THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#964222 - 09/12/16 03:52 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: stonefish]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: stonefish

Just a thought if you plan to organize a fish in.
Why not the weekend of the 24-25th rather then the 17th.

I agree with this. Not only does it give a little more time to organize people, but we will probably also have a better idea of what the test fisheries have shown in terms of abundance (and whether further tribal fisheries are planned to take place).

I think you'll get a lot more participation if it's *clear* that there are enough fish coming back to support a fishery and that the tribes are proceeding on that basis.

I suppose the drawback is that it leaves less time for WDFW to do anything in terms of opening up a Puget Sound fishery while there are still fish out there.

#964227 - 09/12/16 04:37 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
OnFish Offline
Alevin

Loc: Monroe WA
Count me in regardless of the weekend !!

#964228 - 09/12/16 05:48 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: stonefish]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Originally Posted By: tydy
i say do it Saturday 9/ 17 en mass area 9, 10 & 11. everyone go out and troll with gear, no hooks. lets not risk our boats, lets just show of force the numbers of sports fisherman that are out there. its like we don't exist to the state fisheries managers. our whole state government from the governor on down mismanages absolutely everything they touch. when will it stop??

Just a thought if you plan to organize a fish in.
Why not the weekend of the 24-25th rather then the 17th.
The 24-25th would have been the Everett derby. I'm sure some folks that work weekends may have requested vacation days to fish the derby prior to the announced agreements and closures.
If the derby was on, a lot of folks would have planned to be on the water that weekend anyway.
Just a suggestion.
SF

--OR—

We could do our own Coho test fishery at the Tulalip Bubble for those that fish in this area. It is open for hatchery Chinook on those weekends. smile

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#964238 - 09/12/16 09:42 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
OnFish Offline
Alevin

Loc: Monroe WA
my thoughts are we need to stay fairly close together so we are seen as a whole group.. Shipwreck to maybe West Point depending on participation !! How about a registration forum of some sort here on the board ?? my computer skills are sub par to say the least !! would somebody like to take on that task??

#964256 - 09/13/16 01:27 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

So I guess I need to get caught up. Were the tribes supposed to be conducting "test" fisheries?

Then to add insult to injury, sell them back to the folks that share in the funding them in the first place?

Am I late to the program? Sorry been gone so long...

As a side note, I go over this bridge every day and fish are rolling everywhere but I suppose they all need to be saved for tribal "testing".

#964259 - 09/13/16 01:35 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: cobble cruiser]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
So I guess I need to get caught up. Were the tribes supposed to be conducting "test" fisheries?

Then to add insult to injury, sell them back to the folks that share in the funding them in the first place?

Others probably know better than I do (SkyGuy?), but my understanding is that several tribes have conducted or intend to conduct test fisheries (including in the Sound) to see how many coho are coming back. Tribes have actually begun commercial netting at the locks and on the Duwamish based on a determination that there is a harvestable surplus of coho.

As far as the locks go, since WDFW opened Lake Washington to coho (starting the 16th), you can argue that the goose and the gander are getting the same treatment on that particular stock.

I don't think there's any such argument to be made for the Duwamish unless/until they open it up to sporties.

#964260 - 09/13/16 01:39 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
The Duwamish fishery is not a test fishery, it is a straight up commercial fishery. The Muckleshoots have determined that there are enough fish for them to net and sell, so they are netting and selling.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#964263 - 09/13/16 01:52 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Todd]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Loc: Everett
Originally Posted By: Todd
The Duwamish fishery is not a test fishery, it is a straight up commercial fishery. The Muckleshoots and other tribes conspired to close off the saltwater so there would be a huge return of fish, and since they have no limits or quota's, determined that there are now enough fish for them to net and sell, so they are netting and selling.

Fish on...

Todd

Fixed for ya.

#964264 - 09/13/16 02:04 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Just spoke with a buddy that said his local Costco is nice and stocked up with Coho too. Guess I can't prove where they came from though. mad

#964267 - 09/13/16 03:42 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
outfishn Offline
Returning Adult

Over 5x the 10 year average over the Ballard Locks. Already over 2x over the total pre-season forecast. I wonder how the rivers are doing?

#964269 - 09/13/16 04:29 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

Today, the Suquamish announced a commercial fishery which extends from West point to Meadow point. I have emailed Ron Warren and Ryan Lothrop and asked if the Puyallup stocks are the stock which are said to be limiting recreational fishing from an emergency opening on coho, why can they net both Elliott bay and SHilshole bay with Gill nets???

Earlier this week I asked if Rec's could get an opener on Shilshole and Elliot bay for coho since the test fishery numbers have been so high. I was told that we could not because of Puyallup Chinook impacts, yet now the tribes are netting in those same areas.

hmmm.

#964270 - 09/13/16 04:33 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Well, I just sent this off to WDFW and my state reps and senator, and cc'd some news organizations. We'll see if I get any response. Feel free to use it if you'd like.

Dear Public Officials,

It is September, the time of year when salmon return to Washington waters. Nevertheless, as many of you know (and all of you should know), almost all of Puget Sound and the surrounding watersheds are closed to fishing for coho salmon. In fact, most areas are closed to all salmon fishing.

This is because the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and tribal biologists predicted a low return of coho salmon, and agreed to restrict fishing to protect coho runs. Unfortunately, now that returning coho salmon have passed Neah Bay, Port Angeles, and all of North Puget Sound without any sport or non-tribal fishing pressure, the Muckleshoot tribe has strung nets across the Duwamish river to catch and kill the returning coho. This is not ceremonial and subsistence fishing; it is commercial. Killing fish for money. The Muckleshoot tribe has decided to do this based on its independent determination that there is a "harvestable surplus" of coho. Of course, the Duwamish remains closed to everyone else, in accordance with the conservation-minded approach that WDFW agreed to earlier in the year.

In other words, everybody else in Washington let Duwamish coho pass by without fishing pressure in order to conserve the resource, only for Muckleshoot fishermen to catch them, kill them, and sell them at the end of their migration. I fear that other treaty tribes may soon follow the Muckleshoot's lead with other coho stocks. There is already commercial netting taking place in front of the Ballard Locks, but at least in that case WDFW has agreed that there is a harvestable surplus of coho, and has opened Lake Washington to non-tribal, recreational coho fishing starting September 16 based on that assessment.

It seems to me that there are two potential scenarios and responses that balance conservation goals and treaty fishing rights for any particular coho run. The first is that, as previously predicted, the coho return is not healthy enough this year, there is no harvestable surplus of coho, and nobody should be fishing for coho. The second is that biologists underestimated the coho return, there is a harvestable surplus of coho, and the surplus should be split evenly between tribal and non-tribal fishermen (as called for in the applicable treaties).

The current scenario, in which tribal fishermen are either (a) killing fish when there is no surplus, or (b) taking 100% of the harvestable surplus, represents the interests of the very few overwhelming the interests of the very many.

So, my question is whether you, the public officials of Washington, intend to do anything about this, and what that may be.

A direct response would be greatly appreciated.

#964271 - 09/13/16 05:19 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Sky-Guy Offline
The Tide changed

While 10's of thousands of us are beached for coho, the Suquamish have extended their seasons "until further notice" on Coho in Shilshole bay. I expect the Mukelshoots to extend their seasons too.
This was up in front of Shilshole toay, kind of a stick in the eye for all of us who traditionally fish for coho from this port.

#964272 - 09/13/16 05:21 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
MPM Offline
Spawner

This is infuriating. Was there no mechanism for a mid-season rec opening in the agreement reached earlier this year?

#964276 - 09/13/16 06:28 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

There was no mechanism for opening most of that at all.

I seem to recall Lorraine Loomis stating something like "the tribes have decided to not fish for coho this year so the sporties shouldn't either, you know, for conservation"...or something like that.

I think it's pretty clear who has the forked tongue here.

Fish on...

Todd

#964277 - 09/13/16 06:29 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

P.S. Lorraine Loomis is the Chair of the Northwest Indian Fisheries Commission, and a Swinomish tribal member.

#964278 - 09/13/16 06:33 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

In discussing the poor coho returns in 2015, and the upcoming 2016 seasons...

"That’s why western Washington treaty
Indian tribes are calling for greater caution
in fisheries management planning
this year and sharing the responsibility
of conservation more equitably with the
state."

http://nwifc.org/w/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2016/04/Spring-2016-Magazine-2.pdf

Yeah, close all the sportfishing and non-tribal commercial fishing for the entirety of Puget Sound, then the tribes unilaterally decide to have fisheries all over Puget Sound.

Sure sounds like "sharing" and "equitably with the state" to me.

The tribes flat out lied, and that's why were are not fishing while they do, and Lorraine Loomis lied straight up to all of us.

Fish on...

Todd

#964279 - 09/13/16 06:59 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Todd]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Honestly, I don't necessarily fault the tribes all that much for wanting to fish if we are really seeing a lot more fish than projected, but it is flat out unfair (and a violation of OUR treaty rights) to shut out the non-tribal fishermen from the harvest.

#964280 - 09/13/16 07:19 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: MPM]
paguy Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I know I feel violated. They should give a jar of vasoline with every fishing license.

Edited by paguy (09/13/16 07:24 PM)

#964282 - 09/13/16 08:02 PM Re: Their 50%: Central sound tribal Coho Fisheries [Re: Sky-Guy]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I don't fault them for wanting to fish, either...but going right ahead and deciding to do it after not only agreeing to not, but to make a big deal about how they weren't, is bullschit.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 10 11 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (No More Ice Fishin, steely slammer), 1138 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |