Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#928957 - 05/03/15 12:37 PM Buzzbomb question
Sal Fario Offline
Fry

Here's what typically happens when I tie on a buzzbomb.

I tie on the hook, then remember you have to put the lure and bumper on the line first. So I cut off the hook and do it right the second time.

That's not to say the same mistakes can't be repeated when I change colors/weights.

And the bumper doesn't easily come out of the tackle box with my fat fingers. And then it gets dropped in the sand/gravel or between the floor and hull of the boat, never to be seen again.

I'm thinking of tying them on a short section of mono with a duolock. But what is the best length, both for fishing and to fit easily in the tackle box?

Or is there a better way to deal with these things?

#928959 - 05/03/15 02:58 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Theyre great for trolling. smile

#928960 - 05/03/15 03:44 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Braided wire to length with crimped swivels on each end. Dress the business end per normal. Duo lock on main line for quick change overs. Pre-built wired bombs are easy; bullet proof and a good winter project.

#928964 - 05/03/15 05:17 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: NickD90]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
When you said braided wire I am (assuming) that you meant multistrand wire. I have used wire for fishing purposes and it does like to be bent and then bent again and again, if it get kinked once, well it is done.

I jig fairly often now, in the salt, and I usually use a microfiber braid mainline terminated with a ball swivel with a fairly stiff monofilament leader to my free sliding jig. I have used a snap swivel as a terminus for my mainline but have found that it was somewhat more apt to to tangling the braid than the the ball swivel was. I would not even consider using a duolock when jigging, yet I often use them while trolling.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#928973 - 05/03/15 06:10 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
Sal Fario Offline
Fry

Hmm...interesting idea and more permanent than mine.

Do you still use the bumper or forgo it entirely?

#928974 - 05/03/15 06:27 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
blackmouth Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: right place/wrong time
If your Buzz Bomb or Jig is light say, 1oz or less you could probably skip the bumper/cushion, however if you think think that you might need a bumper you could consider the heads from worn out hoothie skirts, or small diameter rubber surgical tubing, but the best is to buy a length of vacuum tubing from an auto parts store cut it into appropriate lengths in some stable place, and then put them in a ziploc bag, and when you go fishing don't leave them on the counter when you leave as they will do you no good there.

"So it goes." Kurt Vonnegut jr.

#928992 - 05/03/15 10:32 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
PD-5 Offline
Parr

In its normal function the bumper is there to protect the knot. I use soft rubber glow beads in place of the black bumpers for an added bit of attraction. When wire rigging it I would definitely still use some form of bumper as I would think the end of the Buzz Bomb will get mangled by the tag end of wire and the crimp in short order.

#929008 - 05/04/15 11:10 AM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I tie them on spinner wire. A bearing bead placed above and below to allow free movemet. 2cents

#929009 - 05/04/15 11:12 AM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: slabhunter]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: slabhunter
I tie them on spinner wire. A bearing bead placed above and below to allow free movemet. 2cents

You just described the Spinnow, also made by Buzz Bomb.

#929032 - 05/04/15 02:56 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Dave Vedder]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
HAha, humpies from hell love the bomb.

#929041 - 05/04/15 05:47 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
Firenmetal55 Offline
Alevin

Loc: Whidbey Island, Wa
I usually will slide a pink bead above the hook that will act as a bumper for the knot going to the hook. This also will give it some more noise going through the water. Works well enough for me. 2cents

#929137 - 05/05/15 04:11 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: slabhunter]
Dave Vedder Offline
Reverend Tarpones

Loc: West Duvall
Originally Posted By: slabhunter
HAha, humpies from hell love the bomb.

Almost ALL game fish love the Bomb or my favorite the Zzinger. If I could have only one lure to fish all species it would be a Zzinger. The owner, Doug Field is an old friend. He has on his office wall photos and testimonials from anglers who have caught everything from lingcod to marlin and kokanee to kamloops on Zzingers and Buzz Bombs. Drives him nuts that some asshats use them to snag.

#929146 - 05/05/15 05:51 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
cjjohnston14 Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Silverdale, WA
Are you beach casting or trolling?

CJ

#929174 - 05/06/15 09:24 AM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
lazydrifter Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Angeles
The best bumpers are old spark plug wires. cut them to size and push the filiment out.

#929198 - 05/06/15 01:21 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Dave Vedder]
REV. JER Offline
Parr

yeah that and the crippled minnow seem to be snagging favorites. frown

#929216 - 05/06/15 06:31 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
Buzz Bombs fished correctly is one heck of a lure. I've caught 100's of big springers dead drifting (yes, dead drifting) them down a deep slot in a certain river canyon. Seeing fish react to it in clear water is impressive. I've seen a group of coho go ape sh(t crazy before one of them finally nailed it.

The bumpers are necessary to both protect the knot as well as protect the bomb. A hard bead can cut your knot with the bomb banging on it. Switch out the treble for a siwash.

#929234 - 05/06/15 09:41 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
I took a bunch of em;, wired up with skirts & singles, down to Key West a few years ago and blew up Blackfins and schooly Mahi. One Captain bought me out on the spot after I kindly plugged his boat for him. They use a lot of standard chrome plated diamond jigs down there for sight casting and jigging, but Buzz Bombs swim a lot different on the retrieve and come in larger #'s of sizes, colors and patterns.

#931047 - 05/30/15 07:23 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Dave Vedder]
Iwannagofishin Offline
Smolt

Loc: British Columbia
I purchased Doug Fields line of Lucky Dog trolling spoons a couple of years ago and turned them into Lurecharge spoons. All of my products have a naturally created, positive voltage field which attracts fish. Doug and I also tested his Buzzbomb/Zzinger jigs to see if enough voltage could be generated. It did turn out to be adequate and more. Doug will be testing my concept on salmon this year to see how the production is. I just debuted anode packages on my website specifically for his jigs. There are 2 anodes for different voltage levels. The lower voltage anode is drilled 3/4 through to accommodate and protect the knot. Voltage radiates from the hook as well as any exposed portions of the jig body. The second 'hotter' anode can be optionally placed between the jig and 1st anode and boost the voltage to the 1 volt range. There are pictures in the 'Anode' section of my website. I would post them here but I don't see that option. Cheers Al

#931097 - 05/31/15 06:29 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
Mako22 Offline
Fry

Loc: Port Angeles
And the answer is:

Gray tubing that is used to hold the screen wire in screen doors and screens on windows.

Chances are you have some in the garage left over from re screening the patio screen door after the dog ran through it.

It is hollow!

Cut lengths to your pleasing and use instead of that silly short bumper that comes with buzz bombs. Nothing wrong with a 1/2 to 1 inch long piece, the fish will still be hooked.

If anyone does not know what this stuff is I will post a photo.

#931109 - 05/31/15 09:08 PM Re: Buzzbomb question [Re: Sal Fario]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Fear the Rotator.....

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 838 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |