Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#930187 - 05/16/15 11:26 PM Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Opted out of chasing shiny pretty ones on the big river today and made the decision to chase ugly brown ones in the big blue pond. First ocean voyage for 2015 on the F/V eyeFISH paid off handsomely.

Superstar in the rockfish category was JesseM. Amongst the dozen or so dinker throw backs and the dozen or so keepers, the boy clearly came out on top. Check out this brute!

But ALAS.... Poseidon would soon snuff out his fire as the chop and swell crescendoed to the point where even his precautionary morning dose of Dramamine was rendered utterly ineffective. Down for the count! sick

Good thing he brought his lovely lady Katie along to pick up the slack as we ventured even FURTHER off shore for even bigger and uglier brown critters. (Yeah, I guess ya find out who yer friends are!) First pass and looky what she bounced up as he lay slumped over in misery....

Lings and big bass continued to hammer our bounced goods seemingly at will.... and who were we to argue? No complaints from f4b....

Even the captain managed to luck into one...

Friggin' FAT-head...

Ms Katie later hooked THE monster ling of the day. Much to her dismay, the critter's massive headshakes and bulldogged determination would eventually earn the unseen leviathan its freedom.

It didn't take much longer for our hotspot to literally BLOW UP... and after taking a good wet one over the transom, we decided to retreat to calmer, more sheltered water. Couple more passes and a few more keeper sized bass and we were content to call it a day. (JesseM, "Lawd have muh'cy, Hallelujah!")

Finished the fishing day by hauling up 7 keeper creepy crawly's out of several dozen in the pots for the evening feast. Pulled out of W'port and ran back to town to deliver some ocean love gifts to a chosen few before heading back for the barn. This is what the team eventually kept for ourselves.

After the requisite cleanup after a good salty excursion, a fine meal was prepared and enjoyed by all. Well.... except for the GLARING absence of crab butter for the captain (GD domoic acid alert!).

Should have been in bed an hour ago after a near-instantaneous case of food coma, but a few moments on the keyboard quickly summoned that dreaded "second wind". Hope it was worthwhile.

Tight lines all.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#930188 - 05/17/15 06:49 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Fun day. With seasickness you have to get better to die.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#930191 - 05/17/15 08:28 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Those are some of my favorite days.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#930192 - 05/17/15 08:41 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: Todd]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Some goods eats right there.

Last time I got seasick I was skeered I wasn't gonna die! I am older and smarter now and will not go out on the ocean again.

At least I hope I NEVER DO,

fp

#930197 - 05/17/15 10:00 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Nice! Fun kind of fishing, for sure. Much better in mild conditions, in my opinion, but as long as they're biting, it's all good.

Jealous of what must have been a great meal (and a pretty good time, too.)

#930222 - 05/17/15 09:44 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Twitch Offline
The Beav

Loc: Oregon Central Coast
Nice jig head! wink

#930223 - 05/17/15 09:50 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: Twitch]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
My kid turned green and puked out there, too, Doc. rofl

To tell the truth, I was feeling a little green myself by the time we got back to the dock.

Nice haul you got there.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#930225 - 05/18/15 12:42 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Good to see you and TD out there, Dan. Figured it must have been "lights out to limits" fishing when you guys were already headed in as we were just departing.

Calmer conditions prevailed today. Jumped over to King Katosan's boat ALL OUT and found a few more brown uglies.... including a big FLAT half-white one.

And to think I ALMOST missed out on the halibut season for 2015.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#930226 - 05/18/15 07:33 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Yum.

Fish on...

Todd

#930228 - 05/18/15 08:26 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
Part of that Butt looks familiar.
Thanks,

fp

#930233 - 05/18/15 10:53 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
I don't think Shawn is that ugly.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#930247 - 05/18/15 06:42 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

I think you did better than we did, Doc. I felt bad about leaving the kid at the truck, and I was half green myself, so we called it a day earlier than we would have otherwise. Figures we'd pick the day the water was so rough to giver 'er a go.

I'm too old to put up with turning green to bring fish home. smile

#930254 - 05/18/15 08:00 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: Dan S.]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Pukers are useful....bonus bag limit.

grin

#930257 - 05/18/15 08:11 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Dan S. Offline

It was funny. The night before we left, his mom said "you'd better take some Dramamine if you're going out on the ocean".

He scoffed and said "OK, mommy." And went about his business.

When he was puking over the rail, I said "Your mom is going to love this." rofl

#930258 - 05/18/15 08:14 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: Dan S.]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
1 meclizine the night before, 2 in the morning.

#930268 - 05/18/15 10:26 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

This Ornamental went totally "haole boy" with tonight's dinner preparation of the fishy weekend groceries. Not a speck of ginger, green onion, black bean, or rice on the menu. (OMFG, my mom is rolling in her grave!)

Broiled halibut collar and cheeks, dipped in lemon garlic butter... tomato cucumber salad... broiled asparagus spears...toasted French bread.

I think my slanty eyes grew three sizes in the first three bites!

Food coma setting in as I type... and I swear I'm hitting the sack before that dreaded second wind kicks in.

Man am I glad I RARELY get sea-sick.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#930273 - 05/19/15 07:25 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Haole or not...that sounds pretty damned good.

I, too, feel blessed that I have never been sea sick...the sufferers I have been around on boats are some of the most wretched and pitiable people I have ever seen...if it's half as bad as it looks then it is really bad.

Fish on...

Todd

#930328 - 05/19/15 09:31 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
Dan S. Offline

I was on a charter boat once when this poor lady got sick, puked, and then spent the next couple hours rolling around on the deck in a mixture of vomit, fish blood and scales, and herring guts. She couldn't even get up to move herself inside, and nobody wanted to touch her in the condition she was in.

She was lucky the bite was hot and the boat limited in a pretty short time span so her misery was short-lived.

When she started puking, it caused a chain reaction down that side of the boat and really opened up some space. One guy hacked up what looked like an unchewed half a pancake.

I usually take Dramamine because I'm scared to find out if I'm one of "those people". That's not a risk I want to take, because I've seen the results.

#930329 - 05/19/15 10:15 PM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: eyeFISH]
bk paige Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: On the Sky
I' m a puker in the big blue, dosent stop me one bit. Puke n rally, when I was a kid it was the worst thing ever. After puking several thousand time its no big deal. Dads boats where nicknamed the "barf a lot" because of me!!! About 12 I finally got my see legs for Puget Sound, but still get sick in the big blue. Dranimine , patches nothing works just makes ya stronger. Only time in the big blue that I didn't get sick was in Costa Rica, flat as a pancake.
Puke n rally!!!

#930338 - 05/20/15 06:52 AM Re: Brown UGLY's and 10-legged creepy crawly's [Re: Todd]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Todd

I, too, feel blessed that I have never been sea sick...the sufferers I have been around on boats are some of the most wretched and pitiable people I have ever seen...if it's half as bad as it looks then it is really bad.

Fish on...

Todd

It's that bad, believe me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |