Three Rivers Marine

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#915608 - 12/15/14 10:25 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Carcassman]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
It seems to me that back in the sixties, the Skagit had the equivalent of three hatcheries operating, or possibly more...but I don't know for sure.

Quote:
I believe the Director said two years for the EIS itself.

One guy at NOAA to do all 100+ plans.
two years = 500 work days.
Less than 5 days per plan.
Start the Skagit today - finish by Friday. smile

Why would we have to wait on the other 99 to fish the Skagit?

#915609 - 12/15/14 10:32 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: _WW_]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
But in the 60s there were separate agencies and hatchery systems. WDF ran the salmon hatcheries and WDG the steelhead. I think the Barnaby Slough operation was the only steelhead facility, but Smalma would know for sure.

#915610 - 12/15/14 11:32 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
I added the remaining 15 Rivers, that were in the article. Now remember, that there are many rivers that aren't listed.

People didn't have to go far from where they lived to fish for steelhead AND chances of catching a fish were very good.

Doc-----because you "are young"....I remember the Humptulips, had a 3 fish limit, at the upper train bridge, xmas time of the year, there would be what seemed like 100+ fishermen and steelhead stacked on the bank.

Not many boats, in those days.......and access to the river for bankies was about everywhere.....from the Forks clear to tide water. If you weren't a drift fisherman....seemed that much of the lower part of the river had plunker places that always had people there.

Glad I got to fish.....THE OLD DAYS.......

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#915616 - 12/15/14 01:04 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Carcassman]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

We would float the hump in 79 and it was still a great fishery all the way through 90, many days we would put in below the 101 bridge and be done by the railroad bridge. Those early 80's where special for me, I can only emagine what the 60's where like.

#915617 - 12/15/14 01:20 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Bent Metal]
Met'lheadMatt Offline
Spawner

How about Broodstocking the early portion of the run, to try to get more returners prior to the nets going in. You may not like the idea of broodstocking, but it will surely yield a better return then 1-1.25.

We always bring up nets and the WDFW and what are they going do. The fish are split 50-50. Have our member organizations, set down with the tribes and tried to make a better situation.
Maybe upper river boundries, if they make it past this line they are not to be harrased, or limit both net and fishing days on the water per week. They, like us understand that 50% of nothing is nothing...
If we can't get the nets out of the water, we need to work with them to make a more viable situation, concessions on both side need to be made

#915690 - 12/15/14 08:39 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Smalma]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Smalma
Those pre mid-1970s sport catch estimates have been pretty well accepted as being somewhat inflated. They were based on punch card returns (successful anglers much more likely to return their cards). Numerous studies have fund that actual harvest general are only 50 to 60% of those based on punch card returns.

Regardless there were lots more fish harvest 50 years ago than today. There were not efforts to separate hatchery and wild fish (a fish was a fish).

Curt

You mean "The great hatchery hoax"! Every fish that came from returned cards were multiplied by a multiplier that changed from year to year. Sometimes 2x. Like Smalma said, still lots more around then.

#915697 - 12/15/14 09:41 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

R&G,

It wasn't a hoax. There was no perceived need for steelhead data for a long time, let alone precise or accurate data. So when someone asked what the steelhead catch was, they did the simple math, multiplying the catch on returned cards by the total number of cards sold. The usual multiplier was three point something. Then, after US v WA, more accurate catch data was needed because the treaty fishing tribes intended to harvest 50% of some number. That was when WDG needed a very good number for the steelhead catch and the projected steelhead return based on hatchery plants. At that time there was zero data regarding wild steelhead run sizes, but that soon changed.

And yes, there were way more steelhead, hatchery and wild, around then.

Sg

#915699 - 12/15/14 09:54 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Salmo g.]
DrifterWA Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
SG:

If punch card data is important.....why not require all punch cards be returned?????

The computer age makes this very easy.....no returned card

1. Charge a fee for each card not returned

2. No license until #1 is paid.

Might not be the complete answer BUT sure better than what is done now...IMO

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#915703 - 12/15/14 10:10 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: DrifterWA]
River Nutrients

Requiring all cards to be returned would require that WDFW hire sufficient staff to process them.

"Back in the Day" WDG/W used to get the season estimate, from the just concluded season, out to the public by mid-summer/fall, if memory serves. They did this with two people doing the analysis. Obviously, given the delays we see now they would need how many people to match what was accomplished in the pre-computer age.

#915705 - 12/15/14 10:12 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Carcassman]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
If they can manage to charge me $10 when I report my crab catch a day late they can manage to charge me $10, or $20, or whatever if I fail to report my steelhead catch, too.

The best thing, of course, would be to allow online reporting of all of our punchcard data.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#915710 - 12/15/14 10:55 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Todd]
speymont Offline
Fry

Edited by speymont (12/15/14 11:01 PM)

#915711 - 12/15/14 10:56 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: speymont]
speymont Offline
Fry

Edited by speymont (12/15/14 10:57 PM)

#915714 - 12/15/14 11:03 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: speymont]
River Nutrients

Oh, they could do it. But there are higher priorities.

#915715 - 12/15/14 11:16 PM Re: What would you do? [Re: Carcassman]
FishDoctor Offline
Spawner

Not an easy fix, but pollution is what is killing most of the PS Steelhead. The toxins in our waters need to be cleaned up, pollution standards are too lax in my opinion. The fish will not recover until PS is cleaned up, and that is a HUGE problem.

#915740 - 12/16/14 07:19 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
R&G,

It wasn't a hoax. There was no perceived need for steelhead data for a long time, let alone precise or accurate data. So when someone asked what the steelhead catch was, they did the simple math, multiplying the catch on returned cards by the total number of cards sold. The usual multiplier was three point something. Then, after US v WA, more accurate catch data was needed because the treaty fishing tribes intended to harvest 50% of some number. That was when WDG needed a very good number for the steelhead catch and the projected steelhead return based on hatchery plants. At that time there was zero data regarding wild steelhead run sizes, but that soon changed.

And yes, there were way more steelhead, hatchery and wild, around then.

Sg

Was referencing a Salmon Trout Steelheader Magazine article written about this subject. I think back in the late 80's. The article exposed how catch numbers were inflated. Not that the sportsman was being decieved. Out of inner circles, it was never really known how the Dept. of Game came up with the numbers back then.

#915741 - 12/16/14 07:20 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: FishDoctor]
River Nutrients

One of the realities is that it took us 150 years to get to this point and we want it fixed before the next election. Our attention span is simply too short to fix anything major.

#915745 - 12/16/14 08:20 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Carcassman]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i don't know about that, unless you're referring that it was 150 years of screwing things up that gets us to this point. i think that if we could even put things back the way they were 20 years ago, most of us would consider it to be a resounding success.

#915747 - 12/16/14 08:24 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Chum Man]
RB3 Offline
Repeat Spawner

Just make an STS game on the wii. Snag and floss away. Create different modes when you can be a co-manager or even dictate plant numbers as wdfw's supreme steelhead czar. Wholesome family fun for all ages.

Edited by RB3 (12/16/14 08:30 AM)

#915773 - 12/16/14 10:29 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Chum Man]
River Nutrients

Set the bar low enough and even WDFW can get over it.

20 years ago was the beginnings of the listings in WA.

#915787 - 12/16/14 11:51 AM Re: What would you do? [Re: Carcassman]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Set the bar low enough and even WDFW can get over it.

20 years ago was the beginnings of the listings in WA.

CM, time really does fly when your having fun, doesn't it?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (Carcassman), 794 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |