THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#929340 - 05/07/15 03:56 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: stam
but...who's counting.

Jonas and Edgar.....fawk roll me a pinner cuz.

Edited by Sol Duc (05/07/15 03:58 PM)

- Albert Einstein.

#929411 - 05/07/15 08:28 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: ]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

What blows me away is how sensitive fish runs are. Seems like yesterday when the Sky was choked full with Chum Salmon, now that run seems almost depleted.....it's crazy. eek

- Albert Einstein.

#929422 - 05/07/15 11:01 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
Keta Offline
Repeat Spawner

Ya,the chum runs were certainly sensitive to the price of ikura.

#929428 - 05/08/15 06:07 AM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
CraigO Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Lake Stevens
I definately don't get out as much but it could due to the fact all my favorite rivers are closed that time of year. I will continue to fish if I get those opportunities again, these fish are just awesome and I can't see myself stopping. Yakutat here I come

#929437 - 05/08/15 08:14 AM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
1968 - 2015.....

Early years, lots of wild and hatchery steelhead....fished all the rivers within 80 miles of where I live, but I was MUCH YOUNG and could do the walk in to places that many wouldn't walk to.

Can actual say, have not fished North of Humptulips in 20+ years. Do I miss the Hoh, the Queets, the upper Quinault ???? sure I do, but memories I have from the good days are still in my memory banks.

My local rivers, while I still fish them, have been taken over by the I5'ers and ohhhhhhhhhh so many guides. Nice to be able to fish during the week, gets away from some of the pressure.

Memories are good......just don't taste very good!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#929439 - 05/08/15 08:26 AM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

#929445 - 05/08/15 09:20 AM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
WDFW X 1 + 0

Thanks.......those 2 together was great and that song, one of my favorites....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#929451 - 05/08/15 09:47 AM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

I agree!!
Sent it to me mommy for mothers day.
She called me crying. smile

At true classic with both of them in their prime.

#929463 - 05/08/15 10:45 AM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
Originally Posted By: Sol Duc
What blows me away is how sensitive fish runs are. Seems like yesterday when the Sky was choked full with Chum Salmon, now that run seems almost depleted.....it's crazy. eek

Sensitive? Pretty hard for chum to reproduce when they've been netter to historic low numbers. Set a low bar, and there's not much room for error.

#929526 - 05/08/15 04:48 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
Dub Offline
Returning Adult

Hell, I am thinking of buying a bass boat.

#929550 - 05/08/15 08:26 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Dub]
Bent Metal Offline
Carcass

Loc: Sky River(WA) Clearwater(Id)
Originally Posted By: Dub

Wouldn't go that far. grin

With neighboring states producing quality fisheries, I'm lucky to get 4-5 days a winter targeting nates on Puget sound rivers. Dont feel the desire to put anymore stress on a limited resource. Started fishing the Sky just as it was starting to fade. Lots of great memories... Wish we could have a turn the clock back day. Guess I'll have to settle with fresh hatch springers for now......

#929557 - 05/08/15 08:47 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: wntrrn]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

Originally Posted By: wntrrn

Sensitive? Pretty hard for chum to reproduce when they've been netter to historic low numbers. Set a low bar, and there's not much room for error.

Sensitive was the wrong word.

- Albert Einstein.

#929561 - 05/08/15 10:00 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Dub]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Dub

Whoa whoa whao.... lets not let this thing get out of hand now, people talkin crazy like.

#929572 - 05/09/15 07:06 AM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
Wild Chrome Offline
Spawner

Loc: The Tailout
If I wanted to really limit my impact on wild fish, I would just fly fish. On the rivers I fish, numbers are pretty stable. I've caught a couple dozen this year; have not had a bleeder or fish I suspected wouldn't make it. I think avoiding bait and using smaller hooks does a lot to limit impact. Hook size seems to get little attention in this arena, but I think it's a factor.

Wild steelhead are a superior sport fish IMHO.

#929592 - 05/09/15 04:10 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
Salmo_Gairdneri Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Snohomish
I have been struggling over this for a few years now. I can't with good conscience target our beautiful wild Steelhead any more. This decision is not an easy one to make. I've had my share of fun for 25 years and caught my share of fish. I just don't want to be part of the problem. I don't buy the mortality rate numbers that the "experts" have come up with. I don't really care fishing for brats, but I'm sure that will fit the bill when I want a tug. I can see more trips to Yakutat in the future. I'm not preaching to anyone who wants to fish for Nates, just venting. Does anyone else feel this way?

Joined you in 2007. Feel the same way.

I'm pretty much all salt all the time these days. Maybe a fresh water day or two for winter hatchery steelhead on the skykomish, a few days down on the hump in the fall with a buddy and that's it.

My sled gets very very few hrs these days.

-t

Edited by Salmo_Gairdneri (05/09/15 04:13 PM)

#929596 - 05/09/15 06:36 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Salmo g.]
Eric Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
I don't feel this way. Oh, I find it plenty depressing that the state of our fisheries has come to this situation. And I used to have a reverence for steelhead that exceeded my interest for all other species. Then I came to realize that I'm just a steelhead addict, and that steelhead are just another salmonid. The things that makes steelhead special is that they are usually the least abundant salmonid, and they take artificial flies better than salmon do, but not any better than cutthroat and bull trout.

Although fishing regulations still allow wild steelhead retention on the OP, a survey report I recently read inidicated that only 3% of the wild steelhead caught were killed and retained. This makes CNR incidental mortality the primary sport fishing impact on wild steelhead. Who'da' thunk that 20 years ago? The upshot is that sport fishing mortality barely registers as a factor affecting wild steelhead abundance in WA state. I'm not saying that incidental mortality from CNR fishing doesn't matter; rather I'm saying that at this point it doesn't appear to have enough of an effect to be affecting population abundance.

The crowds of steelhead anglers have a more degrading effect on the quality of the steelhead fishing experience than they do on the wild steelhead resource. What that means for the future is that management of recreational steelhead fisheries is more about social engineering than it is about steelhead ecology and meeting spawning escapement objectives.

I still fish for wild steelhead. And I will continue to do so as long as I find satisfaction in doing so. I've long since selected a fishing method that limits my direct impact on the resource. If the time comes where I have reason to believe that my impact is having an adverse effect on the resource in terms of reducing population abundance, I'll quit. However, I expect that the continuing reduction in the quality of the angling experience will drive me away from steelhead fishing before the lack of steelhead does.

Sg

My own opinion comes pretty close to this.

I'm still willing to bushwhack remote areas that keeps me acquainted with these fish just enough to keep the interest there. Fishermen are few and impacts are low where I go but I don't go near as much in winter as I used to either…..partly due to epic crowds and limited options(river choices) but also because as I get older I just don't need a fish bad enough to get out of a warm bed at 3 in the morning in 35 degree rain on a January day only to play bumper boats down the river.

More and more, summer and fall fisheries are where it's at for me.

#929628 - 05/10/15 01:37 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
skyrise Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: snohomish, wa
Don't see any reason to stop fishing. My limited time on the water won't affect a thing. Plus using the bug rod most of the time is even less of an impact. if the WDFW could do more good just by making it mandatory statewide to release wild steelhead then it would be start. But they are stuck in the same old game. Make few happy & the heck with the rest.

#929671 - 05/10/15 10:43 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I'm jacked to go steelhead fishing. Getting prepared to go after some chrome bright hatchery summeruns for an extended Memorial Day weekend. I live for this and love this time of year. Haven't fished since the end of last year when I caught some winter brats and released a nice wild hen. I don't target wild fish. Usually leave them alone this time of year when they are spawning.

#929673 - 05/11/15 01:55 AM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Steelheadman]
Sol Duc Offline
April Fool

applause

- Albert Einstein.

#929850 - 05/12/15 05:05 PM Re: This is really eating at me..anyone feel this way? [Re: Sol Duc]
gooybob Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
After over 50 years of steelhead fishing I too am wondering if fishing for wild steelhead is right. There are so many factors that have discouraged me including targeting wild fish. The overcrowding, poaching, netting etc. It's all a cluster fawk and I'm sick of it. Sadly there are still groups out there that will be more than happy to fish them out if given the chance. One of course is the tribes. The tribes have already asked for more wild fish since the sport fisherman is releasing them. Such intelligent thinking.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Carcassman, 1 invisible), 1335 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |