Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94219 - 08/11/00 10:37 AM Elk Hunting
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Loc: Osprey Acres /Olympja
I know that this is a fishing web site,but hey if we can discuss politics and such we should be able to talk about something really interesting and close to my heart Bow hunting for Elk
As much as enjoy sneaking up on a summerun in low clear conditions.
There is nothing on this planet like bugeling in a big Bull Elk within bow range .
Having a bull answer you're call ,feeling the hair and the back of neck stand up,you're heart begins to pound.... Oh my goodness I have to calm myself down here, those of you that bow hunt for elk know what I'm talking about .
Those of you that chose to chase salmon during this time...great,I also big my rod for those lazy afternoons around camp,I mean the river is full of Salmon ,right next to our camp ,someone has to catch them
Besides having a fresh Salmon filet on the fire after a hard day hunting is not a bad way to end the day AHHHHH cold brew, good fish, bugeling Elk...God I love this.
Any Bow hunting fishing buddies out there?
sept.1st I am there
------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 08-11-2000).]

#94220 - 08/11/00 12:10 PM Re: Elk Hunting
steelie67 Offline
Fry

Loc: the dalles or.
Ya i`m starting to get the itch too .. Here in Oregon we start the 26th of Aug , and last threw Sept ... Can anybody give me there thoughts on carbons , going to try carbons this year with my new Mathews MQ1 .. Been shooting them for a couple of months , and really like them . I was wondering about any problems like pentration , I`ve heard good and bad .. I say if you hit in the vitals shouldn`t have a problem ...

#94221 - 08/11/00 12:38 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Spurdog Offline
Fry

Loc: 'bout a mile from the saltchuc...
Hey Osprey, good to see another bowhunter here. Just in case you haven't discovered it yet, the Bowsite is a great forum for bowhunters, and has a WA state board as well
http://www.bowsite.org/bowsite/tf/regional/threads.cfm?state=WA

I think if I could land salmon from my bowhunting camp my circuits would overload. Isn't the other name for that Heaven? I do the backpack thing and only hunt wilderness, although I shot a blacktail on my own place last year. The pack out was terrible, I had to go the barn for a wheelbarrow!

Tight lines and passthroughs,

Spurdog

#94222 - 08/11/00 01:08 PM Re: Elk Hunting
hawk Offline
Spawner

Loc: austin, Minnesota, USA
I am a freak for bowhunting too. Will be going after my third bear with the old winged harpoon in two weeks. We gotta talk about this elk thing. I have wanted to do this forever. I think I would sprout timber and tip over if I had one of those ivory toothed devils come in to a call. I'll e-mail you tonight on the floats also. Tight lines and bow strings.

#94223 - 08/11/00 03:12 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your right osprey not much is more exciting than the shivers a screaming white back gives at 20 yards. Makes me want to grab the latex and go have some fun.

Steelie I have had good luck with the carbons. I shoot a full length Beman hunter arrow with fingers and the decreased weight really closes the pin distances. Penetration hasn't been a problem with the carbon in my experiences.
Tight strings

------------------
Marty
Steelheader.net marty@steelheader.net

#94224 - 08/11/00 08:41 PM Re: Elk Hunting
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tenino, wa U.S.A.
Osprey,

well now that you got it going I'll jump in. I am looking forward to trying to fill my first bull permit this year. I went and looked over my erea last weekend and wee seen a few. as for fishing from camp. that has to be the best, I wounder if I know where you are hunting. Maybe next time I see you we will have to talk a little archery/elk

sorry I gotta drop this one again! LOL I am in one of those crz moods. Anybody have a fav. elk scent?

dcrzfitter

[This message has been edited by dcrzfitter (edited 08-11-2000).]

#94225 - 08/12/00 01:35 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Huntar Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Yakima, WA
I'm in too. Once you get an elk within thirty yards, screaming for the girls, you can almost (almost, but not quite) throw the rifles away.
I shoot a new Mathews with the dampeners built in (w/ release) it's incrediblely quiet. I'm also shooting the new tapered carbons. The combination is incredibly accurate. I shot a nock off the first set of four arrows out the bow!!!!

#94226 - 08/12/00 10:19 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Sequim WA
I can hardly wait!! I have an old Bear recurve 70# take down. One of my boys and I drew a good permit!!!! Been practicing with a cow call on the Sequim herd, (they work)!!!
Down Behind the Five, I didn"t know you flung arrows!!! Have you been on bowsite yet? How would you like to call some bears in, it is ALOT of fun!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#94227 - 08/12/00 09:31 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Big Jim Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tacoma, Wa. USA
My Goodness, I think you guys could use cold shower and a washcloth to clean off your screen. I would think it is hard on the key board too! I have yet to try archery hunting. I have a friend who makes bows and hope he gets mine done soon, or finds one already done that will fit me. I have heard all about the "bumps" that form on a mad bull. So two years ago I bought a cheap bow and now I think I will try hunting with one. But it will be hard to put down my rifle. Opps said a bad word there. Sorry. Good luck all, I hope I can bag one this year. Thinking about using my .44 for the elk. That will be a blast. Will do archery next.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!

#94228 - 08/12/00 10:39 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Jim Bain Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Loc: Chehalis, Washington USA
Osprey and all,
Well this is bowhunting year number 22...nothing like going one on one.

14 elk
21 deer
1 bear (don't want anymore)

Can't wait...glad that I can hunt within a 1/2 mile of the house!

Jim

#94229 - 08/13/00 03:07 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Anonymous
Unregistered

****ey
Bear calling sounds like a kick. If you need somebody to call for you let me know. Which tag did you get? The police hood ornaments? Got some nice photos of some biggies if you stop by work I will show you.
Too bad we don't have turkeys around here. I do a mean kiiiiyaaiiiing dog, rooster too ..... Makes for great camp noises. Even called hunters out of camp with the bugle....funny stuff to watch, provided you don't get shot.
Haven't been down to throw the bones in quite awhile....getting the shakes

------------------
Marty

#94230 - 08/13/00 05:18 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Anonymous
Unregistered

As on our board Os, I just gotta put your upper post into proper perspective here. As excited as Mike sounds about buggling in the big bull, he was even more excited when he told us, off the BB, how pumped he gets hunting wild sheep ..... armed only with his manhood!

#94231 - 08/13/00 01:57 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Osprey Offline
Spawner

Well Well look at all of us
I shoot a Hoyt Spectra Eclipse with fingers overdraw and thats it! no release no pins no extras it's small and fast I can pull up and have that 27' 2216 GG2 with a 125grn Thunderhead on it's way while a lot of guys are still tring to figure out which pin to chose (jk)
Bad news I just heard Weyerhauser is closing the woods ...WE need rain!!!
This won't stop me I'll just have to down size and pack in ..but I am going
Be safe have fun and most of all know you're limitations ,,,make sure you have a good shooting lane ...Have fun

------------------
Release all Wild Fish

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 08-15-2000).]

#94232 - 08/13/00 03:19 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Spurdog Offline
Fry

Loc: 'bout a mile from the saltchuc...
What I'm looking forward to this year is my 13 year old son's first hunt. He's had the fever since he had a prolonged conversation with a herd last year with his cow call, during scouting. He's working on getting his shots in a 6 inch circle, or he will just be my packer instead of a shooter. There's a bowhunting camp for kids in WA, that he has attended for the last two year--just a great group of people. Larry Jones always spends a couple of days there, and they have activities ranging from 3D shoots to following fake blood trails. We are getting out all our gear today, and scouting next weekend. Let's see, salmon...or elk...salmon...or elk. I'm going nuts.

#94233 - 08/14/00 10:44 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

One of my sons (5) and I put in for area 356 (Bumping) 330 cow permits given (Nov.1-5) for the smoke pole. I want to take mine with my BOW. I thought it would be the best chance to get drawn for a tag. Yes I do need a partner to call for bear, four eyes are better than two. The calling brings couger in also and they are real SNEAKY. I am in the middle of moveing right now so I will be getting back to soon. I want to see those pictures!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#94234 - 08/14/00 08:38 PM Re: Elk Hunting
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

did you get that permit in the Bumping? was it for archery or muzle loader? Mine is for archery in that era (Goose praire)

dcrzfitter

[This message has been edited by dcrzfitter (edited 08-14-2000).]

#94235 - 08/14/00 09:19 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want you to know I refuse to use my bow when telling the bear and cougar dinner is ready.

------------------
Marty

#94236 - 08/14/00 09:32 PM Re: Elk Hunting
dcrzfitter Offline
Spawner

I would love to get a bear or kitty with my BOW!!!! I would like to have the thunder stick with me just incase but gettin one of them with my bow would be a 1x thing that I don't think most will ever have the chance to do. and for telling them dinner is ready. what are you using for a dinner bell? just a normal rabit with a broken back call or is it little jingle bells on a stick or maybe little kid playing in the wooods alone sounds? what has worked best for you?

dcrzfitter

#94237 - 08/15/00 12:54 AM Re: Elk Hunting
Dick Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Any varmit call will do, you have to really sound like an animal that is DYING!! If you can see them nine times out of ten they will come RUNNING !!! If you do not see one you call for about 45 min. if nothing move on. Set up to call is the key. One has to WATCH the WIND I can't stess that enought!! Believe me this does work!! If you don't have a partner get a tree stand. You also want a big can of good pepper spray and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a side gun (44). The closes one we shot with a bow was 7yds and we wasn't in a tree stand. Couger is another story.

Marty, that is alright with me. I know you will just love it. It is a BIG RUSH !! When they come to the call they come to EAT!!!

------------------
Tight Lines!!

#94238 - 08/15/00 03:24 PM Re: Elk Hunting
Osprey Offline
Spawner

I know this bites, but the law says you shall NOT have in you're possesion a firearm while bow hunting
Excuse ME but if I'm hunting something that thinks I'm food well then I am packin If I was to carry a sidearm while bow hunting it would a shoulder holster...That is ...If I was to
Remember not to hunt carnivors alone always bring a friend and make sure they are slower than you ,you don't to out run the bear ...just you friend thats why I'd bring...RT ...because as much as he fishes that bear won't even notice me
Oh thats right you can't use bait ...besides he'd eat all the donuts anyway

------------------
Release all Wild Fish

[This message has been edited by Osprey (edited 08-15-2000).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  The Moderator 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |