their behavior when they see it. smile And I like that.

#909191 - 10/10/14 09:06 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: REV. JER]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Ya sure. I'd love to see you pitch em sh!t without your gun at Herrling Island during the sockeye season.

#909202 - 10/10/14 11:08 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

So salmon aren't biting my corkies? They look just like eggs.

#909352 - 10/12/14 02:10 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

They (the moderators) are doubling down on that Sniffer site

Wow! Real classy

#909379 - 10/12/14 06:52 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Blktailhunter]
RobertF
Unregistered

Worst fishing board ever,

#909435 - 10/13/14 11:57 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
J-D Offline
Fry

nothing better then walking up to a spot where its dead and nobody's 'catching', then start flossing fish every cast. O_O

#909439 - 10/13/14 12:58 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: J-D]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

The Horde was out in force on the lower Humptulips this weekend. They had a canopy tent set up for shade, a big ole' bonfire and a radio blaring. My son counted 12 guys/kids and even "women" standing elbow to elbow and another group roughly the same size sitting under the tent. We watched them for twenty minutes or so- 1oz cannon ball sinker with at least eight foot leaders with a corkie. They were whipping their casts all the way across the river, letting it settle and ripping 180 degrees. Pathetic. One from the group would consistently be fighting a fish when, after an all day drift with plugs and bait, we only went one 1-6.

I have never seen them in this particular spot and it really surprised me after more than twenty years drifting this stretch. When I floated by in front of them, none would make eye contact and had nothing to say. Another boat at the takeout claimed to have taken video and contacted WDLF but I doubt anything was done. I guess the word gets out that fish were stacking in this appt and they all converge.

Edited by JTD (10/13/14 12:59 PM)
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#909476 - 10/13/14 07:30 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: JTD]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Anchor an old bed spring in there.

smile

#909477 - 10/13/14 07:40 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: JTD]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: JTD

The Horde was out in force on the lower Humptulips this weekend. They had a canopy tent set up for shade, a big ole' bonfire and a radio blaring. My son counted 12 guys/kids and even "women" standing elbow to elbow and another group roughly the same size sitting under the tent. We watched them for twenty minutes or so- 1oz cannon ball sinker with at least eight foot leaders with a corkie. They were whipping their casts all the way across the river, letting it settle and ripping 180 degrees. Pathetic. One from the group would consistently be fighting a fish when, after an all day drift with plugs and bait, we only went one 1-6.

I have never seen them in this particular spot and it really surprised me after more than twenty years drifting this stretch. When I floated by in front of them, none would make eye contact and had nothing to say. Another boat at the takeout claimed to have taken video and contacted WDLF but I doubt anything was done. I guess the word gets out that fish were stacking in this appt and they all converge.

Sounds like a Children of the Corn and The Hills Have Eyes combo group outting.
How was the heavy metal banjo music?

#909479 - 10/13/14 08:05 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
JTD Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Browns Point,Wa. USA

smile

Why didn't I think of that???? A couple cement blocks and barbed wire strung between? The wheels are turning now.

doh

SF- I didn't listen really just rowed past in disgust. Couple of the guys looked shamefully upscale... The rest not so much.

chain
In the legend of King Arthur, the Fisher King was a renowned angler whose errant ways caused him to be struck dumb in the presence of the sacred chalice. I am no great fisherman, and a steelhead is not the covenant of Christ, but with each of these fish I am rendered speechless.

#909480 - 10/13/14 08:12 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: JTD]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

smile

Why didn't I think of that???? A couple cement blocks and barbed wire strung between? The wheels are turning now.

doh

SF- I didn't listen really just rowed past in disgust. Couple of the guys looked shamefully upscale... The rest not so much.

chain

Yep, a chunk of coiled barbed wire would be perfect and easier to transport.

thumbs

"The Bob Wire Hole"

#909485 - 10/13/14 08:55 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: J-D]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: J-D
nothing better then walking up to a spot where its dead and nobody's 'catching', then start flossing fish every cast. O_O

NO...

Nothing better than having your 8 yr old nephew walk up behind a stupid flosser standing crotch-deep in the middle of the Kenai... have the kid freespool his spoon just below the idiot who can't seem to get a bite.... and the younglin dam-near gets the rod ripped from his hands as a salmon attacks his spoon... "Uncle.... I GOT one!

The bewildered look of astonishment and disgust on the flosser's face was priceless. He'd been there all afternoon and hadn't hooked a single fish!

The only thing better is having your 5 yr old niece walk in right behind her brother to do it all over again.

LMFAO!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#909501 - 10/13/14 11:47 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: JTD]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish

lemme guess, quiggs property/rayonier hole area?

#909509 - 10/14/14 12:22 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Chum Man]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Sleeping bags work well too. If correctly deployed, should come back looking like a large pin cushion grin

#909719 - 10/15/14 07:35 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: flylikeIdo]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Sport fishing is a sport. The sport was originally designed to fool a fish into biting. No need to say more.

#909724 - 10/15/14 07:51 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: gooybob]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

So where does one draw the line between sport fishing and personal use or subsistence fishing?

Catch and release = sport, catch and keep = subsistence?

Much like the words flossing or evolution for an example, it seems that term (sport fishing) has many definitions. In one context it means everyone other than commercial fishermen. The way you use it here it would seem to mean anyone fishing for fun or enjoyment. I happen to find myself enjoying fishing for food sometimes, how do I classify that activity?

Going back to the origin of the pursuit at least, fishing, I seriously doubt the first person to try and catch a fish was thinking anything about fun. Trying to put something on the dinner table was the more than likely the priority.

I'm not playing the devils advocate here at all and am anti-snagging in any fishery that isn't solely for the sake of sustainable harvest, e.g. sockeye in AK.

As sport and/or subsistence fisherman we just need to be careful how we choose our words so we can make sure we are speaking the same language.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909728 - 10/15/14 08:22 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Since their hooking method does not require willful take, I do not accept flossers as part of the sportfishing community and never will.

If legal, they are part of the subsistence fishing community.
If not legal they are snaggers.

#909729 - 10/15/14 08:28 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I like those definitions. How many communities is one fisherman allowed to belong to?

How do we classify the guy that drags a gill net for work during the day, flosses sockeye in the afternoon, and swings spey flies on a floating line for rainbows in the evening?

Not sure if I have met him, but he is probably out there.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909733 - 10/15/14 08:38 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

How do we classify the guy that drags a gill net for work during the day, flosses sockeye in the afternoon, and swings spey flies on a floating line for rainbows in the evening?

This one would have some sort of mental condition.
Very likely eats live goldfish to entertain the folks down at the tavern.
Fish fear this fugger.

#909739 - 10/15/14 09:00 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

You can be a member of as many as you want...you just can't be a sportsfisherman while you are snagging, or using your gillnet.

Fish on...

Todd

#909740 - 10/15/14 09:05 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Todd]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Aha. So it's the activities and not necessarily the people we should be classifying? wink

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909741 - 10/15/14 09:07 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

It's both, at the same time.

Fishing...sportfisherman.

Gillnetting...commercial fisherman.

Snagging...douchebag.

See? Simple smile

The next step is this: If you are a commercial fisherman you don't go on sportfishing BBs and brag about all the fish you gillnetted...if you are a snagger you shouldn't, either...I'm sure they have douchebag boards for those guys that aren't about sportfishing wink

Fish on...

Todd

#909742 - 10/15/14 09:15 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Todd]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I'm beginning to understand all of this lingo.

What is a game fisherman then?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909744 - 10/15/14 09:16 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
milt roe Offline
Spawner

Loc: tacoma
Subsistence snagging is not sport fishing. There are no non native subsistence fisheries in the lower 48 unless i am missing something. Using the unfortunate AK sockeye example to justify that bull$hit down here doesnt pass muster. The rest who say it is OK if you keep the first two, or that it is Ok for non biters, check your ethics at the door and understand that you are no better than the guy on the Skok with the ladder.

#909745 - 10/15/14 09:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: milt roe]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: milt roe
Subsistence snagging is not sport fishing. There are no non native subsistence fisheries in the lower 48 unless i am missing something. Using the unfortunate AK sockeye example to justify that bull$hit down here doesnt pass muster. The rest who say it is OK if you keep the first two, or that it is Ok for non biters, check your ethics at the door and understand that you are no better than the guy on the Skok with the ladder.

X Many Zillions.

Being a snagger where it's not legal is kinda sad...pretending it's fishing is downright pathetic.

Fish on...

Todd

#909747 - 10/15/14 09:26 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Todd]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Flossing sockeye in AK is not legal as the rules are written.

When done for subsistence purposes is that an ethical pursuit or douchbaggery?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909749 - 10/15/14 09:27 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

If it's not legal then you have answered your own question to my satisfaction.

Fish on...

Todd

#909750 - 10/15/14 09:30 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: milt roe]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Originally Posted By: milt roe
and understand that you are no better than the guy on the Skok with the ladder.

I was always under the impression that the ladder guy on the skok was todd. frown

#909751 - 10/15/14 09:39 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: dwatkins]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

What is legal, the letter of the law, intent of the law, the way that enforcement decides to uphold the law?

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909752 - 10/15/14 10:00 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Riddle me this then, what is the ethical difference between flossing sockeye for subsistence purposes and say, hunting?

Setting aside the legal definition for a moment.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909753 - 10/15/14 10:03 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

The intent of the law would have to be the highest ground.
Letter of the law is subject to interpretation/spinning to suit one's needs.
Enforcement might be caught in the middle.

#909756 - 10/15/14 10:14 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Agreed in each case.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909757 - 10/15/14 10:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

That's a tough one.
There are cow only and spike only tags....those are meat hunters and would be similar to subsistence take of sockeye, IMO.

There are also 3 point or better tags...this would be more of a trophy hunt and different than blatant meat hunting.
The hunter may pass on some animals hoping for something bigger.

#909758 - 10/15/14 10:24 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

There are parallels in each case in the fishing world. Slot limits, letting the little ones go, trophy fisherman vs. meat fisherman etc.

Ever met a big or small game animal "willing" to take what you are offering? I have not.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909759 - 10/15/14 10:32 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Every met a big or small game animal "willing" to take what you are offering? I have not.

The pursuits are very different in that regard.
Also in fishing the angler can often choose to harvest the beast or not.

#909764 - 10/15/14 10:46 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Indeed. So again for aspiring sportsman out there, what is the ethical difference between harvesting unwilling fish and unwilling wildlife, assuming for a moment both are done within the confines of the law and the animals are treated as humanely as possible given the intent.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909765 - 10/15/14 10:47 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

I'd feel like sh1t if I caught and kept fish that I know didn't bite. But how ever you want to trick your mind that flossing is okay then by all means do it, whatever makes you sleep at night.

#909766 - 10/15/14 10:51 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: dwatkins]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

Meaning that if people (not you coley) are adding flossing under the veil of sportfishing.

#909767 - 10/15/14 10:58 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: dwatkins]
dwatkins Offline
I'm Idaho!

and if you are knowingly flossing it is the same to me as bowfishing for carp, not necessarily wrong, but never should be considered sport fishing as defined under the law.

#909779 - 10/16/14 12:45 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: dwatkins]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Would you consider yourself a hunter if you bust ass scouting on public land, locate a nice bull, get out there on opening day and spend two days tracking him and getting him close, and sticking him with a perfect shot with an arrow?

How about the same animal on a "guided" hunt on fenced land, where the "guide" knows the animal by name and drives you right to him on a 4 wheeler and you shoot it?

I'd barely consider the second scenario to be better than using a backhoe to pick up roadkill and putting it in the back of your truck...and it's still better than being a snagger. At least it's legal and you're not stealing the resource from real hunters.

Fish on...

Todd

#909796 - 10/16/14 11:39 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Todd]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Writer Roderick Haig-Brown said there is no sport without tradition, ethics, and restraint. It becomes rather subjective when we realize that different cultures have differing traditions, and people make up ethics as they go. The only restraint that occurs in flossing fish is stopping after catching one's limit.

#909802 - 10/16/14 01:04 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
Rocket Red Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Elma
Yesterday evening I went bank fishing with some friends. One of them is pretty new to fishing, he has just fished spinners and some eggs under a float out of my boat.

We were rolling eggs along the bottom with a split shot. The newer guy had his first experience of having a fresh king bear down on a gob of eggs. I watched the whole thing happen, it was so cool! First his look of confusion, then tensing up realizing it was a fish, then me yelling "that's him man, let it rip!".

That moment is what makes the whole thing. We had hundreds of fish running through our location, and flossing would have been super easy, but all I could think about was feeling that chomp.

#909817 - 10/16/14 03:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Rocket Red]
Steeldrifter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Pierce county
Originally Posted By: Rocket Red
Yesterday evening I went bank fishing with some friends. One of them is pretty new to fishing, he has just fished spinners and some eggs under a float out of my boat.

We were rolling eggs along the bottom with a split shot. The newer guy had his first experience of having a fresh king bear down on a gob of eggs. I watched the whole thing happen, it was so cool! First his look of confusion, then tensing up realizing it was a fish, then me yelling "that's him man, let it rip!".

That moment is what makes the whole thing. We had hundreds of fish running through our location, and flossing would have been super easy, but all I could think about was feeling that chomp.

Soooooooo True!

#909838 - 10/16/14 04:29 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
flylikeIdo Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Its the egg fishermen that are to blame. Keeping only hens so they can further their damage to the eco system just to get more eggs to keep more hens.

Should ban eggs and flossing. Artificial only in the name of future salmon.

#909851 - 10/16/14 06:55 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: flylikeIdo]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

Eggs are fine. Super fun to catch fish with eggs! smile If theyre taking wilds then its a serious issue. Although I will agree I think its pretty sick when people take fish just for the eggs.

#909858 - 10/16/14 07:39 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Indeed. So again for aspiring sportsman out there, what is the ethical difference between harvesting unwilling fish and unwilling wildlife, assuming for a moment both are done within the confines of the law and the animals are treated as humanely as possible given the intent.

They are different activities with their own traditions and ethics....hard to compare apples to apples.
However a hunting cheat called "ground sluicing" would be very equivalent to flossing fish.

An example of ground sluicing would be to decoy in a flock of geese and let them land.
Then the gunners open up and slaughter them in this less mobile condition.

The infamous Market Hunters were ground sluicers.
They would let loose a fusillade of large bore shotgun fire onto rafts of ducks resting on the water at night.

#909867 - 10/16/14 08:18 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I guess these things called ethics are what intrigue me in the conversation.

Forgive my somewhat facetious and certainly introspective questions.

When I hear someone say "it's OK to do this, but not do that" I can't help but wonder, "but why." Whether or not they are right and/or I agree often comes down to their intent and/or how they go about articulating their position.

Ethics. What are they, how do they form, and how are (or should) the differences between ethical and unethical be articulated.

Back to the hunting - fishing comparison, people would seem to be the biggest variable between the two. People in this instance meaning the culture and traditions that have grown up around each pursuit. The people and their (our) biases are far more apples to oranges than say a fish is to waterfowl and vice versa.

From a purely subsistence based perspective, wild fish and game are merely different forms of protein inhabiting different terrain in the great outdoors.

I like this fair chase concept and think it can be well applied in each case. Who wants to take a stab at defining that smile

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909874 - 10/16/14 09:30 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

And one of the things I am trying to highlight is that there is a difference between sport and subsistence. Feeding ones self and family isn't a recreational pursuit and the satisfaction, if there is some to be had, comes from succeeding at putting food on the table.

The vast majority of folks flossing sockeye up here are doing so with that (food) being their highest priority.

Holding subsistence pursuits and recreation to the same set of ethics get back to that whole apples oranges thing.

As for trophy hunters, I struggle to find anything "ethical" about those that take lives for the sole purpose of wall decorations and bragging rights.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909883 - 10/17/14 01:03 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

So... what about the people that have posted here their disdain for flossing then go to AK and floss up a limit of sockeye? It isn't for subsistence. Flexible ethics? And who gave anyone here the right to define what is ethical and what isn't? At the end of the day, all of us are dragging a live fish in by a hook in its mouth and in many cases killing it...how can someone sit back and decide one way is more ethical than the other? Hypocracy, irony and a hint of humor all rolled into one...

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/17/14 01:06 AM)

#909891 - 10/17/14 08:16 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
So... what about the people that have posted here their disdain for flossing then go to AK and floss up a limit of sockeye? It isn't for subsistence. Flexible ethics? And who gave anyone here the right to define what is ethical and what isn't? At the end of the day, all of us are dragging a live fish in by a hook in its mouth and in many cases killing it...how can someone sit back and decide one way is more ethical than the other? Hypocracy, irony and a hint of humor all rolled into one...

Aren't all laws based on someone's ethics?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#909905 - 10/17/14 12:35 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I don't think asking who shapes ethics and laws is a stupid question at all. Both tend to change over time and so clearly someone is shaping this refinement process if that is indeed what is happening, though I agree that morally and ethically as a whole we seem to be sliding down a slippery slope regardless of quality of content of the law books. I would also submit that there have been plenty of unethical laws on the books throughout history as well.

One of the ways that ethics are shaped is through constructive conversations like I was hoping this one might continue to be.

I am still waiting for your preferred definition of fair chase KK. I know there are a few versions out there and even more interpretations thereof.

I am not trying to support the notion that any means are justified for a given end. I am however saying that intent may justify some means that are not ethical for all or other intents and it is with great caution I offer that. If you can't tell already, as someone who would like to think of himself as an ethical sportsman, I've struggled with this issue a lot over the years and still do.

A few questions still lingering in my mind:

1. Is flossing Alaskan sockeye for subsistence purposes ethical or unethical and more importantly, why.

2. If unethical, what is the ethical difference between harvesting unwilling fish and unwilling wildlife if fair chase standards, sustainable harvest, and humane methods are applied, again with subsistence being the intent.

3. Which is the more ethical means to harvest sockeye for personal use, flossing or dipnetting, why.

Before we get into the legal vs. illegal vacuum again, both the intent and enforcement of the way the snagging law is written in AK do not target flossing sockeye as an illegal activity, therefore by default flossing sockeye is done withing the confines of the law as applied.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909907 - 10/17/14 12:59 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Are you answering me or NorCal john?

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#909908 - 10/17/14 12:59 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Nor Cal Drifter Offline
Spawner

As Coley pointed out, flossing is not illegal in AK (Sockeye) and some would argue it's not illegal in the lower 48. So you need to stop hanging your hat on the legal argument (Jerry, KK, Todd) and begin to have the ethics discussion. I sense that makes you uncomfortable which is why you keep going back to the legal question...because when it comes down to ethics you don't have anything but your personal opinion to fall back on, and who's gonna listen to that, right?

I'm gonna sign off on this discussion - there's no right or wrong, just opinion, and everyone is entitled to that. I've been on this board long enough to know none of you will change your mind and some enjoy bashing people with opinions other than your own. My final thought - I consider myself a very ethical angler, a great steward of the resource, and the best ally you will have as we continue to fight to save our fisheries. I also have flossed fish before - intentionally. If you can't wrap your head around those characteristics and actions co-existing in one person, I feel sorry for you and for the resource that suffers from the inability of fishermen to get past this petty, ego-driven BS and focus on what's important. I'm out.

Edited by Nor Cal Drifter (10/17/14 01:00 PM)

#909911 - 10/17/14 01:19 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

When you floss/snag you catch way more fish by parts of their body than you do in the mouth. Not only that you tear up a lot of fish in the process. So dont give us that non-sense!!! At the end of the day... thats the difference! I dont and never will snag anywhere... even alaska where its legal.

#909916 - 10/17/14 01:38 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

You're getting deep there Coley. A lot of internet fishing forums can't handle that much thinking.

Fishing regulations are the result of interpretations of state law. State law is the product of the collective prevailing social values in morals, ethics, and social mores. Social values vary from culture to culture, and that results in some of the fish and wildlife clashes with newer immigrants who don't see anything wrong in taking as many fish or crabs or clams as they can, nor do they understand the concept of minimum size limits.

The concept of fair chase in sport fishing is usually taken to mean that a fish willingly takes a bait or lure in its mouth. That is why flossing is so often interpreted as snagging, because by technical definition, that's what it is.

Fishing for subsistence is fundamentally different than fishing for sport. Commercial fishing is a social extension of subsistence fishing in the way that farming is a social extension of personal gardening. So commercial fishing is allowed to use methods that are more efficient than those generally allowed for personal subsistence or for sport fishing. Fishing for subsistence is different in intent from sport fishing, so the rule of fair chase generally doesn't prevail in subsistence fishing. Subsistence methods of snagging, flossing, dipnetting, fish wheel, and short set gillnet are all equally ethical, if legal.

A friend of mine was a NPS ranger not far from your area some years ago. Although he and his family didn't "need" subsistence sockeye in order to survivve, the fish were abundant, and he was allowed to use a fish wheel to harvest personal use sockeye for a brief period of time as part of a community fishing effort. It was legal, and it was all about harvesting sockeye for the freezer and smoker, had nothing whatever to do with sport, and was and still is within the sideboards of sustainable fish management.

Compared to the lower 48, Alaska is pretty much a foreign country, with its own culture, ethics, and social mores. I think it is the only US state that permits and regulates "subsistence" hunting and fishing. Everywhere else those activities are regulated as recreational activities, so we have sportfishing regulations and no subsistence fishing regulations in WA state, for instance. I don't know, but suspect the same is true in CA.

The conflict, to the extent it exists, comes from trying to pound the square peg of flossing into the round hole of sportfishing regulations that abide by the concept of fair chase, and it clearly does not fit. Unlike AK, most flosseries occur in the Pacific coast states in or near hatchery blood holes, terminal fishing areas where large numbers of hatchery origin fish accumulate. The flossing technique isn't effective enough to bother with in most other locations, excepting odd numbered years when hordes of pink salmon are migrating up Puget Sound rivers.

Flossing is controversial in these areas because it is deliberate snagging, not sport fishing. Yet it occurs under the poor fitting umbrella of sport fishing. It wouldn't be difficult to ban most flossing by imposing a maximum leader length of 24" in the locations and times where and when flossing is prevalent. However, it generally wouldn't serve the fishery management interest of maximizing the harvest of hatchery salmon by banning an effective fishing technique. So it presently exists as a fish management conundrum, maximize angler days of recreation, maximize the harvest of surplus hatchery fish, and still regulate sport fishing. It might make more legal and ethical sense to regulate those areas and times as subsistence fisheries. An inherent problem is that most participants likely would not care enough to understand the difference and comply with more restrictive regulations when flossing wasn't permitted.

Fish management in this region is complex. There are no easy answers.

Next I expect you may go all philosophical and inquire about the rationalization for CNR fisheries. How are they justified by social values, morals, ethics, and mores? That's a fun one, too.

Sg

#909917 - 10/17/14 01:43 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Define subsistence....

Is it ' without this food I or my family may starve', or is it ' theres plenty of easy pickings here and while I have a job, and my family is in no danger of starving I'm a gonna get all I can'

For many rural Alaskans, especially those natives in remote villages. It can be argued the former comes into play.

For tourists on the Kenai, not so much.

I was wondering if that question would come up and I am glad it did. This is a much debated topic, as you are certainly aware, and yes there is a huge difference between rural/village subsistence and those that "want" fish rather than "need" it to survive.

Don't get me started on the Kenai tourists that fly in, load up a bunch of coolers and fly back to Texas to leave the fish to rot in a freezer for years or give it away as party favors.

I can tell you how I apply the subsistence concept in my life and what I mean by it. Salmon is an important part of what I consider a healthy diet and the most cost effective and responsible way for me to provide that is to catch it.

In years past when king and coho runs supported harvesting the amount of salmon we want and I would argue need for our annual diet, I didn't need to harvest sockeye. More recently, with declining king and coho runs, it hasn't been possible or responsible to harvest the fish we need for personal use and so I have looked to sockeye fishing to fill in the gap.

Would we starve if we didn't have wild fish and game to subsist on, certainly not, but I would much rather put my dollars and effort into sustainable wild protein than buy something from the store with an unknown history. I believe this is both healthy and responsible and the way the "system" is meant to work, responsible, local harvest. I don't take more than we need.

The only two reasonable options for personal use harvest of sockeye are flossing and dipnetting.

Don't get me wrong. I hate every second I spend trying to floss a sockeye. Nothing about it resembles fishing as I enjoy it. Not too mention the environment of combat and less usually less than enjoyable company. I'd like few things more than to not "have" to participate in this fishery.

Agreed on your points about intent.

The problem of snagging fish other than in the mouth while attempting to floss is easily solvable through technique and tackle.

See Doc's treatise on circle hooks.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909918 - 10/17/14 01:47 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Excellent summary Salmo.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909922 - 10/17/14 01:57 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Kenai Sockeye = Glorified Pink.

#909924 - 10/17/14 02:03 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: fish4brains]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I really feel like a group hug is in order.

Not sure anything substantive can be added at this point.

You can have my sockeye KK, but you'll have to come over for dinner to get it.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909926 - 10/17/14 02:18 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

I flossed it, does that bother you?

And the same offer applies, gotta come to dinner to get it.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

#909934 - 10/17/14 04:06 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
Dan S. Offline

Originally Posted By: norcalsnagger
As Coley pointed out, flossing is not illegal in AK (Sockeye) and snaggers would argue it's not illegal in the lower 48.

typo

#909936 - 10/17/14 04:16 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: ]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Depends....

What was your intent ?

Was it a hatchery moose ?

Holiday Inn Express or Red Lion?

#909997 - 10/17/14 08:30 PM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Nor Cal Drifter]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

As Coley pointed out, flossing is not illegal in AK (Sockeye) and some would argue it's not illegal in the lower 48.

I'm gonna sign off on this discussion - there's no right or wrong, just opinion, and everyone is entitled to that.
My final thought - I consider myself a very ethical angler, a great steward of the resource, and the best ally you will have as we continue to fight to save our fisheries. I also have flossed fish before - intentionally.

And yes, I used the words ethical and flossed in the same paragraph.
Dammit, I wish you bastages would just love me for who I am.

I'm out.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass.

#910040 - 10/18/14 12:20 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Direct-Drive]
Roy Otis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

$400 dollar rod-check
$200 dollar reel-check
Simms gear from head to toe-check
9 foot leader-check
tuft of yarn (black or purple)-check
hefty rip each and every cast after approx. 3-5 seconds-check
multiple foul hooked fish, one after another until the triumphant cry of..................it's in the face, on the head, whatever.....priceless!

The long and the short of it is this...THE FISH NEEDS TO TAKE THE HOOK, NOT THE HOOK TAKING THE FISH!
It seems easy to cast your glance on the guy with the white or yellow 7 foot broom handle rod with the oversized spinning reel, but in reality they are the minority. When you stand back and observe at the Skok, Satsop, Hump, or anywhere else where kings and silvers congregate in freshwater in our fine State, what you actually see is the first eight lines of this post. If your hucking a gob of lead and 9 foot of leader your one of them. It is remarkable to me that the same guys that you see doing the 5 second rip on salmon are the same guys that are carefully dissecting water and working hard for a bite come steelhead season. In a boat or on the bank, they fish jigs under a float, drift eggs, pull plugs and set the hook when necessary, not as a matter of routine each and every cast in hopes of finally getting one somewhere from the gill plate forward. Flossing (gentleman snagging as some refer to it) is a joke. You can dress it up and justify it any way you want but if you think it is legit or sporting (in WA), you are our of touch. Let the fish take the hook (offering) not the other way around.

#910051 - 10/18/14 08:39 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Roy Otis]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i started noticing a lot more of those types once the gigantic runs of slimers started to take off in the puyallup. they got a lot of people interested in "fishing" and then they branched out. it seems to be an I5 corridor thing but unfortunately it's branching out.

confront them about it and they get massively offended, after all that's how they learned to fish and we must just be some damned elitists.

there's always been snaggers lurking around, especially at hatchery holes but these guys are something worse, because they're dishonest about their methods.

#910905 - 10/24/14 12:36 AM Re: Flossing: It's the California way [Re: Chum Man]
Roy Otis Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Open invitation to flossers.......Move to AK or CA. Carry on.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 410 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |