Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#979288 - 08/27/17 09:40 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: bushbear]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

With all respect BB a closed loop system is like placing 20 gallons of gas in your living room and waiting for a spark. The cost of purifying water down to the micro level is huge which is why hatcheries use them on a limited bases. Yes they work but the cost is massive so not much of a chance of being used yet. Get the price of the technology down and good to go.

That is the greatest mistake we make in my mind. Rather than scream the sky is falling a concerted effort to develop the technology to rear seafood with aquaculture is needed. It is the one thing that would reduce pressure on natural salmonids. Get the price down and the commercials will disappear slowly but steadily.

Then remember the enviros made a deal with the devil and joined with the commercials. Sometimes Winston can be wrong as this time " the enemy of my enemy is my freind " is not working this time around.

#979289 - 08/27/17 10:03 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Agree with Rivrguy. Folks have told me that we can non-filter or reverse osmosis but the cost of a couple hundred cfs would not be low.

That said, all fish rearing facilities can do much better than they are doing. This applies to private, state, Federal, tribal. There are ways to do better but they cost.

#979290 - 08/27/17 10:27 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

why not build a giant charcoal filter like used in fish tanks? run the water through 1 or 2 of those and alot of the problems would be trapped inside it and it can be disposed of...

#979291 - 08/27/17 10:41 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
freshwater rights are liquid gold and will be contested, especially for any "junior" right applications. Maybe the best option might be for saltwater facilities and some kind of a flow through process. Reducing or eliminating disease, food, and fecal waste will be issues but is should be doable. I just have a personal opposition to net pens in open water. The proposed move of the Port Angeles net pens, due to the US Navy pier construction inside Port Angeles harbor, to an area 1.5 miles off Green Point (East of Port Angeles) is going to place a 20% larger facility in an area of strong currents and, in my opinion, too close to marine vessel traffic picking up Puget Sound pilots that are taking vessels into or returning from inner Puget Sound. Any mechanical issue with a 900' freighter/tanker could create a huge problem.

#979292 - 08/27/17 10:55 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
When I raised Koi as a hobby I used UV ( OK but lots of maintenance ) then went to ozone but that one bit more than a little in the wallet. You have two issues micro and organic requiring different solutions. Organics require a back flushing system which captures waste from the water then what to do with it is a real problem I ran it into a huge bio filter but I was small potato to commercial.

Then the regs! Hatcheries for years used a green die that killed off micro things but fed by the tablespoon rats could develop cancer but if you ever had green carpet you had it in your home. So EPA said change which sounds good but......the replacement? Formalin which is liquid but formaldehyde is the main active ingredient.

To be honest folks if the same standards that DOE in this state were applied to a city such as Seattle you would damn near have to abandon the city! You see fish do not vote, only a few in aquaculture, lots of votes in city, big big cost to urban folks and they vote. You figure out what happens next with this story.

Edited by Rivrguy (08/27/17 10:57 AM)

#979293 - 08/27/17 11:16 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

It's certainly doable. Raise the cost of commercial fish sky high. Good to some, bad to the majority who buy fish to eat. Same with hatcheries for fisheries. Significant increase in cost, which is license fees.

It is a problem of volume. Like as has been said, metro sewage discharges (like hatcheries) have low levels of nutrients but they make it up in volume. Getting the last couple ppm or ppb out of a waste stream is very speedy.

Plus, I don't think any of the ozone or UV treatments are 100% effective. 99.9999 still lets some out and that one survivor may successfully find a host and spread.

This whole argument revolves around risk versus cost.

#979294 - 08/27/17 11:40 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

everyone knows fish farms produce waste and disease, but why arent they rasing Kings there, or Coho? why are they using a fish from the other side?

wouldnt it be easier to raise something they have experience with on this side as far as infections and whatnot?

#979295 - 08/27/17 12:39 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
bushbear Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim
To the best of my knowledge, Pacific salmon don't do as well in a net pen facility. Atlantics have been cultured for generations for the desired characteristics that seem to do okay in a captive facility. The issues, as outlined above, are how to get adequate water, handle pollutant discharges, and protect against mechanical or other catastrophic failures and find the food base necessary to get desired growth in a timely manner. The GMO "Frankenfish" is a result of the desire for faster growth.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39265727/ns/he...e/#.WaMc59GQwdU

It's a slippery slope and lots of money involved. Here are some other links on fish farming.

http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Salmon+grown+land+based+tanks+come+market/9839481/story.html

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/...as-buyer-sought

http://www.fishfarmingexpert.com/news/a-land-based-success-story/

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/01/barramundi-aquaculture-fish-farm-iowa-veroblue/

#979296 - 08/27/17 12:43 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Evo
everyone knows fish farms produce waste and disease, but why arent they rasing Kings there, or Coho? why are they using a fish from the other side?

wouldnt it be easier to raise something they have experience with on this side as far as infections and whatnot?

I will speculate that there are production advantages to AS. Are there diseases of Pacific salmon that would pose a greater risk to local stocks?

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#979297 - 08/27/17 12:48 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

i can see how that would be an issue Larry, but what would the advantages be? faster time to adulthood?

BB, people freak out about that "Frankenfish" thing then go out and catch and eat Triploid Rainbows... pretty much the exact same thing....

#979298 - 08/27/17 01:22 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

AS have a longer history of culture and more selective breeding. Imagine the outrage if you cultured Pacifics. First, they would genetically swamp the wild fish when they escaped. And, being the same species, would be way more likely to at least successfully mate. Say 2 AS's spawn and produce zip. Nothing lost. A cultured Chinook spawns with a wild Chinook. Still produces zip but one wild spawner is wasted. If they don't produce zip you get maladapted genes out there until natural selection removes them. Which again wastes wild fish. Who is going to surrender Pacific's for a private broodstock?

#979299 - 08/27/17 02:19 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

There have been postings elsewhere which have interjected the GMO/Frankenfish aspect but nothing I have read indicates that the AS being raised in WA waters (or B.C. for that matter) are genetically modified. GMO or not??

#979300 - 08/27/17 02:32 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

They have certainly been selectively bred for ability to live uncultured conditions, thrive in pens, probably spawn on a more year-around basis. They are as domesticated as most cows.

#979302 - 08/27/17 04:55 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Carcassman]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
The free-ranging fish are accumulating the toxics from what they are eating. Hence, they have toxins while the AS don't. It is also why PS resident salmon are a lot worse for toxins than ocean-migrants; more [Bleeeeep!] in the food chain in the Sound.

They, the fish, don't accumulate the toxins from the water. They accumulate them from what they eat. And, the caged fish eat significantly different diets than the wilds or hatchery plants.

I acknowledged they are fed different food in my original post.
This magic food made up mostly of meat by-products, must have toxics in it or there would be no health advisory from Department of health. Or there absorbing toxics from the environment.

#979303 - 08/27/17 05:13 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Carcassman]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

I would also add that it seem a little cynical or disingenuous to create a fishery (stocked resident coho and black mouth) that are known to concentrate toxins at rates higher than normal wild fish.

Can't argue with that!

The natural environment can't produce enough salmon for consumption. And, how times change. Back in the 80s, 100-125K hatchery Chinook returned to Bellingham Bay alone, products of the Nooksack and Samish hatcheries.

I don't see how you can predict the carrying capacity of our ecosystem when salmonids have been overfished since the 1870's!
We are producing 17 million pounds annually of Atlantic salmon. How much of that is eaten locally?
Basic laws of supply and demand say there is no shortage of farmed salmon or the price would be sky high. There is no reason they cannot be produced on land as they are in other places.
The simple reason they are not is because we are allowing this. On land farms don't have the added benefits of year round chemical weapons labs to experiment on what hurts our pacific salmon runs and what doesn't work. This is a long term investment to eliminate the competition and have entire market for themselves.

#979304 - 08/27/17 06:03 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish

Basic laws of supply and demand say there is no shortage of farmed salmon or the price would be sky high.

TRUE.

There is no reason they cannot be produced on land as they are in other places.

Fact not yet in evidence. Seems Norway, Scotland, Iceland, Canada and the U.S. are salt water pen operations and I doubt if Chile has put the money into land operations.

The simple reason they are not is because we are allowing this.

Well, we do allow it but given your statement of how supply and demand keeps prices down what do you think would happen to such operations (in a globally competitive industry) if their Government were to require them to move ashore and incur much higher investment and operating costs? Poof! Gone!!

This is a long term investment to eliminate the competition and have entire market for themselves.

I suspect that the AS producers of the world are more concerned about competition within their own industry than with the wild caught salmon industry. Maybe not so much the other way around. But if you really want to have a level playing field the wild caught salmon industry should be paying the full cost of producing the fish it harvests. Just sayin'.....

#979305 - 08/27/17 06:48 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Carcassman]
Piper
Unregistered

AS have a longer history of culture and more selective breeding. Imagine the outrage if you cultured Pacifics. First, they would genetically swamp the wild fish when they escaped. And, being the same species, would be way more likely to at least successfully mate. Say 2 AS's spawn and produce zip. Nothing lost. A cultured Chinook spawns with a wild Chinook. Still produces zip but one wild spawner is wasted. If they don't produce zip you get maladapted genes out there until natural selection removes them. Which again wastes wild fish. Who is going to surrender Pacific's for a private broodstock?

For a second there i thought you were talking about chamber creek steelhead...

#979306 - 08/27/17 07:31 PM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: Evo

My Dad worked at was called "dom sea" fish farm back in the 70s and 80s. (Near Rochester)
They tried a variety of pacific salmon, Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout. At that time they felt rainbow got the most bang for the buck. Later they changed to Atlantic Salmon, I don't know what they are raising there now, if anything.
He also developed a self feeding system, which they did not use because it developed some aggressive fish getting large while others suffered.
They want all the fish to survive to market.
I did fish the main pond once. Good times!

#979308 - 08/28/17 04:04 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
uyellowdirtydog Offline
Parr

Loc: Whidbey
Been a while since I've watched this, but some very interesting information to glean from it (and of course other sources);
Farmed Norwegian Salmon - World’s Most Toxic Food
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH6wH1dqbwc

Updated version;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYYf8cLUV5E

Edited by uyellowdirtydog (08/28/17 04:07 AM)

#979309 - 08/28/17 04:55 AM Re: "Safe to eat" [Re: Jake Dogfish]
uyellowdirtydog Offline
Parr

Loc: Whidbey

Salmon Confidential, Documentary About Salmon Farms in Canada & Diseased Salmon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTCQ2IA_Zss

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63786 Topics
645450 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |