Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#971494 - 01/14/17 10:06 AM Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
New fly fishing short by Todd Moen / Catch magazine is well worth checking out:

Came across another by OP Skagit Tactics with some pretty cool coho action on top water:

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#971587 - 01/16/17 12:08 PM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: ColeyG]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Not being a fly guy I gotta ask why the steelhat guy never sets the hook??

That silver fishing looks hard on the elbow.

#971590 - 01/16/17 02:02 PM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: ColeyG]
AP a.k.a. Kaiser D Offline
Hippie

Loc: B'ham
Someone with more steelhead flyfishing experience can probably answer the question better than me but, particularly on the hang down takes, you want the fish to take the fly and turn back downstream where they bacially hook themselves. NOT setting the hook, and often feeding a few inches of line to the fish at the time of the bite, can be a challenge depending on how you normally fish. I guess pulling plugs provides a decent analogy where the last thing you should do is immediately grab the rod and set the hook.

#971622 - 01/17/17 08:57 AM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks Coley! Todd Moen makes the best fishing videos I have seen. This one really captures the essence of steelhead fishing - a whole lot of fishing with not much catching. Certainly reminds me of winter steelhead fishing lately.

Brett, to your question, it looks like the angler got grabs when the fly was on the hang down, which is the hardest way possible to get a solid hookup. Setting the hook simply pulls the fly away from the fish. What is happening is that the fish flares its gills to inhale it. Sometimes I get a good hook up by feeding a foot or two of line to the fish so that the fly drifts back when the fish inhales and there's enough slack line for the fish to turn with the fly without feeling too much line resistance. This results in a good hook up maybe one out of two, one out of three times. Not a high percentage move, but better than zero.

Love WOG fishing for silvers. I keep meaning to get back to AK during a silver run. The top water attack, when a silver comes after a WOG with its dorsal fin out of the water, all shark like, and then it pounces on the fly, that's about as exciting as salmon fishing has ever been for me. Yes, it's hard on the elbow; it hurts so good. There's so many things going on at that time of year, it's impossible to do it all.

Edited by Salmo g. (01/17/17 08:58 AM)

#971627 - 01/17/17 11:36 AM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: ColeyG]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Good info Salmo.

Thanks for the explanation.

I hope retirement is treating you well.

#972898 - 02/09/17 07:34 AM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: Salmo g.]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

[quote=Salmo g.]Thanks Coley! Todd Moen makes the best fishing videos I have seen. This one really captures the essence of steelhead fishing - a whole lot of fishing with not much catching. Certainly reminds me of winter steelhead fishing lately.

Wonder how many days/weeks of footage was recorded before edited to few minutes? God, I can't wait to retire!

#972987 - 02/09/17 10:02 PM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: ColeyG]
ColeyG Offline
Ranger Danger

Loc: AK
The age of drones, tiny HD cameras, and high tech user friendly post processing software has really increased productivity and decreased the time needed to capture and share quality images and video. That having been said, there is no substitute for putting in extra effort.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."

#973048 - 02/10/17 09:52 PM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: ColeyG]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Don't forget Jim Conway.....or am I dating myself? wink
SF

#973100 - 02/12/17 10:18 AM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: ColeyG]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

SF,

Yeah, you're dating yourself. A lot.

#973114 - 02/12/17 04:41 PM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: Salmo g.]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
SF,

Yeah, you're dating yourself. A lot.

Lol
Always thought it was funny listening to him grunt into the mic while he was fighting a fish. He made it seem like he'd just run a 5K then hooked up a fish.
SF

#974081 - 03/02/17 12:42 AM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: ColeyG]
gulliver Offline
Alevin

That's a beautiful silver salmon, nice catch!

#974955 - 03/15/17 05:34 PM Re: Green Nation Steel & Some Sweet Wog Action [Re: Salmo g.]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Thanks Coley! Todd Moen makes the best fishing videos I have seen.

Unquestionably the most talented fishing cinematographer in the biz. Here's another visual masterpiece....

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |