THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#955382 - 04/07/16 01:19 PM Anybody fishing?
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Been a bit dead in here......

Lots of SRC's eating chum fry right now. Starting to see some pink fry as well.
Resident coho fishing has been surprisingly good this winter and spring. Some of the coho are starting to get into that 17-18" range.
Those small coho taste great.

May go bobber watching here in the next week as some decent chironomid hatches are coming off. Haven't fished freshwater in over a year so my bobber down reflexes will likely be a bit rusty.

Anybody else been getting some feathers or fur wet lately?
SF

#955388 - 04/07/16 05:24 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
FleaFlickr02 Online   content
River Nutrients

With this warm weather, we should start seeing some bigger bugs, too. It is time....

#955443 - 04/08/16 08:54 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
Piper
Unregistered

Boys and I went out today and slayed the trout in Spencer lake...

The fish were cruising the shallow end of the lake picking off emerging chironomids. I hooked quit a few casting in front of feeding fish while the boys were jumping in the water. The biggest was 20"

#955446 - 04/08/16 09:33 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Nice.
That lake has some nice bows in it.
SF

#955485 - 04/10/16 10:54 AM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

If there's still time, I'll give the "chum baby" flies I tied a try this week. It's hard to get my mind around trout fishing in the salt. I should have been doing that this past month while the rivers I had been looking forward to fishing were out of shape during most of the first month of my retirement. I had a brutal but otherwise good trip this past week. I've only done this previously in the late summer or early fall, but have wanted to hike up the Queets River trail and fish my way back during the late winter steelhead season. So I did. However, this past winter's floods have washed out the trail in at least three places, and in another a creek now flows down about 300 yards of the trail, making it necessary to do the hike in waders rather than hiking boots. I could mention here that any hike done in waders is twice as long as one wearing proper hiking footwear. Getting turned around or lost in alder swamps has now become a standard part of this adventure. Consequently the hike took me over an hour longer than it has in the past. Although I got home Friday evening, my toes and shoulders are still quite sore. Nonetheless, the weather and water and fishing conditions were as good as I've ever found them.

I was going to head to the Cowlitz this week and maybe try a combo of spring chinook fishing in the morning and steelheading in the afternoon, but TP raised the river back up from 6500 to 10,400 cfs, so that's out for me. The south sound SRC and rezzie coho option is looking good for this week. Well, I should probably check the tide conditions, something I'm not tuned into for this fishery yet.

Sg

#955501 - 04/10/16 04:08 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: stonefish

Anybody else been getting some feathers or fur wet lately?
SF

No cryriver

Trying to get the honey do list down to a manageable size. Happy wife happy life. She does give me a lot of lee way to go play and fish, so I really can't complain.

My son is graduating HS this year, and she wants the yard in tip top shape, so,... there are a few projects that I need to finish up before June.

I'll get a couple hours here and there in soon either on a local lake for triploids, or on the salt for SRC. Got my gear ready to roll.

#955504 - 04/10/16 05:00 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Some rezzie coho and searuns today.
The rezzie are starting to get really chunky now that they are turning on to eating baitfish.
Biggest cutt was 17" beautifully spotted hen. A little slim but that will go away shortly now that they are dropping back out into the salt.

Good luck in the salt Sg. Take lots of pictures. wink
SF

Edited by stonefish (04/10/16 06:42 PM)

#955524 - 04/11/16 08:18 AM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Have a couple outing planned to exercise my new 1wt on Costa Rican Redbands. Hope to get some of the larger ones I have seen. Birthday present to me... May even try some lowland fishing if I can find some access.

#955534 - 04/11/16 01:09 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: Carcassman]
Piper
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Have a couple outing planned to exercise my new 1wt on Costa Rican Redbands.

thumbs

my best purchase ever was an orvis 1wt blank kit that was marked $90 bucks at the morning hatch... when I took it to the register he told me it was mismarked. I offered to put it back because I couldn't afford the regular price but he insisted on selling it to me at the marked price.

I always manage a few fish with it in Idaho every year and they always kick my butt...

#955537 - 04/11/16 02:32 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: ]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Well, I went thru all my fly gear of the last 30 or 40 years, did a "5-S" operation and consolidated all into three sets of fly gear. One set for bass, poppers, and gills, one for summer run & trout rigged with 2 different floating lines and one spool with a short sink tip. I restored my old 9' S-glass & pfleugers with two extra spools for summers, trout, and anything else I can cast too.

Grabbed all my old flys and fly boxes from 1969 and on, then consolidated them to four containers of flys to select from. One box of all my old Montana Boy gear with hoppers, humpys, woolies and some very weird nymphs from some old fly shop outta Butte. Quite a few of the old flys are still hanging together so they've been saved, a fly box of panfish flys and poppers, and then a fly box of my Custom Collection## of flys for local summers and trouts...

All ready to go!

## 3 sizes of Renegades!

Thanks for chiming in.
Sound like you have some great old gear. I need to do a major organization of my stuff as well.
With this warmer weather we are having the ditch pickles should be getting active.
SF

#955541 - 04/11/16 06:25 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: ]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I like small pretty fish and the 1wt will work well on small streams. My Dad made me a 1 piece that is about 3' long. I used it on tiny creeks and it was wonderful. For grins I tried it on Dingeness pinks decades ago. Even though the fish took me almost to the arbor I got it in.

#955636 - 04/13/16 03:22 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

That's fishing! You talking about the Salmon Creek that empties into the Sound on Standring Lane? Seen it, never fished it but it looks like the place to look for pretty trout.

#955864 - 04/17/16 01:05 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

The 1wt exercised 9 Tico Truchas this morning in about an hour of fishing. That is, 9 out of about 100 seen. 10-15 would watch a dry or a nymph drift right by. Haven't really figured the code out yet. My biggest was 8', saw a couple that were about twice that. Maybe try towards evening.

#955904 - 04/18/16 03:44 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

I live above that creek. I hiked down there a couple years ago. It didn't seem like much water in it at the time. But, there does seem to have a restoration project going on down there.

#956033 - 04/20/16 07:11 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
SRoffe Offline
Spawner

No big hit there. I grew up on the beach just north of where Salmon Creek empties into the Sound, Arroyo Beach. I spend many times out on the sound fishing for cod, flounder, and come fall was trolling little spoons for cutties. I wasn't real successful, not many fish met their demise on my account. But, I sure had fun on the water.

My parents still live down there, and that's my goto spot for a few hours of fishing, grab the boat and head to the honey hole and beyond.

#956639 - 05/01/16 09:34 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Went in search of swamp donkeys today.
A couple small pickles to hand.
Felt odd to not have to rise the salt off everything when I got home after not having fished freshwater in over a year.

Next time I go I think I'll ask the lakefront homeowner if I can take his picnic table for a spin around the lake.
SF

#962705 - 08/11/16 10:07 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
Chetco Offline
Smolt

Loc: OR
Umpquia estuary..

#962951 - 08/17/16 12:37 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Just returned from 8 days fishing in BC. River was out the first couple days, but then began dropping and clearing. And fish began being caught. OK, as many were hooked and lost as were caught. But all in all, a very satisfactory trip.

Leaving on a backpacking trip Friday. Then heading to B-10 next week, but that won't be a fly fishing thing.

#962980 - 08/17/16 08:40 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Sg,
Take any pics you care to post with your new camera? wink
SF

#963287 - 08/23/16 12:45 PM Re: Anybody fishing? [Re: stonefish]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Did snap a few pics, but I left my new camera with a friend who arrived on my departure day. His camera battery went on the fritz, so he's using mine - and will probably take a ton more pictures than I did anyway - and I'll get my camera back when he returns home.

Noteworthy, but no pics, I caught both my smallest and largest steelhead ever from this river this trip. Big fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |