LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#935710 - 07/31/15 03:41 PM Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker?
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Ellensburg, WA
Looking to replace an 8 HP Mercury kicker motor with something newer, more modern, more reliable, and efficient. In other words something better. I would have thought this subject would have been discussed a lot on this forum over the years but I didn't see anything or missed it in the search options.

After some quick comparisons, I see the Honda has longer warranty, is about 11 pounds heavier, has 4 blades instead of 3, same HP at lower RPMs while it seems like I see more Yamaha kickers in the field and that people seem to prefer them even though they probably have less dealers and certified technicians.

What would you get for your boat and why?

#935713 - 07/31/15 04:01 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
wntrrn Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Edmonds
You wont be making a mistake with either of them. Most people will tell you to buy a Yamaha but I think it's like everything else regarding brand loyalty.

I've had both and can't really say which is better because both are great motors. But, I'm one of those guys whose brand loyalty steers me towards Honda. Both Honda 9.9's have been flawless motors. Tough to beat their 5 year non declining warranty.

#935727 - 07/31/15 07:02 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: wntrrn]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
If you want a T8 you'll have to buy used. Yamaha quit making them a few years ago.

#935732 - 07/31/15 08:24 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
supcoop Offline
Lady Killer Deluxe

Loc: Kirkland
Both good motors. Only thing note worthy between the two that I've found is that the Honda seems to be a "colder" motor. Once we got em going they were good to go but getting that initial kick was difficult sometimes. Experienced with more than one honda.

#935733 - 07/31/15 08:32 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
I have a 2004 Yamaha 8hp "high thrust". The prop is only 3 blade but it's big for a kicker. I've never had a single problem with it. I don't know if they make a model like it now but it's a nice motor.
When the day comes I have to replace it, I'd take a look at Yamaha again but I'd also take a look at evinrude two strokes. Ive had those on boats here and AK over the years, they were great motors. Supposedly the new ones are better.

Hondas are nice but I couldn't justify the extra cost given the success I've had with Yamaha and Evinrude. Warranty wise, I've always had the belief that the longer the warranty- the more likely you're going to have problems.

#935734 - 07/31/15 08:36 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

SM, yeah, they quit making the T8 but have an 8 HP four stroke kicker motor called the F8. I imagine it is quite similar, though the T8 had quite a following, almost cult-like.

Local dealer is recommending the Tohatsu over the Honda, even though they carry and are certified in both models. I just have a hard time believing that the Tohatsu is in the same field as the other two brands. I am sure they are fine but you just don't see the same following by guides or hard core anglers like the Yamaha or Honda. Lots of Mercs out there, which are made by Tohatsu in the smaller sizes but if I wanted a Tohatsu, why wouldn't I just keep the Merc I have now?

I'm still leaning towards the Big 2.

#935741 - 07/31/15 09:17 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
SundayMoney Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Everett
The F8 has a smaller gearcase and smaller prop. More for moving light loads fast (inflatables, small aluminum boats) than the T8s big loads slower.

Not much in common other than they're both 8hp.

#935752 - 07/31/15 10:48 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
fp Offline
Old Duffer

Loc: Hoquiam,WA.USA
I have a T-8 and love it. When it goes it looks
like I'll own a 9.9 Yamaha.

fop

#935780 - 08/01/15 12:42 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: SundayMoney]
The Catcherman Offline
Repeat Spawner

16' aluminum sled so perhaps that is small enough that the T8 is not needed and the F8 will suffice.

Attachments
side view.jpg

Edited by The Catcherman (08/01/15 12:49 PM)

#935787 - 08/01/15 02:02 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
eugene1 Offline
Spawner

Loc: out there...
I have the Yamaha F8 on my sled. Trolls great, no problems ever.

No need for T8 or T9.9 for small boats.

#935822 - 08/02/15 09:41 AM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
outfishn Offline
Returning Adult

I just got a sled and have an F8 I used for my drift boat. Is it a hassle having to manually tilt the motor? I'm thinking about selling it for a T9.9. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet.

I absolutely prefer the F8 over a Mercury 9.9 I had before it. It's a bare bones, start at first pull, light, work horse. I had issues with the Mercury. I'm sticking with Yamaha. Don't have an opinion about anything else but I do think the Tohatsu's are made by Mercury. Honda's seem big to me but I don't know anything about them. I've always read that you want a 4 stroke for a kicker since they run clean and are quieter.

#935846 - 08/02/15 04:19 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
Yamaha T-8 here, LOVE power tilt.....I'm still using original prop BUT its been bent and cut down but it still does what I need it to do.

Was hard starting but changed to ethanol free gas....starting problems have gone away....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#935895 - 08/03/15 12:20 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
STRIKE ZONE Offline
GOOD LUCK

Loc: Hobart,Wa U.S.A
I've had both kickers 8hp in 4 stroke....can't go wrong with either...that being said I like the yami a lil better. Good luck,

SZ

#935916 - 08/03/15 03:18 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
Swifty27 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tri-Cities, WA
Originally Posted By: The Catcherman
SM, yeah, they quit making the T8 but have an 8 HP four stroke kicker motor called the F8. I imagine it is quite similar, though the T8 had quite a following, almost cult-like.

Local dealer is recommending the Tohatsu over the Honda, even though they carry and are certified in both models. I just have a hard time believing that the Tohatsu is in the same field as the other two brands. I am sure they are fine but you just don't see the same following by guides or hard core anglers like the Yamaha or Honda. Lots of Mercs out there, which are made by Tohatsu in the smaller sizes but if I wanted a Tohatsu, why wouldn't I just keep the Merc I have now?

I'm still leaning towards the Big 2.

I picked up a Tohatsu 6hp on craigslist. I put on the high thrust prop, and It's been flawless so far. E0 gas and Stabile could be part of the reason though. I've only had it a years, so I can't say anything on longevity.

If they don't offer it with the electric trim or start or whatever you're looking for in a new kicker, it doesn't make sense.

#935917 - 08/03/15 03:38 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
bob r Offline
Returning Adult

We have a Tohatsu 4 h.p., 4 stroke, had it at least 10 years now, only problem we had was with a fitting on the internal gas tank, they have corrected the orig. problem, but you won't have that issue either way (no internal tank). Never has stranded us, has always started. We also run on ethanol free gas so that helps.Bob R

#935918 - 08/03/15 04:13 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: The Catcherman]
luckydogss Offline
Smolt

Loc: Renton
Something I just learned today as I was buying a very expensive fuel filter for my Yamaha main motor was that Honda parts are a lot cheaper. Auburn sports passed this information on to me.
I think before I buy another motor I should pick a part I would routinely use and check pricing and availability with manufacturers I'm considering. It would be a worthy exercise.
Honda may cost more to buy in the first place but the fact they're reasonable when it comes parts is something I would never have figured.

#936001 - 08/04/15 12:12 PM Re: Honda, Yamaha or ??? for 8 HP Kicker? [Re: luckydogss]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
I believe Tohatsu makes Mercs small motors. I have a Tohatsu 8 on my small boat and it does fine. Now Tohatsu sells a 150 and so but they are a Honda rebranded and on the net you can shave about 4k off comparable motor cost. In small motors ( all really ) most do fine and it is about having a good dealer to take care of you down the road. Personal preference has a lot to do with it in the end right along how you feel about sales tax vs local dealer.

Edited by Rivrguy (08/04/15 12:14 PM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 501 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |