Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93597 - 08/01/00 09:19 AM ?????
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Loc: Sumner Wa.
Please explain? When someone like Buzz Bomb says they snag fish you guys are all over him but when dzrcfitter has his limit and keeps fishing and hooks fish you guys pat him on the back and congratulate him. I say they're both poachers and scum.

#93598 - 08/01/00 12:05 PM Re: ?????
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
So Last one ,thats a heck of a way to introduce yourself.....good luck you'll need it

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

#93599 - 08/01/00 06:34 PM Re: ?????
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Osprey I really did'nt expect any replys because when you tell it like it is the majority of the people can't handle it. As far as luck goes the poachers are the ones who need it because I'm the guy who will stand up to them and tell em how it is while the rest of the fishermen stand around and act like nothing is going on.

#93600 - 08/02/00 01:15 AM Re: ?????
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Last Cast, I am as against poaching as anybody, cause I see it all the time, some of the small rivers I fish 90% of the people fishing are poachers. But really, what are you talking about?

#93601 - 08/02/00 08:09 AM Re: ?????
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Last Cast: It is legal to C & R after your limit is retained for Steelhead. Lighten up and make sure you know what your talking about before you dis people. Your not gonna be too popular here voicing your uneducated opinions.

Bob D

#93602 - 08/02/00 09:38 AM Re: ?????
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
Makes sense. A few of the rivers I fish, have an annual limit of one fish over 37 inches. It isn't like duck huntung where they can't be released after they are shot.

#93603 - 08/02/00 09:39 AM Re: ?????
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Jake Dogfish what I,m talking about is,do you stand up and say anything to those 90% or do you just let it go? If fishermen just sit and watch without saying anything then it must be ok. Bob D. the regulations are available at most outdoor stores and they are very clear about the laws.

#93604 - 08/02/00 09:41 AM Re: ?????
Preston Singletary Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Bob D,
Where did you get that idea? On page 57 of the regulations, under Statewide General Freshwater Rules; referring to steelhead "Steelhead may be caught and released until the daily limit is retained."
When you've killed two fish you're through for the day, pack it up and go home.

#93605 - 08/02/00 11:00 AM Re: ?????
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
I was wondering when some one would quote the regs.

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#93606 - 08/02/00 11:29 AM Re: ?????
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Of course I try to do something about it! I have called and reported poaching many times. The problem is, that where I fish there is a giant hole in enforcement. It amazes me how I can go out on the Sound and get checked to see if I have legal gear and and lifejackets etc, but meanwhile there are people going to creeks and rivers and snagging Kings right off the spawning beds nearly everyday. Do you know why it is like this? because of the same attitude that you have! So maybe dcrfitter was wrong to keep fishing, but he was with his brother or something and I imagine he was thinking of putting the fish on his limit. Or another thing that is completely legal, is he could say he was fishing for cutthroat. The point is wait till he does something wrong before you bust him. Wait till he carries more that his limit up to his car, then haul his ass to jail. Meanwhile, don't sweat the small stuff.

#93607 - 08/02/00 11:58 AM Re: ?????
Returning Adult

Jake,
It's not legal to fill someone else's limit for him. The limit for trout in rivers streams and beaver ponds is two fish and steelhead are considered to be part of that limit. So, unless you plan to go fish a lake, pond or reservoir where the limit is five fish and you could legally take three more, you are through fishing for the day.

#93608 - 08/02/00 12:41 PM Re: ?????
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Bingo! "A giant hole in enforcement" thats where the individuals pick up the slack.As for the small stuff most of that is passed on from Dad to Son so it might not be all that small. Preston I believe you know exactly what I'm talking about and I commend you for taking the time to learn the regulations.

#93609 - 08/02/00 09:40 PM Re: ?????
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

The limit on the Cowlitz is five trout.

#93610 - 08/02/00 10:18 PM Re: ?????
Returning Adult

OK, point taken. The Cowlitz, Elochoman and Tilton Rivers are exceptions to all of the other rivers western Washington in that they have five-trout (but only two-steelhead)limits (alright, the Tilton has no steelhead). In fact, I was not even thinking about the Cowlitz when I shot my mouth off. The fact remains, he wasn't fishing for cutthroat was he? I suppose that makes it an ethical question and therefore a matter of conscience. Do you continue to fish for steelhead when the intent of the regulation is perfectly clear?

[This message has been edited by Preston Singletary (edited 08-02-2000).]

#93611 - 08/02/00 11:01 PM Re: ?????
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Preston, I agree with you, I know you are a really smart guy. We both know that to keep fishing after your limit is wrong. But in this case it would be probably be unenforceable.
My only point was, that we are talking about an ethics issue here, on hatchery fish, while there are people raping small native runs as we speak. What we need is more enforcement, especially in certain rural areas.

#93612 - 08/03/00 12:02 AM Re: ?????
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
I sapose somebody has just been itching like a flee bag for me to get in on this one.Jump up and down and look like an idiot. well I'm not. HA HA. I was suckered into that 1x and that was it. I will say this when I hooked that 3rd steelie I handed the pole right over to my bro who has never got to fight one. Now what is dif from that than a guide hooking fish and handing them to a client? I really don't care what people wanna say. I have stopped fishing when I had my limit but in this case I didn't because I still had room for a few cuts. I never landed anymore steelies so I didn't brake anylaws. so comparing me to a snagger is a really low blow. but why swet the small stuff I got bigger things to worry about.Like getting a Bull Elk with my permit that I got today!!! I am so stoked. only a few weeks to go.

dcrzfitter

#93613 - 08/03/00 12:17 AM Re: ?????
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
You guys better read your regs a little closer. UNLESS the river is open for salmon, after retaining two steelhead you are DONE - period. The two steelhead maxes you out on trout, even if the "trout" limit is five.
The "devil" is in the details, and the officer wins the draws!!!

#93614 - 08/03/00 02:16 AM Re: ?????
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
I drew my Elk permit also!!! My 2nd son and I went in on the partner system, we both get a permit!!! Yahoo!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#93615 - 08/03/00 08:59 AM Re: ?????
Bob D Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Port Orchard Wa Kitsap
Preston,
Your right, My mistake...It says it on page 56 also! Sorry...

Bob D

#93616 - 08/03/00 10:52 AM Re: ?????
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
So what's to keep ya from punchin the first one on your card the and the second one on your Bro's card and ya both keep fishin'??? You know that goes on all of the time. Theres always a way to bend the rules and sometimes, like in the case of fishin' the Cowlitz where they are all hatchery fish and there are a ton of em' it just doesn't matter. None of you can say that you follow the rules all of the time.
Tight lines, Jeff

#93617 - 08/03/00 11:07 AM Re: ?????
Last Cast Offline
Smolt

Dcrzfitter first of all when I put in that post you were not being compared to a snagger. I was pointing out that when there is two illegal acts why is one seemingly accepted and the other isn't. As for when a guide hooks up and gives someone else the rod it's perfectly legal unless he has retained a limit. Here's a little advice don't try and tell the Warden you were fishing for Cutthroats with your steelhead gear if you do your going to get a ticket for sure.

#93618 - 08/03/00 05:48 PM Re: ?????
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Last Cast,

I guess you can look at it like this. I'm a speeder. I'm usually at 5-10 mph above the speed limit unless I'm in a school zone or a neighborhood. I'm a lawbreaker and I won't deny it. However, I don't consider myself in the same league as a thief or vandal. To me there are varying degrees of breaking the law, and varying degrees of "unacceptance" of said acts. Sure, we're both breaking the law, but as differing sentences tell you, some offenses are worse than others. dcrzfitter was technically outside the bounds of the regs., but a snagger isn't on the same level in my view. Intentionally snagging and keeping fish is blatantly wrong, whereas what dcrz was doing is technically wrong, but not a blatant abuse of the laws. JMHO.

Fisn on........

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#93619 - 08/03/00 06:06 PM Re: ?????
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Dan S I grew up in a family that has two law enforcement officers. Try that line of B.S. on a cop or warden sometime.

#93620 - 08/03/00 10:03 PM Re: ?????
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Thanks Dan, that was what I was trying to say, but I guess I didn't get it out right.

#93621 - 08/03/00 10:12 PM Re: ?????
grumpyr Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Orygun
Dan S.
Don't forget litterer.
Or was that just failure to carry the appropriate litter bag?
You be da baaaaaaad boy.
Just trying to lighten the mood a little.
Any way, any Lawyer will tell you that the most important factor in crime is criminal intent. This intent is also one of the harder things to prove in court however.
No I'm not a lawyer and shame on you for thinking what you are thinking right now.
Intent is present when you set out to snag fish no matter how much you try to fool yourself and others by rationalizing that what you're doing is alright since... (you fill in the blank).
"The measure of a mans character is how he behaves when no one is watching".

[This message has been edited by grumpyr (edited 08-03-2000).]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own"

#93622 - 08/03/00 10:13 PM Re: ?????
Moondog Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia, Wa

#93623 - 08/03/00 10:50 PM Re: ?????
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

BW,

I'll take my chances with the Law Enforcement officers. I speed, and if I get caught, I pay the ticket. I didn't ask for your approval or disapproval, so get on with your life. If you can't see the difference, then maybe your head doesn't see the sun enough.

#93624 - 08/03/00 10:59 PM Re: ?????
corky Offline
Smolt

Loc: Port Angeles Wa.
D-ick, you and your son better watch out for those flying elk if you hunt the east side of town.

[This message has been edited by corky (edited 08-03-2000).]

#93625 - 08/03/00 11:13 PM Re: ?????
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Hello, all.

Long time, no post. I guess I've been taking a break and refusing to participate in the off-topic discussions that have lately dominated this otherwise exceptional board.

However, on this one, I couldn't help myself. I apologize to those who couldn't care less and wish that this crap would end.

I am a lawyer, and what a few people on this board know, and most don't, is that I have spent the majority of my legal career as one of the Department of Fish and Wildlife's lawyers. Now that I don't work there anymore, I feel free to let that bit of info. out here.

While I agree that there are varying degrees of "badness" in violations, the fact of the matter is that violations are violations. When it comes to getting a ticket, snagging, keeping more than your limit, and taking even one more cast after killing your limit, all are going to get you in hot water if enforcement does happen to come along.

Lack of enforcement, or the feeling that if he's getting away with it, why can't I?, is never an excuse. Lack of enforcement gives all of us the opportunity to self-enforce, or even get all over the violator that you see on a river if you're that kind of person (Which I am on occasion).

It all comes down to a matter of respect. Respect for the others who fish for steelhead and salmon, or whatever. Respect for the fish themselves. Most importantly, it comes down to self-respect. If you need to violate a law to bring home a fish to impress someone, then you need to reevaluate the reasons why you fish.

I'm not perfect, nor is anyone else on this board, but I try my damndest to get as close as I can, especially when it comes to fish and game laws. It DOES come down to morals, and my biggest motivation to be lawful is not fear of enforcement, it's a fear of loss of self respect.

This is only my two cents, and people may feel otherwise. I challenge you to think about why you feel otherwise, if you do.

Peace, brothers and sisters.

Fish on...

Todd.

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#93626 - 08/07/00 09:47 AM Re: ?????
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Dan S, have been out of town for a few days and could not repley to your responce.

I did not intend for my post to look like a personal attack, sorry. But with that said, if we want the fishing to improve in this state we must not only work on the environment, and advocate catch and release, but we must also obey the laws. It dose not matter if we agree with them or not. It sets a poor example to new fisher persons to say that violating a misdomener is not a problem or no big deal. Once again sorry for the personal attack.
Bob

#93627 - 08/07/00 01:35 PM Re: ?????
Dan S. Offline

BW,

Agreed. Any violation of the game laws should be frowned upon. The fewer violations that take place, the better off we all are.

Fish on.......

#93628 - 08/09/00 10:30 PM Re: ?????
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Oh yer right I was a lil bit wrong. Thanx. I will be sure and keap that in my mind. I do try and follow the rules and this time I didn't. I will look into that trout limit more closely next time. And my Steelie gear is also my trout gear. I fish noodle rods with light line most of the time so why wouldn't I be able to fish for cuts. I catch them alot when I am not trying (and I put them back because they aren't worth keaping, in my mind). Thanks for pointing out my lil mis understanging with the trout limit.

SalmonHead. My cuzin was with me also and I could have put that second fish on his card or my bro's .

dcrzfitter

#93629 - 08/10/00 12:30 AM Re: ?????
screaminreelron Offline
Smolt

Loc: Roy,Wa
Todd...right on. Situational ethics gives us guys like Bill Clinton pretending to be a leader. Integrity....it's as rare as 40lb kings these days. It has been replaced by selfishness....I'll get mine...while the gettins good, to hell with anybody else. This mind-set has justified thrown several sockeye under the floor boards, shootin a double limit of ducks, and shottin elk at night cause its so much easier.

Poachers (outlaws)....stay away from me (and my sons)!

#93630 - 08/10/00 02:36 AM Re: ?????
J.C.B Offline
Smolt

Loc: Marysville Washington
One at a time, the name of the game. Follow the people, get a plate number. Use a cell phone, point out that its wrong. Even a boat with a motor has vin numbers. Any way to stop it. Letting it go is as bad as doing the crime. Use your head don't get hurt.

#93631 - 08/10/00 05:01 AM Re: ?????
Fishtick Offline
Smolt

Loc: S.W. WA
Somebody said on here that the best judge of a man's character is his behavior when he is alone. You know that most of the guys are usually master baiting when they are alone for very long. So what does that have to do with character?

#93632 - 08/10/00 05:06 AM Re: ?????
backlash2 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Pasco, WA
Barhoppin' again, Fishtick??????

#93633 - 08/10/00 06:59 PM Re: ?????
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Fishtick....you have way too much time on you're hands...well maybe it isn't time that's on you're hands....

#93634 - 08/11/00 08:50 PM Re: ?????
wit45cal Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Puyallup WA
Fellas...rules are rules and they should be followed as closely as possible.

It is my belief that the person who sets the hook should land the fish. A guide handing off a hooked fish is as wrong as landing it and then punching it on another card. If he would like to land it and punch it then give it to a less fortunate angler so be it. There is a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.(it depends on what the meaning of "is" is. as one example)
This issue speaks to my point on another thread about guides being "commercials". They do get paid to produce dead fish for money.(again, with the exception of Bob at times) Don't get me wrong as I would love to be good enough to be a guide(I am working toward that goal) but the purpose of a guide is to bring the horse to water, not roll him over and pour it in. Location, tackle and presentation are in my view within the purview of a guide, while hooking, playing or landing a fish relegates him to mere angler status. As a fellow angler, no reasonable person would expect him to hand off a hooked fish so why should we accept this behavior from "professionals". He is, after all, being paid for his wisdom not his hookset. My perfect world would of course make exceptions for the young, old and/or handicapped but the spirit is the same, HOOK, PLAY AND LAND YOUR OWN DANG FISH!!!!!!

I am curious, do the guides on this board consider themselves sporties or commercials when fishing with paying customers?

#93635 - 08/12/00 10:15 PM Re: ?????
DanO Offline
Smolt

Loc: anadromous, pacific,n.w.
Wit, Spot on response, all the more reason, for commercial guides to have their own quota.

#93636 - 08/13/00 02:48 PM Re: ?????
O.Mykiss Offline
Egg

Loc: Albany, OR USA
In a perfect world "HOOK, PLAY AND LAND YOUR OWN DANG FISH" sounds great but not reasonalbe. To expect someone to pay $150. that has never even held a rod before, that he is on his own, after I hand him a baited rod and tell him where to cast just won't fly in the real world. No amount guiding/teaching is going to replace days on the river needed to become adept enough to hook, play and land your own fish. It's takes everyone days upon days with dad teaching us to get that good. Paying customers expect you to hook them into a fish one way or another. Some wealthy customers can afford to go enough times to become good fishermen and they actually will refuse a rod unless they hook it themselves. But they have many hours and dollars invested at that point. Many people save up for a once in a life time trip or come from around the world to fish for West coast Salmon and they don't have a clue. It would be nice if they did but it just isn't going to happen. I would like to respectfully disagree with the statement that Professionals are being paid for their wisdom not their hookset. The hookset is exactly what the customer thinks that he is paying for. Many, many guides refuse to even share any knowledge with their clients for fear of competition. I think that is to bad, but if a client goes back a second time it is his problem. And many do because the guide got him into fish. If all guides taught everything that they knew to every person they took fishing what do you think our rivers would look like? That's a scary thought.

#93637 - 08/13/00 06:11 PM Re: ?????
Jeffhead Offline
Spawner

Loc: Olympia, Washington
The way I look at guides at this point in my life is that I hire them to learn from them. If they do not want to share thier knowledge then I will find a guide who will. It is just like going to training for computers, management or anything else. I am paying for further enhancement of my skills. I could care less if we hookup fish or not, what I want to learn is a new river or technique and what I learn on the water that day will make me a better fisherman down the road. All I have to say about passin' off a rod is that it happens, not only with guide, but with buds who fish together all the time.
Good luck and tight lines, Jeff

#93638 - 08/14/00 11:24 AM Re: ?????
Osprey Offline
Spawner

I also have no problem with passing off a rod but here is another one .this week end a freind is sturgeon fishinf from shore on the columbia the group next to him is comprised of a dad a mom and 3 very young kids,dad does all the casting and all the catching except for the 2 hooked on moms rods ..not a problem? Except when you count the 10 fish he landed They keeped 4 legals ,released the rest even an over size 64" So I assume the kids are here for the license ,I mean the guy is casting 12 to 15 foor surf rods these kids can't even carry the damn things..
I'm confused a little greedy are'nt they
Whats up with this ???

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 08-14-2000).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Iwant2fish
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1272 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14489
Salmo g. 13526
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63783 Topics
645418 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |