Rate This Topic
#968674 - 11/23/16 06:53 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: Todd]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Nice write-up.
Reminds me of hunting whitetail in NE.

What about a tree stand and some bait ?
Sounds a little ghetto, but it might be an equalizer under those jungle conditions.
I think bait is legal if the bait amount does not exceed 10 gallons.
Might want to verify that.

#968675 - 11/23/16 07:42 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Jerry Garcia Offline

Loc: everett
Have seen hundreds of deer over there in the early morning in my years of fishing the beach.

Growing old ain't for wimps
Lonnie Gane

#968676 - 11/23/16 08:06 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: Todd]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Just to be an a**hole, because it is so much fun, but the largest island in the Lower 48 is the Olympic Peninsula. When they dug Black Lake Ditch from the lake to Percival Creek they essentially made the OP and the Kitsap Peninsulas an island as they are surrounded by water. Black Lake to Black River to Chehalis River to the Pacific to the Straits, down the Sound to Capitol Lake, up Percival Creek to Black Lake Ditch to Black lake and point of beginning.

#968677 - 11/23/16 08:13 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Great story about the hunting of those deer. Sounds real tough but very satisfying. My Dad and his hunting buddy used to hunt blacktails in Marin County. His buddy wanted to find the one bush, that when you yanked it it, would lift up all the vegetation from the hillside so you could see all the deer he knew were hiding there. Gotta find that bush, Todd.

#968679 - 11/23/16 08:25 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Stands and bait are both legal there, and there is a stand on the 40 acre parcel. I sat in it last year and watched a big mature doe wander around well out of range from it while mostly wanting to stab myself for the boredom.

A well placed stand with consistent apples would no doubt be the best way to be successful there, but holds little interest for me so far as the thrill of the hunt goes...but on a season like this one where it took three weeks for me to shoot one and an additional late season three days for Nick to fill his tag, sitting in a good stand would start to look better as time goes by!

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#968689 - 11/23/16 10:42 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

You guys are right...Whidbey is the fourth largest island in the lower 48 ;-)

Point is... it's big.

Fish on...

Todd

#968692 - 11/23/16 11:27 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Great info Todd.

City folks just don't get it.

#968697 - 11/23/16 02:12 PM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

That's a good background report Todd. It sounds so much what I think the blacktail population around my place must be like. Either there are nine deer (cuz that's the most I've seen at one time) that run around making all these trails, or there's dozens or hundreds of deer. When they're in the jungle I see none, if they are in yards, driveways, or along the roads I might see from one to eight when I go for a walk around the lake. The sex ratio is puzzling. I see very few bucks. Either the bucks get shot almost as soon as they sprout little spikes, or the bucks are more reclusive and stay in the jungle, coming out only at night.

#968713 - 11/23/16 05:33 PM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

We don't have any hunting around here and most of the year all we see is does and fawns. One day in spring we had six bucks walk through in a herd. Last Fall we saw a nice 3 pt and there is somebody walking around with huge feet. After early spring I think most of the bucks are in the Priest Point Park canyons and swales. The does and fawns are in our yards.

Would really be fun to radio tag on a bunch and see just where they go.

#968714 - 11/23/16 06:17 PM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Surprisingly, even though it's either sex, any deer, on Whidbey...the doe we got this year was the only doe so far...not for passing shots, but because we just haven't seen them.

Go around town where they are sitting around in the parks or on golf courses and there are lots of does...in our hunting zones, we don't see as many.

Our few cams on the 80 acre parcel had does on them...and though it's hard to tell them apart other than by age class (unlike the bucks who all look different, in racks and bodies), there are still at least as many bucks on those cams as does, and probably more.

It's been an oddity there...when you see deer in the no hunting zones there are a ton of does, but when you are in the areas we hunt, almost all bucks.

Fish on...

Todd

#968744 - 11/24/16 09:23 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Yeah - great write up Buddy. Going to cut n' wrap today! thumbs

I'm already thinking about, researching and writing down what I may do differently next year. The list is long, but its going to start with a couple of well placed tree stands n' apples and better cleared trails. Todd can't sit for longer than about 10 minutes, where I can warm my butt all day long if needed.

It is a bit odd that our Buck-to-Doe ratio is so off. I'd say its at least 50%+ Bucks where we hunt. Very few Does realatively speaking. It's kinda strange.

I am convinced that there are good sized Bucks all around us. Everywhere. Even a legit Toad or two. Our trail cams don't lie. They just don't ever come out of the deep woods during the day, except for the rut. Even with the full rut cycle, spotting one during the day and having a shot in the thick stuff creates extremely low odds. My kind of odds. I may do less walking and more sitting over bedding trail extry & exits next year. I don't know...we'll see what happens.

Anyway, better get to work wrapping...

#968747 - 11/24/16 09:28 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: NickD90
Yeah - great write up Buddy. Going to cut n' wrap today! thumbs

I'm already thinking about, researching and writing down what I may do differently next year. The list is long, but its going to start with a couple of well placed tree stands n' apples and better cleared trails. Todd can't sit for longer than about 10 minutes, where I can warm my butt all day long if needed.

It is a bit odd that our Buck-to-Doe ratio is so off. I'd say its at least 50%+ Bucks where we hunt. Very few Does realatively speaking. It's kinda strange.

I am convinced that there are good sized Bucks all around us. Everywhere. Even a legit Toad or two. Our trail cams don't lie. They just don't ever come out of the deep woods during the day, except for the rut. Even with the full rut cycle, spotting one during the day and having a shot in the thick stuff creates extremely low odds. My kind of odds. I may do less walking and more sitting over bedding trail extry & exits next year. I don't know...we'll see what happens.

Anyway, better get to work wrapping...

Forget the apples (soda pop) and go straight for the "hard stuff to bring out Grandpa"....
http://www.moultriefeeders.com/products/feeders/deer-feeders

#968761 - 11/24/16 11:45 PM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
Given that some puke swiped your SD card, there are others bumbling about. Should any of you walk through their bedding area(s), they will pull up stakes and not return until things quiet down. If you're contemplating stand(s), be careful not to stink up your AO unless you get to the last couple days, get desperate, and go for a deep dive. During the rut, the big boys can be had when looking for love but as Todd noted from your digicams, they are primarily nocturnal ghosts. The boys also move the ladies around with their amorous intent. Why do you think all those does are in the wide open spaces but there are no bucks to be seen? When a doe is in estrus, they will oft get aggressive with a potential suitor. Seen it. Until then, they will generally seek a reprieve from the harassment. Saddles, canyon heads, fence lines, lakes and other such things will funnel such movements of cruising bucks. Have also seen bucks walk right through apples on the ground in an orchard to romance a doe munching on one. Place your stand(s) accordingly and give consideration to Todd's bumbling about painting his scent downwind and using it to your advantage. You could always just baptize yourself with a bottle of hot doe in estrus urine. Have heard good things.... wink

You boys cutting & wrapping your own venison? In my youth, had the good fortune of having a local butcher in our ranks. There was always a big C&R party after the season. The newbies would get tossed the trim pieces for the grind and the veterans would break down the quarters into roasts. There are lots of vids on youtube now. The McClendon's Meats vids are quite well done (no pun intended). Locally-sourced organic pork shoulder and belly added to the trim make for an excellent grind. Our 3/4 hp Tor Rey does a beautiful job and stuffs dozens of 2# bags in a snap.

Just walk into a butcher shop during hunting season and take a gander at what some folks drag in, literally. Most butchers do their processing in batches so what you see hanging will oft get mixed in with yours. Especially for your grind....

#968762 - 11/25/16 01:35 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Yes, we do all of our own cutting and wrapping, and grinding of the burger.

Fish on...

Todd

#968765 - 11/25/16 09:41 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

I refuse to pay for a butcher to cut up a small deer. Its so simple to do yourself and I know exactly what I am getting back in return. We use just about every part of the animal. Good cuts go to roasts and steaks. Grind goes to burger (+ 25% bacon ends/ peices or beef suet - whatever). Liver and kidneys goes to Liverwurst. Cull fat for wrapping meatballs. Bones for stock. Scraps for homemade dogfood. The tail gets cut off, salted and saved for fly tying. Only the head, forearms and hide gets tossed. I've even thought to cut out the hooves for dog chews - but that is a super pain in the butt. I may build a hide scrape and drying rack for next year and brain tan my own hide (another pain in the butt). No butcher would take the time or care to do the job we do. It's important to us that the animal is fully utilized to our best abilities.

We are both softies when it comes to taking an animal's life. There is no cheering and high fives. It's very quiet and we say our peace to the animal in our own ways. I've been known to slip a last bite of grass in an animals mouth as a final meal (old world European style "contribution". I'm Prussian German and that's how Gramps taught us). I'd be damned to go through all of that and let a butcher rip the deer and me off. The deer deserves better. My dogs certainly thank us for the tasty meals.

Homemade Dogfood recipe: Take all scraps, fat and silver and course grind. One BT deer may give roughly 30 lbs of scrap meat. Brown grind without any seasonings of any kind (not even S&P). Cook lots of brown rice in rice cooker. Boil several bags of frozen peas and carrots. Once peas and carrots are boiled, drain well and mix with brown meat and finish cooking. Cool everything once cooked and mix 50% meat, peas and carrots and 50% brown rice in bowl. Pack tight into quart canning jars, lid and freeze. One deer makes about 50 quarts of dogfood. I then mix 50% homemade with 50% dry food. My dogs go ape chit for it.

#968767 - 11/25/16 10:19 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

The hunt starts in the summer on the first scouting trip, and ends when the last package is stowed in the freezer...it all part of the process.

Fish on...

Todd

#968770 - 11/25/16 12:09 PM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Dogfish Offline
Poodle Smolt

Loc: McCleary, WA
Originally Posted By: NickD90
I refuse to pay for a butcher to cut up a small deer. Its so simple to do yourself and I know exactly what I am getting back in return. We use just about every part of the animal. Good cuts go to roasts and steaks. Grind goes to burger (+ 25% bacon ends/ peices or beef suet - whatever). Liver and kidneys goes to Liverwurst. Cull fat for wrapping meatballs. Bones for stock. Scraps for homemade dogfood. The tail gets cut off, salted and saved for fly tying. Only the head, forearms and hide gets tossed. I've even thought to cut out the hooves for dog chews - but that is a super pain in the butt. I may build a hide scrape and drying rack for next year and brain tan my own hide (another pain in the butt). No butcher would take the time or care to do the job we do. It's important to us that the animal is fully utilized to our best abilities.

We are both softies when it comes to taking an animal's life. There is no cheering and high fives. It's very quiet and we say our peace to the animal in our own ways. I've been known to slip a last bite of grass in an animals mouth as a final meal (old world European style "contribution". I'm Prussian German and that's how Gramps taught us). I'd be damned to go through all of that and let a butcher rip the deer and me off. The deer deserves better. My dogs certainly thank us for the tasty meals.

Homemade Dogfood recipe: Take all scraps, fat and silver and course grind. One BT deer may give roughly 30 lbs of scrap meat. Brown grind without any seasonings of any kind (not even S&P). Cook lots of brown rice in rice cooker. Boil several bags of frozen peas and carrots. Once peas and carrots are boiled, drain well and mix with brown meat and finish cooking. Cool everything once cooked and mix 50% meat, peas and carrots and 50% brown rice in bowl. Pack tight into quart canning jars, lid and freeze. One deer makes about 50 quarts of dogfood. I then mix 50% homemade with 50% dry food. My dogs go ape chit for it.

Nice to see others who like to cut a wrap their own. So far this year I've processed 2 bears, 2 lambs, 4 deer, and 4 elk. 1 lamb left, and then maybe two more deer if myself and my youngest connect in the late season.

We made a [Bleeeeep!]-ton of sausage this year, from bulk ground breakfast and hot Italian, to summer sausage, salami, and bratwurst. Polish sausage (some with smoked cheddar crumbles in it) is on tap for this weekend. Grind for burger gets 10% beef fat added, and its free from a number of large chain grocery stores who generally just throw it away.

It isn't that hard, and other than sharp knives, the only true specialty tool you really need is a grinder if you want to do your own ground animal, as well as various types of sausage.

They call me POODLE SMOLT!

The Discover Pass is brought to you by your friends at the CCA.

#968771 - 11/25/16 12:17 PM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

And...I guarantee we save more meat than any commercial butcher does... it's just a matter of the time it takes to get it all.

The industrial sized slow cooker is making a couple of gallons of bone broth as we speak ;-)

Fish on...

Todd

#973264 - 02/14/17 09:21 PM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Man...winter sucks without fishing around here. I've been bit by the bug hard and have Blacktail on the brain 24/7 now. Scoping, planning, prodding, scheming, prepping, reviewing, re-reviewing, spending, building et al. and I'm still behind schedule for next season. Make it stop.

Also, I need new knees. frown

#973295 - 02/15/17 09:05 AM Re: Soon. Very, very soon.... [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

If you need those new knees, do it now and use BT as the push for rehab.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish Lady, onthefly, overkill45
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 321 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |