Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#982840 - 12/25/17 09:34 PM Makes you wonder
deerlick Offline
Spawner

Loc: around
Good thing wdfw is letting the last open rivers be fished to death. Pressure needs to be spread out before it's too late

Attachments
IMG_4088.jpg

Edited by deerlick (12/25/17 09:35 PM)

#982841 - 12/26/17 02:16 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Makes me wonder, too. So... how we doin' ?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/salmon/

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#982842 - 12/26/17 07:12 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Numbers look pretty pathetic all around. Skagit provides a ray of hope until you consider how large its drainage is compared to the others on that graphic.

It's also important to recall that while the Puget Sound streams have been closed to recs during wild steelhead season, the tribal fisheries in those streams have also been on hold, and that has probably directly resulted in small increases in escapement.

The numbers from the OP are pathetic and scary, and they don't appear to safely support fishing, by comparison. Interesting also to note that the Calawah, probably the smallest drainage among those listed for the OP, had the largest wild escapement. I hate to admit it, but I think the reasons the Calawah fares better than its neighbors are that accessible, fishable flows are the exception, and when it is fishable, it's the most difficult to access and toughest to row....

#982843 - 12/26/17 07:17 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Makes me wonder, too. So... how we doin' ?

http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/salmon/

Notably absent from that "plan" are planned actions with the intent of achieving the future goals. Oh, well. At least they set goals.

#982846 - 12/26/17 09:33 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Curious where those numbers came from? Published somewhere? Are they based on estimates or on the water redd counts. The last time I witnessed on the water counting on one of those rivers, it was a group of tribal folks floating in rubber rafts. Not to long after I read something about the counting accuracy and possible inflating of numbers, so as to keep the tribal commercial operations running.

#982848 - 12/26/17 09:57 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: RUNnGUN]
Hardware Offline
Juvenile at Sea

From what I have personally observed on the Green is 2 tribal guys in a rubber raft and 2 wdfw guys in an aluminum drifter taking counts of redds at the same time. Inflated numbers at the end of the day------who knows. What is known is the fish show up after our season has long been over.

#982850 - 12/26/17 10:45 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Spawner surveys are conducted a number of ways. Walking surveys if the stream is small enough, float for somewhat larger, and then there are (or have been) helicopter and airplane. Depending on species, the best numbers come from live counts, dead counts, redd counts.

Unless there is a trap where each and every fish is counted, the escapement estimates are, at best, an index of what actually spawned. That does not mean they are "wrong" or "right". What they are is not the actual number. But, if you do the surveys and estimates consistently within and between years then the numbers are a good measure of how well the stock is doing.

#982857 - 12/26/17 12:43 PM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
sleestak Offline
Fry

There has been a Didson Sonar system in use on the lower Hoh for two years now I believe. Not sure if these numbers reflect information from that tool or not. Haven't heard too much about it since it went in.

I've seen them flying helicopters for counts on the upper Hoh in the past, but haven't seen them for a couple of years. I've read a few stories about Idaho using "drones" (quadcopters) for counts these days, which promises to give similar results as helicopters at much lower cost.

If you pay attention in late-March/early-April you'll usually see the bubblegum pink redd markers either in the river or in the brush from the bank/float surveys.

Edited by sleestak (12/26/17 12:46 PM)

#982870 - 12/26/17 07:24 PM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: sleestak]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: sleestak
There has been a Didson Sonar system in use on the lower Hoh for two years now I believe. Not sure if these numbers reflect information from that tool or not. Haven't heard too much about it since it went in.

I've seen them flying helicopters for counts on the upper Hoh in the past, but haven't seen them for a couple of years. I've read a few stories about Idaho using "drones" (quadcopters) for counts these days, which promises to give similar results as helicopters at much lower cost.

If you pay attention in late-March/early-April you'll usually see the bubblegum pink redd markers either in the river or in the brush from the bank/float surveys.

Wow! You mention drones. Talk about a tool that could revolutionize research w/ accuracy! Along w/ enforcement. Gonna be strange hangn in a remote NW or BC stream and see a drone drop in checking you out. I guess it's the wave of the future. I'm kinda glad my fishing days are winding down.

#982876 - 12/27/17 07:43 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: eyeFISH]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Just viewed the video. Most of those people interviewed are long gone from WDFW. Heather Bartlett was key member and she left WDFW several years ago. Anderson is gone, not sure about Sara LaBorde. So the key leadership is no longer there to lead.

#982877 - 12/27/17 07:51 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
River Nutrients

Tug, when was the last time WDFW had "leaders"? Although that is a semi-sarcastic question there is a thread of real inquiry there.

#982883 - 12/27/17 09:22 AM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

All the rivers are stuffed with..........................................Aluminum and concrete.

#982899 - 12/27/17 04:40 PM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
Carcassman,

I guess I exaggerated. At least these were the leaders of the initiative that is now being disregarded. My misuse of the term. But thinking back, I had a lot of respect for Wilkerson and Moos. Of course a lot of respect for Haw, still do. I'll work more on my definition.

#982901 - 12/27/17 04:57 PM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
River Nutrients

Last Director I had much respect for was Rollie. Did enjoy working for/with Frank and really like the book he wrote.

Truthfully, the problem is that the agency is placed in a difficult situation and really has not developed good communication skills that gain at least public understanding if not support.

I remember when we (WDF) made a real effort to educate the PS net fishermen. Even when they did not agree with what we did, if they had it explained they would at least accept it. And, by having those conversations we learned stuff and changed direction when better information came in.

#982959 - 12/28/17 06:30 PM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
At least wild Steelhead are not circling the toilet bowl Coastwide:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/wildlife-committee-launches-emergency-assessment-for-b-c-steelhead-1.3720455

#982960 - 12/28/17 06:55 PM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: Jake Dogfish]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Jake Dogfish
At least wild Steelhead are not circling the toilet bowl Coastwide:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/wildlife-committee-launches-emergency-assessment-for-b-c-steelhead-1.3720455

That stock has one major culprit. Chum nets... and the DFO knows it but wont admit it. Wonder why?

#982981 - 12/29/17 12:09 PM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: Tug 3]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
Other than Jim Scott (the opening interview), the others in the video are gone, either retired (Anderson and Frazier) or moved to other agencies (Labored with Wild Salmon Center, Bartlett with DOE, Price and Moran w Feds). Anderson is still on the Pacific Fishery Management Council and the Pacific Salmon Commission. Its easy to get nostalgic about the leaders in the good 'ol days but these guys didn't have to juggle the complications of ESA issues with state-tribal catch sharing in the annual management.

The current Commission form of management has a "good" that no one individual has complete authority but the "bad" result is that no one individual is identified as the decision maker. There is a lot of authority/decision mush in this system. With the old style "Director" form of management ala WDF prior to 1995, at least you knew who made the decisions.

#983017 - 12/30/17 08:57 PM Re: Makes you wonder [Re: deerlick]
River Nutrients

Well, if we want control of the Commission then have an Initiative whereby they are elected. Say 4 Eastside residents, 4 West (elected by east or west voters) and 1 statewide (so no ties). Don't like the job they do, vote them out.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
BigRedHead, Gene, Milton Fisher, Selther, SpinyRayLover
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (seabeckraised, Carcassman), 429 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |